Discussion Cricket Discussion

Impromptu

Strategist
AFL Club
Essendon
Conway last man out

Run out for 200

2nd NZ , 7th overall to score a double century on debut
If you just scored 200 on debut at Lords and you got out by a run out would you be annoyed?

I think Conway as a professional athlete, Conway would be a bit annoyed but obviously happy with the 200.

AFL Club
Carlton
After the talk of South African-born players earlier in the thread I got to wondering whether a team of South African expats would beat the current South African team.

My only condition was they had to actually have played in the South African system (so no Labuschagne, for example) and obviously are still active. Came up with this...

van Zyl
Jennings
Conway
Roussow
Kuhn
Wiese
Vilas
Harmer
Wagner
Abbott
Olivier

Probably missing some obvious ones (I took most of them off the Kolpak list) but I reckon they'd give the current side a run for their money!

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
After the talk of South African-born players earlier in the thread I got to wondering whether a team of South African expats would beat the current South African team.

My only condition was they had to actually have played in the South African system (so no Labuschagne, for example) and obviously are still active. Came up with this...

van Zyl
Jennings
Conway
Roussow
Kuhn
Wiese
Vilas
Harmer
Wagner
Abbott
Olivier

Probably missing some obvious ones (I took most of them off the Kolpak list) but I reckon they'd give the current side a run for their money!
Not sure whether Pietersen would qualify?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's the story with this pommy getting stood down after making his debut, because of 2 tweets he made 8 or 9 years ago????!!!!

The tweets were known about before he debuted.
He was something like 19, and thought they were funny.
It was EIGHT YEARS AGO, and you knew about them before he debuted.
He has apologized.
It was 8 years ago, fcs!!!

If this is the new standard players have to live up to, professional sport will soon only have Buddhist Monks, lost tribes in New Guinea, and 8 year olds that have been raised in a bubble eligible to play!!!!

When will people, and those in authority, stop bending to this snowflake, everything and everyone has to be as pure as mountain water, holier than thou attitude???

It is taking the gloss and joy out of everything!!!

The "woke" culture is just beyond a joke. smh.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
What's the story with this pommy getting stood down after making his debut, because of 2 tweets he made 8 or 9 years ago????!!!!

The tweets were known about before he debuted.
He was something like 19, and thought they were funny.
It was EIGHT YEARS AGO, and you knew about them before he debuted.
He has apologized.
It was 8 years ago, fcs!!!

If this is the new standard players have to live up to, professional sport will soon only have Buddhist Monks, lost tribes in New Guinea, and 8 year Olds that have been raised in a bubble eligible to play!!!!

When will people, and those in authority, stop bending to this snowflake, everything and everyone has to as pure as mountain water, holy than thou attitude???

It is taking the gloss and joy out of everything!!!

The "woke" culture is just beyond a joke. smh.
For won't of being mistaken for an owl: who, who?

AFL Club
Carlton
Was just talking about this with a few friends this morning and it's a bad situation made even worse by the fact that the ECB, which has meted out this punishment on one hand, is on the other fighting with its own Black umpires and match referees about racist treatment they've endured in the course of their duties!

(some background: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/john-holder-sues-ecb-over-alleged-racial-discrimination-1245910 and https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...uous-over-racial-discrimination-claim-1265155 )

Hard to know exactly how much the ECB have done since then to improve their standing among marginalised communities but it certainly sounds like Robinson himself has had a fair bit of recalibration in the intervening years. If anything, given they had to have known about it at the time (he was a county player even then), the ECB really haven't done their due diligence here and they've taken it out on him. Bizarre all round.

AFL Club
Collingwood
W Agar , Christian , Ellis , Green , McDermott & Turner added to the WI/Bangladesh Squad (now 29)

Will be trimmed before departure on the 28th.

Still talk Cummins & Warner both will be withdrawing.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Reasonable PSL game from Rashid overnight

4-0-9-1 & 15* (5)

Match winning partnership with Tim David 23* (15)

Dunk & Faulkner his teammates as well.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Jayden Seales on Test Debut for the West Indies.

Has played 1 first class game in his career where he took 1 wicket