Who will win?

• West Coast

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
like I said to lavenderbandit yesterday so if Gold Coast and GWS ever finish highest ranked people would be happy playing the Grand Final at Metricon or Showgrounds ?

Geelong should host the Grand Final at Kardinia Park ?

Besides most of these interstate sides decided to join the VFL.

Maybe if other cities had stadiums with 90,000+ capacity they could move it around similar to the NFL.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Winner: pies by 22
Most disposals: Taylor Adams, 32 disposals
Most goals: JJk/ De Goey both with 3
Norm Smith: Brodie Grundy

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
like I said to lavenderbandit yesterday so if Gold Coast and GWS ever finish highest ranked people would be happy playing the Grand Final at Metricon or Showgrounds ?

Geelong should host the Grand Final at Kardinia Park ?

Besides most of these interstate sides decided to join the VFL.

Maybe if other cities had stadiums with 90,000+ capacity they could move it around similar to the NFL.
No arguments here. I think the fact that there aren’t other grounds capable of holding anywhere near as many is the problem, but for Aussie rules to truly be a national sport, that’s what we need to strive for.

It makes you wonder why any Aussie rules ground that goes up doesn’t hold 70-80k, which would be enough to justify it being held away from the G imo.

AFL Club
Collingwood
No arguments here. I think the fact that there aren’t other grounds capable of holding anywhere near as many is the problem, but for Aussie rules to truly be a national sport, that’s what we need to strive for.

It makes you wonder why any Aussie rules ground that goes up doesn’t hold 70-80k, which would be enough to justify it being held away from the G imo.
I think even if Adelaide Oval was 70-80k it would not be full every week , even now every games is not a full crowd , perhaps if they made ticket prices , food and drink etc you would get more people attending.

But then what else do they use the grounds for to get maximum crowds , cricket wouldn't attract it , even the Boxing Day Test crowds drop away days 3-5.

I don't think our population in our capital cities is big enough to justify massive stadiums.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies win don't really care the margin as long as we win , actually blow them away early so I don't have a heart attack :)
Tay Tay time to win the Norm Smith
and Cox to kick 10

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I think even if Adelaide Oval was 70-80k it would not be full every week , even now every games is not a full crowd , perhaps if they made ticket prices , food and drink etc you would get more people attending.

But then what else do they use the grounds for to get maximum crowds , cricket wouldn't attract it , even the Boxing Day Test crowds drop away days 3-5.

I don't think our population in our capital cities is big enough to justify massive stadiums.
But does it need to be full or do the grounds need to fit 100k? NFL grounds are about 80k and European soccer fields are about 50-70k so 100k is definitely at the higher end of the scale, and I don’t think the NFL or euro soccer leagues are struggling for coin, although they do charge quite a bit more for tickets!

Its probably a very simplistic way of looking at it but 55k through the gates at capacity and 55k in a 100k ground brings the same revenue (barring some additional staff costs) but you would definitely stand to make more overall for blockbusters/showdowns and/or if you remodelled your ticket/food/drink pricing. Family days where kids get in for free is a good initiative they have here as well, which could be a strategy to fill seats for quieter games.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
But does it need to be full or do the grounds need to fit 100k? NFL grounds are about 80k and European soccer fields are about 50-70k so 100k is definitely at the higher end of the scale, and I don’t think the NFL or euro soccer leagues are struggling for coin, although they do charge quite a bit more for tickets!

Its probably a very simplistic way of looking at it but 55k through the gates at capacity and 55k in a 100k ground brings the same revenue (barring some additional staff costs) but you would definitely stand to make more overall for blockbusters/showdowns and/or if you remodelled your ticket/food/drink pricing. Family days where kids get in for free is a good initiative they have here as well, which could be a strategy to fill seats for quieter games.
I have no idea to be honest , I remember years ago talking to a guy from NM and he said they actually made $$$ if no one attended Etihad and then needed 30,000 just to break even when you factor in costs for security , catering , parking , media etc etc.

Depends on contracts and arrangements etc etc.

Maybe the G is too big , I wonder what the average crowd is per season.

So perhaps 55,000 - 60,000 is the is ideal size.

Outside of 22 games though , these stadiums are empty aside from cricket , concerts , the odd NRL , Union , soccer , concerts so somehow they need to make revenue to cover costs.

Be curious to see the figures for Port and Freo and Etihad average crowd.

But yeah start making it cheaper so more people can attend.

AFL Club
Collingwood
MCG average 53,608 for 45 H & A games.

Perth Stadium 46,893 from 23 H & A games.

Gabba 17,377 from 12 H & A.

Docklands 28,704 from 45 H & A.

maybe we need smaller , boutique stadiums

AFL Club
North Melb.
I don’t know if this has ever been done but I suspect that if you surveyed the Non-Victorian players as to whether they would prefer to play a Grand Final at the MCG or their home ground a majority would still select the MCG. Surely that is the pinnacle for any AFL player regardless of where you come from.

AFL Club
Sydney
It’s a bit like the FA Cup final being at Wembley. It’s the home of the sport, makes sense to keep it there.

Also, what would all the Victorians do on their day off if it was in Perth? Get another for travel?

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Average attendance for Adelaide Oval this season was 41,822
I would be interested to know how many games were sold out and hypothetically how many more you get could get in if the capacity permitted. 80 odd thousand crows members from memory.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t know if this has ever been done but I suspect that if you surveyed the Non-Victorian players as to whether they would prefer to play a Grand Final at the MCG or their home ground a majority would still select the MCG. Surely that is the pinnacle for any AFL player regardless of where you come from.
No doubt. That’s probably due to 100+ years of tradition created by the Victorian based league but over time, maybe over the next 100 years and if population and interstate attendances permit, I think we’ll see a continued push to nationalise the game more.

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Winner: West Coast 22 pts
Norm Smith: Redden
Most goals: Darling
Most disposals: Adams
Crowd: 99,940 :p