Competitions 2023 Cricket World Cup Fantasy Sweep

AFL Club
North Melb.
I am considering running a competition based on the cricket World Cup and am wishing to determine if there would be sufficient interest to do so.

The basic concept would be that each participant is randomly drawn a batting position (1-6) and a bowling position (1-5) from each team from each game. The players that occupy those spots will then earn points based on their performances in the game. Points awarded will be similar to Big Bash SC wth maybe a few differences. I will issue full rules in due course.

The key feature is that it will not require participants to spend countless hours agonising over there selections. You just need to enter, pay and see how you go. Hopefully it will be a bit of fun and give us all a reason to follow the World Cup a little more closely.

There would be a nominal entry fee (probably $10) and 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes at least. I may get a little more creative on comp structures and prizes if numbers permit.

If you are interested then please post in this thread, note however that time is of the essence given the first game is on Thursday night.

1. Beg2Differ
2. Tails
3. Beijing_Sting
4. IDIG
5. Diabolical
6. Rowsus
7. THCLT - (entered by Rowsus. I know he'll be in.)
8. doc ron
9. Darkie
10. KLo30
11. Foxy’s Fe-Lions
12. lappinitup
13. ChandaPanda (Foxy’s Fe-Lions)
14. Bomberboy
15. Brettthejet
16. lavenderbandit
17. Goodies Guns
18. Bomber18
19. Impromptu
20. jaca

Final Rules

Players
  • Each participant will be drawn one bowler and one batsman from each team (total of 4 in each game) and they will get points based on the performances (for all of batting, bowling and fielding).
  • Given that I can't be sure who will play in any game (or indeed who the bowlers and batsmen are) the draw will be for a batting position and bowling position rather than a specific player. The player you will get will depend on who actually bats/bowls in the position your have drawn in that game.
  • For example in the Eng v SA game if you draw Eng Bat1 and Eng Bowl3 you will get the English batsman who faces the first ball and the English bowler who comes on first change.
  • No 2 participants will have the same combination on players in the same game.
  • Each batting and bowling position will be owned by the same number of participants +/- 1 given the number of participants will not likely be exactly divisible by 5 (for bowlers) and 6 (for batsman).
  • Player draws will be conducted for blocks of 5 games (of which there are 9); semi finals (2) and grand final (1).
Points Scoring
  • All players, regardless of whether they occupy a batting or bowling position, will score points for their performance with the bat, with the ball and in the field.
  • Points earned in abandoned and rain affected games will count as normal.
  • All points will be awarded based on statistics recorded on cricket.com.au.
Batting Points
  • 1 point for each run
  • 1 point for each run scored in excess of balls faced 1 point (ie 50 runs off 30 balls would score an extra 20 points)
  • 10 points for a half century
  • 20 points for a century (To avoid doubt this means just 20 and not 10 for the half century and another 20 for the century
Bowling Points
  • 25 points for each wicket
  • 1 point for each ball bowled in excess of runs conceded
  • ie 40 runs of 10 overs would score an extra 20 points
  • 10 points for 3 wickets in an innings
  • 20 points for 5 wickets in an innings (To avoid doubt this means just 20 and not 10 for the 3fa and another 20 for the 5fa)
Fielding Points
  • each catch 15 points
  • each stumping 15 points
  • each run out 15 points (player nominated on scorecard)
Other Rules
  • Entry fee $10
  • Prize for 1st, 2nd and 3rd at least and possibly more based on final numbers. I will advise in due course.
  • Any scenario not contemplated in the rules will be dealt with by the competition administrator.

Prizes
  • $200 for first
  • $130 for second
  • $90 for third

• $20 for highest scorer of each round where;
  • Each block of 5 games in the preliminary phase will be defined as a round. There are 9 of these.
  • The final round will be just 3 games and comprise the 2 semis and the final.
Payment Details
  • $10 entry
  • BSB 733128
  • Account Number 545278
  • Please identify yourself in the description
  • PM me if further details required

• 1559295225705.png

Last edited by a moderator:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Moving this to the main board as the comp starts in 2 days. I'll have to give it a miss unfortunately as i'm severely lacking in time and sleep these days but i'm sure others may be keen.

Also, I would highly recommend any comp that is run by Mark aka Beg2Differ. See the comments below from a couple of names you may recognise re: the Soccer World Cup comp he ran.

I don't think i've been part of a better administered comp.
I know it has been mentioned on numerous occasions and without wanting to sound like a broken record, many thanks to Mark for his arduous efforts over the past 4 1/2 weeks in keeping us all regularly updated after EVERY single match day. It was a fantastically run and administered competition. I'm sure that I speak on behalf of all participants that we all would love another invitation in 4 years' time. There's only one direction for that 130 number...and that's UP!

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll have to give it a miss unfortunately as i'm severely lacking in time and sleep these days but i'm sure others may be keen.
I didn't read the intro properly but now realise it's done at random and i don't have to do anything but pay so count me in!

AFL Club
North Melb.
The main reason I'd be in ... too busy concentrating on footy at the moment so would have passed if I had to my own research :)
This as one of my key design criteria. Even if people did have the time, the time difference and the team selection issues would have made anything else impracticable. I also considered a tipping comp (ala Soccer World Cup) however the margins in cricket make that difficult.

AFL Club
Brisbane
1. Beg2Differ
2. Tails
3. Beijing_Sting
4. IDIG
5. Diabolical
6. Rowsus
7. THCLT - (entered by Rowsus. I know he'll be in.)
8. doc ron
9. Darkie
10. KLo30
11. Foxy’s Fe-Lions
12. lappinitup

You bloody beauty! I'm coming third!

AFL Club
North Melb.
Just checking in to see the interest and looks like we have about 15. This is probably enough to go but I was hopeful of getting up to about 30 or so. I am tied up for the next few hours but will check in again later tonight (in about 5 hours from now) to see if there are any more. I will also try and provide some further details around scoring etc. tonight.

I plan to do the player draw just prior to the first game start tomorrow night so people know who they have and can barrack hard tomorrow night.

Not exactly sure when I will cut it off however certainly no earlier than say 7pm tomorrow night. Given the nature of the comp it is not impossible that I could leave entry open for a few days after the actual event has started but I will mull that over when I see how we are tracking for numbers tomorrow.

I know I have left it a bit late so please allow me a few days to get all the details sorted and communicated. I hope to have it all running smoothly over the weekend.