Fantasy BBL09 - Player Overviews/Considerations for Upcoming Season

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all. Thought I’d do my analysis on my knowledge of every player in the current BBL squads. This is more of a general overview for those guys who aren’t as familiar with cricket and need a helping hand. This doesn’t take into account Bye/Double rounds as of yet so there’s likely to be plenty of adjusting to come.

There are 5 categories I’ve placed players into. I hope its not too confusing but I’ve provided an explanation of each below:

Strongly Consider: In the ‘keeper’ category. Should score strongly as they are in a position where competition for their position is low and/or are a key player for their franchise.

Underrated/Value Buy: These guys are where the value lies. An allrounder that is now in a team where they feature heavily? GREAT! A player that was injured last season and is now performing like a keeper in the domestic competion? Even better. I hope there’ll be a few of these that I can scout for you all.

Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit: These players fall into the category of risk. These guys are the ones who are now either past it and/or potentially have gone to franchises where conditions or playing XI’s will affect their output.

Cheapie: This one is obvious and a word that is synonymous with SuperCoach. You need a handful of strong cheapies to start your season, or you fall behind very quickly.

Pass: These players are generally not SuperCoach friendly and as a rule I strike them out and am not phased by the flash in a pan performances that can happen.

Note: These will be subject to change as new players are added and fixtures/byes/prices are known which will potentially swing my ‘Verdict’.

Adelaide Strikers:

Wes Agar: Right arm Fast Medium. More of a support bowler in the Strikers lineup, was used sporadically throughout BBL08. As a fantasy bowler, he could be useful if his price is below 80K, but realistically he won’t be a strong cash cow.

Verdict = Pass

Alex Carey: Obviously one of the premier Keeper Batsmen in the competition. Had a bit of a nightmare during last season, but given his recent WC performances could very well ‘boss’ the domestic competition coming up. We all know how destructive he is when on top of his game, and hopefully he can showcase this without his running woes that he shared with opening partner Jake Weatherald.

Verdict = Strongly Consider

Travis Head: As good as he has been in the past in the shortest format, we know with test selection it could make selecting him in our squads a risk. A good draw could swing him to a strongly consider, but given the unknowns currently its best he slots into the Risk category for now.

Verdict: Risk/ Consider if Fixtures Suit

Rashid Khan: Huge player the past two seasons, realistically has another big role to play for the strikers again this season being the frontline spinner and potential pinch hitter. Its hard to say no to the Afghani given how quickly he can change a game (and his fantasy total). Will be one of the first keepers I bring into my squad assuming there aren’t 5 must have bowler cheapies.

Verdict: Strongly Consider

Ben Laughlin: Has been a quality player in the past, but I genuinely think he’s in his last season this time round and will likely be phased out of the Strikers team if anyone even half decent comes along. Does bowl at the death which is gold for SuperCoach points (wickets) but last season he looked down on pace and accuracy.

Verdict: Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit

Jake Lehmann: Had a role change last season which piqued my interest, but given the lateness with which this change occurred, it made it hard to consider him seriously. If he were to bat at 3 more consistently with the security of knowing he was there each week, he’s one to consider as a batsman cheapie. If not, then he’s back to the scrap pile.

Verdict: Risk

Michael Neser: Useful allrounder and plays a good role for the Strikers. Bowls up front and occasionally at the death if things are going well for him. Generally though, he bowls 2 overs at the beginning and 2 in the middle. Bats at that awkward position at 7 which makes it hard for us to say with confidence he will get a bat each match, but enough to tempt us into selecting him. Watch his price, if it dips below 120K, then he might be a solid buy (presuming no other allrounders tempt you).

Liam O’Connor: A right-arm leggie with an unorthodox action who had a decent amount of success given who his counterpart in the team was. Has the advantage of guys trying to go after him as they struggle to take on Rashid and does tend to take a wicket most games. However, his place in the team isn’t always assured given the changing conditions/grounds.

Phil Salt: New overseas player joining the BBL. Still quite young and is developing his game. Most recent footage I've seen of him has him using a trigger movement, which allows him to access the offside more easily. The trouble with these types of movements, are they can get you in trouble when the ball starts to leap off a length more (like it does in Australia). Expect him to do well on wickets like the SCG, Marvel, MCG and Adelaide. Will likely struggle at Optus, GABBA and Hobart where the pitches have a bit more pace about them. You'd hope that Salt will be priced fairly low (something like Mujeeb's price last season) and we will have a value overseas pick again this season.

Verdict: Risk (if priced above 90K), Value (if priced below 75K).

Matt Short: A batsman who hasn’t really lit the BBL on fire apart from 1-2 innings. You’d have to think the arrival of Cameron White puts him under severe pressure to perform or potentially puts him out of the team altogether for the start of the competition. Has bowled at times with his off-spin, so if picked he has a decent amount of upside. Realistically though, he isn’t going to be a cheapie, nor an upper echelon player this season.

Verdict: Pass

Peter Siddle: Has been pretty solid when it comes to BBL. Does a good holding job for the Strikers and picks up the odd wicket. Doesn’t really get to bat very often given how low he is in the order. There’s potentially a lot of shuffling for the bowlers at the Strikers with about 7-8 in their squad, so Siddle could easily miss a game or two throughout the campaign.

Billy Stanlake: I love watching this guy bowl, but jeez he has the potential to go for some runs. Generally struggles on wickets that offer little to nothing in terms of bounce and pace. Rely on him to take a 3-4 fa at least once this season, but don’t be surprised if goes for 40+ the next game.

Cameron Valente: This is a guy I watched throughout the JLT cup last season and thought he was going to burst onto the BBL scene in a similar way. As previously mentioned though, the Strikers rotation ruined his ability to be a great cheapie for us. Now will likely be awkwardly priced going into the season, so he is a risk, but potentially presents value if given the right role. I lean towards risk pick here, only because he is an allrounder that potentially has the bowler only tag. Will be changed to value pick if he ends up with dual position.

Jake Weatherald: Poor last season by his standards and will be out to impress this season with a T/20 WC around the corner. Tends to be a ball magnet in the field and gets those important catch points here and there. Has dropped a lot in price on last year’s starting price so I believe he presents some value for us.

Verdict: Value Buy

Jon Wells: Great little player, very classy in amongst the power-hitters in this format. Has shown he can score at a very fast rate wherever he bats in the order. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t play for the Thunder, as he’d likely be their no.3-4 which would be perfect for SuperCoach purposes. His awkward price (between 100-120K) will make it tough to justify his selection, especially if he doesn’t bat in the top 4.

Cameron White: A big move for the Bear this season, which I think will be a fruitful one for the Strikers. Should slot in nicely at 3-4 in their team, which is what they’ve been missing a little bit when Head is not in the team. At under 90K, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of people picking up White this season.

Verdict: Underrated/Value Buy

Nick Winter: Great left arm quick who is able to swing it around. No opportunities last season, and it looks bleak for him given the squad the Strikers are building. Watch for Round 1 teams to see whether he is being considered.

Verdict: Risk (Cheapie if selected Round 1)

If there's any other information you'd appreciate for any player, please feel free to ask below. I will try and add the other teams as I find time.

Last edited:

Connoisseur

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi all. Thought I’d do my analysis on my knowledge of every player in the current BBL squads. This is more of a general overview for those guys who aren’t as familiar with cricket and need a helping hand. This doesn’t take into account Bye/Double rounds as of yet so there’s likely to be plenty of adjusting to come.

There are 5 categories I’ve placed players into. I hope its not too confusing but I’ve provided an explanation of each below:

Strongly Consider: In the ‘keeper’ category. Should score strongly as they are in a position where competition for their position is low and/or are a key player for their franchise.

Underrated/Value Buy: These guys are where the value lies. An allrounder that is now in a team where they feature heavily? GREAT! A player that was injured last season and is now performing like a keeper in the domestic competion? Even better. I hope there’ll be a few of these that I can scout for you all.

Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit: These players fall into the category of risk. These guys are the ones who are now either past it and/or potentially have gone to franchises where conditions or playing XI’s will affect their output.

Cheapie: This one is obvious and a word that is synonymous with SuperCoach. You need a handful of strong cheapies to start your season, or you fall behind very quickly.

Pass: These players are generally not SuperCoach friendly and as a rule I strike them out and am not phased by the flash in a pan performances that can happen.

Note: These will be subject to change as new players are added and fixtures/byes/prices are known which will potentially swing my ‘Verdict’.

Adelaide Strikers:

Wes Agar: Right arm Fast Medium. More of a support bowler in the Strikers lineup, was used sporadically throughout BBL08. As a fantasy bowler, he could be useful if his price is below 80K, but realistically he won’t be a strong cash cow.

Verdict = Pass

Alex Carey: Obviously one of the premier Keeper Batsmen in the competition. Had a bit of a nightmare during last season, but given his recent WC performances could very well ‘boss’ the domestic competition coming up. We all know how destructive he is when on top of his game, and hopefully he can showcase this without his running woes that he shared with opening partner Jake Weatherald.

Travis Head: As good as he has been in the past in the shortest format, we know with test selection it could make selecting him in our squads a risk. A good draw could swing him to a strongly consider, but given the unknowns currently its best he slots into the Risk category for now.

Rashid Khan: Huge player the past two seasons, realistically has another big role to play for the strikers again this season being the frontline spinner and potential pinch hitter. Its hard to say no to the Afghani given how quickly he can change a game (and his fantasy total). Will be one of the first keepers I bring into my squad assuming there aren’t 5 must have bowler cheapies.

Ben Laughlin: Has been a quality player in the past, but I genuinely think he’s in his last season this time round and will likely be phased out of the Strikers team if anyone even half decent comes along. Does bowl at the death which is gold for SuperCoach points (wickets) but last season he looked down on pace and accuracy.

Jake Lehmann: Had a role change last season which piqued my interest, but given the lateness with which this change occurred, it made it hard to consider him seriously. If he were to bat at 3 more consistently with the security of knowing he was there each week, he’s one to consider as a batsman cheapie. If not, then he’s back to the scrap pile.

Michael Neser: Useful allrounder and plays a good role for the Strikers. Bowls up front and occasionally at the death if things are going well for him. Generally though, he bowls 2 overs at the beginning and 2 in the middle. Bats at that awkward position at 7 which makes it hard for us to say with confidence he will get a bat each match, but enough to tempt us into selecting him. Watch his price, if it dips below 120K, then he might be a solid buy (presuming no other allrounders tempt you).

Liam O’Connor: A right-arm leggie with an unorthodox action who had a decent amount of success given who his counterpart in the team was. Has the advantage of guys trying to go after him as they struggle to take on Rashid and does tend to take a wicket most games. However, his place in the team isn’t always assured given the changing conditions/grounds.

Matt Short: A batsman who hasn’t really lit the BBL on fire apart from 1-2 innings. You’d have to think the arrival of Cameron White puts him under severe pressure to perform or potentially puts him out of the team altogether for the start of the competition. Has bowled at times with his off-spin, so if picked he has a decent amount of upside. Realistically though, he isn’t going to be a cheapie, nor an upper echelon player this season.

Peter Siddle: Has been pretty solid when it comes to BBL. Does a good holding job for the Strikers and picks up the odd wicket. Doesn’t really get to bat very often given how low he is in the order. There’s potentially a lot of shuffling for the bowlers at the Strikers with about 7-8 in their squad, so Siddle could easily miss a game or two throughout the campaign.

Billy Stanlake: I love watching this guy bowl, but jeez he has the potential to go for some runs. Generally struggles on wickets that offer little to nothing in terms of bounce and pace. Rely on him to take a 3-4 fa at least once this season, but don’t be surprised if goes for 40+ the next game.

Cameron Valente: This is a guy I watched throughout the JLT cup last season and thought he was going to burst onto the BBL scene in a similar way. As previously mentioned though, the Strikers rotation ruined his ability to be a great cheapie for us. Now will likely be awkwardly priced going into the season, so he is a risk, but potentially presents value if given the right role. I lean towards risk pick here, only because he is an allrounder that potentially has the bowler only tag. Will be changed to value pick if he ends up with dual position.

Jake Weatherald: Poor last season by his standards and will be out to impress this season with a T/20 WC around the corner. Tends to be a ball magnet in the field and gets those important catch points here and there. Has dropped a lot in price on last year’s starting price so I believe he presents some value for us.

Jon Wells: Great little player, very classy in amongst the power-hitters in this format. Has shown he can score at a very fast rate wherever he bats in the order. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t play for the Thunder, as he’d likely be their no.3-4 which would be perfect for SuperCoach purposes. His awkward price (between 100-120K) will make it tough to justify his selection, especially if he doesn’t bat in the top 4.

Cameron White: A big move for the Bear this season, which I think will be a fruitful one for the Strikers. Should slot in nicely at 3-4 in their team, which is what they’ve been missing a little bit when Head is not in the team. At under 90K, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of people picking up White this season.

Nick Winter: Great left arm quick who is able to swing it around. No opportunities last season, and it looks bleak for him given the squad the Strikers are building. Watch for Round 1 teams to see whether he is being considered.

If there's any other information you'd appreciate for any player, please feel free to ask below. I will try and add the other teams as I find time.
For anyone wanting to predict starting prices for players, last year the magic number was around 2707 to multiply their season avg by to approximately receive their price but players involved in the test squad received surcharges/weren't priced based on avg.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood

Adelaide Strikers:

Verdict = Pass

Fantastic insight , I am particularly interested in your thoughts on Philip Salt and assuming they are all available where do Carey , Weatherald , Salt & Head fit in the order ?

Head will need Shield runs to get back into the Test side , Carey will go to India for the ODI.

Suspect Wells is a lock , so would leave Lehmann , Short & White battling for 1 spot when everyone is available.

Last edited:

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For anyone wanting to predict prices for players, last year the magic number was around 2707 to multiply their season avg by to approximately receive their price but players involved in the test squad received surcharges/weren't priced based on avg.
Haven't attempted to do predicted BE's /price changes yet for this format yet but am probably going to give it a go this year ... have a fair idea of the formula required

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Fantastic insight , I am particularly interested in your thoughts on Philip Salt and assuming they are all available where do Carey , Weatherald , Salt & Head fit in the order ?

Head will need Shield runs to get back into the Test side , Carey will go to India for the ODI.

Suspect Wells is a lock , so would leave Lehmann , Short & White battling for 1 spot when everyone is available.
Before you posted about him joining the BBL, I actually had zero idea of who he was, which is unusual for me as I follow County Cricket semi regularly.

The very little footage that I've seen thus far, he looks a very accomplished player against guys that bowl 135k's or lower. Would be interested in seeing how he plays guys that can ramp it up in speed as he has a trigger movement that pushes him onto his front foot for off side play. This generally works against bowlers that aren't quite as quick, as you can leap into deliveries that are a bit shorter, but he could run into a bit of trouble should he face a Cummins or Archer who decides to pound it into the wicket. Suspect he'll bat 4-5 in the Strikers lineup based on the fact he hits weird areas (this is a good thing for casual cricket fans) and has the capacity to clear the fence. Hard to see him opening with Weatherald and Carey there.

Very interested to see his price. Anything above 90K and I'm likely to ignore him, but anything below 75K and he's potentially a steal (pending availability).

EDIT: Will add him into the list now.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Before you posted about him joining the BBL, I actually had zero idea of who he was, which is unusual for me as I follow County Cricket semi regularly.

The very little footage that I've seen thus far, he looks a very accomplished player against guys that bowl 135k's or lower. Would be interested in seeing how he plays guys that can ramp it up in speed as he has a trigger movement that pushes him onto his front foot for off side play. This generally works against bowlers that aren't quite as quick, as you can leap into deliveries that are a bit shorter, but he could run into a bit of trouble should he face a Cummins or Archer who decides to pound it into the wicket. Suspect he'll bat 4-5 in the Strikers lineup based on the fact he hits weird areas (this is a good thing for casual cricket fans) and has the capacity to clear the fence. Hard to see him opening with Weatherald and Carey there.

Very interested to see his price. Anything above 90K and I'm likely to ignore him, but anything below 75K and he's potentially a steal (pending availability).
Never heard of him at all to be honest , my friend is Google and Wikipedia 😀.

Apparently can bowl a bit and keep wicket as well.

Dizzy obviously rates him.

Played Grade cricket in Adelaide last season as well.

Can't see them breaking up Carey & Weatherald up top and Head will be at 3 , so have 5 options for the other 3 teams.

Hasn't played International Cricket yet so we might get him for $ 65,000.00

Archer will be in South Africa all Big Bash , so he won't be a issue.

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Never heard of him at all to be honest , my friend is Google and Wikipedia 😀.

Apparently can bowl a bit and keep wicket as well.

Dizzy obviously rates him.

Played Grade cricket in Adelaide last season as well.

Can't see them breaking up Carey & Weatherald up top and Head will be at 3 , so have 5 options for the other 3 teams.

Hasn't played International Cricket yet so we might get him for $ 65,000.00

Archer will be in South Africa all Big Bash , so he won't be a issue.
Just gone through his stats. He played in the Sydney Grade comp 3 years ago and the Adelaide comp 2 years ago. His numbers in the Sydney comp were not very encouraging and the Adelaide stats are not much better. I ignored grade stats idiotically last season when it came to Qadir, so I'm thinking Salt might be a good one to pass on as he won't present the value/cash cow potential that other rookies will.

EDIT: Recent T/20 statistics in his domestic comp. 7 innings, 1 score of over 30 (72) and 2 other scores over 20. Pretty awful considering how much weaker the County T/20 competition is. Really could be the trap cheapie of this season.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just gone through his stats. He played in the Sydney Grade comp 3 years ago and the Adelaide comp 2 years ago. His numbers in the Sydney comp were not very encouraging and the Adelaide stats are not much better. I ignored grade stats idiotically last season when it came to Qadir, so I'm thinking Salt might be a good one to pass on as he won't present the value/cash cow potential that other rookies will.
I had Qadir earmarked for Australian selection so certainly way off the mark as well.

Hard to workout a starting team at the moment without squads finalised and starting prices but keen to see starting prices for Finch , Head , Lynn , Marsh x 2 initially.

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane Heat

Max Bryant: Had a good debut season last year and will be looking to build on it again this BBL. Has the game where he could potentially be in the top 10 batsmen for the BBL, but just needs to find a way to bat time. Without McCullum in the team, he could potentially look to be the enforcer which might see him hole out more often or play overly aggressive strokes. I feel like he will have improved his game over the winter and we will see some good knocks from him in the Domestic OD comp over the next month.

Verdict: Value/Underrated.

Joe Burns: Given the lack of opportunities that Burns received last season (and the lack of points to go with it), you’d be happy to pass him over when selecting your initial squad. However, with no McCullum and Cutting being hit and miss in the opener position, there is potential Burns may start at the top for the Heat this season. One to watch for mine, as he is accomplished against the new ball and will be looking to pile on the runs after his Ashes selection snub.

Verdict: Value (if selected at top of order) or Risk (if selected for Tests)

Ben Cutting: This man is the bane of my BBL SuperCoach existence. Whenever he isn’t in my squad or starting lineup, he goes large. Whenever I have him scoring for me, he drops catches onto his face. The man tempts me every season and will undoubtedly do so again considering how well he was hitting the ball in a recent grade match. The man is an excitement magnet whether he is on the right side of the action or not. Choose at your own risk, but the payoff is massive if he goes well with either bat or ball.

Fakir Khan: Don't know enough about this fella as of yet, so will reserve judgement until I've done a little more research.

Verdict: To Be Decided

Sam Heazlett: The type of player you like to have in your team, but seems to be out of position at the Heat, so his full effectiveness is never witnessed. With the batting stocks still at the Heat, it’s a possibility he will continue to bat 5-6 or miss out altogether. There’s too many variables for me to select him as a serious option unless he has some seriously good one-day form over the next month.

Marnus Labuschagne: The recent test batting sensation is yet to make a mark on the T/20 game, but with the improved confidence there’s every chance he could translate this into some BBL form. With just the one match last season he will present some great value in the games he does play, but unfortunately test selection will likely curb our chances at a quality cheapie batsman.

Verdict: Cheapie

Josh Lalor: Was the 2nd highest scoring player in the Heat lineup and had the best average to boot. However, he is highly dependent on wickets (500 points out of 772) so if the wickets dry up for him, his 180K+ price tag is looking like a trap. Does however bowl at the death and his being a left hander does help him somewhat.

Verdict: Risk (Personally would say Pass, but his role was fairly consistent last season so don’t want people to be lead astray)

Chris Lynn: Once the BBL stud of the competition, but last season really derailed his status and price. Given the dramatic drop, we should be watching his one-day form (assuming he is selected). Personally, I think he presents a lot of value and will likely be in my starting team (along with many thousand other coaches). If he is fit and firing, there’s no other specialist batsman in the competition that can outdo him (D.Short the only one but Bat/Bowl Status).

Verdict: Value

James Pattinson: One of my favourite bowlers to watch despite him being a Victorian (cue the boos). An excitement machine with the new ball and a pretty handy batsman when required. Awkwardly priced at just over 100K at the end of last season presents a couple of issues, but he could well be worth the punt if fixtures place him on wickets where there’s a bit more pace and bounce (i.e. Optus, Gabba and Hobart). Test selection also a factor, so keep an eye on this.

Verdict: Risk (if selected for tests) Value (if snubbed for tests)

James Peirson: An unusual player in the BBL. Has been around a few seasons but apart from the odd score has never really stamped his mark on the competition. Should be in the team for the season without another keeper in the squad (currently!), but his scoring history suggests we should look elsewhere in the keeper department.

Verdict: Treat as a Cheapie or Pass on him in my opinion.

Jack Prestwidge: An interesting player who debuted last season, but didn’t have a huge impact in the half dozen games he played. Probably fair to say he isn’t a quality SuperCoach player, but obviously has enough talent to do a role for the Heat.

Matt Renshaw: Was a bit of an enigma when he started to open the bowling with his genuine puss off-spin (I have no regrets saying this). I have absolutely no doubt the Heat will try this filth tactic again, but believe that teams will be wise to it this season and make them regret it. His batting seemed to be more expansive towards the end which was great to see, but it has put him in a really tough place price wise.

Verdict: Risk/Pass (if he doesn’t bowl)

Mark Steketee: Interested to see what his pricing is like this season, but not confident in his being selected consistently in the Heat squad after only playing 2 games last season. He’s a steady bowler who usually opens but hasn’t got any qualities that make him an effective T/20 bowler. Unlikely to get much of a discount as he played games as well, meaning his price will likely hover above the 100K mark.

Mitch Swepson: A quality leg spinner, but hasn’t really made the impact that has been expected of him recently. That said, given the success of spinners in the BBL, he isn’t a terrible option if you don’t like Cam Boyce, Rashid, Mujeeb or Qais Ahmed at their prices (I assume all above 110K). Would probably gamble on rookies though, rather than a 90K bowler that may not appreciate much in price.

Mujeeb Ur Rahman: Was a solid performer last season as a youngster, and we should expect to see more of the same from the orthodox bowler. His role seems to change a lot in terms of when he bowls, and the earlier doesn't always mean the better for him. His price did inflate after a few great games near the end of the season so he is a risk but he should be fairly consistent with good economy rate and the consistent 1-2 fa's.

Verdict: Risk (Lower risk than most, consider if other options are poor)

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynn was originally not going to take part in the Marsh 1 day cup and play in the APL (subsequently cancelled) and the T10 in the UAE.

Connoisseur

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players I'll be heavily considering from the above team previews:
Adel- A Carey, T Head, R Khan, P Salt, B Laughlin, C White
Bris- M Bryant, J Burns, C Lynn, F Khan, M Ur-Rahman

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry, been really slack with this, will punch a couple out tonight so guys can have something to go off for their own planning.

Hobart Hurricanes

Qais Ahmad: Came into the BBL late last season and made an immediate impact. Could be awkwardly priced but given how well he did, I’d be tempted to take the punt as he will be worth less than a host of other established spinners.

Verdict: Underrated/Value

Jofra Archer: A lot has happened in the last 12 months for this man, but he still has the rawness of pace that got everyone excited at the beginning of the last BBL. Will be a risk with English duties intervening, so keep a close eye on his availability.

George Bailey: One of the crowd favourites come this time of the season and will no doubt be amongst it once again. Could present some value, but he realistically doesn’t bat high enough to score enough points consistently with the likes of D’Arcy Short, McDermott and Wade above him who tend to be quite consistent.

Verdict: Risk (only because of the quality above him)

James Faulkner: A proven performer and ex-international, Faulkner will be looking to turn it on during this BBL after a solid showing last campaign. If free of injury, he could well be a top performer this season, as he bowls at the beginning and end of innings where we see a lot of wickets. At under 140K, I believe he presents a little value, so don’t be afraid to have a crack. However, I may stay my hand in favour of some of the other prospects that are around the traps.

Verdict: Risk/Value (depending on what side of the fence you are looking from)

Caleb Jewell: An interesting prospect. Took a while before he got a go and, like the sleepers who perform well in other sports with positional changes, did a great job for those who took a punt on him with some solid scores. Should open when Matt Wade isn’t in the team, so his stocks have risen somewhat. Wouldn’t pick over the genuine cheapies running around this season, but if you’re flat out for options, then Jewell is your man.

Ben McDermott: A little disappointing last campaign from the son of Craig, but as a SuperCoach I am tempted by the potential value he presents. People might think what on earth am I thinking considering he increased his starting price from last season, but with Wade potentially on international duties there’s an opportunity for him to make the no.3 spot in the Hurricanes XI his own (with Jewell to open).

Verdict: Value (assuming Wade is on Test duty)

Riley Meredith: Set the BBL alight with some very entertaining spells. At 110K he’s very awkwardly priced as he’s heavily reliant on wickets, as he has gone the distance and I don’t expect this to improve too much given his raw pace. A good option during bye rounds and against teams that struggle vs genuine quicks.

Tom Rogers: Didn’t get a game last season, but with Archer potentially missing a lot of this campaign, will be a slight chance of playing. Unless he gets a big discount on last season’s starting price, I’d be avoiding altogether.

D'Arcy Short: Put simply, he is the SuperCoach stud that you need in your team. Dynamic with the bat at the top of the order and is the first part-timer to get the ball if required. Might be hard to fit in both Short and Stoinis into your lineups, but I would definitely recommend having at least 1 of them in your squad at the beginning of the season.

Aaron Summers: Right-arm seamer at basement price and didn’t play a game last season. As with Rogers, he’s a chance of playing this season and will definitely be worth grabbing if named. Watch for Round 1 teams.

Verdict: Cheapie (if named)

Matthew Wade: Has had a remarkable 18 months and rewarded with test selection recently. Unfortunately for SuperCoaches, this means we likely lose him for the majority of the BBL season. He is worth over 200K which is more than double what he started at last season. Would probably avoid unless he is available for the double round/s.

Verdict: Avoid (unless he misses test selection)

Last edited:

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Just realised I won't be able to edit previous posts for the players added to the squads (e.g. ABD to Heat), so might have to post a list of the players I haven't got in my lists later on.

Melbourne Renegades

Cameron Boyce: Honest toiler and exactly the kind of spinner you love to have in your team. One of the more consistent bowlers going around and had a lot of really good games during last BBL which probably puts him outside what I would consider a sensible price for what you will get out of him this season. Benefitted from Marvel Stadium being really slow and tough to score on, so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays come game 1 this campaign.

Verdict: Avoid (until he comes under 150K, then buy buy buy!)

Dan Christian: Had a brilliant season whilst helping the Renegades to the title. Despite having a role that doesn’t promote consistent SC scores, Christian seems to find a way to get into the action. Fields in the hotspots (deep mid off/mid on), clears the boundary when facing a dozen or more balls and has a happy knack of taking wickets along with the odd economy bonus. May not feature in your starting lineup, but he is definitely a player that will be in your team at some point.

Tom Cooper: A frustrating player from a SC point of view. Bowls as a part-timer and bats in various positions in the order (between 1-5) but performs well in maybe one out of every 5 games. Will no doubt be tempted by his 110K price tag, but realistically better off avoiding until we see him playing a consistent role.

Verdict: Avoid

Zak Evans: I know literally nothing about this young bloke and will have to do my research during the next month or so. Happy for others to fill me in if they know about him.

Verdict: To be decided.

Aaron Finch: The more this bloke is in the Renegades squad, the better for us SuperCoaches. With his test hopes seemingly snuffed out for the time being, we can lick our lips at a seriously cheap Finch. I’ll almost certainly be starting him unless fate intervenes.

Verdict: Value/Strongly Consider

Jake Fraser-McGurk: The same as Zak Evans, know very little about this fella apart from the fact he was on the Renegades books last campaign.

Harry Gurney: If you met this fellow out and about, you wouldn’t think he was a cricketer. Apart from his happy knack of taking wickets with his left arm all sorts, you wouldn’t be blamed. Probably a touch above what I would like to pay for him at the start of a BBL season, as you wouldn’t think he’d improve much more without putting some runs on the board somehow.

Verdict: Avoid (grab for the double rounds)

Sam Harper: Had a solid year last campaign and was a good cheapie for those who jumped on board. However, he probably won’t present the value that we saw last season and is therefore an avoid in my books given the other keepers available around the same price.

Verdict: Avoid

Marcus Harris: The opener presents an interesting dilemma for Supercoaches; do we jump on knowing he could play in a test during the summer or do we avoid altogether in favour of a basement cheapie? I’m in the middle at the moment but leaning towards taking the risk as he will be priced very nicely.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk (pending test selection)

Mackenzie Harvey: Was a bit of a flop as a cheapie and I can safely say I will not be taking the ride again this season. Probably sounds a little harsh given his age, but I’d prefer to have seen a bit more from a guy thrust into the opening position (ala Max Bryant from the Heat).

Jon Holland: Steady domestic player but has never been a vital cog in the Renegades lineup with Boyce in the squad. Nabi being in the team means there’s barely any opportunities for Holland.

Shaun Marsh: Made the move from the Scorchers and potentially has made a dud move by making his new ground Marvel. Feel like he’ll do well away from home, but might struggle for the rest unless the pitch changes dramatically from last season. Given this information, his price is quite awkward but does present value if he can perform like the Shaun Marsh of old.

Verdict: Value/Risk

Joe Mennie: Solid toiler at this level, will be interested to see how often he is in the team. Had a decent start to this domestic season so am interested to see what the Renegades bowling attack shapes up like.

Verdict: Risk (team selection biggest enemy currently)

Mohammad Nabi: Brilliant last season and will no doubt feature heavily again. Could be frustrating at times when he wouldn’t get the opportunity to bat, but he is an excitement machine when batting or bowling and racks up the points. Consider him for your starting team if the draw favours Renegades.

Kane Richardson: Had a remarkable BBL last time round, especially playing at Marvel and will hope to replicate this form again this season. Could be somewhat of a risk at his price tag if there aren’t too many games at Marvel early, but he should be among the top 10 bowlers in the BBL (barring national selection in shorter formats)

Verdict: Risk/Strongly Consider

Will Sutherland: A young gun that had his season curtailed by injury last campaign. Hopefully this season sees him bowling and getting us some valuable cash early on this season.

Beau Webster: A decent player, but his role in the team is pretty uncertain, making him a tough player to trust. Can clear the fence and is handy with the ball, but unfortunately is a pass for me this season again.

Jack Wildermuth: One of those guys who on face value looks an absolute steal, but in reality hasn’t performed to the heights we expect. Bats quite low so his hitting power is wasted somewhat and his bowling wasn’t reliable at all with him not bowling his quota at times. Pick at your own peril, I will be avoiding but list him as a risk.

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
@7/11 I reckon if you ask or PM one of the Mods they will be able to edit an older post for you.

P.S. loving your reviews!
I might hold off until just before the competition starts (a week or so), just in case there are some late signings/injuries that cause squad changes. I'll do an overview of the guys I have 'to be decided' later on in a separate post.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jake Fraser-McGurk: 17 years old, absolutely whacks the living daylights out of balls. Hit a near on run-a-ball 130 for Vic 2nd XI during the week. Will be tough to crack the middle order with Marsh coming into the side for White essentially, and the rest reasonably settled, also bowls some half handy fast leggies. May not get his chance this year, however will be a staple of fantasy BBL sides down the track.

Last edited:

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Let me know if I have missed any players from the Stars and previous squads I've given info on. I'll try to make sure I include them in a post once teams are finalised. Hopefully will have the last 3 teams done tonight so there can be some proper discussion.

Melbourne Stars

Hilton Cartwright: Depending on his role for this season, which I doubt will be within the top 4 of the Stars batting lineup, he could be handy cheapie. However, with the batsmen at the Stars disposal, he is likely to be batting 5-7.

Verdict: Risk/Pass

Jackson Coleman: Decent bowler when given the opportunity, but the Stars have plenty of bowling options that could see Coleman missing out on selection. Price will likely be an issue too, as he is not a basement cheapie like a few that will be floating around this season.

Nathan Coulter-Nile: Not playing the longer format could help him get primed for the upcoming Big Bash season, so he will definitely be one on my list to watch. There are a few factors to consider though. How will his new home ground, the MCG, affect his ability to take wickets? New team more than likely means a different role, so this can also affect scoring. Personally hoping he bats slightly higher and takes the new ball, but that’s best case scenario.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk

Ben Dunk: One of the more frustrating BBL selections of recent seasons. Has the ability to score quickly and rack up the points just like the premium players in the competition, but not quite the consistency of the very best. One to watch if he has keeper/batsman status, but I would probably look for more value elsewhere to begin with.

Verdict: Risk/Pass

Peter Handscomb: One of the players that SuperCoaches will benefit from this season given he is very unlikely to feature in the test squad this summer. Hopefully retains keeper/batsman status and will probably be in a fair few teams from the beginning.

Verdict: Underrated/Risk

Clint Hinchliffe: Honestly don’t know a lot about him despite his playing for the Scorchers at some point. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Sandeep Lamicchane: What a revelation this guy was! Brilliant cheapie for those who jumped on early. It was a shame he had to leave midway through the season for a few matches, otherwise he potentially would’ve been close to 200k at a point. Haven’t checked his availability, but if he’s able to play the majority of the games, you’ll want to consider.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (if availability is iffy)

Nic Maddinson: The recent double centurion has all the skills to be very successful in the BBL, but was horribly out of form last season. However, that was mainly because he was returning from injury and it potentially hampered him. My view is that he will have a big season after having put some runs on the board and he’s at a nice discount given the poor showing last campaign.

Glenn Maxwell: The would be stud of BBL if he can show some consistency. The Big Show is nearing that age where he is about to absolutely a comp and show all his experience. Priced over 200K and will be a guy you either stick with for the whole time or bring in during the bye rounds, Maxwell is definitely one to consider.

Jonathan Merlo: 4 games last season and didn’t really do enough to vindicate his selection for the new season. On the Stars list still, but for Supercoaches, he probably doesn’t provide any potential for price increases as his role is likely to bat low and barely bowl.

Verdict: Cheapie/Risk

Lance Morris: On the Stars list again but didn’t see a match last campaign. Don’t know a lot about his ability, and again happy to hear from guys who know something about him.

Dale Steyn: We all know the great man, we all know he can deliver, but the magic question is ‘what will his price be’? It may not matter for some, but with an ageing quick who may have some issues bowling at the MCG, I’m not going to be jumping the gun if his price is too excessive.

Verdict: Risk (pending price)

Marcus Stoinis: The Greek god of cricket. Scored some rather insane scores last season but did the right thing and brought himself back under 300K towards the end. If he continues to bowl 4 overs and open the batting, I don’t think you can say no to grabbing him.

Daniel Worrall: Doesn’t present a lot of value, but has the tools to take wickets at the top of the innings. Did really well in the finals series so his price pushed up a bit. Consider if his role is the same at the beginning of the season.

Verdict: Risk/Underrated

Adam Zampa: A player that didn’t have a bad season, but not a great one from a supercoach perspective. Perhaps overshadowed by Lamicchane, or just didn’t bowl at the right times I don’t know. Hard to tell if he will have a big season or not, but make sure to ignore his Shield form as he has never been a good longer format player.

7/11

AFL Club
Sydney
Perth Scorchers

Ashton Agar: Another one of those guys who has the skillset to score strongly in SuperCoach but has the flash in the pan performances every once in a while. That said, with a few players leaving the scorchers, there’s a chance he will benefit from the increased responsibility/opportunity. Definitely one to consider if his draw is favourable.

Fawad Ahmed: Made the move from the Thunder this season which I think is a massive mistake for his performances. I have always been a fan of Fuzzy in conditions that suited (Spotless, MCG and Marvel), but I will not be considering this season.

Cameron Bancroft: Has previously shown some good form in T/20 and will be one to consider after a very lean campaign (bar 1-2 scores). His discounted price will tempt many, and if he is at the top of the order (big chance with no Shaun Marsh), then you can definitely consider.

Verdict: Risk/Underrated

Jason Behrendorff: Out for the season undergoing back surgery, do not place him in your team.

Cameron Green: Handy bowler in the longer format but only saw one opportunity last campaign. Look for this to change without Coulter-Nile and Behrendorff in the frame. Could be a very valuable cheapie for us this season with some luck.

Aaron Hardie: Another handy bowler floating around in the Scorchers squad. Also quite cheap, so he or Green could be picking up a spot in the team from the very beginning.

Nick Hobson: A couple of useful knocks with the bat when required, but doesn’t present the value as some of the other players will this season. Probably give him a miss unless he somehow features in the top 3-4 for the Scorchers.

Josh Inglis: Touted as a gun of the future, Inglis didn’t have a lot of opportunity to get into the season, with a great 55 in his last match. With Bancroft in the team, its hard to see him taking the gloves, but he most certainly will be a chance to feature in the lineup.

Matthew Kelly: Had a couple of mammoth scores, courtesy of two 3 wicket hauls, but otherwise was heavily reliant on wickets for his points. Probably a good player to wait on if you’re keen, as he will most definitely come down in price from his 180K tag.

Verdict: Risk (wait until he is cheaper)

Mitchell Marsh: The SuperCoach stud of the West. Has the potential to be as prolific as Stoinis as he has the same qualities as him. Will likely bowl 3-4 overs every game and bat 3 or 4. Hard to see him staying out of the action this season with increased responsibility on him. Very cheap considering what he can do. Only issue is potential test selection.

Joel Paris: Set to play a big role for the Scorchers this season with Behrendorff sidelined. After experiencing injuries himself last season, he will be keen to get into it. Good left arm seamer who swings the ball nicely. Could be in a lot of teams come Round 1.

Jhye Richardson: Big season incoming for Jhye both domestically and potentially internationally if he can keep his body fit. Price is a concern, but his ability is unquestioned. Swings the ball around at good pace and bounce.

Verdict: Strongly Consider/Risk (if selected for ODI/Tests)

Ashton Turner: One of my favourite domestic cricketers to watch in the BBL. As a SuperCoach, not so much. Bat yourself 4 for the love of Stoinis! If he bats high in this Scorchers lineup, he will simply be one of the top sole batsman options in the competition, no risk. If he manages to bowl himself consistently, he will become a must have for every team.

Andrew Tye: The guy that many last season would have been cursing, but I was loving it when I picked him up at a discount price last season. Has the potential to go huge with his role of bowling the death overs, but also the capacity to go the distance. His price is very juicy for the output that he can give, so seriously consider starting him.

Sam Whiteman: Always liked the guy’s intent at the crease, just never appreciated his shot selection. One guy who on paper looks like he can give you bang for your buck, but with some of the other keepers available, I’d avoid this guy.