Discussion BBL|09 SuperCoach BBL In Game Discussion

AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all. Thought I’d do my analysis on my knowledge of every player in the current BBL squads. This is more of a general overview for those guys who aren’t as familiar with cricket and need a helping hand. This doesn’t take into account Bye/Double rounds as of yet so there’s likely to be plenty of adjusting to come.

There are 5 categories I’ve placed players into. I hope its not too confusing but I’ve provided an explanation of each below:

Strongly Consider: In the ‘keeper’ category. Should score strongly as they are in a position where competition for their position is low and/or are a key player for their franchise.

Underrated/Value Buy: These guys are where the value lies. An allrounder that is now in a team where they feature heavily? GREAT! A player that was injured last season and is now performing like a keeper in the domestic competion? Even better. I hope there’ll be a few of these that I can scout for you all.

Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit: These players fall into the category of risk. These guys are the ones who are now either past it and/or potentially have gone to franchises where conditions or playing XI’s will affect their output.

Cheapie: This one is obvious and a word that is synonymous with SuperCoach. You need a handful of strong cheapies to start your season, or you fall behind very quickly.

Pass: These players are generally not SuperCoach friendly and as a rule I strike them out and am not phased by the flash in a pan performances that can happen.

Note: These will be subject to change as new players are added and fixtures/byes/prices are known which will potentially swing my ‘Verdict’.

Adelaide Strikers:

Wes Agar BWL $84,200: Right arm Fast Medium. More of a support bowler in the Strikers lineup, was used sporadically throughout BBL08. As a fantasy bowler, he could be useful if his price is below 80K, but realistically he won’t be a strong cash cow.

Verdict = Pass

Alex Carey WKP/BAT $139,800: Obviously one of the premier Keeper Batsmen in the competition. Had a bit of a nightmare during last season, but given his recent WC performances could very well ‘boss’ the domestic competition coming up. We all know how destructive he is when on top of his game, and hopefully he can showcase this without his running woes that he shared with opening partner Jake Weatherald.

Verdict = Strongly Consider

Travis Head BAT/BWL $195,100: As good as he has been in the past in the shortest format, we know with test selection it could make selecting him in our squads a risk. A good draw could swing him to a strongly consider, but given the unknowns currently its best he slots into the Risk category for now.

Verdict: Risk/ Consider if Fixtures Suit

Rashid Khan BWL $203,300: Huge player the past two seasons, realistically has another big role to play for the strikers again this season being the frontline spinner and potential pinch hitter. Its hard to say no to the Afghani given how quickly he can change a game (and his fantasy total). Will be one of the first keepers I bring into my squad assuming there aren’t 5 must have bowler cheapies.

Verdict: Strongly Consider

Ben Laughlin BWL $107,300: Has been a quality player in the past, but I genuinely think he’s in his last season this time round and will likely be phased out of the Strikers team if anyone even half decent comes along. Does bowl at the death which is gold for SuperCoach points (wickets) but last season he looked down on pace and accuracy.

Verdict: Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit

Jake Lehmann BAT $62,500: Had a role change last season which piqued my interest, but given the lateness with which this change occurred, it made it hard to consider him seriously. If he were to bat at 3 more consistently with the security of knowing he was there each week, he’s one to consider as a batsman cheapie. If not, then he’s back to the scrap pile.

Verdict: Risk

Michael Neser BAT/BWL $131,900: Useful allrounder and plays a good role for the Strikers. Bowls up front and occasionally at the death if things are going well for him. Generally though, he bowls 2 overs at the beginning and 2 in the middle. Bats at that awkward position at 7 which makes it hard for us to say with confidence he will get a bat each match, but enough to tempt us into selecting him. Watch his price, if it dips below 120K, then he might be a solid buy (presuming no other allrounders tempt you).

Liam O’Connor BWL $91,700: A right-arm leggie with an unorthodox action who had a decent amount of success given who his counterpart in the team was. Has the advantage of guys trying to go after him as they struggle to take on Rashid and does tend to take a wicket most games. However, his place in the team isn’t always assured given the changing conditions/grounds.

Phil Salt BAT $125,00: New overseas player joining the BBL. Still quite young and is developing his game. Most recent footage I've seen of him has him using a trigger movement, which allows him to access the o***ide more easily. The trouble with these types of movements, are they can get you in trouble when the ball starts to leap off a length more (like it does in Australia). Expect him to do well on wickets like the SCG, Marvel, MCG and Adelaide. Will likely struggle at Optus, GABBA and Hobart where the pitches have a bit more pace about them. You'd hope that Salt will be priced fairly low (something like Mujeeb's price last season) and we will have a value overseas pick again this season.

Verdict: Risk (if priced above 90K), Value (if priced below 75K).

Matt Short BAT $73,800: A batsman who hasn’t really lit the BBL on fire apart from 1-2 innings. You’d have to think the arrival of Cameron White puts him under severe pressure to perform or potentially puts him out of the team altogether for the start of the competition. Has bowled at times with his off-spin, so if picked he has a decent amount of upside. Realistically though, he isn’t going to be a cheapie, nor an upper echelon player this season.

Verdict: Pass

Peter Siddle BWL $130,400: Has been pretty solid when it comes to BBL. Does a good holding job for the Strikers and picks up the odd wicket. Doesn’t really get to bat very often given how low he is in the order. There’s potentially a lot of shuffling for the bowlers at the Strikers with about 7-8 in their squad, so Siddle could easily miss a game or two throughout the campaign.

Billy Stanlake BWL $108,300: I love watching this guy bowl, but jeez he has the potential to go for some runs. Generally struggles on wickets that offer little to nothing in terms of bounce and pace. Rely on him to take a 3-4 fa at least once this season, but don’t be surprised if goes for 40+ the next game.

Cameron Valente BWL $95,800: This is a guy I watched throughout the JLT cup last season and thought he was going to burst onto the BBL scene in a similar way. As previously mentioned though, the Strikers rotation ruined his ability to be a great cheapie for us. Now will likely be awkwardly priced going into the season, so he is a risk, but potentially presents value if given the right role. I lean towards risk pick here, only because he is an allrounder that potentially has the bowler only tag. Will be changed to value pick if he ends up with dual position.

Jake Weatherald BAT $108,900: Poor last season by his standards and will be out to impress this season with a T/20 WC around the corner. Tends to be a ball magnet in the field and gets those important catch points here and there. Has dropped a lot in price on last year’s starting price so I believe he presents some value for us.

Verdict: Value Buy

Jon Wells BAT $115,500: Great little player, very classy in amongst the power-hitters in this format. Has shown he can score at a very fast rate wherever he bats in the order. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t play for the Thunder, as he’d likely be their no.3-4 which would be perfect for SuperCoach purposes. His awkward price (between 100-120K) will make it tough to justify his selection, especially if he doesn’t bat in the top 4.

Cameron White BAT $77,200: A big move for the Bear this season, which I think will be a fruitful one for the Strikers. Should slot in nicely at 3-4 in their team, which is what they’ve been missing a little bit when Head is not in the team. At under 90K, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of people picking up White this season.

Verdict: Underrated/Value Buy

Nick Winter BWL $42,000: Great left arm quick who is able to swing it around. No opportunities last season, and it looks bleak for him given the squad the Strikers are building. Watch for Round 1 teams to see whether he is being considered.

Verdict: Risk (Cheapie if selected Round 1)

If there's any other information you'd appreciate for any player, please feel free to ask below. I will try and add the other teams as I find time.

AFL Club
Collingwood
@7/11

since you have your finger on the pulse , what is the situation with the Sixers and that they only have 1 spot left ?

Hazlewood , Lyon , Smith & Starc can't all fit.

Must be the only T20 domestic league in the world that doesn't "encourage" our best players to actually play as much as possible.

Suspect Goat will take the last spot , does that mean Smith could be heading to the Stars ?

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi all. Thought I’d do my analysis on my knowledge of every player in the current BBL squads. This is more of a general overview for those guys who aren’t as familiar with cricket and need a helping hand. This doesn’t take into account Bye/Double rounds as of yet so there’s likely to be plenty of adjusting to come.

There are 5 categories I’ve placed players into. I hope its not too confusing but I’ve provided an explanation of each below:

Strongly Consider: In the ‘keeper’ category. Should score strongly as they are in a position where competition for their position is low and/or are a key player for their franchise.

Underrated/Value Buy: These guys are where the value lies. An allrounder that is now in a team where they feature heavily? GREAT! A player that was injured last season and is now performing like a keeper in the domestic competion? Even better. I hope there’ll be a few of these that I can scout for you all.

Risk/Consider if Fixtures Suit: These players fall into the category of risk. These guys are the ones who are now either past it and/or potentially have gone to franchises where conditions or playing XI’s will affect their output.

Cheapie: This one is obvious and a word that is synonymous with SuperCoach. You need a handful of strong cheapies to start your season, or you fall behind very quickly.

Pass: These players are generally not SuperCoach friendly and as a rule I strike them out and am not phased by the flash in a pan performances that can happen.

Note: These will be subject to change as new players are added and fixtures/byes/prices are known which will potentially swing my ‘Verdict’.

Adelaide Strikers:

Wes Agar: Right arm Fast Medium. More of a support bowler in the Strikers lineup, was used sporadically throughout BBL08. As a fantasy bowler, he could be useful if his price is below 80K, but realistically he won’t be a strong cash cow.

Verdict = Pass

Alex Carey: Obviously one of the premier Keeper Batsmen in the competition. Had a bit of a nightmare during last season, but given his recent WC performances could very well ‘boss’ the domestic competition coming up. We all know how destructive he is when on top of his game, and hopefully he can showcase this without his running woes that he shared with opening partner Jake Weatherald.

Travis Head: As good as he has been in the past in the shortest format, we know with test selection it could make selecting him in our squads a risk. A good draw could swing him to a strongly consider, but given the unknowns currently its best he slots into the Risk category for now.

Rashid Khan: Huge player the past two seasons, realistically has another big role to play for the strikers again this season being the frontline spinner and potential pinch hitter. Its hard to say no to the Afghani given how quickly he can change a game (and his fantasy total). Will be one of the first keepers I bring into my squad assuming there aren’t 5 must have bowler cheapies.

Ben Laughlin: Has been a quality player in the past, but I genuinely think he’s in his last season this time round and will likely be phased out of the Strikers team if anyone even half decent comes along. Does bowl at the death which is gold for SuperCoach points (wickets) but last season he looked down on pace and accuracy.

Jake Lehmann: Had a role change last season which piqued my interest, but given the lateness with which this change occurred, it made it hard to consider him seriously. If he were to bat at 3 more consistently with the security of knowing he was there each week, he’s one to consider as a batsman cheapie. If not, then he’s back to the scrap pile.

Michael Neser: Useful allrounder and plays a good role for the Strikers. Bowls up front and occasionally at the death if things are going well for him. Generally though, he bowls 2 overs at the beginning and 2 in the middle. Bats at that awkward position at 7 which makes it hard for us to say with confidence he will get a bat each match, but enough to tempt us into selecting him. Watch his price, if it dips below 120K, then he might be a solid buy (presuming no other allrounders tempt you).

Liam O’Connor: A right-arm leggie with an unorthodox action who had a decent amount of success given who his counterpart in the team was. Has the advantage of guys trying to go after him as they struggle to take on Rashid and does tend to take a wicket most games. However, his place in the team isn’t always assured given the changing conditions/grounds.

Matt Short: A batsman who hasn’t really lit the BBL on fire apart from 1-2 innings. You’d have to think the arrival of Cameron White puts him under severe pressure to perform or potentially puts him out of the team altogether for the start of the competition. Has bowled at times with his off-spin, so if picked he has a decent amount of upside. Realistically though, he isn’t going to be a cheapie, nor an upper echelon player this season.

Peter Siddle: Has been pretty solid when it comes to BBL. Does a good holding job for the Strikers and picks up the odd wicket. Doesn’t really get to bat very often given how low he is in the order. There’s potentially a lot of shuffling for the bowlers at the Strikers with about 7-8 in their squad, so Siddle could easily miss a game or two throughout the campaign.

Billy Stanlake: I love watching this guy bowl, but jeez he has the potential to go for some runs. Generally struggles on wickets that offer little to nothing in terms of bounce and pace. Rely on him to take a 3-4 fa at least once this season, but don’t be surprised if goes for 40+ the next game.

Cameron Valente: This is a guy I watched throughout the JLT cup last season and thought he was going to burst onto the BBL scene in a similar way. As previously mentioned though, the Strikers rotation ruined his ability to be a great cheapie for us. Now will likely be awkwardly priced going into the season, so he is a risk, but potentially presents value if given the right role. I lean towards risk pick here, only because he is an allrounder that potentially has the bowler only tag. Will be changed to value pick if he ends up with dual position.

Jake Weatherald: Poor last season by his standards and will be out to impress this season with a T/20 WC around the corner. Tends to be a ball magnet in the field and gets those important catch points here and there. Has dropped a lot in price on last year’s starting price so I believe he presents some value for us.

Jon Wells: Great little player, very classy in amongst the power-hitters in this format. Has shown he can score at a very fast rate wherever he bats in the order. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t play for the Thunder, as he’d likely be their no.3-4 which would be perfect for SuperCoach purposes. His awkward price (between 100-120K) will make it tough to justify his selection, especially if he doesn’t bat in the top 4.

Cameron White: A big move for the Bear this season, which I think will be a fruitful one for the Strikers. Should slot in nicely at 3-4 in their team, which is what they’ve been missing a little bit when Head is not in the team. At under 90K, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of people picking up White this season.

Nick Winter: Great left arm quick who is able to swing it around. No opportunities last season, and it looks bleak for him given the squad the Strikers are building. Watch for Round 1 teams to see whether he is being considered.

If there's any other information you'd appreciate for any player, please feel free to ask below. I will try and add the other teams as I find time.
For anyone wanting to predict starting prices for players, last year the magic number was around 2707 to multiply their season avg by to approximately receive their price but players involved in the test squad received surcharges/weren't priced based on avg.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood

Adelaide Strikers:

Wes Agar: Right arm Fast Medium. More of a support bowler in the Strikers lineup, was used sporadically throughout BBL08. As a fantasy bowler, he could be useful if his price is below 80K, but realistically he won’t be a strong cash cow.

Verdict = Pass

Alex Carey: Obviously one of the premier Keeper Batsmen in the competition. Had a bit of a nightmare during last season, but given his recent WC performances could very well ‘boss’ the domestic competition coming up. We all know how destructive he is when on top of his game, and hopefully he can showcase this without his running woes that he shared with opening partner Jake Weatherald.

Travis Head: As good as he has been in the past in the shortest format, we know with test selection it could make selecting him in our squads a risk. A good draw could swing him to a strongly consider, but given the unknowns currently its best he slots into the Risk category for now.

Rashid Khan: Huge player the past two seasons, realistically has another big role to play for the strikers again this season being the frontline spinner and potential pinch hitter. Its hard to say no to the Afghani given how quickly he can change a game (and his fantasy total). Will be one of the first keepers I bring into my squad assuming there aren’t 5 must have bowler cheapies.

Ben Laughlin: Has been a quality player in the past, but I genuinely think he’s in his last season this time round and will likely be phased out of the Strikers team if anyone even half decent comes along. Does bowl at the death which is gold for SuperCoach points (wickets) but last season he looked down on pace and accuracy.

Jake Lehmann: Had a role change last season which piqued my interest, but given the lateness with which this change occurred, it made it hard to consider him seriously. If he were to bat at 3 more consistently with the security of knowing he was there each week, he’s one to consider as a batsman cheapie. If not, then he’s back to the scrap pile.

Michael Neser: Useful allrounder and plays a good role for the Strikers. Bowls up front and occasionally at the death if things are going well for him. Generally though, he bowls 2 overs at the beginning and 2 in the middle. Bats at that awkward position at 7 which makes it hard for us to say with confidence he will get a bat each match, but enough to tempt us into selecting him. Watch his price, if it dips below 120K, then he might be a solid buy (presuming no other allrounders tempt you).

Liam O’Connor: A right-arm leggie with an unorthodox action who had a decent amount of success given who his counterpart in the team was. Has the advantage of guys trying to go after him as they struggle to take on Rashid and does tend to take a wicket most games. However, his place in the team isn’t always assured given the changing conditions/grounds.

Matt Short: A batsman who hasn’t really lit the BBL on fire apart from 1-2 innings. You’d have to think the arrival of Cameron White puts him under severe pressure to perform or potentially puts him out of the team altogether for the start of the competition. Has bowled at times with his off-spin, so if picked he has a decent amount of upside. Realistically though, he isn’t going to be a cheapie, nor an upper echelon player this season.

Peter Siddle: Has been pretty solid when it comes to BBL. Does a good holding job for the Strikers and picks up the odd wicket. Doesn’t really get to bat very often given how low he is in the order. There’s potentially a lot of shuffling for the bowlers at the Strikers with about 7-8 in their squad, so Siddle could easily miss a game or two throughout the campaign.

Billy Stanlake: I love watching this guy bowl, but jeez he has the potential to go for some runs. Generally struggles on wickets that offer little to nothing in terms of bounce and pace. Rely on him to take a 3-4 fa at least once this season, but don’t be surprised if goes for 40+ the next game.

Cameron Valente: This is a guy I watched throughout the JLT cup last season and thought he was going to burst onto the BBL scene in a similar way. As previously mentioned though, the Strikers rotation ruined his ability to be a great cheapie for us. Now will likely be awkwardly priced going into the season, so he is a risk, but potentially presents value if given the right role. I lean towards risk pick here, only because he is an allrounder that potentially has the bowler only tag. Will be changed to value pick if he ends up with dual position.

Jake Weatherald: Poor last season by his standards and will be out to impress this season with a T/20 WC around the corner. Tends to be a ball magnet in the field and gets those important catch points here and there. Has dropped a lot in price on last year’s starting price so I believe he presents some value for us.

Jon Wells: Great little player, very classy in amongst the power-hitters in this format. Has shown he can score at a very fast rate wherever he bats in the order. It’s unfortunate he doesn’t play for the Thunder, as he’d likely be their no.3-4 which would be perfect for SuperCoach purposes. His awkward price (between 100-120K) will make it tough to justify his selection, especially if he doesn’t bat in the top 4.

Cameron White: A big move for the Bear this season, which I think will be a fruitful one for the Strikers. Should slot in nicely at 3-4 in their team, which is what they’ve been missing a little bit when Head is not in the team. At under 90K, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of people picking up White this season.

Nick Winter: Great left arm quick who is able to swing it around. No opportunities last season, and it looks bleak for him given the squad the Strikers are building. Watch for Round 1 teams to see whether he is being considered.

Fantastic insight , I am particularly interested in your thoughts on Philip Salt and assuming they are all available where do Carey , Weatherald , Salt & Head fit in the order ?

Head will need Shield runs to get back into the Test side , Carey will go to India for the ODI.

Suspect Wells is a lock , so would leave Lehmann , Short & White battling for 1 spot when everyone is available.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For anyone wanting to predict prices for players, last year the magic number was around 2707 to multiply their season avg by to approximately receive their price but players involved in the test squad received surcharges/weren't priced based on avg.
Haven't attempted to do predicted BE's /price changes yet for this format yet but am probably going to give it a go this year ... have a fair idea of the formula required

AFL Club
Collingwood
@7/11

great concept , if I have added up the players correctly Strikers & Renegades currently have full squads.

Brisbane Heat - 3 spots to fill
Hobart Hurricanes - 6 spots to fill
Melbourne Stars - 4
Perth Scorchers - 2
Sydney Sixers - 1 (suspect Goat)
Sydney Thunder - 4 (Warner probably + 3 leftover Sixers)

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
@7/11

great concept , if I have added up the players correctly Strikers & Renegades currently have full squads.

Brisbane Heat - 2 spots to fill
Hobart Hurricanes - 6 spots to fill
Melbourne Stars - 4
Perth Scorchers - 2
Sydney Sixers - 1 (suspect Goat)
Sydney Thunder - 4 (Cummins , Khawaja , Warner probably)
I must have missed two BRI signings ... all others line up so far ...

AFL Club
Collingwood
I must have missed two BRI signings ... all others line up so far ...
Mujeeb & his friend Zakir Khan yesterday , although Boof has said they will share games which confuses me.

oops me bad , that makes 15 , 3 spots to fill

AFL Club
Sydney
@7/11

since you have your finger on the pulse , what is the situation with the Sixers and that they only have 1 spot left ?

Hazlewood , Lyon , Smith & Starc can't all fit.

Must be the only T20 domestic league in the world that doesn't "encourage" our best players to actually play as much as possible.

Suspect Goat will take the last spot , does that mean Smith could be heading to the Stars ?
Potentially means that the Thunder might pick up 1-2 of the test bowlers, considering they've picked just the 3 seamers from what I can see on the Cricket Australia website.

I think the Sixers are also leaving it as late as possible to pick up one of the 4 you mentioned as well. If we hear anything about Alyssa Healy's position in the BBL, that could also indicate Starc's potential franchise as well I'd say.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Potentially means that the Thunder might pick up 1-2 of the test bowlers, considering they've picked just the 3 seamers from what I can see on the Cricket Australia website.

I think the Sixers are also leaving it as late as possible to pick up one of the 4 you mentioned as well. If we hear anything about Alyssa Healy's position in the BBL, that could also indicate Starc's potential franchise as well I'd say.
The season is about to start hahaha , can't you send your mate Henriques a message and see what is going on ? ?

You would certainly hope that the 4 of them will play for someone.

Might make sense if Hazlewood goes to the Thunder then.

oops Cummins is already signed + Sams , Sandhu & Morris with their spinners.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
Fantastic insight , I am particularly interested in your thoughts on Philip Salt and assuming they are all available where do Carey , Weatherald , Salt & Head fit in the order ?

Head will need Shield runs to get back into the Test side , Carey will go to India for the ODI.

Suspect Wells is a lock , so would leave Lehmann , Short & White battling for 1 spot when everyone is available.
Before you posted about him joining the BBL, I actually had zero idea of who he was, which is unusual for me as I follow County Cricket semi regularly.

The very little footage that I've seen thus far, he looks a very accomplished player against guys that bowl 135k's or lower. Would be interested in seeing how he plays guys that can ramp it up in speed as he has a trigger movement that pushes him onto his front foot for off side play. This generally works against bowlers that aren't quite as quick, as you can leap into deliveries that are a bit shorter, but he could run into a bit of trouble should he face a Cummins or Archer who decides to pound it into the wicket. Suspect he'll bat 4-5 in the Strikers lineup based on the fact he hits weird areas (this is a good thing for casual cricket fans) and has the capacity to clear the fence. Hard to see him opening with Weatherald and Carey there.

Very interested to see his price. Anything above 90K and I'm likely to ignore him, but anything below 75K and he's potentially a steal (pending availability).

EDIT: Will add him into the list now.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Before you posted about him joining the BBL, I actually had zero idea of who he was, which is unusual for me as I follow County Cricket semi regularly.

The very little footage that I've seen thus far, he looks a very accomplished player against guys that bowl 135k's or lower. Would be interested in seeing how he plays guys that can ramp it up in speed as he has a trigger movement that pushes him onto his front foot for off side play. This generally works against bowlers that aren't quite as quick, as you can leap into deliveries that are a bit shorter, but he could run into a bit of trouble should he face a Cummins or Archer who decides to pound it into the wicket. Suspect he'll bat 4-5 in the Strikers lineup based on the fact he hits weird areas (this is a good thing for casual cricket fans) and has the capacity to clear the fence. Hard to see him opening with Weatherald and Carey there.

Very interested to see his price. Anything above 90K and I'm likely to ignore him, but anything below 75K and he's potentially a steal (pending availability).
Never heard of him at all to be honest , my friend is Google and Wikipedia ?.

Apparently can bowl a bit and keep wicket as well.

Dizzy obviously rates him.

Played Grade cricket in Adelaide last season as well.

Can't see them breaking up Carey & Weatherald up top and Head will be at 3 , so have 5 options for the other 3 teams.

Hasn't played International Cricket yet so we might get him for $ 65,000.00

Archer will be in South Africa all Big Bash , so he won't be a issue.

AFL Club
Sydney
Never heard of him at all to be honest , my friend is Google and Wikipedia ?.

Apparently can bowl a bit and keep wicket as well.

Dizzy obviously rates him.

Played Grade cricket in Adelaide last season as well.

Can't see them breaking up Carey & Weatherald up top and Head will be at 3 , so have 5 options for the other 3 teams.

Hasn't played International Cricket yet so we might get him for $ 65,000.00

Archer will be in South Africa all Big Bash , so he won't be a issue.
Just gone through his stats. He played in the Sydney Grade comp 3 years ago and the Adelaide comp 2 years ago. His numbers in the Sydney comp were not very encouraging and the Adelaide stats are not much better. I ignored grade stats idiotically last season when it came to Qadir, so I'm thinking Salt might be a good one to pass on as he won't present the value/cash cow potential that other rookies will.

EDIT: Recent T/20 statistics in his domestic comp. 7 innings, 1 score of over 30 (72) and 2 other scores over 20. Pretty awful considering how much weaker the County T/20 competition is. Really could be the trap cheapie of this season.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just gone through his stats. He played in the Sydney Grade comp 3 years ago and the Adelaide comp 2 years ago. His numbers in the Sydney comp were not very encouraging and the Adelaide stats are not much better. I ignored grade stats idiotically last season when it came to Qadir, so I'm thinking Salt might be a good one to pass on as he won't present the value/cash cow potential that other rookies will.
I had Qadir earmarked for Australian selection so certainly way off the mark as well.

Hard to workout a starting team at the moment without squads finalised and starting prices but keen to see starting prices for Finch , Head , Lynn , Marsh x 2 initially.

AFL Club
Sydney
Brisbane Heat

Max Bryant BAT $129,500: Had a good debut season last year and will be looking to build on it again this BBL. Has the game where he could potentially be in the top 10 batsmen for the BBL, but just needs to find a way to bat time. Without McCullum in the team, he could potentially look to be the enforcer which might see him hole out more often or play overly aggressive strokes. I feel like he will have improved his game over the winter and we will see some good knocks from him in the Domestic OD comp over the next month.

Verdict: Value/Underrated.

Joe Burns BAT $62,500: Given the lack of opportunities that Burns received last season (and the lack of points to go with it), you’d be happy to pass him over when selecting your initial squad. However, with no McCullum and Cutting being hit and miss in the opener position, there is potential Burns may start at the top for the Heat this season. One to watch for mine, as he is accomplished against the new ball and will be looking to pile on the runs after his Ashes selection snub.

Verdict: Value (if selected at top of order) or Risk (if selected for Tests)

Ben Cutting BAT/BWL $182,900: This man is the bane of my BBL SuperCoach existence. Whenever he isn’t in my squad or starting lineup, he goes large. Whenever I have him scoring for me, he drops catches onto his face. The man tempts me every season and will undoubtedly do so again considering how well he was hitting the ball in a recent grade match. The man is an excitement magnet whether he is on the right side of the action or not. Choose at your own risk, but the payoff is massive if he goes well with either bat or ball.

Zahir Khan BWL $169,000: Don't know enough about this fella as of yet, so will reserve judgement until I've done a little more research.

Verdict: To Be Decided

Sam Heazlett BAT $62,500: The type of player you like to have in your team, but seems to be out of position at the Heat, so his full effectiveness is never witnessed. With the batting stocks still at the Heat, it’s a possibility he will continue to bat 5-6 or miss out altogether. There’s too many variables for me to select him as a serious option unless he has some seriously good one-day form over the next month.

Marnus Labuschagne BAT/BWL $62,500: The recent test batting sensation is yet to make a mark on the T/20 game, but with the improved confidence there’s every chance he could translate this into some BBL form. With just the one match last season he will present some great value in the games he does play, but unfortunately test selection will likely curb our chances at a quality cheapie batsman.

Verdict: Cheapie

Josh Lalor BWL $201,900: Was the 2nd highest scoring player in the Heat lineup and had the best average to boot. However, he is highly dependent on wickets (500 points out of 772) so if the wickets dry up for him, his 180K+ price tag is looking like a trap. Does however bowl at the death and his being a left hander does help him somewhat.

Verdict: Risk (Personally would say Pass, but his role was fairly consistent last season so don’t want people to be lead astray)

Chris Lynn BAT $173,000: Once the BBL stud of the competition, but last season really derailed his status and price. Given the dramatic drop, we should be watching his one-day form (assuming he is selected). Personally, I think he presents a lot of value and will likely be in my starting team (along with many thousand other coaches). If he is fit and firing, there’s no other specialist batsman in the competition that can outdo him (D.Short the only one but Bat/Bowl Status).

Verdict: Value

James Pattinson BWL $126,600: One of my favourite bowlers to watch despite him being a Victorian (cue the boos). An excitement machine with the new ball and a pretty handy batsman when required. Awkwardly priced at just over 100K at the end of last season presents a couple of issues, but he could well be worth the punt if fixtures place him on wickets where there’s a bit more pace and bounce (i.e. Optus, Gabba and Hobart). Test selection also a factor, so keep an eye on this.

Verdict: Risk (if selected for tests) Value (if snubbed for tests)

James Peirson WKP/BAT $62,500: An unusual player in the BBL. Has been around a few seasons but apart from the odd score has never really stamped his mark on the competition. Should be in the team for the season without another keeper in the squad (currently!), but his scoring history suggests we should look elsewhere in the keeper department.

Verdict: Treat as a Cheapie or Pass on him in my opinion.

Jack Prestwidge BWL $75,400: An interesting player who debuted last season, but didn’t have a huge impact in the half dozen games he played. Probably fair to say he isn’t a quality SuperCoach player, but obviously has enough talent to do a role for the Heat.

Matt Renshaw BAT $136,500: Was a bit of an enigma when he started to open the bowling with his genuine puss off-spin (I have no regrets saying this). I have absolutely no doubt the Heat will try this filth tactic again, but believe that teams will be wise to it this season and make them regret it. His batting seemed to be more expansive towards the end which was great to see, but it has put him in a really tough place price wise.

Verdict: Risk/Pass (if he doesn’t bowl)

Mark Steketee BWL $81,600: Interested to see what his pricing is like this season, but not confident in his being selected consistently in the Heat squad after only playing 2 games last season. He’s a steady bowler who usually opens but hasn’t got any qualities that make him an effective T/20 bowler. Unlikely to get much of a discount as he played games as well, meaning his price will likely hover above the 100K mark.

Mitch Swepson BWL $98,500: A quality leg spinner, but hasn’t really made the impact that has been expected of him recently. That said, given the success of spinners in the BBL, he isn’t a terrible option if you don’t like Cam Boyce, Rashid, Mujeeb or Qais Ahmed at their prices (I assume all above 110K). Would probably gamble on rookies though, rather than a 90K bowler that may not appreciate much in price.

Mujeeb Ur Rahman BWL $158,200: Was a solid performer last season as a youngster, and we should expect to see more of the same from the orthodox bowler. His role seems to change a lot in terms of when he bowls, and the earlier doesn't always mean the better for him. His price did inflate after a few great games near the end of the season so he is a risk but he should be fairly consistent with good economy rate and the consistent 1-2 fa's.

Verdict: Risk (Lower risk than most, consider if other options are poor)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynn was originally not going to take part in the Marsh 1 day cup and play in the APL (subsequently cancelled) and the T10 in the UAE.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players I'll be heavily considering from the above team previews:
Adel- A Carey, T Head, R Khan, P Salt, B Laughlin, C White
Bris- M Bryant, J Burns, C Lynn, F Khan, M Ur-Rahman

AFL Club
Collingwood
@Goodie's Guns @7/11

any truth in the whispers that Scorchers are signing Tom Banton ?

Faf is captaining the Test side against India so looks like he is not retiring , surely this season they sign 2 OS batsmen given who they have lost & their fast bowling strength even with Behrendorff out.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Steyn at the Stars has gone quiet as well , the media might get one of these big South African signings right one of these days.

I suspect all the Windies "guns for hire" are all heading to Bangladesh again.