Discussion Cricket Discussion

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the start of the 2013 Ashes Series now less than 20 days away I thought it was about time we got a thread going for all things Ashes and cricket related for the next 9 months, due to back-to-back series. With tour matches being played, as well as Australia A tours the make-up of the Aussie side for the first test is still unknown. With Chris Rogers continually making runs, Dave Warner's troubles and captain Clarke's back a worry, our batting line-up that is shaky at the best of times is a real problem area that needs to be address.

[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Date[/TD]
[TD]Match[/TD]
[TD]Venue[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]July 10 - 14[/TD]
[TD]1st Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Tent Bridge[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]July 18 - 22[/TD]
[TD]2nd Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Lord's[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 1 - 5[/TD]
[TD]3rd Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Old Trafford[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 9 - 13[/TD]
[TD]4th Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Durham[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 21 - 25[/TD]
[TD]5th Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]The Oval[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

2013 Ashes Squad - VB Tour of England

Michael Clarke(c)
Brad Haddin(vc)
Jackson Bird
Ed Cowan
James Faulkner
Ryan Harris
Phillip Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson
Chris Rogers
Peter Siddle
Steve Smith
Mitchell Starc
Matthew Wade
David Warner
Shane Watson

* Steve Smith was added to the initial Australian Squad as a reserve baseman due to ongoing concerns with skipper Michael Clarke's fitness.
* Leggie, Fawad Ahmed, could be added to the squad as a second spinner.

What side do you think Australia will field for the 1st Test come July 10??

Last edited:

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
XI - That I would like to see

1 - Shane Watson
2 - Chris Rogers
3 - Phil Hughes
4 - Usman Khawaja
5 - Michael Clarke (C)
6 - Brad Haddin (VC, WK)
7 - Matthew Wade
8 - James Pattinson
9 - Peter Siddle
10 - Mitchell Starc
11 - Jackson Bird/Nathan Lyon

* Note that I haven't included Warner as I believe he is a very long shot for the 1st Test.

XI - I think the selectors will choose

1 - Ed Cowan
2 - Chris Rogers
3 - Phil Hughes
4 - Shane Watson
5 - Michael Clarke (C)
6 - Usman Khawaja
7 - Brad Haddin (VC, WK)
8 - James Pattinson
9 - Peter Siddle
10 - Ryan Harris
11 - Nathan Lyon

AFL Club
Carlton
Watson has to be the man to stand up this series as a batsman and leader.
With Clarke back dodgy and Haddin needing to be keeper and Warner not showing leadership traits we need Watson to give the batting part of team some stability. He just has to be it or we are stuffed. There is no Hussey or Ponting maturity to calm mini-collapases and get back on track as they did many times so younger types like Hughes and Khwaja need stability around them from another leader in batting order to show how to build partnerships and innings momentum shifting forward for team. Watson to batting component of team needs to be what Siddle has been to the bowling component in recent years. He has to step up as a leader and give Clarke & Haddin the support they need in unoffficial sense. They'll both have so much on their plates themselves they need another senior member of team to show guidance too or this series will be a possible nightmare with batting collapses common theme.
With Warner out first game it means Rogers probably plays and Cowan is not one of my favourites but I guess he'll still get the gig as one of openers.

I'd prefer Watson open given circumstances now.

Watson
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Khawaja
Faulkner
Haddin
Starc
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon

would be my aim given those in touring party

Of course Warner won't make first team so Cowan will probably open with Rogers and Watson down lower order where Faulkner I placed for now.

I sense it will be a disaster though with Cowan and Rogers opening and early wickets putting too much pressure on Hughes at no.3 to thrive. We'll probably be always trying to get innings back on track but never have good starts to give us a better chance. No stability at all to batting order. Warner off field stupidity coming at all the wrong times as he is our best bat after Clarke and now he cannot be providing stable base to top of order. Our bowling stocks are so much better it is not funny. Ryan Harris and Bird as pace back up is fantastic depth to have. The new leggie I think is quality too and hopefully gets a run somewhere to get a proper look at on Test stage but not in official tour yet but probably added and considered a little later.

Impromptu

Strategist
AFL Club
Essendon
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Date[/TD]
[TD]Match[/TD]
[TD]Venue[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]July 10 - 14[/TD]
[TD]1st Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Tent Bridge[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]July 18 - 22[/TD]
[TD]2nd Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Lord's[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 1 - 5[/TD]
[TD]3rd Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Old Trafford[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 9 - 13[/TD]
[TD]4th Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]Durham[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]August 21 - 25[/TD]
[TD]5th Ashes Test[/TD]
[TD]The Oval[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Now that I work for myself and I am really looking forward to the Ashes :)

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you've both pretty much got the starting 11's spot on and we'll need to play Lyon as tempting as it would be to play another quick/seamer. We'll need someone to really step up with the bat, hoping its Khawaja.

I've been looking at the markets (Goodie's let us know if you want to keep the betting talk out and i'll move my post) trying to find something to keep me interested in the series..assuming we get smashed from day one. Anything that catches anyone's eye as good value?

Outright:
England 1.36 | Australia 4.50 | Draw 6.50

England Top Run Scorer:
Cook 3.75 | Trott 4.33 | KP 4.50 | Root 6.00 | Bell 7.00 | Compton 7.00 | Prior 11.00 | Bairstow 13.00

England Top Wicket Taker:
Anderson 2.87 | Swan 3.75 | Broad 4.00 | Finn 5.00 | Bresnan 11.00

Australia Top Run Scorer:
Clarke 3.50 | Rogers 5.00 | Watson 6.00 | Cowan 6.50 | Hughes 7.00 | Warner 7.50 | Haddin 15.00 | Khawaja 17.00

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you've both pretty much got the starting 11's spot on and we'll need to play Lyon as tempting as it would be to play another quick/seamer. We'll need someone to really step up with the bat, hoping its Khawaja.

I've been looking at the markets (Goodie's let us know if you want to keep the betting talk out and i'll move my post) trying to find something to keep me interested in the series..assuming we get smashed from day one. Anything that catches anyone's eye as good value?

Outright:
England 1.36 | Australia 4.50 | Draw 6.50

England Top Run Scorer:
Cook 3.75 | Trott 4.33 | KP 4.50 | Root 6.00 | Bell 7.00 | Compton 7.00 | Prior 11.00 | Bairstow 13.00

England Top Wicket Taker:
Anderson 2.87 | Swan 3.75 | Broad 4.00 | Finn 5.00 | Bresnan 11.00

Australia Top Run Scorer:
Clarke 3.50 | Rogers 5.00 | Watson 6.00 | Cowan 6.50 | Hughes 7.00 | Warner 7.50 | Haddin 15.00 | Khawaja 17.00
Nah IDIG its fine mate, anything Ashes can go here. :)
If Shane Watson opens in the first test him at $6 doesn't look to bad at all for Australia Top Run Scorer, especially if Pup is struggling. TBH I don't care who scare the most runs for the Aussies as long as they all get a heap so our bowlers have decent totals to defend.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
@Goodies

Completely agree with the XI you would like to see! Pretty much the best side we have, unless we brought Punter back and put him at 3 :p
I think you have to play Lyon, so the it would be out of Bird/Pattinson for that last seamer's spot. Faulkner's been in some amazing form too, we could get him in for some firepower with both bat and ball.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
@Goodies

Completely agree with the XI you would like to see! Pretty much the best side we have, unless we brought Punter back and put him at 3 :p
I think you have to play Lyon, so the it would be out of Bird/Pattinson for that last seamer's spot. Faulkner's been in some amazing form too, we could get him in for some firepower with both bat and ball.
Cheers Bomber18, yeah JPat has the new ball sewn up but like you I would love to see Bird and Faulkner also in the side at some stage.
Both of them can swing it and in English conditions will be quite hard to handle, well hopefully. With so many quality quicks, Nathan Lyon just needs to perform a role. The real issue is giving our bowlers enough runs to play with, if the top order can fire some shots we'll be in with a shot as long as we knock over Cook and Trott early.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
What about Ashton Agar? Seems to have very good bowling figures more often than not, and a handy bat as well.

Last edited:

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the completion of a successful Australia A tour, Steve Smith has officially been added to the Ashes squad. Young spinner Ashton Agar will also stay on with the squad as a development player.

Commenting on the decision, National Selector John Inverarity said: “The NSP advises that Steve Smith has been added to the Australian Ashes squad until the beginning of the Second Test when it will be reviewed. Given David Warner is unavailable for the upcoming tour games against Somerset and Worcestershire and while Michael Clarke continues to make good progress from a back injury, we feel further batting cover is required.

“Ashton Agar is to accompany the Ashes Squad until the beginning of the Second Test as a development player. This will be similar to the situation when Mitchell Starc accompanied the ODI, T20 and Test Squads on the tour to West Indies in 2012 as a development player.

“Fawad Ahmed will return to Australia tomorrow (Monday) while he goes through the processes required of him to become an Australian citizen and remains a player of interest to the National Selection Panel.”
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/news-archive/2013/6/24/steve-smith-added-to-australian-ashes-squad

AFL Club
Carlton
Arthur has been sacked and will be replaced by Boof. Good move imo.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Arthur has been sacked and will be replaced by Boof. Good move imo.
Yeah Leahman has had a lot of success in his short coaching career, just about every where he goes. I like the move but it hasn't occurred at a good time at all, only a few weeks out from the first test.

Michael Clarke is also set to step down as a selector in the aftermath of Mickey Arthur's sacking.

AFL Club
Essendon
I still think there is a serious lack of starch, grittiness in the batting line-up. Wouldn't be surprised if Anderson and Co completely expose Hughes if they knock off an opener quickly. If Ponting and Hussey were around, I would have liked Clarke to bat at 3. However, he offers so much more security at 4-5 with the brittle line-up we have.
Good battery of pace bowlers. I hope Lyon is given the license to give 'em a rip instead of playing the miser.

Line-up I would like to see:
Rogers
Watson
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird

There has been talk of Australia pulling off a victory like we did in 1989. In my view, that is unlikely. From what I've seen, this team lacks the mental edge the '89 squad had. Clarke is a great tactician, but I don't think he has the 'aura' or man-management ability of his previous 4 predecessors.
As much as I love Australia, England to win 3-0.

AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah Leahman has had a lot of success in his short coaching career, just about every where he goes. I like the move but it hasn't occurred at a good time at all, only a few weeks out from the first test.

Michael Clarke is also set to step down as a selector in the aftermath of Mickey Arthur's sacking.
Like the cricketers themselves I don't think the coach makes much difference, hence the timing doesn't really matter.

AFL Club
Carlton
Happier to have Boof in charge rather than a mole South African...lol... not that the coach means the same as in footy. But for morale I think this is a step forward

AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the completion of a successful Australia A tour, Steve Smith has officially been added to the Ashes squad. Young spinner Ashton Agar will also stay on with the squad as a development player.
Steve Smith is a hack - can't understand why Australia keeps going with him in Tests when he isn't a good enough bowler (there are many better), and his batting is nowhere good enough for him to get in as a batsman (again, many better). So, is he in as an all rounder? - if the answer is a yes, then they need a good hard look at themselves, because a barely good bowler and and a less good bat does not equal a good all round player. Possibly he is worth his place in a 20/20 or ODI side, but we are talking about Tests, not shorter forms of the game. Freddy Flintoff ruined Australian selections policies - the holy grail of players - a perfect all rounder - isn't available to Australia, no matter how hard they look. Waston is a good example for me, the quicker he is dropped, the quicker Australia can develop a player that has a heart and will make 100s.

Lyons is good enough to be the number 1 Test spinner, but he is no SK Warne. Another failing of the Australian selectors is that they think every spinner needs to be good enough to be the same as SK Warne - arguably the best spinner ever to play the game. They need to put trust in Lyon, get him to bowl slower, set good fields and trust him to get wickets. What they will do is dump him as soon as he 'fails' them in a game and throw the new recruit in... Sorry, for me that doesn't equal good selection policy, that equals chasing a dream...

Hopefully Boof thinks a bit further ahead than this series - to hope that we are going to be competitive in England this time round is crazy - they are simply too good and we are too poor. He should be aiming to be competitive in the Aust series, to develop a solid batting lineup, get rid of the old dead wood and work for the future.

My lineup is:

Cowan
Rogers
Clarke
Khawaja
Hughes
Warner
Wade (Payne as back up)
Starc
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon

Haddin isn't a good player that provides a solid head, he is a hack that swings a bat a bit.
Watson needs to go for the betterment of the team heart, and to be rid of his slack no bowling, barely batting moods.
Harris is too old and injury prone - better options like Fulkner, Bird, even MJ at a pinch.

VC is a good question, give it to Cowan and tell him to run better between wickets, we might get a good start in most games that way.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I guess if you are going to pick Wato, you need to open with him - he sulks too much otherwise.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After announcing last week that Shane Watson would return to opening the batting, new coach Darren Lehmann has also announced that 35 year old Chris Rogers will partner Watson at the top of the order.

Chris Rogers will return from the wilderness and open the batting for Australia alongside Shane Watson for the first Ashes Test in Nottingham starting on July 10.

The definitive call from new coach Darren Lehmann leaves incumbent Ed Cowan in the dark about where he will bat in the line-up, if indeed he can survive the cut for Trent Bridge.

Lehmann announced before the opening tour match against Somerset that Watson would return to his favoured position at the top of the order, and now on the eve of their final tune-up against Worcestershire, he's also locked in veteran Rogers.

The 35-year-old left-hander hasn't played a Test since his debut against India in 2008, but has compiled nearly 20,000 first class runs and has a tremendous record in English county cricket.

Rogers admits he thought his chances of playing Test cricket had dried up.

"I'm naturally excited. It's a huge thrill. Anyone who has been selected doesn't want to be a one-Test wonder," Rogers said.

"I had probably given up hope at times but I guess with the new selection committee and retirements of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey it gave me a bit of hope that they would pick an older head.

"I can just enjoy it and really see that there is nothing to lose. I didn't expect this opportunity and hopefully I can play well. If that happens hopefully we can win a few games as well."

Rogers has scored over 10,000 runs in county cricket and is the top run scorer in the top division this season with 790 runs at 65.83.

He believes experience has got him over the line, with the swinging Dukes ball a difficult beast to contain in English conditions.

"I think you need to get a real feel for it, particularly as an opening batsman," he said.

"The ball is going to do some crazy things at times.

Where Cowan will bat in Worcester is unknown, although his skills and experience are better suited to filling the No.3 void than moving down to No.5 or 6.

Cowan averages 32 from his 17 Tests playing exclusively as an opener, with his one and only hundred coming last year in Brisbane.

Lehmann left out Usman Khawaja from the Worcester match, but retained Cowan and Phil Hughes - suggesting Khawaja is once again on the outer to start a Test tour.

However, the coach refused to confirm the other positions in the order and was adamant that not too much should be read into the tour game.

Lehmann said he would have liked to have seen more wickets from Siddle on the Australia A tour and the last tour match against Somerset, but said the fast bowler was still in the mix to play the first Test.

It would appear James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc are certainties to lead the attack, with Siddle to be given a run for his position by Ryan Harris.

Lehmann said he'd be open to playing five bowlers if the conditions were right, and that's the only scenario where bowling allrounder James Faulkner would play.

Middle order batsman Steve Smith and spinner Ashton Agar, originally drafted to stay until the end of the first Test, will now in all likelihood stay with the squad for the duration of the tour.

Australians for Worcester match (batting order unconfirmed): Shane Watson, Ed Cowan, Chris Rogers, Michael Clarke (capt), Phil Hughes, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Nathan Lyon (12th man).

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After announcing last week that Shane Watson would return to opening the batting, new coach Darren Lehmann has also announced that 35 year old Chris Rogers will partner Watson at the top of the order.

Chris Rogers will return from the wilderness and open the batting for Australia alongside Shane Watson for the first Ashes Test in Nottingham starting on July 10.

The definitive call from new coach Darren Lehmann leaves incumbent Ed Cowan in the dark about where he will bat in the line-up, if indeed he can survive the cut for Trent Bridge.

Lehmann announced before the opening tour match against Somerset that Watson would return to his favoured position at the top of the order, and now on the eve of their final tune-up against Worcestershire, he's also locked in veteran Rogers.

The 35-year-old left-hander hasn't played a Test since his debut against India in 2008, but has compiled nearly 20,000 first class runs and has a tremendous record in English county cricket.

Rogers admits he thought his chances of playing Test cricket had dried up.

"I'm naturally excited. It's a huge thrill. Anyone who has been selected doesn't want to be a one-Test wonder," Rogers said.

"I had probably given up hope at times but I guess with the new selection committee and retirements of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey it gave me a bit of hope that they would pick an older head.

"I can just enjoy it and really see that there is nothing to lose. I didn't expect this opportunity and hopefully I can play well. If that happens hopefully we can win a few games as well."

Rogers has scored over 10,000 runs in county cricket and is the top run scorer in the top division this season with 790 runs at 65.83.

He believes experience has got him over the line, with the swinging Dukes ball a difficult beast to contain in English conditions.

"I think you need to get a real feel for it, particularly as an opening batsman," he said.

"The ball is going to do some crazy things at times.

Where Cowan will bat in Worcester is unknown, although his skills and experience are better suited to filling the No.3 void than moving down to No.5 or 6.

Cowan averages 32 from his 17 Tests playing exclusively as an opener, with his one and only hundred coming last year in Brisbane.

Lehmann left out Usman Khawaja from the Worcester match, but retained Cowan and Phil Hughes - suggesting Khawaja is once again on the outer to start a Test tour.

However, the coach refused to confirm the other positions in the order and was adamant that not too much should be read into the tour game.

Lehmann said he would have liked to have seen more wickets from Siddle on the Australia A tour and the last tour match against Somerset, but said the fast bowler was still in the mix to play the first Test.

It would appear James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc are certainties to lead the attack, with Siddle to be given a run for his position by Ryan Harris.

Lehmann said he'd be open to playing five bowlers if the conditions were right, and that's the only scenario where bowling allrounder James Faulkner would play.

Middle order batsman Steve Smith and spinner Ashton Agar, originally drafted to stay until the end of the first Test, will now in all likelihood stay with the squad for the duration of the tour.

Australians for Worcester match (batting order unconfirmed): Shane Watson, Ed Cowan, Chris Rogers, Michael Clarke (capt), Phil Hughes, Steve Smith, Brad Haddin, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Nathan Lyon (12th man).