Who will win?

• West Coast

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
have they announced who is presenting the Premiers Cup , Norm Smith Medal and Jock McHale Medal ?

Next thing people will want them renamed :)

AFL Club
Collingwood
MLB, NHL, NBA... just to name a few all award the Highest finishing teamthe home GF rights.

The AFL GF date is locked in at the end of the previous year, I imagine the NBA, NHL & MLB leagues put a hold on the venue until it becomes clear who is going to make it, Not hard to do I don't think.
So how many venues were you planning to put on hold, and when do you put them on hold? You can't possibly hold all 8 finals' teams home venues right?... Even if you do manage to sort out this "holding process", were you planning to help AFL finance the unnecessary expenditure o f reserving all these venues?

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
MLB, NHL, NBA... just to name a few all award the Highest finishing teamthe home GF rights.

The AFL GF date is locked in at the end of the previous year, I imagine the NBA, NHL & MLB leagues put a hold on the venue until it becomes clear who is going to make it, Not hard to do I don't think.
Each of those are seven game series (played home and away), so in theory, more people can attend. Yet the venue size would suggest otherwise. Are you suggesting a best of three Final series?

The All Ireland Football and Hurling is always played at Croke Park and the English FA Cup at Wembley.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
My own personal view is the Grand Final should be played at the MCG for the simple reason that I believe the event would be significantly diminished if it wasn’t. However I do understand (and probably agree with) the argument that it is unfair in principle on the Non-Victorian to travel to play the GF at the MCG against a lower qualified opponent particularly when it is a tenant of the ground as will happen this week.

At the risk of muddying the waters further after those two apparently contradictory statements I also have a theory that playing the GF at the MCG does not provide any observable advantage to the Victorian based team anyway. If it did then you would expect to see that reflected in the GF results however an analysis of the results reveals the following.

In the 27 years from 1991 when Haw beat WC (at Waverley) there have been 16 grand finals played between Victorian and Non-Victorian teams with the results going 8 each way. Interestedly it was 8-3 in favour of the Non- Victorian team after 2012 but the Victorian team has won the last 5 in a row. Now I suspect that 27 years is probably still too small a sample size to be definitive but it doesn’t exactly destroy my theory either.

Finally it should not be lost that if you subscribe to the view that the Non-Victorian team is disadvantaged by having to play a Melbourne based team in Melb, then the current policy does actually benefit the Non-Victorian when they are the lower ranked qualifier against another Non-Victorian team and avoid having to play at that team’s home ground. Whilst that has only happened 3 times to date; statistically, as the newer non-Victorian teams mature, that should happen more frequently. With 8 non-Victorian teams, when a Non-Victorian team qualifies for the GF there should be a 7 in 17 (41%) chance that the other team is also Non-Victorian.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Is the AFL Fixture a fair and even schedule?

Do non MCG tenants have a favourable schedule over non MCG tenaants?

Do non Victorian teams have a favourable schedule over Victorian teams by playing 12 interstate games per year and then playing a number of games at the MCG?

Is the "Finals Bye" a larger skewer of outcomes than the Final/Grand Final fixtures?

11 out of 28 AFL Premierships have been won by a non-Victorian teams. Name an interstate loser who was "so close yet was so far" due to having to travel?

At the end of the day, the players are trying to get paid as much as the can get, the coaches likewise and the residual gets down to the grass roots after the gravy train.

Last edited:

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Now let's consider every sponsor,every club and every other group associated with the AFL who funnels money (back and forth). The venue aint moving within a week.

This hasn't even considered the logistics of the airlines and hotels, who have non refundable costs.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Just realised Brodie Grundy was actually the #1 supercoach player of the year, narrowly beating Gawn and Mitchell

33 points jump from 97 average to 130 average @ 22 games

12/22 games 130+ points
18/22 games 110+ points
22/22 games 95+ points

It would take some extraodinary coaching to contain Grundy with just Lycett and Vardy

AFL Club
Collingwood
Just realised Brodie Grundy was actually the #1 supercoach player of the year, narrowly beating Gawn and Mitchell

33 points jump from 97 average to 130 average @ 22 games

12/22 games 130+ points
18/22 games 110+ points
22/22 games 95+ points

It would take some extraodinary coaching to contain Grundy with just Lycett and Vardy
Amazing watching Grundy follow up his own ruck work at ground level and link up around the ground.

Said to someone years ago that he will end up as good as Dean Cox was.

suspect Lycett/Vardy will be instructed to try and drag him inside their forward 50 at every opportunity.

With only Goldy , Howe and Langdon we are going to be stretched big time.

Think Moore or Reid will come in for Aish.

Hopefully Grundy can get into our Forward 50 and cause problems as well.

Mayne & Mihocek become important again and must make McGovern and Barasss accountable.

Cox needs to keep moving , leading and jumping for the ball like last week.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazing watching Grundy follow up his own ruck work at ground level and link up around the ground.

Said to someone years ago that he will end up as good as Dean Cox was.

suspect Lycett/Vardy will be instructed to try and drag him inside their forward 50 at every opportunity.

With only Goldy , Howe and Langdon we are going to be stretched big time.

Think Moore or Reid will come in for Aish.

Hopefully Grundy can get into our Forward 50 and cause problems as well.

Mayne & Mihocek become important again and must make McGovern and Barasss accountable.

Cox needs to keep moving , leading and jumping for the ball like last week.
It's predicted to rain on the weekend apparently. Think we will go in unchanged

But I do agree Moore should come in for Aish and swing between KPD/KPF/even ruck

AFL Club
Collingwood
.......................With only Goldy , Howe and Langdon we are going to be stretched big time.

Think Moore or Reid will come in for Aish………………..
……….But I do agree Moore should come in for Aish and swing between KPD/KPF/even ruck
3 times this year Moore couldn't finish a game through injury. If the Pies were the underdogs, then maybe he would be worth a risk, but as favourites, I don't think they need to gamble.

I really don't see enough games, but wasn't Reid a really good defender once? But again, why gamble if he won't be match fit?

AFL Club
Collingwood
3 times this year Moore couldn't finish a game through injury. If the Pies were the underdogs, then maybe he would be worth a risk, but as favourites, I don't think they need to gamble.

I really don't see enough games, but wasn't Reid a really good defender once? But again, why gamble if he won't be match fit?
I think if Moore wasn't at risk at finishing a game he'd be top 18 on our list. However we're also gambling that someone like Langdon/Howe can hold up against genuine key position sized players by not playing Moore, it's risky either way.

AFL Club
Collingwood

who takes Vardy (1.99) then ?

Crisp 1.90
Langdon 1.89
Maynard 1.86
Aish 1.84
Greenwood 1.81

Kennedy 1.94 & Darling 1.91 could be enough of a handful for Goldsack 1.93 & Howe 1.90 who must be under a injury cloud.

Maybe Mihocek 1.92 or Mayne 1.88 could go back.

Pendles is 1.91 so another option.

Moore is 1.99 & Reid is 1.95 , Reid was a All Australian defender years ago but Bucks likes him forward.

Grand Finals are hard to win , sometimes you need to take a risk to win it.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Crisp 1.90
Langdon 1.89
Maynard 1.86
Aish 1.84
Greenwood 1.81

Kennedy 1.94 & Darling 1.91 could be enough of a handful for Goldsack 1.93 & Howe 1.90 who must be under a injury cloud.

Moore is 1.99 & Reid is 1.95 , Reid was a All Australian defender years ago but Bucks likes him forward.

RE: who takes Vardy (1.99) then ?
Cox? :)

Are the Eagles too top heavy, maybe it may be their undoing, especially if it is wet?
If the Pies can restrict the ball going into the Eagles forward, by having more mobile players midfield/forward, then the Eagles talls, in the Forward line, won't see as much of the ball. Advantage Pies.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Crisp 1.90
Langdon 1.89
Maynard 1.86
Aish 1.84
Greenwood 1.81

RE: who takes Vardy (1.99) then ?
Cox? :)

Are the Eagles too top heavy, maybe it may be their undoing, especially if it is wet?
If the Pies can restrict the ball going into the Eagles forward, by having more mobile players midfield/forward, then the Eagles talls, in the Forward line, won't see as much of the ball. Advantage Pies.
wishful thinking I think

best kicking/marking team in the comp
would be a lot happier having Moore/Reid in the side even more so with doubts on Howe

but yes our mids need to put their mids under pressure to affect F50 entries

West Coast have been playing 2 rucks all season so definitely not too tall.

Guess we will have to await Thursday's teams to see what Bucks is thinking.

maybe Moore will play the game of his life and win Normie.

AFL Club
Collingwood
wishful thinking I think

best kicking/marking team in the comp
would be a lot happier having Moore/Reid in the side even more so with doubts on Howe

but yes our mids need to put their mids under pressure to affect F50 entries

West Coast have been playing 2 rucks all season so definitely not too tall.

Guess we will have to await Thursday's teams to see what Bucks is thinking.

maybe Moore will play the game of his life and win Normie.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/j...s/news-story/708794df706ea07e185eaf35e494e7b7
The high-flying defender (Howe) admitted he dodged a bullet given the nature of Friday night’s incident.
“I think it had the potential to be a serious injury with that movement but scans ended up clearing me of any major damage,” he said.
“That probably put my mind at ease.
“It’s just a matter of getting a bit of the swelling out of the ankle and getting the mobility and movement back.”
……..”It will be fine if there’s a little bit of pain … it’s nothing an injection won’t help...…….."

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/j...s/news-story/708794df706ea07e185eaf35e494e7b7
The high-flying defender (Howe) admitted he dodged a bullet given the nature of Friday night’s incident.
“I think it had the potential to be a serious injury with that movement but scans ended up clearing me of any major damage,” he said.
“It’s just a matter of getting a bit of the swelling out of the ankle and getting the mobility and movement back.”
……..”It will be fine if there’s a little bit of pain … it’s nothing an injection won’t help...…….."
hopefully he trains Thursday

AFL Club
Collingwood

AFL Club
Collingwood
Just looking back , Blair , Brown , Magden , Reid were the 4 Emergencies on Friday night.

Forgot all about Magden , debuted on Buddy so a Grand Final should be a walk in the park :)

Stands at 1.92 as well.