General Discussion

doc ron

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The last one is a bit unclear to me. :oops: How often will the umpire be uncertain of who is in the Ruck contest? I would assume every ball up. You would think the 2 tallest blokes in the immediate vicinity would contest the contest. Does it really matter who goes up as long as it is 1 from each team? In alot of the games i watched this year the ump virtually nominated them anyway. Just throw the bloody pill up straightaway, even if there are no ruckmen in sight and can the boundary umps just throw it in straightaway. Why do they to make a simple task of throwing a ball over their head all about them.

AFL Club
Collingwood
The last one is a bit unclear to me. :oops: How often will the umpire be uncertain of who is in the Ruck contest? I would assume every ball up. You would think the 2 tallest blokes in the immediate vicinity would contest the contest. Does it really matter who goes up as long as it is 1 from each team? In alot of the games i watched this year the ump virtually nominated them anyway. Just throw the bloody pill up straightaway, even if there are no ruckmen in sight and can the boundary umps just throw it in straightaway. Why do they to make a simple task of throwing a ball over their head all about them.
Wholeheartedly agree , don't wait , throw it up or throw in , if 1 from each team contest well and good , if 2 or more from one team , pay a free kick.

It is laughable and embarrassing watching the umpires look around waiting for nominations or like you said nominate the players themselves.

I want to see if both clubs don't nominate what will the umpires do ?

Move the game on as quickly as possible.

PS like the 6-6-6 starting positions for all centre bounces
PSS like that the defender can handball from a point and run out of the square without kicking to themselves (does that mean the foot on the line rule is now gone ?) , how far can they run before they have to bounce or dispose of the ball ?

PSS wish the kicking the ball backward was called played on

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is there a professional sport in the world that has so many rule changes year after year after year?
Probably not. Golf is going through massive rule changes as of January 1 and it is all about keeping players moving and reducing the amount of time spent on the course. Much needed.
I'm not a fan of change for the sake of it but if you watch a game from decades ago it has massively changed. It used to be pairs of players kicking it to pairs of players. Now it is zones and numbers at the ball and everyone on the ground can run a marathon. I like that the AFL is trying to keep the game flowing but it's a bit like building another road lane to ease congestion. It just encourages more drivers.
It would still be nice to see the odd fat belly pick up a brownlow vote.

doc ron

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there a professional sport in the world that has so many rule changes year after year after year?
I highly doubt it. We have a great game that seemed to survive more than a hundred years without much tinkering. Now the powers that be seem to like looking important and making changes for the sake of change more than logic. We use to have whole teams playing the entire game without rest. Now we have 4 interchange and seems to me more injuries :unsure:. Blokes have to nominate to do the job they're in the team for, umpires who seem to want to impose themselves on the game instead of just helping it flow as quickly as possible. Why does a rule change in its interpretation depending on where on the ground it is happening? Umpires don't seem to have much insight into what players intentions are and interpret the rules as they are written rather than what the rules were actually brought in for. I.E Why would any attacking player on a team trailing with not much time left want to deliberately kick the ball so that it goes out of bounds? Some of those deliberate out of bounds free kicks that are paid are absolutely laughable to anyone who has played the game competitively. Don't the umps think about logic when paying these frees? If a player is kicking the ball into the forward line when they have the opposition outnumbered why would they want it to go out of bounds? o.k rant over.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/72c73619437806ade49cdc173369bdf2

AFL 2019: Every club’s best 22 for the 2019 season following the trade period

………...here are the current best 22s for every AFL club, with help from Brad Johnson and Nick Dal Santo from Fox Footy’s The Trade Lowdown.

ADELAIDE CROWS

B: J.Kelly, L.Brown, T.Doedee

HB: B.Smith, D.Talia, R.Laird

C: R.Atkins, R.Sloane, P.Seedsman

HF: J.Gallucci, T.Walker, T.Lynch

F: D.Fogarty, J.Jenkins, E.Betts

FOL: S.Jacobs, M.Crouch, B.Gibbs

I/C: R.Knight, H.Greenwood, R.Douglas, B.Crouch

We say: Even in an annus horribilis, which saw the Crows battle a massive injury toll as well as off-field issues (admittedly of their own doing), this team won 12 games. The talent is still there to return to the top four after a year’s absence. Mitch McGovern is a loss, but the Crows did well out of the deal and to have four picks in the top 21 - which could help them get a top six pick and nab one of the star South Australian prospects - is a major win. The teams that continually challenge for flags are those that bring in top young talent without having to bottom out.

BRISBANE LIONS

B: L.Hodge, H.Andrews, D.Gardiner

HB: D.Rich, J.Walker, A.Witherden

C: J.Berry, D.Zorko, H.McCluggage

HF: C.Rayner, E.Hipwood, T.Cutler

F: C.Cameron, D.McStay, L.McCarthy

FOL: S.Martin, L.Neale, A.Christensen

I/C: R.Mathieson, L.Taylor, M.Robinson, Z.Bailey

We say: For 2019, Lachie Neale for Dayne Beams is probably an equal swap. For 2020 and beyond, you can very fairly argue Neale is much more valuable, given he is over three years younger. Keeping them both would have been ideal but as Beams explained after his move to Collingwood, he was never going to re-sign after two more years at Brisbane anyway. So while the Lions do miss out on one of the stars of the draft, with their first pick now coming at 18, they will get three shots in the first two rounds at finding a star contributor - and in the draft, it’s arguably about how many shots you take as much as when you take them. Marcus Adams will compete for a spot in the back line and could allow Harris Andrews to play more of a Jeremy McGovern intercepting-type role.

CARLTON

B: J.Weitering, L.Jones, L.Plowman

HB: S.Docherty, C.Marchbank, K.Simpson

C: Z.Fisher, P.Cripps, L.O’Brien

HF: S.Petrevski-Seton, C.Curnow, M.McGovern

F: A.Fasolo, H.McKay, J.Pickett

FOL: M.Kreuzer, P.Dow, M.Murphy

I/C: W.Setterfield, J.Silvagni, E.Curnow, D.Thomas

Nick Dal Santo says: McGovern is a fantastic player. Fasolo will be in their best team at the start of the year, and maybe for a year or two, but I think as this team continues to develop he might actually get squeezed out because of the youth coming through. Will Setterfield is a great get - it didn’t cost them a lot, so I love what they’ve done.

COLLINGWOOD

B: B.Maynard, L.Dunn, J.Crisp

HB: J.Howe, D.Moore, T.Langdon

C: S.Sidebottom, S.Pendlebury, T.Phillips

HF: W.Hoskin-Elliott, B.Mihocek, T.Varcoe

F: J.Thomas, M.Cox, J.de Goey

FOL: B.Grundy, D.Beams, T.Adams

I/C: A.Treloar, J.Stephenson, C.Mayne, B.Sier

We say: A strength gets stronger with Dayne Beams coming into an already very impressive Collingwood midfield. In fact that bench might be the best in the entire AFL. The issue is defence, with Lynden Dunn returning from an ACL injury and Darcy Moore battling persistent hamstring complaints. That was one of the big problems against West Coast - although the Eagles admittedly have some of the best tall forwards in the game, making it look even worse than usual. But this is a strong side that made the Grand Final in a year with ill-health. Keep in mind that Daniel Wells isn’t in this 22. Yet.

ESSENDON

B: M.Baguley, M.Hurley, A.McGrath

HB: A.Saad, A.Francis, C.McKenna

C: K.Langford, Z.Merrett, D.Heppell

HF: J.Stringer, C.Hooker, O.Fantasia

F: A.McDonald-Tipungwuti, J.Daniher, D.Smith

FOL: T.Bellchambers, D.Zaharakis, D.Shiel

I/C: D.Parish, J.Laverde, J.Stewart, D.Myers

Nick Dal Santo says: (Shiel) gives them more depth once again. They have a starting midfield, but then when they have to rotate, the second-string mids that will come through are just as good, or maybe slightly below. They have great numbers that can go through and they have those half-forwards that can pinch-hit for a spurt here and there - McDonald-Tipungwuti can have a go through there, McGrath’s still developing and he moved up onto the wing last year from the halfback flank in his first year. They’re building really nicely.

FREMANTLE

B: L.Ryan, A.Pearce, R.Nyhuis

HB: N.Wilson, J.Hamling, E.Langdon

C: A.Brayshaw, N.Fyfe, B.Hill

HF: S.Hill, J.Hogan, R.Lobb

F: H.Ballantyne, B.Cox, C.McCarthy

FOL: A.Sandilands, A.Cerra, M.Walters

I/C: D.Mundy, H.Bennell, B.Banfield, S.Giro

We say: Before the 2017 draft, you wouldn’t have said this was a midfield that could withstand the loss of Lachie Neale. But that haul of Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw - and to a lesser extent Bailey Banfield and Stefan Giro - means Fremantle might be alright. The Dockers are still heavily reliant on the Aaron Sandilands/Nat Fyfe combination, but if they can play for the majority of the season together, and if Harley Bennell can put things together, and if Ross Lyon can integrate Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb into the side... it’s a lot of ifs, but there is promise here.

GEELONG CATS

B: J.Kolodjashnij, L.Henderson, T.Stewart

HB: J.Bews, M.Blicavs, Z.Tuohy

C: G.Ablett, J.Selwood, M.Duncan

HF: S.Menegola, E.Ratugolea, B.Parfitt

F: L.Dahlhaus, T.Hawkins, J.Henry

FOL: R.Stanley, P.Dangerfield, T.Kelly

I/C: Q.Narkle, S.Selwood, N.Cockatoo, G.Rohan

Brad Johnson says: Their side is still reasonably strong - you add Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan in there, and of course Tim Kelly remains in that line-up. They have a strong midfield, and if they get it right, I think they’ll have a really good showing again in 2019.

GOLD COAST SUNS

B: S.Collins, R.Thompson, J.Harbrow

HB: G.Horlin-Smith, J.Hombsch, P.Hanley

C: D.Swallow, A.Miles, L.Weller

HF: C.Ellis, B.Crossley, A.Sexton

F: B.Ainsworth, P.Wright, A.Young

FOL: J.Witts, J.Martin, T.Miller

I/C: M.Rischitelli, J.Bowes, J.Lyons, C.Ah Chee

We say: Most of the players who joined Gold Coast this trade period were doing so for opportunity - and with five new faces in our Suns best 22, they look to have made the right call. Sam Collins was incredibly impressive at VFL level in 2018, so too Anthony Miles. The issue now is a lack of tall timber. Will the Suns go to the draft with picks 2 and 3 and look at the King twins, or some of the South Australian guns? It will likely depend on whether the front office believes it can lock them down for the long-term. With Lynch and May gone, the Suns are essentially starting over. Let’s see if they can get it right this time.

GWS GIANTS

B: A.Kennedy, P.Davis, A.Tomlinson

HB: Z.Williams, N.Haynes, S.Taylor

C: L.Whitfield, C.Ward, J.Hopper

HF: B.Deledio, J.Cameron, T.Greene

F: Z.Langdon, H.Himmelberg, T.Taranto

FOL: S.Mumford, S.Coniglio, J.Kelly

I/C: H.Shaw, A.Bonar, M.Buntine, A.Corr

We say: Hang on, Shane Mumford? Yes, when Johnson and Dal Santo picked this 22 they did it with the thought that the big ruckman will return for GWS in 2019. It’s a real possibility and makes some sense, because this team is trying to win a flag ASAP before they’re forced to break up the side even more. It would be hard to rely on Mumford for an entire season, but then it is already going to be hard to rely on existing ruckman Dawson Simpson for an entire season. There is just enough depth from previous high draft picks at this side to make up for the losses of players like Dylan Shiel and Rory Lobb - and keep in mind that Jon Patton tore his ACL back in July, so he could perhaps return late in 2019.

CONTINUED NEXT POST

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
HAWTHORN

B: B.Hardwick, J.Frawley, G.Birchall

HB: S.Burgoyne, B.Stratton, J.Sicily

C: T.Scully, T.Mitchell, I.Smith

HF: R.Henderson, J.Gunston, L.Shiels

F: L.Breust, J.Roughead, C.Wingard

FOL: B.McEvoy, J.O’Meara, P.Puopolo

I/C: D.Howe, J.Impey, J.Worpel, R.Schoenmakers

Brad Johnson says: Birchall I think comes back into that 22. He’s an experienced player, really skilful as well and has that drive off that back half if he gets himself right. Sicily is extremely important along with Stratton. Scully we’ve put on the wing - it might not happen early, but we’ll see there. Chad Wingard slots straight in and there’s a fair bit of strength there in their line-up.

MELBOURNE

B: N.Jetta, S.May, O.McDonald

HB: C.Salem, J.Lever, M.Hibberd

C: A.Brayshaw, C.Oliver, J.Harmes

HF: J.Melksham, T.McDonald, C.Spargo

F: B.Fritsch, S.Weideman, C.Petracca

FOL: M.Gawn, N.Jones, J.Viney

I/C: A.vandenBerg, M.Hannan, J.Lewis, A.Neal-Bullen

Nick Dal Santo says: What we saw in the last six to eight weeks when Jesse Hogan wasn’t there, is their forward line can operate and win finals. There’s a lot of pressure on Weideman now, we saw that first half in the first final - exceptional. That almost becomes his standard. Can he do that more often to make sure he can fill the void of Hogan leaving? I like Kade Kolodjashnij, I still can’t work out the Brayden Preuss decision from his point of view. Jake Lever only played a handful of games, so he’s almost a new player at that footy club.

Brad Johnson says: Tom McDonald’s the big one for me. I think he’ll kick 80-plus (goals) next year for Melbourne, which will help Weideman get up the ground more. He’s going to get plenty of supply when you look at their midfield ... that’s the strongest midfield in the competition.

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: M.Daw, S.Thompson, M.Williams

HB: J.Macmillan, R.Tarrant, L.McDonald

C: P.Ahern, D.Tyson, J.Polec

HF: J.Anderson, B.McKay, A.Hall

F: J.Ziebell, B.Brown, M.Wood

FOL: T.Goldstein, B.Cunnington, S.Higgins

I/C: J.Simpkin, L.Davies-Uniacke, B.Jacobs, T.Dumont

Brad Johnson says: They had a strong line-up already and they improved last year. I liked putting Jack Ziebell into the forward line and Shaun Higgins was outstanding with Cunnington through the midfield. Davies-Uniacke to get a full season. You’ve got Tyson, Polec and Hall in there, and I think Pittard is the other one who has to fight either McDonald or Macmillan to earn that respect to get onto the halfback line for North.

Nick Dal Santo says: And to add to that, on draft night they’ve got Tarryn Thomas as an academy player from Tasmania, and also Bailey Scott who they’re looking at as well. So they’ve got a couple of options come draft night. If you’re a North Melbourne supporter, you have to be happy with the amount of action.

PORT ADELAIDE

B: D.Howard, T.Clurey, D.Houston

HB: R.Burton, T.Jonas, D.Byrne-Jones

C: S.Motlop, O.Wines, T.Rockliff

HF: T.Boak, J.Westhoff, S.Gray

F: R.Gray, C.Dixon, S.Lycett

FOL: P.Ryder, S.Powell-Pepper, B.Ebert

I/C: H.Hartlett, K.Farrell, R.Bonner, J.Watts

Brad Johnson says: I think the likes of Motlop, Rockliff and Watts can have better years than they did this year. Powell-Pepper I think will be stronger once again. Ollie Wines through the midfield, and defensively they’re very strong down there. I think they’re going to have an excellent year next year and really jump up.

RICHMOND

B: D.Astbury, A.Rance, B.Houli

HB: N.Vlastuin, D.Grimes, N.Broad

C: S.Edwards, T.Cotchin, K.Lambert

HF: D.Rioli, T.Lynch, D.Butler

F: J.Higgins, J.Riewoldt, J.Caddy

FOL: T.Nankervis, D.Martin, D.Prestia

I/C: S.Grigg, J.Castagna, J.Graham, J.Short

Brad Johnson says: The best 22 doesn’t change much except for Tom Lynch. He’ll jump into that line-up - it’s tough if you’re a young player, because that is very settled and very strong.

Nick Dal Santo says: I think Shaun Grigg will be thankful Tom Lynch has joined in because he can do a tiny bit of ruck work if Nankervis does need a rest throughout a game, he can actually fill the void and Grigg can just play to his height.

ST KILDA

B: J.Geary, D.Roberton, D.Armitage

HB: J.Newnes, J.Carlisle, J.Webster

C: J.Steele, D.Hannebery, J.Sinclair

HF: D.Kent, T.Membrey, J.Billings

F: J.Gresham, J.Bruce, P.McCartin

FOL: B.Longer, J.Steven, S.Ross

I/C: N.Coffield, B.Acres, H.Clark, J.Battle

Nick Dal Santo says: I think (Kent) brings in a bit of grunt; I don’t mind that in that forward half, I like that move. I like Hannebery playing through the midfield, inside and outside midfielder. With Pick 4, I wouldn’t be surprised if they used that as leverage on draft night to on-trade that and get multiple picks in the first round.

SYDNEY SWANS

B: D.Rampe, H.Grundy, J.Lloyd

HB: L.Melican, A.Aliir, C.Mills

C: H.Cunningham, J.Kennedy, O.Florent

HF: B.Ronke, L.Franklin, G.Hewett

F: W.Hayward, T.McCartin, S.Reid

FOL: C.Sinclair, I.Heeney, L.Parker

I/C: Z.Jones, T.Papley, J.McVeigh, R.Clarke

Brad Johnson says: They’ll use their draft picks to get Nick Blakey, a father-son. Their best 22 is really strong - we didn’t have Nic Newman in there anyway. It’s even tough at some points to find spots for Jarrad McVeigh, and Kieren Jack as well is going to have to battle his way back into this 22.

WEST COAST EAGLES

B: S.Hurn, T.Barrass, W.Schofield

HB: T.Cole, J.McGovern, L.Jetta

C: J.Redden, E.Yeo, A.Gaff

HF: C.Masten, J.Darling, O.Allen

F: W.Rioli, J.Kennedy, J.Cripps

FOL: N.Vardy, L.Shuey, D.Sheed

I/C: L.Ryan, L.Duggan, T.Hickey, M.Hutchings

Nick Dal Santo says: Tom Hickey does have that ability to go forward if he has to, so they can still run that two-ruck combination. But their biggest get this year was keeping Andrew Gaff.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: T.Duryea, Z.Cordy, D.Morris

HB: E.Wood, A.Naughton, J.Johannisen

C: L.Hunter, T.Liberatore, J.Macrae

HF: B.Dale, B.Gowers, C.Daniel

F: T.McLean, J.Schache, E.Richards

FOL: T.English, M.Bontempelli, J.Dunkley

I/C: H.Crozier, L.Picken, M.Wallis, B.Williams

Brad Johnson says: I don’t have Sam Lloyd in the best 22 yet. I have Duryea in there because of his experience, he’ll get first crack in the back pocket. You’ve got some experience there with Wood and Morris, the run of Johannisen, Naughton to improve next year as well. It’s reasonably strong and with the draw they’ve got, I can see a bit of a rise. (Tom Boyd’s) just not in the 22 at the moment ... he hasn’t improved as a player. He’s got some issues that he’s working through as a player and we understand that. If he does get back in there he can help that side, but at the moment I don’t see him there. Tim English is the number one ruck to start next year.

AFL Club
Melbourne
AFL 2019: Every club’s best 22 for the 2019 season following the trade period

………...here are the current best 22s for every AFL club, with help from Brad Johnson and Nick Dal Santo from Fox Footy’s The Trade Lowdown.

CARLTON

B: J.Weitering, L.Jones, L.Plowman

HB: S.Docherty, C.Marchbank, K.Simpson

C: Z.Fisher, P.Cripps, L.O’Brien

HF: S.Petrevski-Seton, C.Curnow, M.McGovern

F: A.Fasolo, H.McKay, J.Pickett

FOL: M.Kreuzer, P.Dow, M.Murphy

I/C: W.Setterfield, J.Silvagni, E.Curnow, D.Thomas

Nick Dal Santo says: McGovern is a fantastic player. Fasolo will be in their best team at the start of the year, and maybe for a year or two, but I think as this team continues to develop he might actually get squeezed out because of the youth coming through. Will Setterfield is a great get - it didn’t cost them a lot, so I love what they’ve done.
These blokes are kidding themselves!
Nic Newman is good enough to play most of the season in a strong Swans line up, but doesn't crack best 22 in one of the weakest teams we've seen in the last 10 years!

OzRulesFootball

Director of Coaching
AFL Club
Carlton
Nic Newman is good enough to play most of the season in a strong Swans line up, but doesn't crack best 22 in one of the weakest teams we've seen in the last 10 years!
I did not even get that far before I did not bother with reading their best 22 thoughts.
When I looked at Brisbane and saw no Marcus Adams listed in team I did not bother looking over the rest as indeed, they are kidding themselves.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not for one moment am I defending these guys, I'm just putting my thoughts forward.
I'm not a fan of Newman, he has put in too many poor games for my liking.
I noticed he only played 10 games this year, but I am not sure if it was because of injury, or poor form???
I suspect Newman was brought in as a back-up half-back, incase Docherty or Simpson get injured, but I really don't know what Carlton are thinking?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed - it’s an interesting piece, but I’m not sure Brad Johnson has seen the Collingwood midfield.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not for one moment am I defending these guys, I'm just putting my thoughts forward.
I'm not a fan of Newman, he has put in too many poor games for my liking.
I noticed he only played 10 games this year, but I am not sure if it was because of injury, or poor form???
I suspect Newman was brought in as a back-up half-back, incase Docherty or Simpson get injured, but I really don't know what Carlton are thinking?
From what I've been told via someone with a connection to the Swans, Newman was very much out of favour with players and coaches.
Wasn't liked by many and very self-centred and selfish was what I was told. Will be interesting to see how he settles in at the Blues.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I've been told via someone with a connection to the Swans, Newman was very much out of favour with players and coaches.
Wasn't liked by many and very self-centred and selfish was what I was told. Will be interesting to see how he settles in at the Blues.
I hope a change of clubs may give him an opportunity to assess his priorities, but if it doesn't, then no team needs a player that may unstable its culture, especially if a club is trying to build one.

Presto

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Part1
Check out who we think will be in your club’s best 22 come Round 1 next year

Herald Sun

October 20, 2018 10:30am

Subscriber only

THE trade period is done and now your club’s best 22 for 2019 is starting to take shape.

Who is in it right now?

SuperFooty has run the numbers and come up with the best 22 for all 18 clubs for next season.

Do you agree with our predictions?

ADELAIDE

B: R.Laird, D.Talia, L.Brown

HB: B.Smith, T.Doedee, W.Milera

C: R.Atkins, R.Sloane, P.Seedsman

HF: R.Douglas, T.Walker, T.Lynch

F: D.Fogarty, J.Jenkins, E.Betts

FOL: S.Jacobs, M.Crouch, B.Gibbs

I/C: R.Knight, H.Greenwood, B.Crouch, J.Gallucci

MATTHEW HEATH SAYS: The Crows farewell Mitch McGovern but maintain the bulk of their imposing 2017 squad that did everything but win the grand final. They found a ripper in Tom Doedee this season, Wayne Milera and Hugh Greenwood came on in spades and there is now depth across the board with the trade period delivering some ready replacements for the ageing Eddie Betts in Tyson Stengle and Shane McAdam. With a full preseason from Brodie Smith and a bit of luck on the injury front for Brad Crouch and Taylor Walker, they should be right back in the premiership mix. The Crows will be pumped to see Brad Crouch back. Picture: Sarah Reed

BRISBANE

B: Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner

HB: Marcus Adams, Daniel McStay, Alex Witherden

C: Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko

HF: Cameron Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage

F: Tom Cutler, Oscar McInerney, Charlie Cameron

Folls: Stefan Martin, Jarrod Berry, Lachie Neale

Inter: Lewis Taylor, Allen Christensen, Zac Bailey, Nick Robertson

Next in line: Rhys Mathieson, Josh Walker, Ryan Lester, Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays

CHRIS VERNUCCIO SAYS: How good would this Lions team look if Dayne Beams wanted to stay? Brisbane, however, has effectively traded one elite midfielder for another elite midfielder, but a younger model. The line-up has great depth in the backline and an emerging forward line. Charlie Cameron would have been a contender for recruit of the year before his season-ending injury in Round 11. Every line is starting to take shape, it’s now up to the youngsters such as Hugh McCluggage, Alex Witherden, Cameron Rayner and Tom Cutler to become A-graders.

CARLTON

B: C.Marchbank, J.Weitering, L.O’Brien

HB: S.Docherty, L.Jones, K.Simpson

C: Z.Fisher, E.Curnow, P.Dow

HF: S.Petrevski-Seton, C.Curnow, T.Williamson

F: M.McGovern, H.McKay, J.Pickett

FOL: M.Kreuzer, M.Murphy P.Cripps,

I/C: W.Setterfield, L.Plowman, N.Newman, S.Walsh

Next best: D.Thomas, Jarrod Garlett, Matthew Kennedy, David Cuningham

MATTHEW HEATH SAYS: That Blues’ spine is coming along nicely thanks to the addition of Crows swingman Mitch McGovern, who could fill a key forward or defensive post. At only 23, you get the feeling he is still a way off reaching his full potential, which an injury-free season could deliver. There is still a glaring lack of big-bodied protection for Cripps, but the inclusions of Setterfield and Newman, along with the returns of Docherty and Williamson from season-long injuries, should help ease the midfield load. Will they take Walsh with the first pick and slot him straight in? Carlton will have new leaders in 2019.

COLLINGWOOD

B Brayden Maynard Ben Reid Tom Langdon

HB Jeremy Howe Darcy Moore Jack Crisp

C Steele Sidebottom Scott Pendlebury Tom Phillips

HF Will Hoskin-Elliott Brody Mihocek Dayne Beams

F Jamie Elliott Mason Cox Jordan De Goey

Foll Brodie Grundy Taylor Adams Adam Treloar

I/C Jaidyn Stephenson Josh Thomas Daniel Wells Travis Varcoe

Next in line: Brayden Sier, Chris Mayne, Tyson Goldsack, James Aish, Levi Greenwood, Jordan Roughead

KATE SALEMME SAYS: Lynden Dunn and Matt Scharenberg are facing delayed starts to 2019 after knee reconstructions. Sier, Mayne, Aish and Greenwood are mightily unlucky not to be picked but if the big guns are all fit, some players have to miss out. Reid gets the nod at full-back just ahead of Goldsack because of his size but if both are fit and available, it will be horses for courses, depending on form and match-ups.

ESSENDON

B: Aaron Francis Cale Hooker Andy McGrath

HB: Adam Saad Michael Hurley Conor McKenna

C: Devon Smith Dyson Heppell David Zaharakis

HF: Orazio Fantasia Shaun McKernan Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

F: Jake Stringer Joe Daniher Mark Baguley

R: Tom Bellchambers Zach Merrett Dylan Shiel

INT: Darcy Parish Kyle Langford David Myers Jayden Laverde Martin Gleeson

Next in line: Mason Redman, Patrick Ambrose, Matt Guelfi, Mitch Brown, Michael Hartley

LIAM TWOMEY SAYS: There are no excuses for the Bombers in 2019. This team can’t just make the finals. It needs to win one. We know what we are going to get from the stars. But watch for the likes of Aaron Francis, Andy McGrath and Jayden Laverde to take their games to the next level. And what will Dylan Shiel do as the star of the show? What impact will Dylan Shiel have at Essendon?

FREMANTLE

B Nathan Wilson Joel Hamling Taylin Duman

HB Luke Ryan Alex Pearce Ed Langdon

C Stephen Hill Andrew Brayshaw Brad Hill

HF Michael Walters Matt Taberner David Mundy

F Hayden Ballantyne Jesse Hogan Rory Lobb

Foll Sean Darcy Nat Fyfe Connor Blakely

I/C Travis Colyer Adam Cerra Reece Conca Harley Bennell

Next in line: Aaron Sandilands, Cam Sutcliffe, Tom Sheridan, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera, Brennan Cox

BEN HIGGINS SAYS: There’s plenty of new faces at Fremantle with Hogan, Lobb and Colyer all set for Round 1 debuts in purple. It’s time for some young blood as well, so we’ve picked Sean Darcy in the ruck ahead of Aaron Sandilands. After his controversial move from GWS a couple of years ago, Cam McCarthy is now on the outside looking in and will have to impress over preseason to squeeze into the best 22.

GEELONG

B: Tom Stewart Mark Blicavs Jed Bews

HB: Zach Tuohy Lachie Henderson Jack Henry

C: Mitch Duncan Patrick Dangerfield Sam Menegola

HF: Nakia Cockatoo Esava Ratugolea Tim Kelly

F: Gary Rohan Tom Hawkins Luke Dahlhaus

R: Rhys Stanley Joel Selwood Gary Ablett

INT: Jake Kolodjashnij Lachie Fogarty Brandan Parfitt Cam Guthrie

Next in line: Harry Taylor Daniel Menzel Scott Selwood Quinton Narkle Nathan Kreuger Wylie Buzza

LIAM TWOMEY SAYS: The Cats need to look over a few familiar faces to start the year, meaning Taylor, Menzel and Scott Selwood should start in the VFL. They would love to get 22 games from both Nakia Cockatoo and Esava Ratugolea in 2019. Will this be the Little Master’s final season? The Cats would love for Nakia Cockatoo to get a clear run in 2019. Picture: Arj Giese

GOLD COAST

B Sam Collins Rory Thompson Jarrod Harbrow

HB Pearce Hanley Jack Hombsch Jack Martin

C David Swallow Anthony Miles Jack Bowes

HF Izak Rankine Peter Wright Alex Sexton

F Josh Corbett Sam Day Ben Ainsworth

Foll Jarrod Witts Touk Miller Lachie Weller

I/C George Horlin-Smith Callum Ah Chee Jarryd Lyons Brayden Fiorini

Next in line: Will Brodie, Jack Lukosius, Corey Ellis, Chris Burgess, Jesse Joyce, Nick Holman

BEN HIGGINS SAYS: Round 1 could see an almost completely new team suit up for the Suns. We’re predicting at least six new faces, including likely top draft pick Izak Rankine, with Jack Lukosius, Corey Ellis and Chris Burgess on the fringes. Will Brodie needs a big preseason to force his way into the best 22. Stuart Dew faces an almighty task just to get this club to gel ahead of the new season. Will they win a game?

GWS GIANTS

B Sam Taylor Phil Davis Nick Haynes

HB Matt Buntine Aiden Corr Zac Williams

C Stephen Coniglio Callan Ward Lachie Whitfield

HF Toby Greene Harry Himmelberg Matt de Boer

F Brett Deledio Jeremy Cameron Zac Langdon

Foll Shane Mumford Tim Taranto Josh Kelly

I/C Jacob Hopper Heath Shaw Adam Tomlinson No.9 draft pick

Next in line: No.11 draft pick, Harry Perryman, Aiden Bonar, Adam Kennedy, Isaac Cumming, Jeremy Finlayson

BEN HIGGINS SAYS: The biggest question (no pun intended) ahead of the draft is will Shane Mumford return? If he does, he starts Round 1. If not, Dawson Simpson gets the nod. Meanhile, the Giants’ trade period exodus will put pressure on their young stars, with the likes of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper set for much bigger roles in the midfield. GWS also holds three first-round picks, with at least one sure to start Round 1. Will Josh Kelly go to even greater heights in 2019? Picture: Michael Klein

Presto

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Part 2
MELBOURNE
B Jake Lever Oscar McDonald Neville Jetta
HB Kade Kolodjashnij Steven May Michael Hibberd
C Christian Salem Jack Viney Angus Brayshaw
HF Christian Petracca Tom McDonald James Harmes
F Jake Melksham Sam Weideman Mitch Hannan
Foll Max Gawn Nathan Jones Clayton Oliver
I/C Alex Neal-Bullen Jordan Lewis Charlie Spargo Bayley Fritsch
Next in line: Jayden Hunt, Aaron vandenBerg, Braydon Preuss, Sam Frost, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Joel Smith
BEN HIGGINS SAYS: The additions of Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij and Jake Lever’s returns makes Melbourne’s defence arguably the best in the AFL. A full pre-season for Jack Viney and the continued development of some young stars has the Demons well placed to repeat their preliminary final performance. The biggest question mark is if Jayden Hunt can break in to the best 22 and whether Braydon Preuss will share ruck duties with Max Gawn. Steven May will fit in well at the Demons. Picture: AAP Images
NORTH MELBOURNE
B: Majak Daw Scott Thompson Marley Williams
HB: Jasper Pittard Robbie Tarrant Luke McDonald
C: Jared Polec Ben Cunnington Jamie Macmillan
HF: Jy Simpkin Jack Ziebell Aaron Hall
F: Kayne Turner Ben Brown Tarryn Thomas
Foll: Todd Goldstein Shaun Higgins Jed Anderson
I/C: Paul Ahern Shaun Atley Trent Dumont Mason Wood
Next in line: Dom Tyson, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Sam Wright, Nathan Hrovat, Taylor Garner, Sam Durdin
GILBERT GARDINER SAYS: Does Dom Tyson play Round 1? Who does he squeeze out? Ben Cunnington is a lock, so is Trent Dumont, while Jed Anderson finished 2018 in strong form. Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard provide some much needed run-and-carry while Aaron Hall brings match-winning ability to the forward half. Expect Next Generation Academy gun Tarryn Thomas to be a first-round draft pick and he could force his way in for Round 1.
PORT ADELAIDE
B: T.Jonas, T.Clurey, D.Houston
HB: R.Burton, D.Howard, H.Hartlett
C: R.Bonner, O.Wines, S.Motlop
HF: T.Boak, J.Westhoff, R.Gray
F: S.Lycett, C.Dixon, S.Gray
FOL: P.Ryder, S.Powell-Pepper, B.Ebert
I/C: K.Farrell, T.Marshall, T.Rockliff, D.Byrne-Jones
MATTHEW HEATH SAYS: There will once again be plenty of intrigue about Port Adelaide’s starting line-up in 2019 after the Power played another front-and-centre role during the trade period. But instead of questions on where big-name recruits such as Rockliff, Motlop and Watts will slot in, this time it will be how Polec, Wingard and Pittard will be replaced. Scott Lycett will be a big boost as second ruck, but much of the Power’s hopes will rest on how Ryder, Dixon, Hartlett, Rockliff and even young forward Todd Marshall bounce back from injury-cursed 2018 campaigns. How much senior football will Jack Watts see next year? Picture: Getty Images
RICHMOND
B Dylan Grimes Alex Rance Nathan Broad
HB Nick Vlastuin David Astbury Bachar Houli
C Kane Lambert Dion Prestia Kamdyn McIntosh
HF Shane Edwards Tom Lynch Daniel Rioli
F Dan Butler Jack Riewoldt Josh Caddy
Foll Toby Nankervis Dustin Martin Trent Cotchin
I/C Shaun Grigg Jack Higgins Jayden Short Jason Castagna
Next in line: Brandon Ellis, Jack Graham, Jacob Townsend, Oleg Markov, Connor Menadue, Ryan Garthwaite
AL PATON SAYS: Only an injury setback can stop Tom Lynch from lining up at centre half-forward in Round 1. The Tigers’ mini exodus has seemingly had little impact on the best 22 with premiership stars Brandon Ellis, Jack Graham and Jacob Townsend being squeezed out of our predicted line-up. Jayden Short cemented his place in the senior team this year. Will Dimma stick with the mosquito fleet underneath Lynch and Jack Riewoldt?
ST KILDA
B Jarryn Geary Nathan Brown Dylan Roberton
HB Shane Savage Jake Carlisle Jimmy Webster
C Blake Acres Jack Steven Jack Steele
HF Jade Gresham Tim Membrey Jack Billings
F Dean Kent Josh Bruce Paddy McCartin
Foll Billy Longer Seb Ross Dan Hannebery
I/C Hunter Clark Ben Long Jack Newnes No.4 draftee
Next in line: Jack Lonie, Nick Coffield, Luke Dunstan, David Armitage, Lewis Pierce, Logan Austin
AL PATON SAYS: Dan Hannebery (if 100 per cent fit) is an instant improvement in the Saints’ midfield, while Dean Kent will battle with Ben Long and Jack Lonie for a spot in the forward line. One of the King brothers should arrive with the No.4 draft pick and walk straight into the best 22. Luke Dunstan and David Armitage are now behind youngster Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield on the Saints’ pecking order.
SYDNEY SWANS
B Dane Rampe Heath Grundy Nick Smith
HB Jake Lloyd Aliir Aliir Zak Jones
C Isaac Heeney Josh Kennedy Callum Mills
HF Ryan Clarke Lance Franklin Tom Papley
F Ben Ronke Tom McCartin Will Hayward
Foll Callum Sinclair Luke Parker George Hewett
I/C Ollie Florent Jarred McVeigh Harry Cunningham Nick Blakey
Next in line: Jackson Thurlow, Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, Lewis Melican, Sam Naismith, Harry Marsh
BEN HIGGINS SAYS: The returns of Callum Mills and Nick Smith certainly improves the Swans’ line-up and Ryan Clarke adds some key midfield depth. Tom McCartin’s impressive debut season has seen him jump Sam Reid in the key forward pecking order, while the ruck mantle is Callum Sinclair’s to lose. Academy star and likely top-10 draft pick Nick Blakey should slot straight into the best 22. Jackson Thurlow is on the fringe for now.
WEST COAST
B Shannon Hurn Tom Barrass Brad Sheppard
HB Liam Duggan Jeremy McGovern Lewis Jetta
C Chris Masten Luke Shuey Andrew Gaff*
HF Willie Rioli Jack Darling Elliot Yeo
F Liam Ryan Josh Kennedy Jamie Cripps
Foll Tom Hickey Mark Hutchings Jack Redden
I/C Daniel Venables Nathan Vardy Tom Cole Dom Sheed
Next in line: Will Schofield Jake Waterman, Brendon Ah Chee, Hamish Brayshaw, Jackson Nelson, Jack Petruccelle
BEN HIGGINS SAYS: Nic Nat will miss the first half of the year, so Tom Hickey gets the start at ruck. Andrew Gaff is suspended for the first two games of 2019, even though we’ve named him. Callum Ah Chee should get a call up. Will Schofield was immense in the Eagles’ premiership win but that backline is a tough nut to crack, with Brad Sheppard back in the team.
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B Dale Morris Zaine Cordy Easton Wood
HB Ed Richards Aaron Naughton Jason Johannisen
C Lachie Hunter Jack Macrae Toby McLean
HF Sam Lloyd Jackson Trengove Josh Dunkley
F Mitch Wallis Josh Schache Billy Gowers
Foll Tom Boyd Marcus Bontempelli Tom Liberatore
I/C Matthew Suckling Hayden Crozier Caleb Daniel Bailey Dale
Next in line: Liam Picken, Bailey Williams, Tim English, Tory Dickson, Patrick Lipinski, Taylor Duryea
BEN HIGGINS SAYS: Sam Lloyd walks straight into a half-forward flank, probably at the expence of Tory Dickson, but Taylor Duryea might have to bide his time. There’s some big decisions to be made on the Dogs’ talls. Is Tom Boyd the No.1 ruckman or does Tim English start in Round 1? How do Boyd, Trengove, Schache and English all fit? Liam Picken is a walk-up start if he’s fit. Bailey Williams desperately unlucky.