Finals Week 2: Teams and In Game Discussion

AFL Club
Collingwood
@Lost In The Sky

any word yet on why Rioli has been withdrawn from tomorrow's night game ?

EDIT

alledgedly tested positive to a ASADA illicit substance

Last edited:

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Not what we want to hear at all... Not many details apart from they are alleging he tampered with a urine sample... Not even sure how they know or how they can prove that but they obviously can. I always thought the testers stood there and watched them provide the sample.

A bit suspicious this comes out on the eve of our final though.

If he has done something wrong, which it looks like he might of... What a stupid stupid boy.

Important to note he has not returned a positive drug test.

Last edited:

Spots

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
West Coast
Not what we want to hear at all... Not many details apart from they are alleging he tampered with a urine sample... Not even sure how they know or how they can prove that but they obviously can. I always thought the testers stood there and watched them provide the sample.

A bit suspicious this comes out on the eve of our final though.

If he has done something wrong, which it looks like he might of... What a stupid stupid boy.

Important to note he has not returned a positive drug test.
Robbo tweet suggests his sample wasnt even urine!!! WTF

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I worked FIFO for close to 15 years and the amount of people that used synthetic urine to dodge positive tests is much, much higher than anyone would think. Its obviously not the same situation, but there are many ways to get around urine tests.

Without knowing the circumstances, id wager if hes tampered with a substance, this might be the avenue hes gone down. Wont be seeing him for quite a while if true id imagine.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Well that clears up how they would know he tampered with a sample if he provided them with lemon lime Gatorade or something.

Edit... Just found this from Richard Ings... Former CEO of ASADA... "This is normally a pretty easy case for an ADO to prove. For example, a quick DNA test of the collected urine sample gives a definitive answer if the urine belongs to the player or someone else."

Last edited:

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
I worked FIFO for close to 15 years and the amount of people that used synthetic urine to dodge positive tests is much, much higher than anyone would think. Its obviously not the same situation, but there are many ways to get around urine tests.

Without knowing the circumstances, id wager if hes tampered with a substance, this might be the avenue hes gone down. Wont be seeing him for quite a while if true id imagine.
That's interesting info.

Yeah you would say he's in big strife unfortunately.

AFL Club
Collingwood
drug and alcohol tester was just on the radio saying they use a "synthetic urine" in a small tube that they can hide up their Arm sleeve and then it "whizzes" out.

Test was the 20th August , 2019

West Coast holding a presser soon.

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's interesting info.

Yeah you would say he's in big strife unfortunately.
Just had a quick look and its maximum 4 year ban. Id imagine they'll throw the book at him if it comes out as true too.

Some of the synthetics people used were unreal hey, come with a heating pad to keep it at body temperature and all. The lengths people go to to cheat the system.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Just had a quick look and its maximum 4 year ban. Id imagine they'll throw the book at him if it comes out as true too.

Some of the synthetics people used were unreal hey, come with a heating pad to keep it at body temperature and all. The lengths people go to to cheat the system.
Have to wait and see what happens I guess , but hard to see him avoiding a 4 year ban I think. This will end his career.

Pretty gutted, He just didn't seem to be that type of guy, very much loved around the club and league.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Leigh Montagna making some very good points on AFL Tonight... Says he's done over 20 ASADA tests across his career and thinks it would be virtually impossible to cheat the sample... Says once ASADA turn up to the club and a player gets the tap on the shoulder which is random and the player has no knowledge of... The player is followed like a Hawk until they can provide a sample with it being very difficult to grab anything, then when providing the sample, the player has to drop his pants below his knees and pull his shirt up standing basically naked whilst he is watched as the sample is given.

Montagna says that nothing we know yet proves Rioli deliberately tried to cheat the system, and that there is a lot left to play out. He also questioned ASADA's process if Rioli was able to switch his sample somehow.

Edit - Found the official Testing Guide from ASADA...

"Once notified of selection for testing, the athlete must remain in direct observation of the DCO or Chaperone until the DCO is satisfied that the sample collection procedure is complete. Any attempt to evade notification may result in an anti‑doping rule violation and a ban from sport."

"The athlete is required to thoroughly wash and dry their hands before providing a urine sample. They are also required to remove any clothing from the knees to the mid-torso and from the hands to the elbows.

The athlete is responsible for controlling their sample and keeping it in view of the DCO or Chaperone until it is sealed in a sample collection kit"

Last edited:

Rumbler

AFL Club
West Coast
Horrible news to come home to a day before the match. This does not look good at all. I'm hoping it's all just a big misunderstanding but I'd imagine ASADA don't just accuse a player for the sake of it...they probably did find something...we don't know what exactly yet...and whether it was accidentally or intentionally taken.
I'm not gonna make any assumptions on Willie. Innocent until proven guilty should still stand but I don't like this news at all.
Hopefully he gets all the support he needs.

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have to wait and see what happens I guess , but hard to see him avoiding a 4 year ban I think. This will end his career.

Pretty gutted, He just didn't seem to be that type of guy, very much loved around the club and league.
4 years for what might equate to one poor choice is too much IMO, especially if it’s recreational.

I’d imagine the public humiliation is more than enough to make sure most offenders wouldn’t repeat.