Discussion Cricket Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
You would think. The Dunk contract is one of the more extraordinary deals in BBL history in my eyes.
What did he get, a four year deal at ridiculous money?!?! I saw that article as well, and it sounded as though he'll still be there next year, I'm guessing it would cost them more to pay him out (and pay a replacement), than to just wear it for another year.

Handscomb is an interesting one, a move is probably needed for both him personally and the Stars. Maxwell at 3/4 depending on the situation, an in form Maddison, and when needed Nick Larkin seems to fire for them whilst not being a sexy option as such. They probably could do with a better finisher in that 5/6 spot. So yeah, all in all I losing Handscomb wouldn't be the end of the world for the Stars. He'd be a decent pickup for the Hurricane's, maybe even the Thunder.
I like Handscomb as a opener or # 3 , so might be a good fit at the Hurricanes with Wade (when available) , Short and McDermott at 3/4.

Bailey retired , Miller won't be back so expect they will be looking (needing) to sign some top notch replacements.

Thunder wouldn't be a bad fit either.

I can't recall Dunk's contract , was something crazy , might do some googling tomorrow.

Stars were unlucky with Cartwright's injury , he and Stoinis were starting to work well together.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Wouldn’t mind seeing Handscomb at the Thunder. Would be a better keeping option than the youngsters we’ve had recently and he’s a top order bat, which we do desperately need. Would mean good things for his SuperCoach scoring too you would think as the home ground is nowhere near as big.
No idea what will happen with OS players this year

BBL|10 squad so far: Jonathan Cook, Oliver Davies, Brendan Doggett, Callum Ferguson, Matt Gilkes, Chris Green, Usman Khawaja, Nathan McAndrew, Alex Ross, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

BBL|09 squad members off contract: Liam Bowe, Alex Hales (Eng), Liam Hatcher, Jay Lenton, Chris Morris (SA), Arjun Nair, Gurinder Sandhu

AFL Club
Collingwood
Adelaide Strikers

BBL|10 squad so far: Travis Head, Michael Neser, Harry Nielsen, Matt Short, Peter Siddle, Billy Stanlake, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Jon Wells

Brisbane Heat

BBL|10 squad so far: Tom Banton (Eng), Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Matthew Kuhnemann, Ben Laughlin, Chris Lynn, Jimmy Peirson

Hobart Hurricanes

BBL|10 squad so far: Scott Boland, Jake Doran, James Faulkner, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, David Moody, D'Arcy Short, Matthew Wade

Melbourne Renegades

BBL|10 squad so far: Cameron Boyce, Dan Christian, Zak Evans, Aaron Finch, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Mackenzie Harvey, Jon Holland, Shaun Marsh, Kane Richardson, Will Sutherland, Beau Webster, Jack Wildermuth

Melbourne Stars

BBL|10 squad so far: Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Dunk, Seb Gotch, Clint Hinchliffe, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Tom O'Connell, Marcus Stoinis, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa

Perth Scorchers

BBL|10 squad so far: Ashton Agar, Fawad Ahmed, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Mitchell Marsh, Kurtis Patterson, Jhye Richardson, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Sam Whiteman

Sydney Sixers

BBL|10 squad so far: Sean Abbott, Jackson Bird, Tom Curran (Eng), Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nathan Lyon, Stephen O'Keefe, Josh Philippe, Lloyd Pope, Jordan Silk

Sydney Thunder

BBL|10 squad so far: Jonathan Cook, Oliver Davies, Brendan Doggett, Callum Ferguson, Matt Gilkes, Chris Green, Usman Khawaja, Nathan McAndrew, Alex Ross, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain

AFL Club
Sydney
Really interesting 12 months for the England bowling line-up. All gearing toward the Ashes, obviously. Broad and Anderson both later 30s by then, but still bring plenty in the right conditions.
Somehow don’t think we will see Anderson for the Ashes out here. He will need something extra special to keep him going for the next 12-15 months. The motivation may not quite be there to endure a hard slog with the kookaburra ball.

Archer, Broad and Woakes you would assume are locks. Wood probably gets the nod because of the threat of pace. Curran is an interesting one as some of Australia’s lineup actually find left handed bowlers tough to handle. Not totally impressed by Bess as of yet, he could very well improve a heap over the next year with a prolonged stint in the team though, which should be the aim of the England selectors.

Batting wise, it’s hard to say, as you can already see some cracks in the top order, which I think can be exploited by the extra bounce over here. Stokes will be a thorn in our side again, as he was quite good over here last time round with the bat.

Will definitely be a good series to see where each teams batting is at, that’s for sure.

Also interested to see if Tim Paine is still captain by that time or if they’ll have moved him on for one of the younger keepers around. The rest of the team should stay fairly stable apart from who opens with Warner.

AFL Club
Sydney
His words this morning spoke quite clearly to him believing he’s in the best bowling line-up. That said, he’s often struggled over here.

I’m hoping Stokes continues to elevate himself, I find Ashes series very often are “hero series” that need 1 or 2 to galvanise an entire side (even if the rest are not near their level)

AFL Club
Sydney
His words this morning spoke quite clearly to him believing he’s in the best bowling line-up. That said, he’s often struggled over here.

I’m hoping Stokes continues to elevate himself, I find Ashes series very often are “hero series” that need 1 or 2 to galvanise an entire side (even if the rest are not near their level)
I have no doubt he believes that, but a year is a very long time in a cricketer’s career. Only takes one off series or an injury before he calls it curtains. England have taken the right approach to trying to elongate his career by resting him the previous match, so they’re giving him every chance.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watching the 3rd test between Eng & WI.

After 20 overs WI were 2 for 52.

All 4 English bowlers (Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes) had bowler 5 overs and conceded 13 runs.

This is sort of quirky stat that amuses me.
I was watching as well, it was elite looking at that bowling card.

Broad & Archer both had 5 overs, 1 maiden, 1/13.
Anderson & Woakes both had 5 overs, 0 maidens, 0/13.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Really interesting 12 months for the England bowling line-up. All gearing toward the Ashes, obviously. Broad and Anderson both later 30s by then, but still bring plenty in the right conditions.
Surely they have to leave both of them at home , as great as they have been and base their attack on pace.

Not sure if Stone & Wood both can last a full series though , Archer is already complaining about the Kookaburra ball (well get in the nets and practice bowling with it)

Woakes is as bad as Guiness away from home.

Don't know enough about Overton.

Maybe Curran x 2

Actually upon writing this on reflection if their is a D/N test at Adelaide then Anderson is a lock , possibly he & Broad will be still useful at the Gabba so maybe just pick them for those 2 Tests.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Somehow don’t think we will see Anderson for the Ashes out here. He will need something extra special to keep him going for the next 12-15 months. The motivation may not quite be there to endure a hard slog with the kookaburra ball.

Archer, Broad and Woakes you would assume are locks. Wood probably gets the nod because of the threat of pace. Curran is an interesting one as some of Australia’s lineup actually find left handed bowlers tough to handle. Not totally impressed by Bess as of yet, he could very well improve a heap over the next year with a prolonged stint in the team though, which should be the aim of the England selectors.

Batting wise, it’s hard to say, as you can already see some cracks in the top order, which I think can be exploited by the extra bounce over here. Stokes will be a thorn in our side again, as he was quite good over here last time round with the bat.

Will definitely be a good series to see where each teams batting is at, that’s for sure.

Also interested to see if Tim Paine is still captain by that time or if they’ll have moved him on for one of the younger keepers around. The rest of the team should stay fairly stable apart from who opens with Warner.
The other Pope might be in their side by then ?

Burns
Sibley
?
Root
Stokes
Pope

Personally would like to see Bairstow at 3 , not sure on Crawley or maybe Lawrence gets ago

Buttler or Foakes keeping.

AFL Club
Collingwood

I think Paine will be gone , I certainly hope we have a replacement at 5 for Wade by then.

Head and Burns probably both need to have secured their spots.

Fingers crossed for Pucovski and the whole country will be watching Green this summer to see if he is the real deal.

Personally hope the next keeper is Inglis/Phillippe but expect it will be Carey.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Woakes

4 Tests in Australia
10 Wickets @ 40.50
SR 100.20
Best 4/30

Home 76 wickets * in 21 tests
Away 25 wickets in 14 tests