Discussion Cricket Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
Khawaja possibly affected by his brothers situation and maybe somehow the injury he got in the UAE.

I thought he'd average close to 60 for the series and Shaun Marsh 45. Was way off. The others scored about what I expected.
Good point.

They were the 2 we all needed to perform.

AFL Club
Collingwood
CA has done it again

Shield resumes on Feb 23 , yet we will be touring India for 5 ODI's and T20's and then have a series against Pakistan (dates to be finalised) as well , so no red ball cricket available for any of those players to press forward their claims for a Ashes spot.

How long before CA reduce the Shield to 5 games a season and play red ball cricket from October to Jan 7 ? and then just play white ball cricket from Xmas Eve to Feb/March.

Our team performs like crap in the Test arena , and we scream out why.

Prepare them for Tests by playing Shield cricket and fix the schedule.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Trying to pick my Ashes team

1. Warner
2. Harris (?)
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc (?)
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood (?)

never been so unclear

2 Tests v SL
4 Shield Rounds + Final

ODI's v India
Tour of India
Tour of UAE (v Pakistan)

AFL Club
Sydney
Smith straight back in for The Ashes? I hope he's been working with a sports psychologist...

AFL Club
Essendon
The team I'd like to see for the ashes:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Wade
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

I believe that the 4 bowlers are currently our best options - would love to be proven otherwise.

Glenn Maxwell should be next in line should Wade/Handscomb fail.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Smith straight back in for The Ashes? I hope he's been working with a sports psychologist...
Depending on the dates they might be available to play the Pakistan series first (ODI & T20)

then World Cup , 1 warm up game , then Ashes

no pressure to save the entire batting lineup

I am sure the Barmy Army will give him a lovely friendly welcome hahaha.

Could very well completely end in tears

AFL Club
Collingwood
The team I'd like to see for the ashes:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Wade
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

I believe that the 4 bowlers are currently our best options - would love to be proven otherwise.

Glenn Maxwell should be next in line should Wade/Handscomb fail.
I am liking the Wade option more and more.

Would love to see Starc or Hazlewood dropped or at least given a kick in the arse.

Love to see Pattinson and Worrall/Sayers

AFL Club
Sydney
Depending on the dates they might be available to play the Pakistan series first (ODI & T20)

then World Cup , 1 warm up game , then Ashes

no pressure to save the entire batting lineup

I am sure the Barmy Army will give him a lovely friendly welcome hahaha.

Could very well completely end in tears
Missed Warner in there somehow lol, might even fly back to watch a few days!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Missed Warner in there somehow lol, might even fly back to watch a few days!
hopefully to cheer them on and not sledge them :)

hate to imagine what Anderson , Broad & co will do with a swinging ball

World Cup & Ashes, massive season

and the England v Ireland Test at Lords in between

AFL Club
Essendon
With regards to the bowling, while I do feel for them due to the pressure that Australia’s inept batting puts on them, there was a definite lack of variety by the Aussie fast bowlers especially when pitches were flatter and slower. When conditions suit them (pitches with some pace and bounce), they are hard to play. But at the MCG and SCG, they lacked venom and I honestly couldn’t tell you how many times I saw a yorker, a cutter of some sort or a slower ball because there weren’t many. Even changing the release point on the crease to create a different angle. Plan A seemed to be to attack the 4th or 5th stump and if that didn’t work, bowl short. On these slower lower wickets with very little movement, I feel they should have attacked the stumps more and set a straighter field. I think our paceman took like 1 LBW wicket for the whole series? Point is, they were all very one dimensional although Cummins used his cross seam balls to decent effect. Definitely the pick of our faster bowlers. Hazlewood and Starc looked flat as a tack. I do think that those 3 are best attack we’ve got but because they’ve got to think on their feet a little more when conditions don’t suit them, especially as they aren’t renown swing bowlers (Starc is but he has always been a bit loose with his control). If we are unable to do this then we will struggle on the flatter and slower decks in England. What do you guys think?

Even Gary, the last 2 tests the Indians seemed to play him a lot easier and seemed to lack a different plan. His first 2 tests were outstanding with the bat and ball, admittedly.

Indians outbowled us, even with the luxury of a big first innings score. They all swung the ball. Bumrah used change ups really well. What a series he had and a find he has been for them. Got every trick in the book but also very accurate, quick and unorthodox. Hope he stays fit and strong because he has champion written all over him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
What does McGrath always say , talk all the plans you want , I will just hit the top of off.

KISS , worked for him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Interestingly the last 4 Rounds of the Shield will be played with a Duke ball to get players used to English conditions

good thinking CA

* It is actually a different Duke ball to what they use in England
* Cummins , Hazlewood & Starc who would benefit most will be in India & UAE bowling with a white ball.

go figure

AFL Club
Collingwood
@30BucketsofRo

great post mate , well written and enjoyable to read.

I have been trying to think of a swing bowler we have had since Alderman , the only name I could come up with was Fleming.

For whatever reason I just don't think we know how to swing the ball consistently.

Boof's plan was to bowl 140+ kmh and bowl at the head , imagine if McGrath was playing under him.

I doubt the selectors will go away from Cummins , Pattinson & Starc but would love to see Behrendorff , Coulter-Nile , Sayers & Worrall picked.

Is Siddle a swing bowler ?

Interestingly there is a Australia A tour on at the same time so curious to see who is picked for that.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interestingly the last 4 Rounds of the Shield will be played with a Duke ball to get players used to English conditions

good thinking CA

* It is actually a different Duke ball to what they use in England
* Cummins , Hazlewood & Starc who would benefit most will be in India & UAE bowling with a white ball.

go figure
Geez, the Duke is supposed to create more movement ... if the Shield bowlers can use it well, the batting averages could be horrendous.

AFL Club
Collingwood
article on cricket.com explaining why Lynn & Short were dropped from the ODI , might be worth a read for those that were complaining about there omission.

Bizarrely though they brought back Khawaja who has the same weakness and they go to India and UAE before the World Cup.

I worry what sort of Test Squad Hohns/Chappell/Langer will give us tomorrow.

D/N Test in Brisbane please be brave and actually pick a fast bowler or 2 who can swing that ball......please.

AFL Club
Collingwood
CA XI v SL Jan 17-19 is a D/N in Hobart to help SL prepare for the Brisbane.

Our boys will be playing ODI's and Big Bash with a white ball.