Which team wins a final first?

• Essendon

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 44 69.8%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got 100%, which is sad because the early 2000s obviously feel like yesterday to me... (at least I now know my memory isn't going yet!)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Usually the team with the best defence wins the flag, hmmmm.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/25/why-collingwoods-midfield-is-now-the-best-ever/

Why Collingwood’s midfield is now the best ever

Dayne Beams, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Adam Treloar, Taylor Adams, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Jordan de Goey, Brodie Grundy – never before has a side had a midfield of this calibre.

It is hard to fathom with the strict salary cap implemented in today’s modern game that a side could have so many A-grade midfielders in the line-up, yet this is something that Collingwood and its coach Nathan Buckley have been able to achieve. This has been through effective list management processes and making the club an attractive place to be.

Those who dislike Collingwood will often point to champion trios of the past with examples such as Michael Voss, Simon Black and Jason Akermanis – or Chris Judd, Ben Cousins and Daniel Kerr provided. The debate is not which team has the best trio or quartet of midfielders in the history of the game, it is who has the best overall midfield.

No examples of the past have ever had a midfielder-ruckman hybrid the calibre of Grundy in the line-up either, all of which furthers the case that this is the best midfield line-up ever to be composed.

There is such a heavy level luxury and Rolls-Royce-esque quality in the Collingwood midfield, this provides players like De Goey the ability to play in the forward line and put goals on the scoreboard.

There may have been some basis for the debate of this not being the best midfield before, but now wish the re-addition of Beams, there is no doubt this will be the best midfield ever seen for the coming season in 2019. Beams just adds even further class to an already star-studded midfield.

The issue could arise where there are too many quality players, or midfielders potentially, pushed out of the side due to the abundance of premium quality midfielders in the side.

This is a very handy issue for Buckley to have, and his team will be the envy of all other sides next year.

Whether this eventuates to on-field success or not is another topic of interest, as the Magpies will still be well in need of more key-position players. I am unsure whether Jordan Roughead’s acquisition will help the cause any further, but time will tell.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I've been watching since the first pitch whilst running reception for the day, as well as other tasks, not easy to do. I'm a huge Dodger fan so I've been riding every pitch of this game. Man, we need to win this.
Haha priorities!

AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL Club
Melbourne
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...er-accident-report/ar-BBP1y6F?ocid=spartanntp

Retired AFL player Colin Sylvia has passed away after a car accident on Sunday night, according to Demons legend Garry Lyon and a former teammate.
"Colin Sylvia has tragically been killed in a car accident near Mildura, just out of Mildura last night," Lyon told SEN Breakfast.
"Some of the details are a bit sketchy but a two-car collision up there.
This is very sad news. Had some real talent and was one of my favourite Dee's players for a while.
RIP Col

AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL announces 2019 JLT Series pre-season fixture
Herald Sun
16 minutes ago

THERE is no pre-season grand final any more but clubs will travel far and wide for next year’s JLT Series.
Matches will be staged in Morwell, Shepparton and Ballarat in country Victoria, plus Launceston, Canberra, Joondalup in Western Australia and Port Pirie in South Australia.
Brisbane will host Hawthorn at the Moreton Bay Sports Complex and Gold Coast will play the Western Bulldogs at the Great Barrier Reef Arena in Mackay.
The AFL has announced there will be no new rules trialed in next year’s competition and games will be full-length. The matches will be the first chance to see next year’s nine rule changes in action including six-six-six starting positions and allowing defenders to play on immediately from kick-ins without touching the ball on their boot.
Rivals Carlton and Essendon kick-off the pre-season comp on Thursday, February 28 at Ikon Park.
The fixture features local derbies between the Crows and Power, Dockers and Eagles, and Swans and Giants.
Former joint Gold Coast captains Tom Lynch and Steven May could line up on each other when Richmond and Melbourne meet in Shepparton and North Melbourne recruits Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard will face their old side at Alberton Oval, while West Coast and Geelong will play a mini Tim Kelly grudge match at Leederville Oval in Perth.
“The JLT Community Series is all about connecting the elite men’s game to regional and suburban footy grounds, allowing fans the opportunity to see their heroes and new recruits up close before the premiership season begins,” AFL manager of clubs and broadcasting Travis Auld said.
“The regions hosting 2019 JLT Community Series matches highlight and align to the work JLT undertakes within the football community and experience shows us that football fans from all parts of the country embrace the pre-season matches, while players are able to return to communities that have played a big part in their careers.
“For example, Port Adelaide’s new recruit Sam Mayes will be due to play his first game for his new club in the town of his birth Port Pirie.”
All 18 JLT Community Series matches will be broadcast exclusively on Fox Footy.
2019 JLT COMMUNITY SERIES
WEEK 1
Thursday, February 28
Carlton v Essendon, Ikon Park 6.40pm
Friday, March 1
West Coast v Geelong, Leederville Oval 7.10pm
Saturday, March 2
North Melbourne v St Kilda, Avalon Airport Oval (Werribee) 1.10pm
Adelaide v Port Adelaide, The Memorial Oval (Port Pirie), 4.10pm
GWS Giants v Sydney, Blacktown 7.10pm
Sunday, March 3
Brisbane Lions v Hawthorn, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex 1.10pm
Richmond v Melbourne, Deakin Reserve (Shepparton) 4.40pm
Gold Coast v Western Bulldogs, Great Barrier Reef Arena (Mackay) 7.10pm
Monday, March 4
Fremantle v Melbourne, HBF Arena (Joondalup) 6.40pm
WEEK 2
Thursday, March 6
Geelong v Essendon, GMHBA Stadium 7.10pm
Friday, March 8
GWS v Adelaide, UNSW Canberra Oval 7.10pm
Saturday, March 9
Port Adelaide v North Melbourne, Alberton Oval 1.10pm
Melbourne v Brisbane Lions, Casey Fields 4.10pm
Hawthorn v Richmond, UTAS Stadium (Launceston) 7.10pm
Sunday, March 10
Sydney v Gold Coast, Oakes Oval (Lismore), 1.10pm
Western Bulldogs v St Kilda, Mars Stadium (Ballarat) 4.10pm
Fremantle v West Coast, Rushton Park (Mandurah) 7.10pm
Monday, March 11
Collingwood v Carlton, Morwell Recreation Reserve 2.10pm
All times EST

AFL Club
North Melb.
The 1939 World Series lasted a little over 7 hours. Shorter than this game.

View attachment 4664

WALK OFF HOME RUN.............................................we're back in this! :)

I have taken a bit of an interest in the Baseball since attending a Dodgers game (on 4th July) when in the US last year. One thing I cannot wrap my head around is the strategy in regard to subbing out pitchers. It seems so, random, knee-jerk and sub-optimal to me.

For example, I watched a replay of game 4 last night and Rich Hill pitches 6 innings for 1 hit and no runs to give the Dodgers a 4 run lead. They then sub him out and then rattle through 6 pitchers who give up 7 hits and 9 runs to lose by 3. Bizarre!!

Even more bizarre is that it just seems accepted practice and that decision attracts very little scrutiny.

btw I see Boston win game 5 and the World Series. Costly call I would have thought......

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
I have taken a bit of an interest in the Baseball since attending a Dodgers game (on 4th July) when in the US last year. One thing I cannot wrap my head around is the strategy in regard to subbing out pitchers. It seems so, random, knee-jerk and sub-optimal to me.

For example, I watched a replay of game 4 last night and Rich Hill pitches 6 innings for 1 hit and no runs to give the Dodgers a 4 run lead. They then sub him out and then rattle through 6 pitchers who give up 7 hits and 9 runs to lose by 3. Bizarre!!

Even more bizarre is that it just seems accepted practice and that decision attracts very little scrutiny.

btw I see Boston win game 5 and the World Series. Costly call I would have thought......
Pitch count plays a factor, though not in this case, when they get up towards 100 pitches and whether that is spread relatively even. One of new analytics observations is about the increase in hits/runs when pitching through the order for the third time. Managers then try and play match ups and/or force the other team to change their line up. The Dodgers strength is there starting pitching, so I'd have preferred we let the starters stay in the game longer. Our bullpen gave up too many runs and that cost us the Series. And the Dodger fan boards certainly scrutinise these decisions.

AFL Club
Sydney
I’ve been a Red Sox fan since living in Boston in 2009. What a team, pleased they turned regular season form into a championship.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
No more curse of the bambino then?

Moneyball reference. I have no idea about the curse!

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
No more curse of the bambino then?

Moneyball reference. I have no idea about the curse!
Long gone. The owner of the Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees in order to fund a play he was underwriting. They never won a World Series from that moment until 2004.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Pitch count plays a factor, though not in this case, when they get up towards 100 pitches and whether that is spread relatively even. One of new analytics observations is about the increase in hits/runs when pitching through the order for the third time. Managers then try and play match ups and/or force the other team to change their line up. The Dodgers strength is there starting pitching, so I'd have preferred we let the starters stay in the game longer. Our bullpen gave up too many runs and that cost us the Series. And the Dodger fan boards certainly scrutinise these decisions.
Thanks Klo. I am picking up on some of the theories but I just don’t agree with them. In simple terms I would have thought you hand the batting team a massive advantage every time you bring in a new pitcher.

I can just imagine the reaction you would get from a Dennis Lillee or a Shane Warne if the captain wandered up to him in a Test match needing 3 wickets with 10 overs to go and informed him he wasn’t bowling any more because the statistics suggest that tired bowlers get fewer wickets.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11...e-with-draftees-not-wanting-interstate-moves/
AFL Players Association president Paddy Dangerfield says he doesn’t like that draftees are telling clubs they don’t wish to move interstate.
This scenario entails a draftee telling an interstate club not to draft them as they don’t wish to leave home.

I disagree with Paddy, if a draftee really doesn't want to move interstate, then don't draft him, thank him for being honest.
Why would a club want a draftee who isn't happy being at the club. Surely he's not giving his best to the club if depressed. And as soon as an opportunity arrives to move, he leaves the club after all the work they put into him.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11...e-with-draftees-not-wanting-interstate-moves/
AFL Players Association president Paddy Dangerfield says he doesn’t like that draftees are telling clubs they don’t wish to move interstate.
This scenario entails a draftee telling an interstate club not to draft them as they don’t wish to leave home.

I disagree with Paddy, if a draftee really doesn't want to move interstate, then don't draft him, thank him for being honest.
Why would a club want a draftee who isn't happy being at the club. Surely he's not giving his best to the club if depressed. And as soon as an opportunity arrives to move, he leaves the club after all the work they put into him.
The problem lies with the fact that majority of AFL talent comes from Victoria. If the case were to prevail that draftees could indicate whether or not they would move state, 90% of the topend talent would end up playing for Victorian clubs.

If these kids want to play AFL, they nominate for the draft and be thankful that a club, any club, picks them. The support system for interstate players by most clubs is phenomenal these days and there really is no excuse for majority of them to dictate what state they will play in.

AFL Club
Collingwood
The problem lies with the fact that majority of AFL talent comes from Victoria. If the case were to prevail that draftees could indicate whether or not they would move state, 90% of the topend talent would end up playing for Victorian clubs.

If these kids want to play AFL, they nominate for the draft and be thankful that a club, any club, picks them. The support system for interstate players by most clubs is phenomenal these days and there really is no excuse for majority of them to dictate what state they will play in.
I still reckon that, if a draftee REALLY says he doesn't want to go interstate, then a Club should not draft them. It just sounds like poor judgement to me that a Club FORCES a draftee to go interstate.
I'm talking about the Draftees that REALLY don't want to go. Surely that is not 100% of all draftees? There would be Draftees that would join any club to play AFL, those are the ones that should be targeted by interstate Clubs, not targeting the disinterested draftees.