Position Defender Discussion

Which players caught your eye after Marsh 1...?

• D Houston

• D Byrne-Jones

• J Dawson

• J Crisp

• H Clark

• L Weller

• C Blakely

• W Milera

• J Short

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
AFL Club
Collingwood
After 8 Rounds , Top 10 by average

Howe 120.5
Lloyd 115.9
Sicily 112.1
Haynes 110.9
Ridley 109.6
Mills 106.2
Daniel 105.9
Maynard 103.9
Saad 102.7
Docherty 101.2

* only Lloyd , Sicily & Daniel cost over $ 500k at the start.

From memory this is the line that has most fluctuations in the Top 10 season to season

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
So this Laird in the middle thing. He scored 60 in the second half against the scaling of a big win!
Does anyone think it could be a thing or is he just filling space until someone else comes back in?
Inclined to agree with @Bomber18, but I don’t think there’s a huge rush to bring him in - ie I would wait for evidence either way. Stewart is the obvious def trade next round and Laird has three 90s in a row so his price should be pretty stable.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Inclined to agree with @Bomber18, but I don’t think there’s a huge rush to bring him in - ie is wait for evidence either way. Stewart is the obvious def trade next round and Laird has three 90s in a row so his price should be pretty stable.
I’m just hoping Laird can nab a spike score and then perhaps can be one to slingshot for some cash around his bye!

AFL Club
Essendon
For anyone who hasn't completed their defence yet and want an ultra-value POD, look at Connor Blakely. 411k. Back in the team and straight into the centre. Only played 61% TOG but had the 3rd most CBAs for Freo and got 23 touches. I can easily picture an 85 - 95 average.

AFL Club
West Coast
For anyone who hasn't completed their defence yet and want an ultra-value POD, look at Connor Blakely. 411k. Back in the team and straight into the centre. Only played 61% TOG but had the 3rd most CBAs for Freo and got 23 touches. I can easily picture an 85 - 95 average.
Good call, here is an article today that makes him even more enticing:-

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/f...pot-says-coach-justin-longmuir-ng-b881627367z

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir has declared midfielder Connor Blakely has secured his position in the team and proven a point after helping the Dockers to a 12-point win over Collingwood at Optus Stadium.

Fremantle overcame a scoreless first quarter to win 10.1 (61) to 7.7 (49) and Blakely collected 23 disposals and three clearances in his first game for the season.

Having been overlooked for other players all year and been the subject of much conjecture about why he hasn’t been chosen, Blakely seized the chance to play in the midfield.

The crowd showed their opinion of his selection by giving Blakely a rousing reception when he collected his first disposal of the match.

Longmuir said the tough onballer had shown he deserved to be in the team.

“Absolutely he is there for a bit,” Longmuir said.

“He’s had a point to prove for the last 10 weeks to be honest. I said to him during the week that he is a better footballer now than what he was eight weeks ago, without having playing AFL football and that’s because of his attitude.

“His attitude to training with real purpose, his commitment to the contest, his commitment to his teammates and that prepared him for his opportunity. Tonight, he took it.

“Clearly he’s got some work to do in certain areas of his game but I loved his attitude. I loved his commitment towards his roles.”

AFL Club
Fremantle
Good call, here is an article today that makes him even more enticing:-

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/f...pot-says-coach-justin-longmuir-ng-b881627367z

Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir has declared midfielder Connor Blakely has secured his position in the team and proven a point after helping the Dockers to a 12-point win over Collingwood at Optus Stadium.

Fremantle overcame a scoreless first quarter to win 10.1 (61) to 7.7 (49) and Blakely collected 23 disposals and three clearances in his first game for the season.

Having been overlooked for other players all year and been the subject of much conjecture about why he hasn’t been chosen, Blakely seized the chance to play in the midfield.

The crowd showed their opinion of his selection by giving Blakely a rousing reception when he collected his first disposal of the match.

Longmuir said the tough onballer had shown he deserved to be in the team.

“Absolutely he is there for a bit,” Longmuir said.

“He’s had a point to prove for the last 10 weeks to be honest. I said to him during the week that he is a better footballer now than what he was eight weeks ago, without having playing AFL football and that’s because of his attitude.

“His attitude to training with real purpose, his commitment to the contest, his commitment to his teammates and that prepared him for his opportunity. Tonight, he took it.

“Clearly he’s got some work to do in certain areas of his game but I loved his attitude. I loved his commitment towards his roles.”
I'll grab him after his price drop! :)
I like what I'm seeing and hearing from Longmuir. He and Bell seem like a solid pair. If we can get some players that aren't made of paper mache we might be alright.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting

Williams last season

With Whitfield 94.5 from 14 games
Without Whitfield 118.16 from 6 games

small sample size admittedly

when Ward returns , I guess the dynamics change again but suspect Jelly & Whit play wing , while AK , Don't Pay , Heater & Zac Attack rotate the HB/BP role
@Connoisseur

and this one

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
@Goodie's Guns any opinions on who gets the friendly 3rd tall role at the hawks following the Sicily injury? Just more points for Will Day?
A bit unsure at this stage. Will be interesting to see what we do, as I think the more pressing issue will be the forward line.

McEvoy could slot into a role back in defence, with Ceglar to come in and ruck, that would be one option.

I think Lewis and Patton both played alright in the scratch match at the weekend, and hope/assume we will look to get more games into both them throughout these last few weeks. Tim O'Brien could be swung back to accomodate the return of both of them. I've actually be relatively impressed with TOB recently.

I wouldn't mind seeing Frawley dropped, and Hartley given a go in defence either, who from all reports has been fantastic around the club/group since arriving, and played well in all scratch match/intra clubs, etc.

In terms of who benefits, I think Scrimshaw, who has been mighty impressive since returning from his ankle (and tbf the entire year) will continue to develop across half back as an interceptor and user out of defence. Day will continue to swing across there and up on a wing, similar to Scrimshaw, happy to put his light frame on the line in front of oncoming traffic to intercept. The other would be Blake Hardwick.

So yeah, I think a combination of Scrimshaw, Day and Hardwick benefit SC wise, probably not by much, but by a little bit, and we fill a defensive post with a role player, getting Sicily's drive out of the defensive 50 through one of the blokes who is already there.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
@Goodie's Guns any opinions on who gets the friendly 3rd tall role at the hawks following the Sicily injury? Just more points for Will Day?
A bit unsure at this stage. Will be interesting to see what we do, as I think the more pressing issue will be the forward line.

McEvoy could slot into a role back in defence, with Ceglar to come in and ruck, that would be one option.

I think Lewis and Patton both played alright in the scratch match at the weekend, and hope/assume we will look to get more games into both them throughout these last few weeks. Tim O'Brien could be swung back to accomodate the return of both of them. I've actually be relatively impressed with TOB recently.

I wouldn't mind seeing Frawley dropped, and Hartley given a go in defence either, who from all reports has been fantastic around the club/group since arriving, and played well in all scratch match/intra clubs, etc.

In terms of who benefits, I think Scrimshaw, who has been mighty impressive since returning from his ankle (and tbf the entire year) will continue to develop across half back as an interceptor and user out of defence. Day will continue to swing across there and up on a wing, similar to Scrimshaw, happy to put his light frame on the line in front of oncoming traffic to intercept. The other would be Blake Hardwick.

So yeah, I think a combination of Scrimshaw, Day and Hardwick benefit SC wise, probably not by much, but by a little bit, and we fill a defensive post with a role player, getting Sicily's drive out of the defensive 50 through one of the blokes who is already there.
I think for the remainder of the season they will be looking to develop an intercept defender for next year: Scrimshaw. And as you say Hartley in for Frawley would be good as well, we've got a replacement Melbourne defender :), who also might see an uptick in scoring, but not to the point of relevance I think. I do wonder if Howe gets game, see if he has matured as a player.