Position Defenders Discussion

Which defenders will you be starting? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Lloyd $608

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • Laird $588

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Sicily $570

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Simpson $570

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Whitfield $542

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Witherden $455

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Williams $408

Votes: 110 76.4%
  • Newman $394

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Smith $333

Votes: 68 47.2%
  • Roberton $298 or Hanley $296

Votes: 36 25.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wouldn’t be surprised if Collins goes at 75! Williamson is still in the rehab group so is unlikely to be there come round one.

I’m unsure on Rozee at this stage. It seems he’ll play more mid/fwd rather than def. Could be decent depending on the amount of mid time. First year fwd rookies usually aren’t as good is my general impression over the years.
I keep looking at this one .. a lot of coin to splash out .... undecided at the moment .... good wraps and Wines, Polec, Wingard, Dixon out should have a reasonable chance of good JS ... scoring ability is the big ??

AFL Club
Collingwood
Wouldn’t be surprised if Collins goes at 75! Williamson is still in the rehab group so is unlikely to be there come round one.

I’m unsure on Rozee at this stage. It seems he’ll play more mid/fwd rather than def. Could be decent depending on the amount of mid time. First year fwd rookies usually aren’t as good is my general impression over the years.
Just starting to read through all the threads in the last few days.

Currently have Rozee & Collins at D5 & D6 and very happy with the rest of my team and structure.

More than happy if Collins played most games and went 75+

We got very applied with Doedee , Finlayson & Murray last season.

Hoping to only field 2 forward rookie so ATM have Cavarra , Parker & Corbett like everyone else.

Trying not to get tied up with any rookie at this stage until Round 1.

Honestly can't see how Carlton are going to fit in Walsh , Setterfield , Stocker , Cottrell & Gibbons in there 22 every week either

AFL Club
Collingwood
I keep looking at this one .. a lot of coin to splash out .... undecided at the moment .... good wraps and Wines, Polec, Wingard, Dixon out should have a reasonable chance of good JS ... scoring ability is the big ??
remember they added Burton & Mayes though , and Broadbent & Hartlett missed a lot of football last year as well.

Atley in the mix for a start and Butters & Duursma as well.

At this stage who knows which rookies are viable in any lines.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
remember they added Burton & Mayes though , and Broadbent & Hartlett missed a lot of football last year as well.

Atley in the mix for a start and Butters & Duursma as well.

At this stage who knows which rookies are viable in any lines.
Good points ... although I don't see a role for him down back .. his price tag is very expensive for a foward rookie. If he didn't have DPP status he would already be crossed off my shortlist.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
very interesting , want to be confident Williamson , Collins and Rozee would be Ave 70-75+ to make enough $$$
although sometimes you need to consider JS more as well
There is also an interactive sheet in the SCS Planner of the past couple of years (link in my signature) which will allow you to input any starting price and different weekly scores. Most will be surprised at the changes in price. Well worth exploring, bearing in mind that they are approximate changes.

AFL Club
Collingwood
There is also an interactive sheet in the SCS Planner of the past couple of years (link in my signature) which will allow you to input any starting price and different weekly scores. Most will be surprised at the changes in price. Well worth exploring, bearing in mind that they are approximate changes.
Thanks for that , I remember reading that previous article you wrote years ago , how time flies.

Will have a play around for sure.

Cheers

AFL Club
Collingwood
Good points ... although I don't see a role for him down back .. his price tag is very expensive for a foward rookie. If he didn't have DPP status he would already be crossed off my shortlist.
true

just pointing out there are still a few missing pieces in the jigsaw to come in even with Dixon & Wines missing.

nothing worse than picking a rookie who plays 1-2 games and us then dropped.

Port will have all sorts of trouble starting 6-6-6 as they already have about 10 HBF.

AFL Club
North Melb.
AFL Club
North Melb.
Wow what a resource! I have created my own spreadsheet for trade planning and tackling the byes but this planner puts mine to shame. Thank you for sharing! Im also reading the thread and it is definitely making me question if I am starting too many mid-pricers purely from a cash generation perspective.
I currently have Hartlett and Roberton in defence and Miles in the mids. I dont really classify Wingard and Williams as midpricers but I have them also!!

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Wow what a resource! I have created my own spreadsheet for trade planning and tackling the byes but this planner puts mine to shame. Thank you for sharing! Im also reading the thread and it is definitely making me question if I am starting too many mid-pricers purely from a cash generation perspective.
I currently have Hartlett and Roberton in defence and Miles in the mids. I dont really classify Wingard and Williams as midpricers but I have them also!!
Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to update it for 2019. I'll see how I go in the next couple of weeks.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02/11/all-quiet-too-quiet-on-the-magpie-front/
(PS, a good read for Pies supporters. I'm loving the sounds of silence!)

Darcy Moore, was a standout on Friday, using his height, pace and athleticism to intercept the play and also to be the first line of attack. It was interesting that during the first quarter of the scrimmage, play would resume from the defensive goal square after every goal rather than the centre square and Moore was hard to contain, using the extended protection zone to take off and move the ball quickly towards the centre of the ground.

Also notable on Friday was Jordan Roughead, the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership big man who moved to Collingwood …….. It might be the steal of the trade period. He might also be a smoky for leadership group, which is yet to be finalised.
The 28-year-old adds much needed size to the Magpie back half ……...with the likelihood that ‘6-6-6’ will require clubs to play two genuine ruckmen - or as close as to that as possible – having Roughead there as the second ruckman to Brodie Grundy then allows Mason Cox to play as a stay-at-home-forward.

Ben Reid also moved well and will be pressing for a game early on playing out of the forward line. Draftee Isaac Quaynor impressed off half-back and certainly isn’t built like a first year player.

……......Jack Crisp is a likely non-starter for round one because of hip and back concerns.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02/11/all-quiet-too-quiet-on-the-magpie-front/
(PS, a good read for Pies supporters. I'm loving the sounds of silence!)

Darcy Moore, was a standout on Friday, using his height, pace and athleticism to intercept the play and also to be the first line of attack. It was interesting that during the first quarter of the scrimmage, play would resume from the defensive goal square after every goal rather than the centre square and Moore was hard to contain, using the extended protection zone to take off and move the ball quickly towards the centre of the ground.

Also notable on Friday was Jordan Roughead, the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership big man who moved to Collingwood …….. It might be the steal of the trade period. He might also be a smoky for leadership group, which is yet to be finalised.
The 28-year-old adds much needed size to the Magpie back half ……...with the likelihood that ‘6-6-6’ will require clubs to play two genuine ruckmen - or as close as to that as possible – having Roughead there as the second ruckman to Brodie Grundy then allows Mason Cox to play as a stay-at-home-forward.

Ben Reid also moved well and will be pressing for a game early on playing out of the forward line. Draftee Isaac Quaynor impressed off half-back and certainly isn’t built like a first year player.

……......Jack Crisp is a likely non-starter for round one because of hip and back concerns.
Does anyone understand why all teams suddenly need to play 2 genuine rucks?

Last year Grundy did all the rucking through the midfield & defence and Cox did it up forward (plus occasionally pinch hitting if Grundy was off). What about the new rules means this would suddenly have to change?

AFL Club
Collingwood

Last year Grundy did all the rucking through the midfield & defence and Cox did it up forward (plus occasionally pinch hitting if Grundy was off). What about the new rules means this would suddenly have to change?
Nope this one has completely got me totally baffled as well.

The majority of people are thinking the game is going to get faster and open up with less stoppages and clearances so I thought teams would be just finding 1-2 athletic D/F types to assist the main ruck.

Unless they are going to start a second ruck in the goal square.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Nope this one has completely got me totally baffled as well.

The majority of people are thinking the game is going to get faster and open up with less stoppages and clearances so I thought teams would be just finding 1-2 athletic D/F types to assist the main ruck.

Unless they are going to start a second ruck in the goal square.
I mean I understand that players like Grigg shouldn't be rucking anymore with the new rules but surely any team with a decent sized forward that can make a contest isn't going to suddenly play another second-rate ruck??

AFL Club
Collingwood

I found this below it explains some. I'll see if I can find other info.

https://supercoachscores.com/threads/new-rules-for-2019-how-will-they-affect-the-game.3946/page-3 #54
Ruck Contests:
• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
• Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
Importance?
Gives ruckmen more ability to control the state and speed of the game. It will be much easier to kill time with a dominant ruckman. Secondary rucks will also be more important, as dominating a weak second ruck will have larger consequences. It also increases the risk of playing only one ruckman as a mid-game injury could be devastating.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://supercoachscores.com/threads/new-rules-for-2019-how-will-they-affect-the-game.3946/page-4 #75

Given the new six-six-six rule, North Melbourne star Shaun Higgins believes ruckmen are set to become some of the most important players in the competition in 2019.
Players like Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy – who were both named in the All-Australian team – will become even more valuable to their clubs, as teams can no longer put men behind the ball to counter-attack clearances.

The new rule states six men must be in each side’s back line and forward line at each centre bounce, while the remaining six are between the arcs (four in the square, two outside).

Higgins believes having a quality ruckman will help at centre bounces, as opponents can no longer set up extra men off the back of the square.
“There wasn’t anything stopping teams last year from having two or three off the back of the square. That happened at times. We probably didn’t highlight it as much. Maybe the AFL were across it because of this rule change,” Higgins told SEN on Monday morning.
“You’d drop your winger back or (bring your) half-forward up, but you (now) need your forwards and your defenders inside-50. You’ve got two wingers outside the square, and then it’s just a battle of the midfielders.
“The quality of the ruckman as well is going to be really important because (when) guys like Maxy Gawn were getting on top in centre bounce, you’d protect the centre bounce off the back of the square or the side of the square.
“You’re not going to be able to do that anymore.”

First use in the ruck could give midfielders free space heading inside forward 50 according to Higgins, which would force defenders to make split-second decisions about when to leave their man.
“Once you break that first line of the midfielders, unless you’re going to press off even numbers, you haven’t got that extra coming off the back of the square,” Higgins said.
“There’s no protection at all.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://supercoachscores.com/threads/new-rules-for-2019-how-will-they-affect-the-game.3946/page-4 #75

Given the new six-six-six rule, North Melbourne star Shaun Higgins believes ruckmen are set to become some of the most important players in the competition in 2019.
Players like Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy – who were both named in the All-Australian team – will become even more valuable to their clubs, as teams can no longer put men behind the ball to counter-attack clearances.

The new rule states six men must be in each side’s back line and forward line at each centre bounce, while the remaining six are between the arcs (four in the square, two outside).

Higgins believes having a quality ruckman will help at centre bounces, as opponents can no longer set up extra men off the back of the square.
“There wasn’t anything stopping teams last year from having two or three off the back of the square. That happened at times. We probably didn’t highlight it as much. Maybe the AFL were across it because of this rule change,” Higgins told SEN on Monday morning.
“You’d drop your winger back or (bring your) half-forward up, but you (now) need your forwards and your defenders inside-50. You’ve got two wingers outside the square, and then it’s just a battle of the midfielders.
“The quality of the ruckman as well is going to be really important because (when) guys like Maxy Gawn were getting on top in centre bounce, you’d protect the centre bounce off the back of the square or the side of the square.
“You’re not going to be able to do that anymore.”

First use in the ruck could give midfielders free space heading inside forward 50 according to Higgins, which would force defenders to make split-second decisions about when to leave their man.
“Once you break that first line of the midfielders, unless you’re going to press off even numbers, you haven’t got that extra coming off the back of the square,” Higgins said.
“There’s no protection at all.
now all we need now is for the AFL to tell the umpires to bounce it correct to actually give the 2 Rucks a equal contest ?

I've seen a lot of people picking Harris Andrews, this is was in today's H/Sun

"
HARRIS ANDREWS ($480,100, Def)
Champion Data predicts Harris Andrews is the next great defender but Chris Fagan is been trialling his star backman in attack this pre-season. With the arrival of Marcus Adams in the off-season, the intercept-marking star has been partnering Eric Hipwood as a deep forward with Fagan keen to use his marking ability in front of goals. “They (genuine contested marking key forwards) are harder to find in AFL footy,” Fagan said. “It is still experimental at the moment but he has looked really good.”

I've seen a lot of people picking Harris Andrews, this is was in today's H/Sun

"
HARRIS ANDREWS ($480,100, Def)
Champion Data predicts Harris Andrews is the next great defender but Chris Fagan is been trialling his star backman in attack this pre-season. With the arrival of Marcus Adams in the off-season, the intercept-marking star has been partnering Eric Hipwood as a deep forward with Fagan keen to use his marking ability in front of goals. “They (genuine contested marking key forwards) are harder to find in AFL footy,” Fagan said. “It is still experimental at the moment but he has looked really good.”
Cheers Matt, he's in for me at the moment but not if he plays as a forward

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interestingly, Fagan has apparently called for Andrews to spoil less and mark more.

Any chance they are playing him forward to give him marking practice and get him into the habit?

Just a thought. I cut him from my side in part because of the above news.