Competitions F1 Fantasy

AFL Club
Adelaide
Has anyone played F1 fantasy before? Any thoughts or comments?

I'm going to give it a go this season, what could go wrong. :unsure::LOL:
Link is at : https://fantasy.formula1.com/

I've never played, so no idea what strategy to use but will see how the season pans out.
Also need to look at how Dynamic Pricing works.

I've created a league if anyone wants to join :
Name : Flat spot
Code : 012f1fa421

Unfortunately, the prizes exclude the Aust GP, so it's a purely fun driven event.

Below is a run down of the rules,

Teams
You can pick up to three F1 Fantasy teams to manage throughout the season, each having 5 drivers and 1 constructor from an initial $100m budget. There are no restrictions on how many drivers you can pick from any one Formula 1 team. Your teams will score points based on your selected team members' performance in Grands Prix during the 2021 season - all 5 drivers and 1 constructor score points each raceweek.

You can make as many changes to your team as you wish before the season starts. It is the last saved version of your team each week that gets entered into all the leagues you have joined.

Initially you have a budget of $100m to spend on your drivers and constructor. As your drivers and constructor increase or decrease in price throughout the season, these price changes get reflected in your total value, which is the sum of your team value and your remaining budget. If one of your drivers goes up in value, you can lock in that price increase by removing him from your team so you have more budget available to spend on other drivers. As such, your available budget and the available budgets of other players in F1 Fantasy may be greater than or less than $100m as the season progresses.

Joining Leagues
Leagues enable groups of people to enter their F1 Fantasy teams against each other and compete for top position in the league leaderboard. Leagues may last from two raceweeks up to the whole season. Your team 1 is automatically entered into the Global F1 League, as well as the league of your home country and the league of your favourite constructor - only your team 1 can be entered into these leagues. You can join as many public leagues as you want in the Leagues Lobby. You can also create and enter private leagues with your friends - these can be single-entry (one team per user), double-entry (up to two teams per user) or triple-entry (up to three teams per user) leagues. These leagues can be private or public and can be easily joined by friends through the unique code for each league.

Managing Your Teams
Before the season starts you can make as many changes to your teams as you wish. Once the season starts you get a Subs Bank as described below to manage your team each raceweek. You also get 2 Wildcards per season as described below.

Subs Bank
The Subs Bank allows you to make up to 6 substitutions to your team each raceweek before the team lock time. The first 3 substitutions each raceweek are free, with additional substitutions incurring a penalty of -10pts per substitution. Each time you save a team substitution your Subs Bank is reduced by one. You can only make as many substitutions to your team as your Subs Bank allows before the team lock time. Unused substitutions do not carry forward to the following raceweek. With prices changing continuously due to Dynamic Pricing, you can use your Subs Bank to grow your budget above $100m so as the season progresses, you can afford better drivers and constructors to score more points.

Turbo Driver
You must select one driver per team to be your Turbo Driver each raceweek - this player will score 2x points.

Your Turbo Driver can be a different driver each raceweek but must cost less than $20m and must be selected prior to saving your team. You can change your Turbo Driver each raceweek without penalty as Turbo Driver changes do not count as a substitution. If your Turbo Driver's price increases to $20m or above after you have selected him as your Turbo Driver, he will remain your Turbo Driver for the current raceweek and will score 2x points. However at the start of the next raceweek, if your Turbo Driver is still priced at $20m or above, the Turbo Driver will be automatically changed to the next highest priced driver in your team priced below $20m.

If your Turbo Driver finishes with negative points, his negative score will be doubled: -2 points will become -4 points.

Mega Driver
Mega Driver is a booster that multiplies the points scored by the selected driver by 3x. Apart from your Turbo Driver, any driver in your team can be selected as your Mega Driver – no price restrictions apply for the Mega Driver.

You get two Mega Driver plays per season – one in the first half of the season up to the summer break and one after the break for the second half of the season. If you do not user your first Mega Driver play before the summer break it will not be carried forward after the break. Once your Mega Driver plays are used, you cannot use them again for the rest of the season.

If your Mega Driver finishes with negative points, his negative score will be tripled: -3 points will become -9 points.

Wildcard
The Wildcard allows you to make up to 12 substitutions for free in the raceweek you play it, enabling you to make a full team reset and to make additional substitutions to grow your budget. You get two Wildcard plays per season - one in the first half of the season up to the summer break and one after for the second half of the season. If you do not use your first Wildcard play before the summer break it will not be carried forward after the break. Once your Wildcards are played you cannot use them again for the rest of the season

Dynamic Pricing
Prices change continuously based on performance and on users making team substitutions. You can use your Subs Bank to grow your budget above $100m by adding and removing drivers and constructors from your team each raceweek, giving you more to spend on other drivers and constructors as the season progresses.

As prices may change frequently, it is the price of a newly added driver or constructor at the time you save your team that will be applied, even if that price is slightly different from the price you saw on screen when you were originally selecting the driver or constructor.

Team Lock
At the start of qualifying each raceweek all teams are locked and no more substitutions can be made for that raceweek. Once the team lock happens, all fantasy teams for that raceweek become visible for all users to see in the league leaderboards. The next raceweek is also opened at the team lock time so you can continue to add and remove drivers and constructors from your teams and increase your available budget for the following raceweek.

Points Scoring
Your drivers and constructors score points based on their performance in qualifying and race each raceweek. All 5 drivers and 1 constructor score points each raceweek, in line with the Points Scoring table.
Constructors score all points accumulated by their drivers apart from "driver only" scoring categories ("beat team mate" bonuses and "driver streak" bonuses). The relevant driver totals (excluding driver only categories) are combined to give the constructor points total - for example: Mercedes = Hamilton + Bottas scores.

Positions gained are based on the position the driver starts at on the grid as this may differ from where they finished in qualifying.

Live Raceweek
All driver and constructor data updates in real time so you can keep track of how your teams are performing as the racing unfolds. League leaderboards are then updated after the Grand Prix finishes.

Post Race
Results for each raceweek are confirmed shortly after the race finishes. League leaderboards are then updated to reflect the finalised standings for that race so you can see performance against your friends and the general public.

Postponed and Cancelled Races
If a Formula 1 Grand Prix is postponed within the same season, points related to that Grand Prix will count when the Grand Prix happens. If a Formula 1 Grand Prix is cancelled, there will be no points related to the cancelled Grand Prix in F1 Fantasy.

AFL Club
Carlton
Really got into the F1 last year so I think I'll give this a go. I might analyse how a couple of the race weekends were scored just to see how it plays out in practice, because just seeing a list of scoring actions isn't really helping me sort it out in my head too much.

So for a race that goes largely to script, for example, Hungary:

Hamilton (3+2+10 quali, 1+3+5+25 race) - 49
Verstappen (3+2+4 quali, 1+10+3+18 race) - 41
Bottas (3+9 quali, 1-2+15 race) - 26
Stroll (3+2+8 quali, 1+3-2+12 race) - 27
Albon (2 quali, 1+10+10 race) - 23
Vettel (3+2+6 quali, 1+3-2+8 race) - 21
Perez (3+7 quali, 1-6+6 race) - 11
Ricciardo (2+2 quali, 1+3+6+4 race) - 18
Sainz (3+2 quali, 1+3+2 race) - 11
Magnussen (1+2 quali, 1+10+3+1 race) - 18

Leclerc (3+5 quali, 1-10 race) - -1
Kvyat (1 quali, 1+10+3+2 race) - 17
Norris (3+2+3 quali, 1-10 race) - -1
Ocon (2 quali, 1 race) - 3
Raikkonen (1 quali, 1+10+3+2 race) - 17
Grosjean (1 quali, 1+4 race) - 6
Giovinazzi (1+2 quali, 1+4 race) - 8
Russell (2+2 quali, 1-5+3+2 race) - 5
Latifi (2 quali, 1-4 race) - -1
Gasly (3+2+1 quali, -15 race) - -9

So it's interesting to see how little difference there is between the upper midfield and some of the lower runners (indeed, Raikkonen scoring more than Perez despite being eight places behind feels slightly off). There's a big premium on making up places in the race, so maybe guys who don't qualify so well but are good on Sunday are good picks. Conversely, Russell will always be an awful pick until he's in a halfway decent car.

Given those are your point spreads for an average race the streak points look quite valuable too (5 or 10 for a streak of five top 10 finishes in quali/race respectively) so swapping in drivers on the verge of those is probably also worthwhile.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
I haven't done this Fantasy F1 comp... But I've been doing Sportsdeck's F1 Dream Team for years... Even hit 1st overall at one stage last year.

It's easy to do and importantly doesn't require much time at all to manage.
I'll have to check it out.
Looks & feels like the familiar SC comp, but doesn't appear open for 2021 yet.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I haven't done this Fantasy F1 comp... But I've been doing Sportsdeck's F1 Dream Team for years... Even hit 1st overall at one stage last year.

It's easy to do and importantly doesn't require much time at all to manage.
I was just about to post the same thing. Been following F1 since I was young (early 90's, beautiful cars) and been taking part in F1 and Supercars dream team on the Sportsdeck site since 2008. Great to see an F1 fantasy thread here.

I'm in for sure, but which site are we going with?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll have to check it out.
Looks & feels like the familiar SC comp, but doesn't appear open for 2021 yet.
Unlike AFL/NRL/BBL, it usually only opens a week or so ahead of race 1. So given the first race is now at the end of March, I cant see it opening before mid March unfortunately.

AFL Club
Adelaide
I was just about to post the same thing. Been following F1 since I was young (early 90's, beautiful cars) and been taking part in F1 and Supercars dream team on the Sportsdeck site since 2008. Great to see an F1 fantasy thread here.

I'm in for sure, but which site are we going with?
I'll be entering both as I'm keen to see how the F1 Fantasy one works, but as there are already a few people who have been using the Sportsdeck version I'd be happy to go with that one as our 'offical' comp.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
How many players does Sportsdeck get in their competition roughly out of interest? I must admit that despite using that site for a couple of years now, I had never noticed the F1...

AFL Club
Hawthorn
How many players does Sportsdeck get in their competition roughly out of interest? I must admit that despite using that site for a couple of years now, I had never noticed the F1...
Wow. Checked out last years stats. 1.5k only. Guess last season fell over pretty quick though.

Hard to get new entrants for a game about f1. Same issue playsport had with motorspot manager on pc. Existing f1 fans bought it but that alone didnt generate enough sales for them to keep going.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sportsdeck Dreamteam F1 is now open.
I've created a league : SCS Racing
Code : 198577
Link : https://sportsdeck.com/au/f1/dreamteam/#/?action=join-league&code=198577

I'll still be in the F1 Fantasy comp if anyone wants to try that as well, details in the first post.
Signed up. That budget sure goes quickly. Hopefully my drivers/cars do too!

I figure we will get a bit better idea closer to the season as to if there's going to be many changes this year, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it could be much the same as last year due to the new regs being pushed to 2022.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those looking for a bit of guidance, pre-season testing is on from Fri-Sun this week.

Just remember, Mercedes usually completely fill their car with fuel, run the slowest tyres...and still end up being pretty quick.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those looking for a bit of guidance, pre-season testing is on from Fri-Sun this week.

Just remember, Mercedes usually completely fill their car with fuel, run the slowest tyres...and still end up being pretty quick.
Not that it means a lot, with a few drivers not doing any laps, heavy fuel loads etc, but it was still good seeing Dan Ricciardo fastest in the morning session. Hopefully he has a good year at the new team.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Not that it means a lot, with a few drivers not doing any laps, heavy fuel loads etc, but it was still good seeing Dan Ricciardo fastest in the morning session. Hopefully he has a good year at the new team.
Yes, I hope the move to a new team delivers the results he's after.
keen for the season to get underway.

If you have Netflix, season 3 of Drive to Survive drops on the 19th March

AFL Club
Hawthorn
First time in a while that Mercedes were the ones with reliability issues in testing.

Number of laps for the day:

Red Bull 138
Alfa Romeo 131
Alpine 128
Ferrari 115
Alpha Tauri 111
Aston Martin 97
McLaren 90
Haas 84
Williams 83
Mercedes 48