Discussion Covid19 Discussion: Policies, Impact, Comparisons

AFL Club
Sydney

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
For those who read a headline and not the article, these are the stats you need to know.

“More than 97 per cent of hospitalisation are among the unvaccinated, CDC director Rochelle Walensky said last week, while 99.5 per cent of people dying were unvaccinated, Surgeon General Vivek Murthy said last weekend.”

Enough said
Denmark can give a glimpse to hopefully Australia's near future. Maybe 6-8 weeks time.
Denmark - the size of Tasmania, the population of Victoria.
I've just checked our latest numbers.
1st vaccince shot - 78% - 25,000 in the past 24 hours.
2nd vaccine shot - 55% - 51,000 in the past 24 hours.
But here's what I take as the most important numbers.
Hospitalised 55, Intensive care 11, respirators 6.
We are currently getting 5,000 positives/week!!!!
Even with that high number of positives, our Hospital, ICU and ventilator numbers have dropped dramatically in the past month. We were consistently, for most of the first half of this year, sitting at 260, 60, 15. Now, with most of the country vaccinated, we are still getting a high number of positives, but the Hospital, ICU, and ventilator numbers have reduced dramatically. I can only put this down to, that while being vaccinated might not be a 100% prevention, it obviously leads to much more mild cases.
Denmark has been pretty much open for 5 or 6 weeks now. We no longer wear masks when shopping etc. Leading into that opening 5 or 6 weeks ago, our daily number of positives had dropped from a bit over 1,000/day in March/April to 230-250/day before we opened things again. Yes, the numbers have increased to 800/day (Keep in mind, we were getting 1,000/day in "lockdown", so 800/day when open is a lot less!) since we opened, but the dramatic drop in the Hospital, ICU and Ventilator numbers to me, says we have done the right thing. We are finding a way to live with it, and we have lessened it's worse case scenario.
Get vaccinated! The risk/reward undoubtedly says there is no excuse not to do it!

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Politicians, politically appointed health officers and the media have done a real number on Astra Zenica here in Australia.

Australia will never get to 80% vaccinated. We will be lucky to get to 65%.

Then what?

AFL Club
Sydney
Politicians, politically appointed health officers and the media have done a real number on Astra Zenica here in Australia.

Then what?
Yup, the AZ thing is a catastophe. I can also see why there is vaccine hesitancy for those not living cities or reliant on people from cities for their livelihoods.

AFL Club
St Kilda

Then what?
I reckon (hope) once the rubber hits the road with re-openings, etc, we'll get there. The anti-vaxx fringe has always been loud but our vaccination rates for other things are great. Emotions are so high and people are still in their trenches but once the carrots (free movement, etc.) and sticks ("we're opening anyway, so you're not protected anymore") are more obvious it will focus people's minds on what they actually think is important, and how they evaluate the competing risk factors. God I hope so.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Hey Gil.

Any chance you could take over from our Governments in organising our vaccine roll out? Your organisation‘s ability to get ahead of the issues and then act quickly and decisively when required has been outstanding. It is pity our elected representatives have shown no such capability.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Bulldogs
It is starting to feel like we are all stars in the Truman Show, and when I next walk out my from door, the compare of the Amazing Race will great me and say "You are in lockdown number six!"
Bro…have u seen ‘the maze runner’ 2014…u can probably relate to that character as well😁

Truman = True man = the true predicament of man and the deception that fools man into his cage. All a part of the matrix and the maze.

For those with eyes to see…We are also portrayed as the hosts in Westworld.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I have had one dose of Astrazeneca. I was just very sleepy the following day but fine after that. Second dose due in a few weeks. Note I have just turned 50 a few months ago.

I have no fear of the disease given I am fit, healthy and not in a high risk age bracket and the vast majority will recover from it quite quickly. I got it because society has proven itself incapable of maintaining perspective on this issue as well as distinguishing between what makes a difference and what does not. The only way out if this madness and removal of basic human rights (which the majority accept way too easily in my view) that I can see is for a critical mass to get vaccinated. It is the one practical thing I can do to help.

I don’t have any fear of the vaccine given I take much bigger risks every day either driving a car, flying in a plane, swimming in the ocean, climbing a ladder or spending another hour on my supercoach team with my wife‘s knowledge.

If I was 1 of the very small percentage who died from either the disease or the vaccine then that’s life. I could equally die in a car accident tomorrow (touch wood). However I certainly do not expect any governing body to protect me from that risk by removing the freedoms from others that I believe should be able to be taken for granted; see their family, travel interstate or overseas, run a business, earn a living, have friends over, go to a concert, go to the footy, play community sport, get married with as many guests as you like or pay your respect to a deceased person (my mother passed last year with only 10 allowed to attend the funeral).
I received my second dose of AstraZeneca yesterday with no ill effects.

As a fully vaccinated person I can now get justifiably miffed at these repeated and completely unsustainable (and now apparently ineffective) lockdowns denying me my basic human rights.

AFL Club
Brisbane
You can still catch and transmit the virus when vaccinated. You’re much less likely to get hospitalised or die than unvaccinated people. Despite NSW patchwork lockdown, they would be having 1000s not 100s of daily cases. Hospitals quickly overwhelmed and people with other emergency conditions under threat of not being treated. We’re not even 20% fully vaxxed whilst needing 70% to manage Delta which can’t be contained with just testing and tracing.

So I'm back, will look forward to reading over this thread next week or so. Haven't looked at it in weeks and weeks.

I think the horse has basically bolted in Australia, thanks to the "lets try to live with Covid/keep things open" approach from NSW.

I'm quite worried about people who do not have access to the vaccine, kids etc, I'm really not sure the Doherty model a lot of our approaches are based on is all that good.

At some stage, the pandemic will end, unfortunately we'll face an economy largely in tatters, hopefully we won't have the millions dead and many more facing long term health effects as is happening overseas.