Position Forward Discussion

Which players caught your eye after Marsh 1...?

• H Greenwood

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • D Parish

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • A Brayshaw

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • C Petracca

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • C Rozee

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • J Martin

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • C Wingard

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • B Acres

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • D Smith

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Geelong
As mentioned by @IDIG, he's the spiritual leader of the club. He embodies GWS's desire to win over being 'liked', which is all that really matters to them and probably should be all that really matters to any club worth their salt.
Disagree, if your club doesn't hold certain standards it will come full circle eventually.

In this day and age eye gouging is about the worst thing you can do on the footy field imo. The fact that that little weasel was allowed to get away with it again and again because GWS knew the AFL wanted them to push as far into finals as they could go is a bloody travesty.

AFL Club
West Coast
Disagree, if your club doesn't hold certain standards it will come full circle eventually.

In this day and age eye gouging is about the worst thing you can do on the footy field imo. The fact that that little weasel was allowed to get away with it again and again because GWS knew the AFL wanted them to push as far into finals as they could go is a bloody travesty.
You are referring to what I call the 'Barry Hall' principle.... when a player is critical to the fortunes of a club the AFL desperately wants to have success, be lenient..

On the Toby Greene thing though, it is a fine line isn't it.. Hodge will go down as one of the best leaders yet was far from being a saint

AFL Club
Essendon

Gold Coast probably have standards. Do they have winners? Nope.

The AFL needs these expansion clubs being competitive and not a drain on the purse. The AFL desperately needs players like Greene driving a successful winning culture at these clubs so the fans will continue to support them, releasing the financial burden back onto the people.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
You are referring to what I call the 'Barry Hall' principle.... when a player is critical to the fortunes of a club the AFL desperately wants to have success, be lenient..

On the Toby Greene thing though, it is a fine line isn't it.. Hodge will go down as one of the best leaders yet was far from being a saint
Yep. If Hodge wore orange and grey instead of yellow and brown he'd be looked on far differently in Victoria.

Hodge 'toes' the line whereas Greene crosses it.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I love Luke Hodge :love:

But he did a few silly things in his time :cautious:
-- Opinion incoming --
In my eyes, Hodge was an incredibly 'street-smart' footballer and the silly things he did often seened quite calculated, almost instinctual: just enough to rattle people, not enough for the book to be thrown, aimed at key opposition players at key moments in game.

Take the Swallow hit - the Roos (much lower placed and hunting a scalp) had come out hard and Hawthorn were flat; Swallow was doing the damage in the middle. Hodge drew a line for his team and they responded from then on and it was the Roos who were out of the contest from there.

Poor form, big result.

Jack Steven and Devon Smith.

I've been hearing some vastly differing opinions on these two.

Is it just a matter of taking a risk on the role they will play in 2020?
Fallen premos definitely worth a look. As mids, you might look at Steven but as forwards definitely at their starting price.
Like to think some calculated gambles can be comfortably done in fwd or Def. This will allow Gawndy and 5 premo mids.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Fallen premos definitely worth a look. As mids, you might look at Steven but as forwards definitely at their starting price.
Like to think some calculated gambles can be comfortably done in fwd or Def. This will allow Gawndy and 5 premo mids.
Devon Smith to me if fit is more of a lock in my team as I feel Geelong have more up and coming mids that can run through the middle supported by their older and more experienced guns.

Essendon don't seem to have that depth so I imagine Smith will get more of a run through there. I also think Smith plays that high HF role much better than Stevens who to me really needs to have more midfield minutes to get back to his higher SC scoring days.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it possable to not start Whitfield and get him for lot less and be better off thoughts
I hope so, I’m not planning on starting him.

I’m not sure I’d be expecting a really big price decline unless he suffers an injury, but I feel there are others that are more attractively priced versus their likely output and/or more reliable.

AFL Club
Collingwood

I’m not sure I’d be expecting a really big price decline unless he suffers an injury, but I feel there are others that are more attractively priced versus their likely output and/or more reliable.
I would be happy with 60k or around the mark .

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would be happy with 60k or around the mark .
I would say that is very possible, given it’s only a c. 12% price decline, and that fairly priced players will tend to fall c. 8% over the course of the season simply because the magic number (pricing ratio) declines.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it possable to not start Whitfield and get him for lot less and be better off thoughts

Take a closer look. There are some seriously good scores there with a couple of injury games bringing down his avg. He starts for me. There are strong arguments for him, dusty, heeney, TJL, Steven and Smith. ATM I'm starting 5/6, missing the last one.

AFL Club
Richmond
Take a closer look. There are some seriously good scores there with a couple of injury games bringing down his avg. He starts for me. There are strong arguments for him, dusty, heeney, TJL, Steven and Smith. ATM I'm starting 5/6, missing the last one.
It will be interesting to see what impact a fit midfield has on Whitfield

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Out of interest, is there a source you’re using to check on the injury games? AFL Tables indicates his TOG was slightly low in rounds 6 and 11, but not anywhere near enough to justify the very low scores.

I imagine he may have copped a knock or something early but tried to play through - there used to be a site that was great for this info, but it stopped updating about two years ago.