Position Defender Discussion

Which players caught your eye after Marsh 1...?

• D Houston

• D Byrne-Jones

• J Dawson

• J Crisp

• H Clark

• L Weller

• C Blakely

• W Milera

• J Short

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
AFL Club
North Melb.
He has a nice role with a little more mid time, is scoring well, relatively cheap to a Lloyd type and a massive POD. What’s not to like?

Here’s another left field gamble, Lukosius. D/F swing with Brander, under $400k. No2 draft pick in his second season and has gotten better with each game. Elite user of the footy and now starting to post tons with 2 in his last 3 games. If, like me, you are struggling for a D6 then this guy might get you a 90 ave at a discount price. Riskier than Mills, but waaaay cheaper, and you can swing him fwd later.
I like Mills. Trading in a guy for 470k who scores a 173, how can you not? :cool:
However if he gets to 600k+ (two good scores might do it) I could very well cash him out again :ROFLMAO:.

Lukosious caught my eye, but 2 100s and 4 sub 80s is a bit yuk. Averaging 80 and priced just below, think he's not there yet and will leak 20ppg to a "proper" D6 by seasons end.

AFL Club
Brisbane
He has a nice role with a little more mid time, is scoring well, relatively cheap to a Lloyd type and a massive POD. What’s not to like?

Here’s another left field gamble, Lukosius. D/F swing with Brander, under $400k. No2 draft pick in his second season and has gotten better with each game. Elite user of the footy and now starting to post tons with 2 in his last 3 games. If, like me, you are struggling for a D6 then this guy might get you a 90 ave at a discount price. Riskier than Mills, but waaaay cheaper, and you can swing him fwd later.
I started with him and I'm not sure where he'll end up, I might still cash out when he stops making money. Could be good enough for d/f 6 in a pinch or more likely bench cover, but I've already got Dev Smith looking likely to end up in the not quite good enough category.

This week against a Swans team with no talls should hopefully tell us something about his ceiling. After that I'm a bit worried about the usual drop off GC have whenever they've been talked up as having their best start ever or something like that.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jeez hes tempting me for a smidge more than Ridley. That big run of games in WA might just be too much for me to ignore I think. You started with him if memory serves, how have you interpreted his season so far?
Did you end up grabbing L Ryan?

AFL Club
Fremantle
Did you end up grabbing L Ryan?
Nah ended up with Ridley, not disappointed in the decision but Ryan is looking bloody good.
Ryan's an interesting one, I assumed with our raft of injured talls he would have to play a more accountable role, but our new game style seems to really compliment him. Between he and Sicily for the next premium defender to come into my team

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryan's an interesting one, I assumed with our raft of injured talls he would have to play a more accountable role, but our new game style seems to really compliment him. Between he and Sicily for the next premium defender to come into my team
Unsure on this season but wouldn't be surprised if he is again around the top 3 for kick ins. Since his debut he hasn't been heavily dependent on amassing a large amount of the ball which is very enticing for SC purposes.

2020- L Ryan:
Has scored 100+ in every match in which he has registered either 5+ marks or 13+ disposals.
1595231585795.png

Career Disposals Avg: 18.04 from 56
SC avg when disposals equal/exceed 19: 111.32 from 25 (1/25 below 80, 9/25 below 100, 10/25 120+)
SC avg when disposals below 19: 72.65 from 31 (19/31 below 80, 27/31 below 100)

SC avg when disposals equal/exceed 15: 101.90 from 39 (6/39 below 80, 20/39 below 100, 10/39 120+)
SC avg when disposals below 15: 62.41 from 17 (14/17 below 80, 16/17 below 100)

Recommend both he and Stewart over Hurn for those without any of them.

AFL Club
Essendon
What's with Hurn this year? Playing a different role? Age catching up?

I want to bring him in. West Coast are gonna play a lot of games in Perth this year which should suit him. But his scoring has been unusually bad.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
What's with Hurn this year? Playing a different role? Age catching up?

I want to bring him in. West Coast are gonna play a lot of games in Perth this year which should suit him. But his scoring has been unusually bad.
A few things... Adam Simpson said a few of the older guys struggled away in the hub so he may be one of them. He's also turning 33 in a few weeks time so age could also be a factor and the natural drop off at that stage of a players career.

Liam Duggan and Brad Sheppard have also both taken steps forward this year too. Sheppard in my opinion is having an All-Australian year, So with them plus Gov & Barrass... that's a lot of mouths to feed down back.

Think we really have to look at that round 1 game as an outlier.

AFL Club
North Melb.
A few things... Adam Simpson said a few of the older guys struggled away in the hub so he may be one of them. He's also turning 33 in a few weeks time so age could also be a factor and the natural drop off at that stage of a players career.

Liam Duggan and Brad Sheppard have also both taken steps forward this year too. Sheppard in my opinion is having an All-Australian year, So with them plus Gov & Barrass... that's a lot of mouths to feed down back.

Think we really have to look at that round 1 game as an outlier.
Think you may almost have to look at all of 2019 as an outlier ;).

Shannon Hurn, season averages since 2009:
93, 84, 82, 91, 87, 86, 75, 82, 88, 96, 103, 83

Solidly consistent, just below premium for 10 years running then spikes up to 103. Now he's running at 83 and it looks... not out of place exactly?