Discussion Random Facts and Youtube Clips

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
The walking banana tree one was actually on one of the very early series of QI. Anecdotely, there is evidence of some walking much more than 40cm in their life time.
The subway trip instead of walking 275m is actually not surprising, and I'm actually more surprised at how low the £105,000 figure is.
That equates to 105,000/365 = £287/day. Given a cost of around £3, that means only 90 tourists/day make this trip. When you are in a foreign city, you are much more likely to ride than walk a trip like this, as firstly, most aren't sure how far it is, and secondly, if you have a long day planned, the saved time and saved "legs" can be worth it!
It also rains 106 days a year in London!

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. 50M+? Think Poland has around that population from memory. Maybe, but I'll guess false.
2. A bit over 1km sounds plausible. I'll say true.
3. Sumo is very traditional, so this wouldn't surprise me. True.
4. I remember hearing about something like this previously. Guessing it's a trick on the year being one off that they like to do and will say false.
1. I’m guessing they have a lot, so I’m going with true.
2. Has anyone got Slartibartfast’s phone number? I’ll go with true again.
3. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was also true.
4. I’m going with false just because I answered true to everything else.
I’ll go T F T F.
I like that people are putting some explanation to their answers. I was going to do the same,

1. Poland around 40 million people, Japan around 125 million people. Hard to believe there is one vending machine for every 3 people in Japan, so my answer is FALSE.
. Some of those Fjords are ridiculously deep, The BK is just over 800m. So we're looking for a fjord around 1700m deep, so TRUE.
. I remember hearing something surprising about Sumo's previously, so while the chances are it isn't exactly this, I'll say TRUE.
. On face value this is ridiculous, so that leads me to want to say true, straight away. Then I remembered the Mexican's obsession with the dead, and that could easily lead to the Vatican doing such a thing, so again, TRUE.
Answers:

AFL Club
Hawthorn
3/4. Should have seen through the trick in the one I got wrong too, but fairly sure it would be close to being right for the depth.

Bit off on the population of Poland, couldn't remember it exactly and didn't look it up, just knew it was a bit more than Australia. I know Japan has a lot of vending machines, but couldn't see it being that high.

I'll get them all right one day!

AFL Club
Fremantle
I've been to the sumo in Tokyo and some of the wrestlers were on the train on the way there. The ex wrestlers also work at the venue. Imagine Ken Hunter checking your ticket as you entered the ground or John Platten selling you a bowl of chicken and rice!
If anyone is planning a trip to Japan and loves sport it is an absolute must. The highlight of my trip.