Discussion Cricket Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
I was very surprised to see that he’s ranked 3rd for T20I batsmen, given the recent comments about his form.

I guess if it’s not in T20Is, it doesn’t matter, but the current rankings don’t accord with my perception of players’ quality as much as they typically do in other formats.
I think it is because it is based purely on T20Is where T20 is a game now played predominantly at a franchise level. Finch hardly made a run last BBL season. I don't think it makes for a good ranking system which is why you get anomalies like Malan being the best T20 batsmen. Also I think there needs to be better weighting for opposition. You cannot tell me half of the top 10 all rounders in T20 play for associate sides.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it is because it is based purely on T20Is where T20 is a game now played predominantly at a franchise level. Finch hardly made a run last BBL season. I don't think it makes for a good ranking system which is why you get anomalies like Malan being the best T20 batsmen. Also I think there needs to be better weighting for opposition. You cannot tell me half of the top 10 all rounders in T20 play for associate sides.
I’d agree with that. It indicated to me that there may also be a heavy weighting on very recent matches (I haven’t checked this), which has pros and cons as well.