Which team wins a final first?

• Essendon

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 48 71.6%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Things sure have escalated these last 36 hours or so. I think it's just the start too.

I can't see round 1 of the AFL going ahead on Thursday. It's fine for the AFL to say they are doing everything to keep a full season now, it'll change. It just takes one player to get infected to prevent a whole team from playing. See what happened in the NBA - that has now impacted many other US sports, they have all pretty much been suspended within a 24 hour period. I fully expect something similar will happen here, and soon. I also don't see this being resolved within four weeks - it'll take at least 3 months to get things under control, maybe longer.

Peter Dutton getting infected will likely get the politicians more worried too and will hopefully make them realise they are not immune - I expect much stricter changes will be brought in over the weekend. Good idea to do so, should have been implemented much sooner.

The main thing is if people grew half a brain and isolated themselves if/when they got symptoms there wouldn't be so many cases. Half the people at my work already turn up no matter what and consequently they pass any colds/flu they get onto the rest of the office. Hopefully measures are implemented to stop that sort of thing. I expect most larger businesses (including mine) will be made to work flexibly where possible, and I'll have to work from home. Just a matter of when that gets implemented, not if it will.

I'm still of the opinion it's not something to be massively worried about in terms of the symptoms for most people. Seems it sucks, but it is a lot like the regular flu - most of the deaths are already sick and elderly people. Odds are a lot of people will catch it (due to our incompetent politicians and ineffective controls), but it's something most people will survive.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant from me. Hopefully everyone here survives this OK, including all your family and friends - I'm pretty sure for most of us that will be the case. It's a shame we are unlikely to have live sport to keep us all entertained as we are all isolated at home in coming weeks/months, but it will all get better eventually.

Current status: Not yet :sick:

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Things sure have escalated these last 36 hours or so. I think it's just the start too.

I can't see round 1 of the AFL going ahead on Thursday. It's fine for the AFL to say they are doing everything to keep a full season now, it'll change. It just takes one player to get infected to prevent a whole team from playing. See what happened in the NBA - that has now impacted many other US sports, they have all pretty much been suspended within a 24 hour period. I fully expect something similar will happen here, and soon. I also don't see this being resolved within four weeks - it'll take at least 3 months to get things under control, maybe longer.

Peter Dutton getting infected will likely get the politicians more worried too and will hopefully make them realise they are not immune - I expect much stricter changes will be brought in over the weekend. Good idea to do so, should have been implemented much sooner.

The main thing is if people grew half a brain and isolated themselves if/when they got symptoms there wouldn't be so many cases. Half the people at my work already turn up no matter what and consequently they pass any colds/flu they get onto the rest of the office. Hopefully measures are implemented to stop that sort of thing. I expect most larger businesses (including mine) will be made to work flexibly where possible, and I'll have to work from home. Just a matter of when that gets implemented, not if it will.

I'm still of the opinion it's not something to be massively worried about in terms of the symptoms for most people. Seems it sucks, but it is a lot like the regular flu - most of the deaths are already sick and elderly people. Odds are a lot of people will catch it (due to our incompetent politicians and ineffective controls), but it's something most people will survive.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant from me. Hopefully everyone here survives this OK, including all your family and friends - I'm pretty sure for most of us that will be the case. It's a shame we are unlikely to have live sport to keep us all entertained as we are all isolated at home in coming weeks/months, but it will all get better eventually.

Current status: Not yet :sick:
It is an interesting time.

I am one of the guilty ones who tends to turn up to work no matter what as I “don’t like letting the team down”. However, this time I will prevent myself from doing so at the first sign of any cold like symptoms. Fortunately for me, working full time and my historical stubbornness means that I have plenty of sick leave - a luxury not available to others.

Also, I work in local government and we are being prepared for working from home if required - another luxury not available to others. However, I am not sure what happens if we hit crisis point and government workers will actually be required on the ground?

I am fortunate, and my heart goes out to those struggling with their small business losing business or casual workers who can’t work and won’t get paid. Also those who provide our essential services or work directly with more vulnerable people whose jobs won’t allow them to work from home.

I am finding it hard to fathom that one of our nation’s most senior ministers has been diagnosed with COVID-19 yet the rest of Cabinet are currently saying they won’t isolate themselves and our PM is refusing to be tested. They are probably doing it to keep an image that they are doing the tough yards to continue to work through this - but what about the person they could potentially infect who will then unknowingly infect others more vulnerable than themselves?

Some probably feel that it is all a bit Chicken Little, but would they feel the same if they lose someone near and dear to them?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is an interesting time.

I am one of the guilty ones who tends to turn up to work no matter what as I “don’t like letting the team down”. However, this time I will prevent myself from doing so at the first sign of any cold like symptoms. Fortunately for me, working full time and my historical stubbornness means that I have plenty of sick leave - a luxury not available to others.

Also, I work in local government and we are being prepared for working from home if required - another luxury not available to others. However, I am not sure what happens if we hit crisis point and government workers will actually be required on the ground?

I am fortunate, and my heart goes out to those struggling with their small business losing business or casual workers who can’t work and won’t get paid. Also those who provide our essential services or work directly with more vulnerable people whose jobs won’t allow them to work from home.

I am finding it hard to fathom that one of our nation’s most senior ministers has been diagnosed with COVID-19 yet the rest of Cabinet are currently saying they won’t isolate themselves and our PM is refusing to be tested. They are probably doing it to keep an image that they are doing the tough yards to continue to work through this - but what about the person they could potentially infect who will then unknowingly infect others more vulnerable than themselves?

Some probably feel that it is all a bit Chicken Little, but would they feel the same if they lose someone near and dear to them?
Seems to be a theme - neither Trump or Boris want to get tested either. Good chance Trump would test positive.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Pretty sure we are all prolonging the enivitable. Certainly feel like I'm wasting my time looking at my SC team, won't see the course through is my gut feel.

If it does, will be the coach in the right place at the right time. Team's will be isolated for 14 days within the next few weeks and it won't be just teams, it'll be administrative, football departments, media, cooks, cleaners and everyone.

Empty your lockers fellas - she's all over for 2020.

AFL Club
Collingwood
The news also mentioned that the AFL noted there were 'two bye rounds, a bye before the finals and two weeks after the GF before cricket is played'. Make of it what you will.
ICC demand a 21 day clear window before events , the T20 World Cup starts exactly 21 days after the Grand Final

EDIT

The first game at the MCG is not to the 25th October though so maybe a possibility for a week's grace.

Group stage is from the 18-23 at Kardinia Park & Bellerive

Last edited:

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty sure we are all prolonging the enivitable. Certainly feel like I'm wasting my time looking at my SC team, won't see the course through is my gut feel.

If it does, will be the coach in the right place at the right time. Team's will be isolated for 14 days within the next few weeks and it won't be just teams, it'll be administrative, football departments, media, cooks, cleaners and everyone.

Empty your lockers fellas - she's all over for 2020.
I think you’re right mate. I’m no coding expert but presumably it is not an easy task to make changes to a comp this size on the fly, especially if there are major fixture changes which looks likely.

It’s a shame really, this SC year was shaping as a good one.

AFL Club
Collingwood
North Melbourne expecting a 3% drop in season supporter attendance should the AFL impement a closed game policy for 2020/
When I was living in Sydney , used drink with a guy who had worked in admin at North Melbourne.

Apparently as soon as one person attended a game at Marvel (or whatever it was called back then) they actually lost money , due to what they had to pay out for security , parking , food , beverages etc etc.

Unless they reached something like 90% of attendances they wouldn't make a profit , so we're financially better off playing in a closed stadium.

AFL Club
Collingwood
This!
Australia's response will and should escalate quickly. And should have done before now.
Should've just closed the borders a month ago.

Anyone arriving is tested , isloated and then placed into quarantine for a 14 day period if applicable.

Stop the potential threat of it spreading from the outset

Last edited: