Which team wins a final first?

• Essendon

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 44 69.8%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
Zach Merrett has been handed a one-match ban for his rib-punch on Carlton's Jack Silvagni............

------------------------------------------

Jack Silvagni
@jacksilvagni

........... Incidents like that happen 20-30 times a game. He hit a sweet spot and outcome is just unlucky, no malicious intent whatsoever.

2:26 PM · Jun 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

----------------------------------------

I don't understand why the AFL doesn't stamp that sort of behavior out of the game???
It's a bad image.
It sets a poor example to junior footballers.
It's un-sportsmanship.
It's a form of cheating (to intentionally injure your opponent to slow him down).
It's cowardly.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Zach Merrett has been handed a one-match ban for his rib-punch on Carlton's Jack Silvagni............

Jack Silvagni
@jacksilvagni

........... Incidents like that happen 20-30 times a game. He hit a sweet spot and outcome is just unlucky, no malicious intent whatsoever.

I don't understand why the AFL doesn't stamp that sort of behavior out of the game???
It's a bad image.
It's un-sportsmanship.
It's a form of cheating (to intentionally injure your opponent to slow him down).
It's cowardly.
I am 100% positive they issued a statement at the start of last season that they were going to jump all over it and stamp it out , obviously not.

Start paying free kicks and players might get the message.

Also thought a player actually had to dispose of the ball correctly too when tackled , but that has obviously changed too.

Umpire the game to the rules and stop waiting to nominate ruckman all the time , get on with the game and congestion will stop.

AFL Club
Essendon

Jack Silvagni
@jacksilvagni

It's a bad image.
It's un-sportsmanship.
It's cowardly.
So let me get this right, you believe that Merrett intentionally injured Silvagni to slow him down?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AFL Club
Collingwood
So let me get this right, you believe that Merrett intentionally injured Silvagni to slow him down?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I didn't say Merrett intentionally tried to injure Silvagni.
I don't believe that it is in Merrett's nature to intentionally hurt an opponent.

Why do you think, 20 to 30, rib punching goes on during an AFL game?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
2-3 Weeks for Fyfe's hamstring should do it haha'

I do agree now is the time for the vic clubs to jump out now and keep the comp going
Imagine if they just got the 8 interstate teams to keep playing each other and kept the 10 Victorian teams in Victoria to play each other ?

I think I have read every state mentioned as a possible hub the last few days maybe just send them all to NZ.

AFL Club
Essendon
I don't believe that it is in Merrett's nature to intentionally hurt an opponent.

You put pressure on the player with the ball, and it rarely looks dissimilar to what we witnessed with Merrett. As Silvagni said, it hit a sweet spot. I figured it must have because I wouldn't have batted an eyelid until they started talking suspension.

I feel like a tool commenting on this as a passionate Dons fan, but I would like to think I would feel the same if the roles were reversed and it was Merrett that wound up injured. I still can't believe it resulted in a suspension - that is a flawed system that takes more notice of medical reports and resultant injuries than actual vision and analysis of injuries.

There are a couple of suspensions every season that make you think 'gee whiz, our game has gotten soft' and this one is no different.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was a soft suspension, no different to multiple other gut punches every match, just unlucky Silvagni got hurt from this one. Hopefully it leads to change for the better, but I doubt it.

I don't like seeing these punches / taps / whatever you want to call them, but now either all are worth a suspension (which will rub out half the comp each round), or more realistically they be worthy of a free against (which I thought they should have been anyway). That would cut them back pretty dramatically and quickly if the umpires did start paying any they see as frees.

AFL Club
Collingwood
You put pressure on the player with the ball, and it rarely looks dissimilar to what we witnessed with Merrett. As Silvagni said, it hit a sweet spot. I figured it must have because I wouldn't have batted an eyelid until they started talking suspension.

I feel like a tool commenting on this as a passionate Dons fan, but I would like to think I would feel the same if the roles were reversed and it was Merrett that wound up injured. I still can't believe it resulted in a suspension - that is a flawed system that takes more notice of medical reports and resultant injuries than actual vision and analysis of injuries.

There are a couple of suspensions every season that make you think 'gee whiz, our game has gotten soft' and this one is no different.
A rib punch is not the same as putting pressure on a player.

If making the AFL games more 'soft', (by eliminating illegal tactics), to reduce injuries to players, then I am all for it.

AFL Club
Essendon

That was Jack Silvangi saying that it happens that many times a game.

Jack Silvagni

@jacksilvagni

·
Jun 29

Shame to see Zach get a week. Incidents like that happen 20-30 times a game. He hit a sweet spot and outcome is just unlucky, no malicious intent whatsoever.

(If you're playing Sam Mitchell, the numbers would be doubled.:sneaky:)

Last edited:
AFL Club
Fremantle

I agree you with you about punishing the action. Punishing the effect is very inconsistent.
And even though it's frowned upon nowadays I also don't mind if two players decide to go toe to toe.
But there was nothing tough about what Merrett did. Just because you have the ball doesn't mean you deserve to be punched.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Does anyone else think the price rise after 2 games was an unnecessary knee jerk reaction?
I'm not enjoying it.
In my View.
I don't mind it because I see most rookies are out after 2-3 games atm. Might not have any price rises on most rookies if they did and alot more 1 price rise. Probably would have 2-3 Donut rounds with the premo carnage that has happened so far.
27 Debutants(1 less game) at round 4 this year compared to 29 of 2019.