Discussion Finals Week 1: Teams & In Game Discussion

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Brodie Mihocek's goal 45m out, 5m from the boundary line on his non preferred left foot was the number 1 highlight of the game for me.

Eagles had all the momentum that final quarter to steal the game back. It was an outstanding goal, as well as De Goeys a bit later.

Last edited:

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brodie Mihocek's goal 45m out, 5m from the boundary line on his non preferred left foot was the number 1 highlight of the game for me.

Eagles had all the momentum that final quarter to steal the game back It was an outstanding goal, as well as De Goeys a bit later.
I actually said out loud to all my mates* “what a goal!” at that moment.

* There were no mates.

AFL Club
Essendon
3/4 teams that lost had more scoring shots, with the exception of Richmond. Some of that has to do with where the shots were taken (ie Port forcing at least 50% of Hawkins shots from out wide - probs should have kicked at least one of his first three shots). Just reiterates that you need to take your chances. Those misses when you have the momentum are critical, especially in finals. So much importance given to game plans and sports science, when will conversion be given the attention it deserves more broadly in the AFL?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Awful result for the Eagles. After playing a "dirty Collingwood" they have to do another 14 days in isolation.

Great contest, great game to watch and hardly knew the umpires were present.

Were our jumpers or shorts or maybe our boots dirty KLo30 ???? when you say " dirty "

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurts to write this, will done pies. Took your chances when is mattered. Eagles just couldn't land that killer blow. Bloody good game tho, actually all the games so far have been.

Of course in my circle of mates there is only 1 bloke who isn't an eagles supporter and he goes for the pies. He's pretty chirpy today.

AFL Club
West Coast
It is actually hard to work out how West Coast lost. They were dominant in the middle with Nic Nat. Grundy was terrible for most of the game. Clearly Buckley thought so too (don’t give me that rot about sharing the load with Cameron). Collingwood mids were outstanding which equalised that a bit but the WC mids were pretty good as well. Darling was great and JK did more than enough and all the WC defenders had their moments of dominance as usual.

I think it comes down to Collingwood were able to create just enough chances with their quick play to kick a winning score and they took those chances. WC did too but just weren’t able to take enough of them to get over the line.
I think the SuperCoach scores tell a good story. WCE forwards and Defender were dominant as was NN, Collingwood mids we dominant. Mihocek and Cox were good, not as telling as Darling and Kennedy. However, with their chances they scored 6.0 vs 6.6. Our mids were outgunned.

Personally, Eagles need Hutchings to play who can tag the opposing best mid to go closer to breakeven in the mids where there weakest. Really missed Yeo in the centre on contested game.

Not sure why some thing Pies cannot go further. When a Pies mate was talking about how bad they were at one stage, reminded him they had a lot of injuries. Have a cracking defence and mids and usually a good ruck. Forwards is whether they can be let down. Eagles took a while to react to Cox dominance early, once they did, had 3 possessions in 3.5 quarters. Mihocek is a hero in my view, always loved his style.

On umpiring, thought it was average and missed many frees. There was the pies mark 35m out when Mcgovern spoiled late, that was mark any day of the week. Then the holding the ball decision which was given against Adams (I think). After I tallied it all up, had the Eagles winning by 3 points! :LOL:

Just don't go on about Mason Cox and how good he is. Had a poor year and has one good game per finals series. Take a Adams, JDG, Treloar, Crisps any day of the week over him who are consistent.