Discussion Golf Discussion

AFL Club
St Kilda
Already done, thanks.

Hopefully you do get a few more interested for when next season kicks off, I definitely recommend having a go at this practice round for anyone interested, to see how the scoring works etc. Only 30 in the field in this tournament, so it shouldn't be too tough to pick at least one who'll do OK, even for someone with minimal golf knowledge like myself.
Looks like just you and me for the Tour Championship, if the SCS League turns out to be a dud through lack of interest, you could always join any leagues in there with Aussie in them, I joined one called Aussie Hackers. I'll drop a few more reminders in to join up when it's getting closer to kicking the new season off. :)

Looks like just you and me for the Tour Championship, if the SCS League turns out to be a dud through lack of interest, you could always join any leagues in there with Aussie in them, I joined one called Aussie Hackers. I'll drop a few more reminders in to join up when it's getting closer to kicking the new season off. :)
Apologies. Had a massive work week and clearly stuffed up. Looked briefly on Tuesday and my roster was full, so thought it rolled over. Just logged in to check my scores and roster was empty and no way to fill for Rd 2 :(

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cheers. I appreciate the effort in trying to bring a new competition to the site, I'm a bit surprised this one wasn't more popular, as there seems to be a few golf fans here (plus others like me who will give any sport a go). Hopefully there's more interest in the new season.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Apologies. Had a massive work week and clearly stuffed up. Looked briefly on Tuesday and my roster was full, so thought it rolled over. Just logged in to check my scores and roster was empty and no way to fill for Rd 2 :(
No drama Frosty it's only for practice anyway, yeah have to enter new roster for each tournament, if you scroll down the rules you can see how the segments are spaced out and at the bottom is the schedule for the whole season.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Cheers. I appreciate the effort in trying to bring a new competition to the site, I'm a bit surprised this one wasn't more popular, as there seems to be a few golf fans here (plus others like me who will give any sport a go). Hopefully there's more interest in the new season.
Even if we could end up with 10 or so that'd still be fun, I'd say to be safe too, make picks on the Wednesday cause we're 10 hours difference to America.

AFL Club
West Coast
Aussie stars Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman join LIV Golf Series

The controversial LIV Golf Series has claimed its biggest scalp with Australian world number two Cameron Smith joining up.

Australian superstar Cameron Smith has officially joined the controversial LIV Golf Series along with fellow Aussie Marc Leishman.

The rumours have circled Smith over the past month regarding his defection to join the Saudi-backed series and on Tuesday it was announced.

Smith, the current world number two becomes the highest ranking PGA player to walk away and sign up with the new start up.

Currently headed up by Australian golfing icon Greg Norman, Smith’s signature is the biggest scalp since the Series kicked off.

Rumours of Smith’s defection back shortly after he saluted his British Open victory, he continually declined to speak on the rumours.

The signing of Smith lands Norman the first player inside the PGA Tour’s top 10 rankings to make the switch.

Smith joins the likes of Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau to follow the millions on offer to join the LIV Golf Series.

Rumours swirled shortly after the British Open that Smith had agreed to a staggering $140AUD million deal to depart the PGA Tour.

The next event on the table for the LIV tour takes place this weekend in Boston at The International Golf Club with $35 million up for grabs.

Aussie golfer Cameron Percy announced Smith and Leishman were set to join the financially lucrative LIV Golf Series in early August.
“Unfortunate, yeah, they’re gone,” Percy told RSN radio.

Those remarks drew the ire of Smith.

“You know, my goal here is to win the FedEx Cup playo***. That’s all I’m here for,” Smith said. “If there’s something I need to say regarding the PGA Tour or LIV, it’ll come from Cameron Smith, not Cameron Percy.

“I’m a man of my word and whenever you guys need to know anything, it’ll be said by me.”

According to the UK Telegraph reports earlier in the month, Smith signed a deal worth more than $AUD140 million and will be playing at the upcoming event in Boston.

The eye-watering prizemoney on offer along with the 54-hole format has attracted some of the biggest names in golf to join the series.

Smith and Leishman are expected to be among multiple names announced as the latest to sign on ahead of this weekend’s event.

Just wondering how much interest there might be in joining a PGA Tour Fantasy League I'm thinking of starting for the new season which starts a couple of weeks after the Fedex Cup Playo*** are over and done.
If you're not sure how it all works check out the rules format on this link https://fantasygolf.pgatour.com/
It's pretty easy, just picking 4 players and 2 bench players each tournament.
So basically looking for expressions of interest to join, it'd be nice to have at least 20 or so who are keen. The league will be on the main PGA Tour site but updates and results will be updated here by me each week.
Cheers peeps let me know if you're keen.
Russ
Interested

The controversial LIV Golf Series has claimed its biggest scalp with Australian world number two Cameron Smith joining up.

Australian superstar Cameron Smith has officially joined the controversial LIV Golf Series along with fellow Aussie Marc Leishman.

The rumours have circled Smith over the past month regarding his defection to join the Saudi-backed series and on Tuesday it was announced.

Smith, the current world number two becomes the highest ranking PGA player to walk away and sign up with the new start up.

Currently headed up by Australian golfing icon Greg Norman, Smith’s signature is the biggest scalp since the Series kicked off.

Rumours of Smith’s defection back shortly after he saluted his British Open victory, he continually declined to speak on the rumours.

The signing of Smith lands Norman the first player inside the PGA Tour’s top 10 rankings to make the switch.

Smith joins the likes of Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau to follow the millions on offer to join the LIV Golf Series.

Rumours swirled shortly after the British Open that Smith had agreed to a staggering $140AUD million deal to depart the PGA Tour.

The next event on the table for the LIV tour takes place this weekend in Boston at The International Golf Club with $35 million up for grabs.

Aussie golfer Cameron Percy announced Smith and Leishman were set to join the financially lucrative LIV Golf Series in early August.

“You know, my goal here is to win the FedEx Cup playo***. That’s all I’m here for,” Smith said. “If there’s something I need to say regarding the PGA Tour or LIV, it’ll come from Cameron Smith, not Cameron Percy.

“I’m a man of my word and whenever you guys need to know anything, it’ll be said by me.”

According to the UK Telegraph reports earlier in the month, Smith signed a deal worth more than $AUD140 million and will be playing at the upcoming event in Boston.

The eye-watering prizemoney on offer along with the 54-hole format has attracted some of the biggest names in golf to join the series.

Smith and Leishman are expected to be among multiple names announced as the latest to sign on ahead of this weekend’s event.
Smith
Leish
Niemann
Varner 3
Tringale

AFL Club
St Kilda

That's a shame about Smith, Leishman I can understand the money grab as he's probably in the twilight of his career. I think Smith was worth about ten million plus after winning the Open and the Players this year but 140 million?...that's just crazy and sets his family up for life, even if he did his back in or loses his swing somehow he could still buy his own Island.
Not good to see the players we've become used to seeing defect to a different tour but I guess the upside is we get to see more newer rookies coming through to replace the Liv guys. I wonder if the Liv players really know where all that Saudi money is coming from or if there's any blood on it.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
That's a shame about Smith, Leishman I can understand the money grab as he's probably in the twilight of his career. I think Smith was worth about ten million plus after winning the Open and the Players this year but 140 million?...that's just crazy and sets his family up for life, even if he did his back in or loses his swing somehow he could still buy his own Island.
Not good to see the players we've become used to seeing defect to a different tour but I guess the upside is we get to see more newer rookies coming through to replace the Liv guys. I wonder if the Liv players really know where all that Saudi money is coming from or if there's any blood on it.

Do you have any issues with the USA PGA Tour destroying domestic tours world wide (like the Austalasian Tour) over the last few decades?

Their sub tour (Korn Ferry) adds to the destruction of domestic tours.

At least the European tour tries to involve those domestic tours to grow golf.

USA PGA Tour does not grow golf world wide.

AFL Club
Sydney
Do you have any issues with the USA PGA Tour destroying domestic tours world wide (like the Austalasian Tour) over the last few decades?

Their sub tour (Korn Ferry) adds to the destruction of domestic tours.

At least the European tour tries to involve those domestic tours to grow golf.

USA PGA Tour does not grow golf world wide.
I tend to agree, and I think the challenges made about sportwashing (fair I think) aren't really in good faith given how the PGA act.

I can't blame anyone for not turning down 140m to play golf.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was pretty sure the rumours about this would be true, it's why I included Smith in fantasy this week, expecting it would be the last time I could choose him (even if I had him on the bench). It ended up you also selected the other 5 players I did for the final event, so unsurprisingly it was close - I also considered benching McIlroy after Rd 2 like you did, glad I didn't.

I agree with the last few posts - golf has been far too US centric and if someone offered me $140M to play golf, there's no way I'd knock that back. Give it a few years and I think this will likely strengthen the game overall, and have more of a world tour, rather than 95+% of events in one country in the major competition.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi guys just a reminder the new season has rolled over for PGA Tour Fantasy Comp kicking off with the Fortinet Championship (formerly the Safeway Open) on Sept 16th.
You can't quite select your rosters yet as the field hasn't been finalized yet, that'll probably take a few more days.
Feel free to join SCS Golf League if you'd like to have a go....on this link

https://fantasygolf.pgatour.com/leagues/17281?join_token=AF9FF7EE6C

Click on Rules in the menu and you'll be able to see how it works with the segments and view the full season's schedule by scrolling down.

AFL Club
St Kilda
To anyone who's already in the SCS Golf League, ( PGA Tour Fantasy), it's now open to make your picks for the 1st round of the new season.
Anyone else who would like to give it a go, feel free to join on the link above :)

AFL Club
St Kilda
This is a lot harder then it was for the FedEx cup...who are all these guys :)
Haha, I don't know alot of them either mate, it can be a real crapshoot picking 6 guys or at least 4 to play 4 rounds, sometimes you won't and you'll fall behind but other times you'll forge ahead. What I normally do is try to do a bit of research by searching for eg" Fortinet championship past results", go through the last 2 or 3 years and see who maybe finished in the top 20 or so. So you're looking for guys who A: have played it for the last few years at least and B: who didn't miss the cut.
Good luck Frosty

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Entered. That was interesting with a lot of the bigger names not playing this event. Definitely haven't heard of a lot of those players, just picked most of my players at random from the top 50 or so favourites.

Seems a good time for anyone to enter and have a go - looks like a wide open event, so even those with zero golf knowledge won't be at a disadvantage. Being the start of the season makes it an especially good time to join!

AFL Club
St Kilda
Entered. That was interesting with a lot of the bigger names not playing this event. Definitely haven't heard of a lot of those players, just picked most of my players at random from the top 50 or so favourites.

Seems a good time for anyone to enter and have a go - looks like a wide open event, so even those with zero golf knowledge won't be at a disadvantage. Being the start of the season makes it an especially good time to join!
Cheers Ironhawk, yeah hope a few more join, it'd be good to have ten or so. The only commitment needed is getting your squad picked before the tournament starts and then checking to see who made the cut. We should bump this thread a few times before tomorrow ends and hopefully get a few more :)