Position Defenders Discussion

Which defenders will you be starting? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Lloyd $608

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • Laird $588

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Sicily $570

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Simpson $570

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Whitfield $542

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Witherden $455

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Williams $408

Votes: 110 76.4%
  • Newman $394

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Smith $333

Votes: 68 47.2%
  • Roberton $298 or Hanley $296

Votes: 36 25.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Geelong
He had post season hip surgery and was managing a back issue so he didn't start his preseason with the main group. It was said throughout that he should be fine from round 1 but I was just cautious of anyone with an interrupted preseason.
Ok, found an article saying that on the 30th of Jan he still hadn't done a full training session yet. Since the Pies played in the Granny, ''post season'' is a month later for them, i'll make him ma possible upgrade. Thanks for the info.

AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone considering Rance?

Led Richmond's JLT according to the stats published by KLO30, was in my side for a while but became Witherden.

AFL Club
Adelaide
He won't be taking kick ins at all (Smith) & won't be playing middle or wing.

I think he'll just find the ball 25 plus times a game.

Convincing enough analysis for you? :p
I looooooooooooooooove Milera................. he is special and if you haven't seen the David Attenborough Iguana/Snakes voiceover mash up someone did of him evading tacklers last year look it up it is awesome! I haven't been so excited about a player in my (Crows) team for so long it is hard to keep a lid on it and even harder to not pick him in my team. He has smashed it this preseason and added aggression and strength to his game and showed he can take a contested mark as well as use his speed and agility. It would not surprised me if he killed it early and teams chuck a tag at him. In spite of all of this I still can't pick him as I don't want to jinx it!

AFL Club
St Kilda
What are people’s thoughts on Milera? I’ve got him in my side and I don’t know if I feel too good about it. I wonder if he will cop a bit of attention from the opposition and how he will handle a defensive tag I’m just not sure?

AFL Club
Adelaide
What are people’s thoughts on Milera? I’ve got him in my side and I don’t know if I feel too good about it. I wonder if he will cop a bit of attention from the opposition and how he will handle a defensive tag I’m just not sure?
He’s expensive for a spec pick

Could be a great pick but for me I’d rather see how he goes and upgrade him in if he’s looking 95+

Rather than commit to an awkward price up front when he’s still on the potential premium list

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be honest, I'm not sure if you are taking the p1$$, or just hadn't read the previous page and a half, before you posted that question! :unsure:

AFL Club
Collingwood
With the news of Roberton out what are peoples thoughts on Webster?
Webster scoring was very ordinary at the end of last year (when Roberton wasn't playing). I don't know what happened, as he scored 7 100+ times in the first half of the season. He can score high, so it would be interesting if somebody knows why his score dropped at the end of the year.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Webster scoring was very ordinary at the end of last year (when Roberton wasn't playing). I don't know what happened, as he scored 7 100+ times in the first half of the season. He can score high, so it would be interesting if somebody knows why his score dropped at the end of the year.
To be honest he had an absolute golden pass by CD in the middle patch of the season. He was having uncontested, non-intercept possessions scored crazy high.

Middle patch: 92dt/111.5sc
End of the year (take out 11 game): 76dt/75sc

-16dt/-36.5sc swing.

He wasn’t taking as many intercept marks and CD seemed to score him more fairly as well.

AFL Club
Collingwood
To be honest he had an absolute golden pass by CD in the middle patch of the season. He was having uncontested, non-intercept possessions scored crazy high.

Middle patch: 92dt/111.5sc
End of the year (take out 11 game): 76dt/75sc

-16dt/-36.5sc swing.

He wasn’t taking as many intercept marks and CD seemed to score him more fairly as well.
I'm not happy with Champion Data's influence on players scoring, I wish it was more fixed, less confusing.

AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not happy with Champion Data's influence on players scoring, I wish it was more fixed, less confusing.
There's three aspects to the game of SuperCoach that one should consider.

1. Player performance on field.
2. How CD interprets player performance on field.
3. Trading & general strategy before & during season.

Not many people consider number 2 though I feel.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
It’s not like CD employees spend the afternoon slinging points around a room to their favourite players ? - it does come down to human interpretation of hard ball gets, contested marks, hit out to advantage, clearance or whatever. Not sure there’s any machine learning built in just yet

I guess I’m interested in what you mean by “influence”

AFL Club
Adelaide
I looooooooooooooooove Milera................. he is special and if you haven't seen the David Attenborough Iguana/Snakes voiceover mash up someone did of him evading tacklers last year look it up it is awesome! I haven't been so excited about a player in my (Crows) team for so long it is hard to keep a lid on it and even harder to not pick him in my team. He has smashed it this preseason and added aggression and strength to his game and showed he can take a contested mark as well as use his speed and agility. It would not surprised me if he killed it early and teams chuck a tag at him. In spite of all of this I still can't pick him as I don't want to jinx it!
We got the pick that we got him with from the Dangerfield trade. I’m predicting a long and shiny happy future where get to remind them of that at every opportunity.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We got the pick that we got him with from the Dangerfield trade. I’m predicting a long and shiny happy future where get to remind them of that at every opportunity.
I was de o when you blokes plucked him out of our indigenous academy, was always going to be a very solid footballer. Reckon you would have won the flag in 2017 if Danger had stayed?

Think long term you guys will have won that trade, Dean Gore and all.

AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not like CD employees spend the afternoon slinging points around a room to their favourite players ? - it does come down to human interpretation of hard ball gets, contested marks, hit out to advantage, clearance or whatever. Not sure there’s any machine learning built in just yet

I guess I’m interested in what you mean by “influence”

Basically, I think Santoz summed it up well what I mean, he said "How CD interprets player performance on field."
I would rather more clearer rules from Champion Data and less interpretation, something between AFL Fantasy and SuperCoach scoring systems. I like that players are rewarded for influencing an advantage to their side. It just seems that CD keeps us guessing sometimes on what has transpired in a game or how a player has scored, or not scored, some SC points.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was de o when you blokes plucked him out of our indigenous academy, was always going to be a very solid footballer. Reckon you would have won the flag in 2017 if Danger had stayed?

Think long term you guys will have won that trade, Dean Gore and all.
Na, I think we were outplayed on the day by their small, quick mosquito forwards putting a lot of pressure on in their forward line when they didn’t have the ball. Not sure Danger would’ve been the fix for that but who knows?

Milera looked a bit skinny and underweight early, so I wasn’t too sure, but he always seemed to have that x-factor and flair with the ball. Good to be able to pick up such star local talent. We got Doedee the same draft, gotta be happy with their drafting and development recently.