Position Defenders Discussion

Which defenders will you be starting? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Lloyd $608

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • Laird $588

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Sicily $570

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Simpson $570

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Whitfield $542

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Witherden $455

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Williams $408

Votes: 110 76.4%
  • Newman $394

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Smith $333

Votes: 68 47.2%
  • Roberton $298 or Hanley $296

Votes: 36 25.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Adelaide
He truly was a joy to watch last year so I can’t imsgine how much more enjoyable it would be with him intercepting and rebounding his way to sc ton after sc ton!
I think we talked about this last season Idig, he's a gun, very Laird-eske, I’ll be keeping a close eye on him that’s for sure!

AFL Club
Adelaide
First thoughts..... wow there is many an evil temptress in the backline! Defence could be the make or break line of the season I think.

I like the look of the break out players too with many young stars that could go to the next level like Sicily did this year. Pre season watch list is long and I will be watching this thread closely!

Crows thoughts....OMG Wayne Milera I cannot be objective. With the exception of maybe Eddie I have not enjoyed watching anyone so much since d jarman and McLeod. If he goes another level and looks like running through the kids look out. B Smith I just don't see it being worth the risk even though he is cheap. Laird is in my first draft but value may win out as he is expensive for a starting def that is not a mid

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is this the year that Callum Mills plays as a full time mid? I'm going to get this pick right one year. No Dan Hanneberry. Allir Allir back in vogue. It's like a moth to the flame.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
He truly was a joy to watch last year so I can’t imsgine how much more enjoyable it would be with him intercepting and rebounding his way to sc ton after sc ton!
That is if you can get him to play more than a couple of games per year.

AFL Club
Collingwood
The Advertiser’s Reece Homfray spent some time with the club during their pre-season camp in Noosa and discussed on SEN SA Breakfast how Burton could be deployed in season 2019...……….“He’s fit and strong and left all those leg injuries behind,” said Homfray of Burton.
“Kenny (Hinkley) says he’ll definitely start across half-back. He can go forward if he needs to but he finished fifth in a Best and Fairest at Hawthorn across half-back.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/17/how-port-adelaide-plan-to-deploy-ryan-burton/

HotShame

Rising Star Nominee
Sicily did only play 14 games tho. So on ave, he would have finished with 114 kick ins. Not 100% sure how the new rule change will benefit him, but if he can get an extra couple of bounces a game out of the goal square, should equal more pts.

I like Roberton at that price pending preseason form and the all clear health wise.
Assuming he would slot straight back into that rebounding defender role.

Didn't Jeremy Webster take over that role after Robbo went down last season in round4? If so does anyone know why
Webster's form dropped right off later in the year?
he is at a really good price but it depends on what role he plays. if webster is the QB then there is not much point picking robbo. webster sustained injuries to the groin/knee as far as i can remember.

AFL Club
West Coast
I have not seen Tom Stewart named in any(?) of the teams on the Rate My Team thread. He had a good debut season then backed it up with further improvement this year. Ave 85 but it is higher if you ignore the 18 he scored rd 19 when he copped an ankle inj. He missed the next game then had a modest game against Hawthorn before having absolutely nothing to do in the back line in the game when Geelong surgically removed Fremantle's testicles and handed them to Ross Lyon in a jar to keep on his mantlepiece. He will be coming into his third year and the Cats backline is modest so he is going to play a key role. A 135 earlier this year showed he can go big and I thinking he could get into the mid/high 90's quite easily. Are there just too many other options for him to get noticed? I'm thinking of going with him and he could be a POD

AFL Club
Fremantle
Mitch Cleary reporting

Breaking - Hawthorn's Grant Birchall has suffered a setback in his recovery from latest knee injury. Major concern after only five games in two years.

More on @AFLcomau shortly.
Yet many of us will still push forward with all of our bargain pieces of fine china. :rolleyes:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet many of us will still push forward with all of our bargain pieces of fine china. :rolleyes:
Personally I put the ones I like in a short placeholders/memory joggers, but fair to say that I expect to remove more than I add!

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Mitch Cleary reporting

Breaking - Hawthorn's Grant Birchall has suffered a setback in his recovery from latest knee injury. Major concern after only five games in two years.

More on @AFLcomau shortly.
While Birchall's injury is unfortunate (wish him a speedy recovery etc), it does remove a lock and a rookie-ish priced locked more importantly so it's going to make it harder for us to put a GnR team together, which is not a bad thing if you ask me. More value and/or mid pricers we're forced to pick the better.