Discussion Cricket Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
View: https://twitter.com/sportasmile/status/1403336931916746753?s=21

Former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has apologised after footage of his ugly dummy spit during a Dhaka League match in Mirpur went viral on social media platforms.
Representing Mohammedan Sporting Club on Friday, Al Hasan lost his temper with the on-field umpires on two occasions and subsequently faces the possibility of a lengthy suspension.

The first incident occurred in the fifth over of Abahani Limited’s run chase after the 34-year-old was denied an LBW shout.
Al Hasan responded by kicking over the stumps at the non-striker’s end and confronting the umpire in a fierce altercation

The skipper fired up once again the following over when umpires decided to halt play due to heavy rain at Shere Bangla National Stadium.
Al Hasan picked up the three stumps at the non-striker’s end and dangerously threw them onto the pitch.
He was later filmed engaging in a war of words with Abahani coach Khaled Mahmud, who is also a Bangladesh Cricket Board director.
The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Wu described it as “an extraordinary dummy spit”, while former Kent all-rounder Fabian Cowdrey tweeted, “I don’t care how OUT he thinks this is, there’s no room in our sport for this behaviour.”

:eek:

AFL Club
Hawthorn

Former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has apologised after footage of his ugly dummy spit during a Dhaka League match in Mirpur went viral on social media platforms.
Representing Mohammedan Sporting Club on Friday, Al Hasan lost his temper with the on-field umpires on two occasions and subsequently faces the possibility of a lengthy suspension.

The first incident occurred in the fifth over of Abahani Limited’s run chase after the 34-year-old was denied an LBW shout.
Al Hasan responded by kicking over the stumps at the non-striker’s end and confronting the umpire in a fierce altercation

The skipper fired up once again the following over when umpires decided to halt play due to heavy rain at Shere Bangla National Stadium.
Al Hasan picked up the three stumps at the non-striker’s end and dangerously threw them onto the pitch.
He was later filmed engaging in a war of words with Abahani coach Khaled Mahmud, who is also a Bangladesh Cricket Board director.
The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Wu described it as “an extraordinary dummy spit”, while former Kent all-rounder Fabian Cowdrey tweeted, “I don’t care how OUT he thinks this is, there’s no room in our sport for this behaviour.”

That's pretty epic. Given the first incident I'm surprised he was still on the field for the second. I feel like umpires should have the power to effectively red card a player off the field if they do something that blatant.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Broad now gone past Walsh (519)

Moves into 6th all time Test Leading Wicket Takets

Anderson currently 2 behind Kumble (619)

AFL Club
Hawthorn

Just a 3 match ban for all of this. (Steve Smith was robbed...)

It seems the first outburst was related to 'suspected' favouritism by the umpires. The second outburst is currently unexplained, as Shakib's team was ahead on DLS when the players were taken off for rain.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Broad now gone past Walsh (519)

Moves into 6th all time Test Leading Wicket Takets

Anderson currently 2 behind Kumble (619)
England's batting fell over last night and immediately there is pressure on them for the Ashes.

NZ essentially rotated/rested half of their team so they could focus on the test championship final. Maybe we are seeing, or on the verge of, a real golden period for NZ test cricket. It's not easy for them with a small population and an audience that has rugby union at number 1. I just wish they were a bit more competitive when playing in Oz.

AFL Club
Collingwood
England's batting fell over last night and immediately there is pressure on them for the Ashes.

NZ essentially rotated/rested half of their team so they could focus on the test championship final. Maybe we are seeing, or on the verge of, a real golden period for NZ test cricket. It's not easy for them with a small population and an audience that has rugby union at number 1. I just wish they were a bit more competitive when playing in Oz.
Cricket.com.au had a good article on England's batting woes today , placing a lot of faith in Buttler & Stokes returning.

Problem they face now is a lack of red ball cricket before the India tests to try and get some confidence.

Be in huge problems if they keep failing against India as these are supposedly the best they have.

Was massively dissapointing with how Latham , Williamson , Taylor & Nicholls performed out here.

@Woosie is the expert on NZ cricket , think their was a article 12-18 months suggesting 5-6 of the current team are probably among their best ever.

AFL Club
Brisbane
Cricket.com.au had a good article on England's batting woes today , placing a lot of faith in Buttler & Stokes returning.

Problem they face now is a lack of red ball cricket before the India tests to try and get some confidence.

Be in huge problems if they keep failing against India as these are supposedly the best they have.

Was massively dissapointing with how Latham , Williamson , Taylor & Nicholls performed out here.

@Woosie is the expert on NZ cricket , think their was a article 12-18 months suggesting 5-6 of the current team are probably among their best ever.
NZ Cricket has definitely seen some talent, more so in recent years.

Players can always learn from those that go before them. But it takes a great player to listen, even when you don't think you need to. When the guys started to listen, they started to grow. This is when NZ Cricket started to go to another level.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/martin-crowe-a-letter-to-new-zealand-s-batsmen-592518

AFL Club
Collingwood

Players can always learn from those that go before them. But it takes a great player to listen, even when you don't think you need to. When the guys started to listen, they started to grow. This is when NZ Cricket started to go to another level.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/martin-crowe-a-letter-to-new-zealand-s-batsmen-592518
Haven't seen that before , geez as great as Williamson has been I still rate Crowe higher.

I know you might have posted it before , but would love to see your dad's all time New Zealand XI

AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'm a bit young to remember the 1992 world cup (1996 world cup is the first one I remember following closely), but from my reading it seems that has Crowe not injured his hamstring in the semi final, NZ would have easily won that world cup.

Was way ahead of his time. The analytics he did into determining his opponents weaknesses probably didn't show up in cricket consistently until Buchanan took over here in 1999. And even then it wasn't approved of until Oz were winning everything in future years.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a bit young to remember the 1992 world cup (1996 world cup is the first one I remember following closely), but from my reading it seems that has Crowe not injured his hamstring in the semi final, NZ would have easily won that world cup.

Was way ahead of his time. The analytics he did into determining his opponents weaknesses probably didn't show up in cricket consistently until Buchanan took over here in 1999. And even then it wasn't approved of until Oz were winning everything in future years.

You go back even further and Glenn Turner was ahead of even Crowe (had his issues with authorities though) , remember watching him bat the angles in LOI cricket and would often get 2's from hitting it just outside the fielding circle.

I can go back to the days of Edgar & Wright , Howarth , Cairns senior and Hadlee etc

Then Crowe

Astle , Fleming , McMillan

McCullum , Vettori

Think if Bond had stayed fit he could have been the greatest fast bowler in history.

Amazing what they have achieved on the cricket field given the resources available to them.

AFL Club
Brisbane
Haven't seen that before , geez as great as Williamson has been I still rate Crowe higher.

I know you might have posted it before , but would love to see your dad's all time New Zealand XI
Dad's (82) best NZ XI

1. B. Sutcliffe
2. C.S. Dempster
3. K. Williamson
4. J.R. Reid
5. M.D. Crowe
6. M.P. Donnelly
7. B.J. Watling
8. B.R. Taylor
9. R.J. Hadlee
10. D. Vettori
11. J. Cowie

12. RC Motz

I think it's hard to rank unless we've seen players play.
RC Motz is only 12th Man due to having no main keeper.

Last edited: