Discussion Cricket Discussion

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sad News: Former Australia cricketer, coach and commentator Dean Jones has died at the age of 59.

RIP - Used to love watching him play

Dean Jones, the former Australia batsman, has died on Thursday after a heart attack in Mumbai. He was 59. Jones, who was is in India as a commentator for the IPL, is understood to have suffered a massive heart attack around noon IST.

"It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Dean Mervyn Jones AM," Star India, whom Jones was a commentator for, confirmed through a statement. "He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time.

"Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with Cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young Cricketers. He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe."

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Dean Jones, the former Australia batsman, has died on Thursday after a heart attack in Mumbai. He was 59. Jones, who was is in India as a commentator for the IPL, is understood to have suffered a massive heart attack around noon IST.

"It is with great sadness that we share the news of the passing away of Dean Mervyn Jones AM," Star India, whom Jones was a commentator for, confirmed through a statement. "He died of a sudden cardiac arrest. We express our deep condolences to his family and stand ready to support them in this difficult time.

"Dean Jones was one of the great ambassadors of the game associating himself with Cricket development across South Asia. He was passionate about discovering new talent and nurturing young Cricketers. He was a champion commentator whose presence and presentation of the game always brought joy to millions of fans. He will be sorely missed by everyone at Star and his millions of fans across the globe."
Sad news about Dean Jones. His best was slightly before my time, but his record is outstanding, and I remember the crowd signs at the G to “bring back Deano” long after he had retired.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Sad news about Dean Jones. His best was slightly before my time, but his record is outstanding, and I remember the crowd signs at the G to “bring back Deano” long after he had retired.
At his prime their wouldn't have been too many ODI batsmen above him , Viv was in a class of his own.

Was years ahead of his time.

Be hard to say Australia has had better ODI batsmen since him , even considering Junior , Punter , Gilly & Haydos

AFL Club
Carlton
Sitting watching tv my wife casually says "did you hear Dean Jones has died".
Disbelief is followed by a grab for the phone which confirms and then shock follows.
A great of Australian cricket as all the posts above confirm.
Always hits hard when someone that shares your year of birth passes.
Vale Deano.
Commiserations to all family and friends.

AFL Club
Sydney
At his prime their wouldn't have been too many ODI batsmen above him , Viv was in a class of his own.

Was years ahead of his time.

Be hard to say Australia has had better ODI batsmen since him , even considering Junior , Punter , Gilly & Haydos
Different position in the order, but Michael Bevan would come close.

AFL Club
Sydney
Finally got a chance to watched the fox recording of the 145 at the gabba in 1990, I was at that game (yep I'm old), I'll never forget it

gee I loved watching him play, incredible bat speed, incredible foot speed,