Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just saw the list of batsmen coming in next and Wade was listed before Head. That’s how it was in the last match, but I assumed that was a one-off to lift the run rate?
Wade in ahead of Head, but could be the same rationale again at 3/490 ... ?!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure why Aus are still batting!!!!
Nothing to achieve, and robbing themsleves of time to bowl them out twice.
Warner has his 300, declare already!!!!!

AFL Club
Collingwood
one of the few batting records Bradman didn't/doesn't own , fastest to 7000 runs in terms of Innings

Smudge in 126 Innings passing the previous record of Wally Hammond in 131 Innings.

and yep I know Sir Don 6996 runs in 80 Innings amazing ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why Aus are still batting!!!!
Nothing to achieve, and robbing themsleves of time to bowl them out twice.
Warner has his 300, declare already!!!!!
apparently the ball does funny things at Adelaide Oval under the lights in the last session (30 overs might be enough) , wouldn't know with this Pakistan bowling attack , don't think I have seen anything worse in my time watching Test cricket

mind you it is Pakistan , so they might have some very good bets going on

AFL Club
Collingwood
Warner 335*

do the public forgive and love him again

would have let him had a crack at Haydos record and Lara personally

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Warner 335*

do the public forgive and love him again

would have let him had a crack at Haydos record and Lara personally
It’s a question a couple of other people have already raised to me in the last 24 hours. I’m still not sure.

10th highest score of all time, and unbeaten.

AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s a question a couple of other people have already raised to me in the last 24 hours. I’m still not sure.

10th highest score of all time, and unbeaten.
I doubt the full story will ever come out , thought he was a total dickhead before SA and still do (never met him in person so maybe that opinion will change if I ever do)

have to admire him and respect his batting record though.

might have to play around on HowStats later and see how many have score more runs & centuries in Australia.

AFL Club
Sydney
Weak captaincy; should have declared when Warner was 334* and shown some respect to history by having him join Tubby in equalling the Don's mark.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Weak captaincy; should have declared when Warner was 334* and shown some respect to history by having him join Tubby in equalling the Don's mark.
maybe he should have declared when he was 299* then so they could share the highest score at Adelaide Oval jointly.

Taylor should have declared immediately then as well and not faced those 2 extra balls , if it wasn't for a miraculous piece of fielding by Ijaz (of all people) he would have beaten Bradman's score outright himself.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
A couple of points Herbie to clarify my comment.
First, Taylor was the captain. I'd be surprised if he knew that he was even near to one of the Don's benchmarks. Maybe he made the best of it by (cynically) declaring the next morning when the score comparison was clear. I prefer to think otherwise - older, wiser heads advised and Tubby's place in Australian cricket history was enhanced.
Second, yesterday Australia had a time and score in mind as to when they would declare. 50 less runs and approx. half an hour earlier was not it. When the decision was immenint, the captain had a choice. When Warner was on 334* he could have pulled them in. But no; he waited for the end of the over and Warner got to 335*. If no-one in the management group was aware of history, then shame on them.
Third, I am not an Australian. I am an ex-cricketer who chooses to stay abreast of the history of the game. As I advance in years (now 70*) my memory fails me a times. However, I do recall when I read of Taylor declaring and equalling the Don's score. I was delighted at that decision. Dumbstruck, but delighted. It's just a personal opinion, but in time I reckon Warner will look back and wish the captain had pulled the plug when he was on 334*.

AFL Club
Collingwood
A couple of points Herbie to clarify my comment.
First, Taylor was the captain. I'd be surprised if he knew that he was even near to one of the Don's benchmarks. Maybe he made the best of it by (cynically) declaring the next morning when the score comparison was clear. I prefer to think otherwise - older, wiser heads advised and Tubby's place in Australian cricket history was enhanced.
Second, yesterday Australia had a time and score in mind as to when they would declare. 50 less runs and approx. half an hour earlier was not it. When the decision was immenint, the captain had a choice. When Warner was on 334* he could have pulled them in. But no; he waited for the end of the over and Warner got to 335*. If no-one in the management group was aware of history, then shame on them.
Third, I am not an Australian. I am an ex-cricketer who chooses to stay abreast of the history of the game. As I advance in years (now 70*) my memory fails me a times. However, I do recall when I read of Taylor declaring and equalling the Don's score. I was delighted at that decision. Dumbstruck, but delighted. It's just a personal opinion, but in time I reckon Warner will look back and wish the captain had pulled the plug when he was on 334*.
No probs.

Articles I have read said Taylor was well aware of Bradman's 304 , Cowper's 307 & Simpson's 311and actually told his batting partner when he passed them , so pretty sure he would have known about the 334 (I have never met Tubby to ask him to confirm if this is 100%).

Massive Taylor fan here myself and from all accounts he agonised all night over the decision to declare straight away or bat for another 20 minutes , but then thought people would just think he was after the record himself.

Remember listening to it on the radio.

I guess yesterday's declaration timing would all depend on giving them enough time to win the match and get 60 points in the WTC , forecasts have most of today being a wash out , mind you given how poor Pakistan looked last night they might only need another 50 overs or so to bowl them out twice (hopefully Babar stands up and gets some support).

I guess unless we are in the inner sanctum we won't know the full details of the declaration , personally I think I would have said right you can have a crack at Haydos & Lara's record.

Be interesting to know how Warner really felt when he saw Paine calling them in.

I am 53 myself and a huge student of the history of Test Cricket myself.

Great post btw ?

AFL Club
Sydney
That’s a tough one in regards to Warner’s record. They only batted 127 overs for the innings, so they were going at a sensational clip (over 4.6 an over). This would have contributed to the luxury of staying out there for more runs, but not really hurting the game in terms of time.

Pakistan had just under 30 minutes to bat before the dinner break. 5-7 overs is always nasty for an opening batsmen to have to go out there for before a break, so I think that was great captaincy from Paine to give them that difficult time to negotiate. It produced a wicket, so I believe that’s a successful tactical declaration.

With the twilight session approaching as well, they wouldn’t have wanted to waste the new ball too much before it started doing tricks under lights.

The other thing was that Warner was 330 before the start of that last over of the innings. He scored 5 off it and off the last delivery was the single to take him past Bradman. Paine would’ve copped more criticism for pulling him off with one ball left than doing what he did.

Either way, it’s a sensational effort to score at an 80 strike rate for over 400 deliveries. Don’t think you’ll see much like it again.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
For what it’s worth a large number of people at the ground, including Warner, knew about the 334 (the crowd clapped it spontaneously, and Warner acknowledged the applause, albeit in a more muted manner than his 100/200/300).

I’d be surprised if serious cricket fans didn’t know about it, and almost everyone has a smartphone now, so I’m sure the Australian leadership team would have been aware of it. It’s also a more famous number because of Taylor’s declaration.

My reading is that the declaration came at the end of the relevant over because that seems to be how it’s conventionally done. With the opportunity to think further about it, I agree that they should have done it on 334, although I’m not sure that they would have thought about it that way at the time. There is no guarantee that Warner would ever be on exactly 334 ... even if he had been trying to do so by only taking singles, he could have got an edge on 333 and gone straight past 334 had it gone to the boundary. Admittedly then Paine and others probably would have escaped any comment or criticism though.