Finals Week 2: Teams and In Game Discussion

BlueNwhiteHoops

AFL Club
Geelong
4 years for what might equate to one poor choice is too much IMO, especially if it’s recreational.

I’d imagine the public humiliation is more than enough to make sure most offenders wouldn’t repeat.
The problem is that some ''recreational'' drugs like coke & speed are performance enhancing and others are used to mask detection for different kinds of doping.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
4 years for what might equate to one poor choice is too much IMO, especially if it’s recreational.

I’d imagine the public humiliation is more than enough to make sure most offenders wouldn’t repeat.
Yes to me... 4 years for a moment of panic does seem too much.

I don't think it matters to ASADA what the genuine sample reveals, as it's the initial act of trying to avoid the test that is the crime... But I do reckon it's important to find out the results of the genuine sample.

I certainly hope it's not performance enhancing, It could be illicit, It could be some sort of weight loss supplement that is illegal under ASADA rules... we just don't know yet, It's all speculation. It's also well known Rioli has struggled with weight issues his whole career so that could be a possible explanation.

Need to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty, but unfortunately for Willie, a provisional ban automatically implies to the general public that he is guilty, even if he is eventually proven innocent.

This was an out of competition test, so if it was an illicit drug, He would have only received a slap on the wrist and no ban. There would have been no need for him to panic as ASADA does not analyse samples collected Outside Match Day (out of competition) for illicit drugs.

Either way he's been a very silly boy.

Worth noting that Lachie Whitfield in 2016 received a 6 month negotiated suspension from the AFL for evading Drug Testers. With GWS Officials Graeme Allan & Craig Lambert receiving 12 month suspensions for their part.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Well that was in interesting first quarter. Danger yet to fire a shot either.
We look terrible... can’t win this.

The home loss to Hawthorn in round 23 really made it hard, then yesterday’s events finished us off.

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ripper game that one, took a career game from Guthrie for the Cats to get it done though. If youd told me pre game that the Danger would have 15 touches and the cats win i would have called you insane.

Beg2Differ

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Any body have an idea what the longest WLWL... streak is if AFL/VFL?

BlueNwhiteHoops

AFL Club
Geelong
Well, we got the win.
Happy about that but if the Tiges bring their best game next week I don't think we can match em tbh. I just hope that we at least turn up and give ourselves a chance, no slow starting rubbish like we did against the Pies.

Tommy Stewart :love:

Rumbler

AFL Club
West Coast
Just got back from the game.
Horrible 1st quarter and absolutely **** last quarter...probably our worst of the year (only scored 1 point??? WTF!!) :mad::cry::cry::mad:
2nd and 3rd quarters we were great and came back into it.
But at the end of the day it's just so disappointing. Had high hopes for this season but it's ended in an anti-climatic way. Went from top 2 to finish 5th to being knocked out in the 2nd week of finals.
Gonna be an interesting off-season now...
Ah well gotta try move on :(

GrainFedBeef

400 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Leigh Montagna making some very good points on AFL Tonight... Says he's done over 20 ASADA tests across his career and thinks it would be virtually impossible to cheat the sample... Says once ASADA turn up to the club and a player gets the tap on the shoulder which is random and the player has no knowledge of... The player is followed like a Hawk until they can provide a sample with it being very difficult to grab anything, then when providing the sample, the player has to drop his pants below his knees and pull his shirt up standing basically naked whilst he is watched as the sample is given.

Montagna says that nothing we know yet proves Rioli deliberately tried to cheat the system, and that there is a lot left to play out. He also questioned ASADA's process if Rioli was able to switch his sample somehow.

Edit - Found the official Testing Guide from ASADA...

"Once notified of selection for testing, the athlete must remain in direct observation of the DCO or Chaperone until the DCO is satisfied that the sample collection procedure is complete. Any attempt to evade notification may result in an anti‑doping rule violation and a ban from sport."

"The athlete is required to thoroughly wash and dry their hands before providing a urine sample. They are also required to remove any clothing from the knees to the mid-torso and from the hands to the elbows.

The athlete is responsible for controlling their sample and keeping it in view of the DCO or Chaperone until it is sealed in a sample collection kit"
I think you will find this correct, that the ASADA person observed him do something, noted it and 3 weeks later lab analysis supports it. amazing the test is not sped up in this case.

Other sample showed up no drugs. sounds like he was evading something that was not actually banned but panicked.