News Herald Sun SuperCoach Articles

AFL Club
Carlton
Did it copy the pics and formatting over @Professor or did you manually do it? Either way thanks, it looks great!

One thing that stood out was the weekly prize winner’s team did not look too outrageous like they sometimes do.

ROUND 15 TEAM OF THE WEEK
DEFENDERS
Kade Simpson 139
Jake Lloyd 136
Rory Laird 111
Angus Brayshaw 104
James Sicily 90
Zach Tuohy 89
Mason Red man -
Jordan Ridley -

MIDFIELDERS
Tom Mitchell 362 (c)
Luke Parker 123
Joel Selwood 122
Touk Miller 115
Lachie Neale 113
Scott Pendlebury 108
Jack Steven 99
Tom Rockliff 92
Angus Brayshaw 55
Joel Smith 53
Dom Barry -

RUCK
Max Gawn 145
Toby Nankervis 122
Scott Jones -
FORWARDS
Chad Wingard 122
Jesse Hogan 114
Toby McLean 104
Robbie Gray 85
Lance Franklin 73
Ben Ronke 71
Allen Christensen 71
Paul Ahern 80
Hey Idig, just a simple copy and paste from my mobile. New website gets the thumbs up, definitely more user friendly.

AFL Club
Carlton
Potential No.1 pick Jack Lukosius primed for last chance to impress in under 18 championships
LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
30 minutes ago
Subscriber only
TOP draft prospect Jack Lukosius is hoping to cap off his bid for an AFL contract with a big showing at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday, but he knows he is likely going to be leaving the nest no matter what the draft holds.
The South Australian forward is tipped by many to be taken with the first selection at this year’s national draft — a notion he said he has felt build as the year has worn on.
GARY BUCKENARA: TOP 10 PLAYERS TO WATCH IN U18 CHAMPIONSHIPS
EXCLUSIVE: BUCKY REVEALS HOW CLUBS ARE PREPARING FOR SUPER DRAFT

Lukosius’ SA outfit will take on Vic Metro in the final round of the Under 18 Championships and he is determined to ensure he delivers a prime showing as draft time looms.
“Obviously this is the pointy end of the year where everyone wants to play their best, so it’s a pretty exciting time and I’m looking forward to Wednesday and hopefully finishing off with a good win,” he said.
“The further the year has gone, the more serious it’s got and it’s exciting.”
Brisbane hosts Carlton this Saturday in what could determine which club holds the No.1 pick come November.
Jack Lukosius is tipped to be this year’s No.1 pick. Picture: Tony Gough
The 18-year-old tall forward said he will keep an eye on the game, but that he is all but resigned to leaving Adelaide.
“(The talk about going at No. 1) has kind of grown as the season has gone on and ticked next to my name,” Lukosius said.
“It makes it easier being in a strong team environment playing senior footy at the (Woodville-West) Eagles and with (the SA team) — it takes a lot of pressure off me and lets me just play my role for the team.
KEEPING UP WITH THE KINGS: MEET THE AFL’S NEXT BIG THINGS
“I’d love to stay home, but I’m more than happy to go wherever. It’s a national competition. I’m pretty much planning to move away from home and my parents.
“That’s going to be exciting and a bit of a challenge but I’m definitely looking forward to it.”
He said his family — including his grandparents — will watch closely on Wednesday and are “super-pumped” about what the next few months could hold.

Rhylee West is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his Bulldogs legend father. Picture: Getty
Vic Metro counterpart and Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Rhylee West said his team was embracing its underdog status.
“We’ll go out there playing as underdogs and just play our footy and don’t worry too much,” he said.
“We’ve got some great players. We’ll just do our thing.”
His five-time All-Australian and Bulldogs great father, Scott, had provided a few “little tips” — including the value of ice baths in recovery.
But, while hopeful, West isn’t sure whether he will land at Whitten Oval.
“I haven’t had much contact with the Doggies or anything that cements my spot,” he said.
“It’d be a great dream come true.
“But whether it’s in the red white and blue or down in the red and black, it doesn’t bother me — as long as I’m on an AFL list it doesn’t matter.”
The final round of the Under 18 Championships final round will be held on Wednesday, July 4 at Etihad Stadium.
2.10pm Allies v Western Australia
4.40pm Vic Metro v South Australia
Both matches will be broadcast live on Fox Footy

AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton great Wayne Johnston warns Patrick Cripps at risk of burnout
MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
30 minutes ago
Subscriber only
CARLTON great Wayne “The Dominator” Johnston says he fears rising Blues superstar Patrick Cripps will burn out carrying the competition’s poorest team.
Johnston, inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame this year, said he was “absolutely” worried about the 23-year-old’s massive workload.
WAYWARD WARRIOR: HOW SAINT TIM BEAT THE YIPS
RARE BREED: WHY VIC CLUBS ARE SCRAMBLING FOR GAFF
DEW VIEW: SUNS COACH SAYS SIGNS AREN’T GOOD ON LYNCH

“He’s a man-mountain I know, but he’s done so much hard work and so much good stuff, but how long is he going to last?” Johnston said.
“How long are you going to last playing that footy? He’s Robinson Crusoe, that’s what I’m saying.
“I mean he takes it upon himself to do it, which is so admirable it’s not funny.
“He’s getting bashed up every week, even though he’s big and strong, it’s not the point.”

Cripps — a 195cm, 93kg midfield bull — has played 91 per cent midfield and just 9 per cent forward across the club’s disastrous 1-15 season.
He’s been hard-tagged in seven matches and has played the most midfield minutes (1761) of any AFL player this year.
Former coaches David Parkin and Rodney Eade have also warned the Blues will cut short the career of out-of-contract Cripps if they don’t place some bigger bodies around him.
Asked what he would do to lessen Cripps’ load, Johnston said: “It’s not so much the solution about him, it’s about getting him some help.
“He’s going to play that game no matter what.”
Patrick Cripps under pressure against St Kilda last week. Picture: Michael Klein
Johnston said Collingwood was able to run a gun like Scott Pendlebury against Cripps in Round 14 because they had the “midfield balance” to do so.
“We need some decent bodies,” the four-time Carlton premiership champ said.
The trading of Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide and injuries to Sam Docherty, Marc Murphy and Matthew Kreuzer had cruelled Brendon Bolton’s third year in charge, Johnston said.
“It makes it hard,” he said.
“It’s a tough comp to do it in (rebuild) because the talent pool is not that good.
“I know they talk about superdrafts and all that but 18-year-olds don’t … it’s hard for them in this sort of game and the format that they play. They just get bullied around unless you can isolate them.
“They just play in a cluster of stoppages and big bodies and so you can’t put a kid in there.”
SPONSORED
CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL
WIN AFL GRAND FINAL TICKETS BY COMPLETING THE FOOTY FANS SURVEY BELOW

Bolton fended off suggestions Cripps needed to be rested for his own good after last week’s 64-point hammering against St Kilda.
“He is a warrior,” Bolton said.
“It would be really difficult walking up to Patrick Cripps and saying ‘have a rest’. He is going to shake his head and laugh and say ‘No way, Bolts’.
“We are managing him from game to game very, very well.”
Cripps is expected to sign a new two-year deal before the end of the season, rebuffing interest from his home state of Western Australia.
The delay in putting pen to paper is not seen as cause for concern given his love for the club.
COOKED TO A CRIPPS
Patrick Cripps in 2018
90% game time
91% midfield
9% forward
1761 minutes played — most of any AFL midfielder
Carlton contested possessions
Patrick Cripps 286
Ed Curnow 161
Zac Fisher 129
Source: CHAMPION DATA

AFL Club
Carlton
Toby McLean re-signs with Western Bulldogs until 2022
SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
WESTERN Bulldogs premiership star Toby McLean has jumped the list management queue and re-signed for another four seasons.
The Herald Sun can reveal McLean, who was already contracted for next season, is now locked in at Whitten Oval until 2022.
RARE BREED: WHY VIC CLUBS ARE SCRAMBLING FOR GAFF
AFLPA BOSS: CLUBS, FANS MUST GROW UP ON FREE AGENCY
DEW VIEW: SUNS COACH SAYS SIGNS AREN’T GOOD ON LYNCH

McLean has been the Bulldogs’ biggest improver since their 2016 flag and is on track to finish in the top two or three at this year’s best-and-fairest.
“(Contract) talks started at the end of last month and it didn’t take long to get a deal done,” McLean told the Herald Sun on Thursday night.
“Both parties are quite happy. It was a little bit of a surprise, knowing that a lot of other boys are out of contract this year.
“We’d have 10 or maybe even more. I was obviously contracted until the end of next year, but I love the club and want to be here for as long as possible.
“The club’s in a really good spot and there’s nowhere else I’d rather be.
The end of 2022 takes me to 26 years old, which feels like a long way away but can come quick at the same time.”

The Bulldogs have five free agents unsigned — Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis (restricted), Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus and Dale Morris (unrestricted).
McLean, 22, was buoyed by the “variety” of talent unearthed this season as he develops his onball game under midfield coaches Joel Corey and Daniel Giansiracusa.
“We’ve got the right group to (play finals). Anything is possible with the group we’ve got,” he said.
“This year we’ve got Aaron Naughton, a big full-back, Ed Richards, who can play back, forward or wing, and then Billy Gowers, who can play forward or mid.

“We’ve got quite a young list, and then we’ve also got the likes of Dale Morris, who hopefully can play for a few more years as well to help the kids grow up quicker.”
The Western Bulldogs have signed premiership midfielder Toby McLean until the end of 2022. Picture: AAP
McLean tipped Jack Macrae to be “way out in front” in the best-and-fairest.
But McLean, who is the Dogs’ No.1 tackler and No.2 contested ball winner, is also set to receive plenty of votes.
McLean said he was still recovering from a collarbone injury sustained in the first contest of Round 13, where he bizarrely gave away a free kick.
“Robbie Gray came off the back of the square and I just saw the ball and went for the ball,” McLean said.
“It’s coming back to 100 per cent now, which is five weeks on. It was my 50th game, so I had family come over and to go out in the first two seconds would’ve been a bit of a shame.”

McLean had mum Heather and girlfriend Laura in the Adelaide Oval stands and bravely played on as the Dogs lost Macrae and Easton Wood to hamstring injuries.
McLean has not missed a game since Round 11 last year and has elevated his midfield game after an introduction late last season.

AFL Club
Carlton
Nic Naitanui and James Sicily top biggest SuperCoach trades of the week, plus expert captain tips
Ben Higgins, Herald Sun
July 19, 2018 4:00pm
Subscriber only
IT’S a dirty word at Carlton but ‘priority’ is this week’s SuperCoach buzz word.
Trades are running thin and injuries are starting to bite.
If you’ve only got one or two trades left this might be the week to use them. If you’ve got more, congratulations.
Nic Naitanui, James Sicily, Michael Hibberd, Josh Kennedy and Robbie Gray are all out or in doubt this week. They’ve joined the likes of Nat Fyfe, Adam Treloar and Marcus Bontempelli already on the sidelines.
THE PHANTOM: THE BEST SICILY REPLACEMENT OPTIONS
MARKET WATCH: DOG AT TOP OF SUPERCOACH WISH LIST
THE PHANTOM: THE BEST NIC NAT REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

So, it comes down to who must be replaced and who can be covered.
With Nic Nat out for the season, he is the highest priority trade of the week for his almost 50,000 owners.
If you’ve got a bit of cash in the bank Brodie Grundy, Stef Martin and Todd Goldstein are premium picks, while Callum Sinclair is the high-scoring point-of-difference that won’t cost an arm and a leg.
Hawthorn’s James Sicily. Picture: Sam Rosewarne
Nic Naitanui has been ruled out for the season.
Gray and Kennedy are still a chance to play this week but we should all have cover in the midfield, which makes them the lowest priority trades of the week.
The difficult call is Sicily.
The star Hawk is out for six weeks with a broken wrist, making him a prime trade candidate but with so many other injuries, bench cover or dual position flexibility is crucial.
In the forward line, the likes of Paul Ahern and Bayley Fritsch are scoring well and can fill in this week.

However, things aren’t as rosy in the backline with Hibberd also out.
Hibberd’s quad injury is expected to be longer than just one week and while Tom Doedee remains a solid scorer, Brad Lynch and Brody Mihocek are the only popular cash cows still playing regularly.
If Sicily is in your forward line, trust in your bench cover this week but if he and/or Hibberd are in your backline, trade.
Tom McDonald provides the def-fwd flexibility of Sicily and comes at a $50,000 discount making him the prime trade candidate.
Tom Mitchell takes on Carlton this week.
CAPTAIN’S CORNER
Tom Mitchell ($662,400, Mid) Last 3 v opp: 125

Easily the top captaincy options in Round 18 after round-high scores of 181 and 159 in two of the past three weeks. Ed Curnow could get a tagging assignment, so you’ll have to make a choice between Titch and Max Gawn.
Dustin Martin ($441,000, Mid) Last 3 v opp: 108
Dusty showed some encouraging signs last week and he’s the top VC option on Friday night. While he only scored 105 earlier this year, he pumped out a 146 against the Saints in their previous meeting.
Patrick Dangerfield ($569,000, Mid) Last 3 v opp: 123
Danger’s back! A massive 158 last week in the loss to Adelaide and a history of destroying the Demons. Add in the fact the game is at GMHBA Stadium and you’ve got all the makings off a strong captaincy candidate.
Max Gawn ($651,900, Ruck) Last 3 v opp: 76
Gawn’s average is heavily impacted by a injury-affected 27, take that out and his average jumps to 116. Gawn should dominate the weak Geelong ruck division.
Andrew Gaff ($561,300, Mid) Last 3 v opp: 117
The Bulldogs don’t tag heavily and Gaff should have free rein at Perth Stadium. Expect a big Eagles win and a big Gaff score. The top Sunday captaincy option if you want to play it safe by VC-ing Tom Mitchell or Max Gawn.
JUMP ON
Brodie Grundy ($623,200, Ruck)

The best Nic Nat replacement option but he’s hugely expensive. He’s cost you $150,000-plus as an upgrade. Stef Martin, Todd Goldstein and Callum Sinclair are cheaper options.
Jake Lloyd ($595,000, Def)
If you’re trading Sicily or Hibberd, Lloyd is the must-have option. Again, he’s expensive but its hard to win you’re league without the 7th overall SuperCoach scorer.

Tom McDonald ($452,200, Def-Fwd)
The No.6 forward by average, McDonald replaces the DPP flexibility that made Sicily so valuable. He’s also scoring strongly, averaging 99 on the season.
JUMP OFF
James Sicily ($508,800, Def-Fwd)

Sadly, it’s time to say farewell to Sicily. The No.6 defender and No.1 scoring forward. He’s been a rock of our SuperCoach teams all year whether in defence or attack.
Nic Naitanui ($469,900, Ruck)
Another heartbreaking late season injury. Nic Nat was in almost 50,000 teams and his early injury saw him lose $27k, which makes finding a suitable trade that little bit harder.
Michael Hibberd ($362,000, Def)
As if his sub-par scoring wasn’t bad enough this season, Hibberd has now suffered a quad injury that will definitely keep him out this week and possibly longer.
The Champion Data Round 18 SuperCoach Formguide.

AFL Club
Carlton
PLAYERS TO WATCH

ST KILDA v RICHMOND

David Armitage is St Kilda’s No.1 ranked player since Round 15 with an average of 116 points. Toby Nankervis has led the Tiger charge over these rounds with scores of 122, 113 and 95 points respectively.

COLLINGWOOD v NORTH MELBOURNE

Brodie Grundy has only dropped below 100 points in three of 11 games at the MCG this season, averaging 123 points. Todd Goldstein scored a season-low 57 points in his only match at the venue in Round 3.

SYDNEY v GOLD COAST

Luke Parker has dropped below 100 points just once against the Suns from seven career games, averaging 24 disposals and 105 points. David Swallow had 29 disposals and 132 points when these sides last played in Round 16 last season.

ESSENDON v FREMANTLE

Devon Smith had a season-low 15 disposals and 52 points in his last match at Etihad Stadium in Round 15. David Mundy averages 20 disposals, four tackles and 90 points from 20 career games at the venue.

BRISBANE v ADELAIDE

Dayne Beams’ price rocketed by $33,300 last round after scoring 111 points in the win over Hawthorn. Rory Sloane racked up 127 points against Geelong which was his second-biggest haul of the season.

IN AFL GRAND FINAL TICKETS BY COMPLETING THE FOOTY FANS SURVEY BELOW

GEELONG v MELBOURNE

Joel Selwood finished with 36 disposals, 10 score involvements and 124 points when he last played the Demons at GMHBA Stadium in 2016. Max Gawn could only manage 15 disposals, 10 hitouts-to-advantage and 63 points on the day.

CARLTON v HAWTHORN

Dale Thomas has enjoyed back-to-back price rises after scoring 110 and 104 points respectively in his past two games. Isaac Smith has also enjoyed two price hikes in successive weeks after scoring 106 and 72 points.

WEST COAST v WESTERN BULLDOGS

Andrew Gaff had 27 disposals, 13 contested possessions, one goal and 103 points when these sides last met in Round 2. Jack Macrae dominated with 31 disposals, 11 score involvements and 141 points.

PORT ADELAIDE v GWS GIANTS

Tom Rockliff is averaging 35 more points in wins compared to losses this season, the second-biggest differential of any player at the Power. Dylan Shiel is +28 points in

Giant wins, the third-biggest differential at the club.

AFL Club
Carlton
PORT ADELAIDE (11-5) will confirm its 22 on Friday evening with forward-midfielder Robbie Gray still in contention to play Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

Gray, concussed in the third term of the nine-point loss to Fremantle at Perth Stadium on Sunday, is in the Power’s 26-man squad that has gained Jarrod Leinert, experienced defender Jasper Pittard, Melbourne recruit Jack Trengove, untried midfielder Kane Farrell and forward Aidyn Johnson.

Leinert, a rookie-listed player claimed from SANFL club Sturt, is closer to his AFL debut.

The Power has lost All-Australian ruckman Patrick Ryder (left hip flexor) who remains on a weekly watch with a strain that could keep him out of action for a month.

Seventh-placed GWS (9-6-1) also has a 26-man squad that will be trimmed to the match 22 today/Friday. Coach Leon Cameron has up for consideration Brett Deledio, Daniel Lloyd, Lachlan Keeffe, Matt Buntine and Aiden Bonar

AFL Club
Carlton
David Swallow could leave Gold Coast during trade period or when he becomes a free agent in 2019
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only
EXCLUSIVE: CONTRACTED Gold Coast star David Swallow could join Tom Lynch in the exodusfrom the Suns this year.
Swallow, 25, is a free agent next season but is open to a return to one of the two West Australian clubs this off-season.
The Herald Sun understands there is some interest from Fremantle given his age and explosive midfield play.
FREE AGENT: LYNCH D-DAY LOOMS AS RACE HEATS UP
CO-CAPTAIN: MAY COMMITS TO SUNS ... “AT THIS STAGE”
SUN SET? DEW NOT CONFIDENT OF KEEPING LYNCH

But he is not at the top of their priorities given their lack of a second-round pick and the difficulty in acquiring him in contract.
Swallow was the first player picked by Gold Coast in their first draft, the No.1 overall selection in the 2010 draft.
He most recently re-signed with the Suns in 2016, saying back then he loved the club, his teammates and the Gold Coast.
David Swallow leads Gold Coast off after a loss.
But there is a feeling among some senior players at the Gold Coast that if Tom Lynch leaves, their chances of future success are dim.
The Suns face the invidious question of whether they hold players to contracts this year, only to see them depart as free agents next year.
The circus around Lynch has been an ongoing distraction for the club, desperate to sell its brand and instead bogged down in a year-long contract drama.

Swallow has played in 31 wins and 82 losses in his 113 AFL games, the Suns best season a 10-victory year in 2014.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Suns will demand an answer from Lynch about his future when he returns from knee surgery next week.
His co-captain Steven May was also equivocal about his future on an AFL Tonight interview this week, stopping short of devoting himself to the club’s future.
Steven May after a Gold Coast loss.
The Herald Sun has reported that Collingwood will ask about his availability in the trade period after the Hawks made a pitch for his services last season.
The club’s entire senior core is out of contract in 2019, including May, Sam Day, Rory Thompson, Tom Nicholls and Alex Sexton.
Exciting forward Peter Wright, young midfield talents Jack Martin and Touk Miller as well as Pearce Hanley and Callum Ah Chee are also out of contract next year.
At one stage Swallow went over 600 days without playing AFL football as the result of a persistent knee injury.
But he has bounced back to play 18 games in 2017 and every game this season so far, at one stage as acting captain due to injury.
The Suns take on Sydney on Saturday, attempting to win their fourth game of the season.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
The next story I am expecting is "Gold Coast AFL club being traded to Tasmania for half a packet of potato chips and blurry tassie tiger footage!"... :LOL:

AFL Club
Carlton
AFL will consider giving Carlton a priority pick, but only if it asks for one
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
July 20, 2018 5:46pm
Subscriber only
GILLON McLachlan says the AFL will consider granting Carlton a rare priority pick if the Blues backflip on their decision not to request one.
Carlton takes on Hawthorn on Sunday, hoping to dodge a one-win season after their worst start to a VFL/AFL season in the club’s history.
Speculation is mounting the Blues might reconsider their decision given the possibility the league might grant them an extra second-round pick.
BURNOUT FEARS: DON’T CRIPPLE CRIPPS, BLUES GREAT WARNS
INSIDE LOOK: HOW ‘SPOON BOUND’ ROOS REBUILT LIST
MATTHEW LLOYD: ARE CATS A CONTENDER OR A TEASE?

Carlton’s stance was made public in late May, but the Blues have lost six consecutive games by an averaging margin of 42 points since then.
McLachlan said that unless the Blues officially applied for the contentious list allowance, the AFL couldn’t assess their chances.
“I haven’t turned my mind to it because it’s well known they said they didn’t want one,” McLachlan said.
“Whether they change their position or not? If they do we will have a look at it.”
WIN GRAND FINAL TICKETS BY COMPLETING THE FOOTY FANS SURVEY

McLachlan admitted he was surprised by the Blues’ on-field fortunes but confident in the leadership of chief executive Cain Liddle, who led the priority pick stance.
“Clearly any team that has won one game I worry about. I have got great confidence in the leadership there,’’ he said.
“They are rebuilding and made dramatic list changes. I wouldn’t have predicted this year.
“They have a very talented list, maybe it’s a bit young and when you get injuries with a young list you are vulnerable.”
Patrick Cripps leads the Blues off the ground after last week’s loss to St Kilda. Picture: Michael Klein
Blues president Mark LoGiudice told 3AW on Wednesday the club was still staunch in its stance on rejecting AFL assistance.
ADVERTISEMENT
“At this stage we haven’t discussed the priority pick any further. At this stage we are going to focus on things we can control,” he said.
McLachlan will meet football boss Steve Hocking on Monday to assess the progress of potential list changes including starting points.
St Kilda will conduct a rules trial in coming weeks, with GWS putting up their hand for a full-length NEAFL trial on Wednesday.
GWS football boss Wayne Campbell told the Herald Sun yesterday the club had confirmed with Hocking they were happy to take part after meeting to view the AFL’s rules trial footage.

It would most likely happen during the type of September scratch match that took place between Adelaide and GWS last year to help give players not in the senior side match practice.
McLachlan made clear some rule changes will come in next year, less thrilled with Nathan Buckley’s provocative comments.
“He’s not being serious, ‘Bucks’, is he? He doesn’t even know what (the changes) are,” McLachlan said.
“Blight on the game? There’s a board meeting early-August and I’ve got a meeting on Monday afternoon where (Hocking) is going to brief me about where he’s at.
“I think there’ll be some changes. The extent of them, I’m not sure.”
He made clear he believed AFL runners guarded space at times as the AFL prepares to limit runners’ time on ground to 45 seconds after goals next year.

AFL Club
Carlton
The Phantom’s Round 18 Review: The good, the bad and the top-scoring forward-line PODs
The Phantom, The Advertiser
July 23, 2018 5:42pm
Subscriber only
With most of the popular names starring, it was another big week in SuperCoach. But there are also a number unique players in red-hot form. The Phantom looks at the good, the bad and the four highest-scoring forwards in the past five rounds
It was another big week in SuperCoach with five of the top eight most-selected players scoring more than 120 points in Round 18.
And Rory Laird, the third-most popular player in the game, wasn’t far off with 111.
They are popular for a reason.
But there are also a number unique players in red-hot SuperCoach form.
In the forward line, excluding the injured James Sicily, the top four scorers in the past five weeks are all in less than four per cent of teams.
Three of them are in 1.2 per cent or less.
Hawk Luke Bruest is the highest-scoring SuperCoach forward in the past five weeks.
Hawk Luke Bruest (3.9%) has posted five SuperCoach tons in the past five games and boasts a five-round average of 113.
Geelong ruckman Rhys Stanley (1%) , who looks to have finally won the No. 1 ruck battle at the Cats, isn’t far behind with a five-round average of 111, after scores of 149, 109, 90, 104 and 103 in the past five matches,
Stanley’s team-mate – and the matchwinner against the Demons – Tom Hawkins (1.2%) is averaging 110 points per game in the past five games.
But, more impressively, the key forward is averaging 107 points per game since Round 6.
Rounding out the list of unpopular SuperCoach names, skilful Saint Jade Gresham (0.8%) has scored 110 points or more in three of his past five matches to boast a five-round average of 104, the fourth-highest of forwards currently playing.
One of these guys could be the difference in your team making the finals and missing out.
And, with Brisbane, Fremantle and Gold Coast travelling to the Cattery in the final five rounds, The Phantom would be going with Hawkins.
THE GOOD

A huge 192 SuperCoach points for Tom Mitchell in Round 18.
The heading should say unbelievably good because that’s what Hawk Tom Mitchell was against the Blues on Sunday. The No. 1 SuperCoach scorer tallied 46 disposals, 16 contested possessions, nine tackles, two goals and a season-high 192 points. That’s Mitchell’s third score of 159 or more in the past five matches. Looking ahead, the Brownlow Medal favourite is unlikely to find as much space in Round 19 as the Hawks travel to take on Bailey Banfield and the Dockers.

Second-year Brisbane defender Alex Witherden continued his run of form against the Crows, recording 131 SuperCoach points, on the back of 31 disposals – 26 of them kicks – 12 marks and a game-high 735 metres gained. The 19-year-old now sits as the fifth-highest scoring defender in the past three rounds. The Phantom picked Witherden up at the bargain price of $374k but the point-of-difference, who is only in 3.5 per cent of teams, is still a great buy at $455k.

Play Video
Play
0:00
/
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

Mitchell catches Carlton out
Zach Merrett’s SuperCoach ton in Round 18 made it seven on-the-trot for the Bomber midfielder and, more impressively, it came despite the attention from Fremantle stopper Bailey Banfield. Merrett started slow but finished with a huge 13-disposal last quarter to get his team over the line.
Well done to the 1300 SuperCoaches who took the punt on Giant Dawson Simpson before the start of Round 18. The 29-year-old followed up his 122 points against the Tigers with 121 points in his side’s win over the Power, making him the highest-scoring ruckman of the round.
THE BAD
For a guy who is averaging more than 30 disposals per game in 2018, Jack Macrae’s first quarter against the Eagles was underwhelming to say the least. Macrae failed to touch the footy in the first 18 minutes and finished the term with just three stats to his name. As expected, he lifted but still only managed 74 points – his lowest full-game score for the year. But in good news, Macrae’s price fell by another $46k, meaning he is now available for almost $200k less than he was after Round 9.
Blue Kade Simpson posted his lowest SuperCoach score since Round 9.
Four of the top-seven scoring defenders in 2018 – Kade Simpson (80), Shannon Hurn (72), Jack Crisp (64) and Luke Ryan (74) – all struggled in Round 18. We can handle the odd low score but not all in the same week.
THE PHANTOM’S MENACE
Daniel McStay (Bris)
Hey Dan, just be more careful when you’re near the head of the SuperCoach cash cow of the year Tom Doedee next time.
THE PHANTOM ROUND 18
Score: 2523
Overall ranking: 13,135
Originally published as The top-scoring SuperCoach forwards that nobody wants

AFL Club
Carlton
Getting your final upgrades right key to SuperCoach success, plus the top scores from Round 18
James Nice, Herald Sun
July 23, 2018 12:44pm
Subscriber only
BEING frugal with our trades makes it even more important when considering who to trade into our sides at this late point in the season.
For that reason, this next suggestion may prove to be horrendous, but it’s one for the brave or desperate.
Sydney’s Aliir Aliir has been playing excellent football since his return to the side in Round 13 and now has a three-round average of 105.3 and a five-round average of 94.2.
BAROMETER: EVERY CLUB’S ROUND 18 INJURY LIST
R18 ICYMI: F--- YOUR ZONES: JACK’S RULES PLEA
ROUND 19: SUPER ROUND JUST WHAT GAME NEEDED

Aliir played a pivotal role in Sydney win over North Melbourne in Round 17 kicking the winning goal and this week scored a season high 117 with 24 touches and seven marks, despite the Swans’ thrashing at the hands of the Gold Coast.
Owned in only 2 per cent of teams, Aliir might be the perfect defensive upgrade if you’re strapped for cash.
Looking to past form, former top ranked midfielder Bulldog Jack Macrae plummeted almost $46,000 in price this week after a score of just 74 against the Eagles - getting tagged by Mark Hutchings didn’t help - and now at just $540,500 it could be the time to jump back on.
Jordan de Goey at Collingwood training.
Jack Macrae at Bulldogs training.
Up forward it’s Jordan de Goey who cannot be overlooked in a year where forward line options are few and far between, after his huge score of 147 against the Kangaroos.
Though he’s been inconsistent, it’s that high-scoring potential that could win us the games we need heading into SuperCoach finals.
With a five-round average of 97.8, dual position player status, and a breakeven of just 67, he could be an interesting point-of-difference, owned in just 7 per cent of teams.
TOP PLAYERS
192 - Tom Mitchell
147 - Jordan de Goey
143 - Stephen Coniglio
140 - Tom Hawkins
139 - Dustin Martin
TOP TEAMS
2812 - Big Bad Blic, Tom
2753 - nickyguns, Nick
2742 - Crispy Pies, Nicholas
2739 - xcdas dons, Luke
2731 - Barbeques Treloar, Ryan
OVERALL LEADERS
41,016 - Throbbing Hotspurs, Robert
40,953 - Chrispy’s Critters, Chris
40,914 - SnowSky, Callan
40,858 - CharCole Chicken, Cole
40,796 - tankasawraus, Mark
COMPLETE THE SURVEY BELOW AND YOU COULD WIN AFL GRAND FINAL TICKETS

TEAM OF THE WEEK
Team
: Big Bad Blic
Coach: Tom
Score: 2812
DEFENDERS
Alex Witherden 131
Elliot Yeo 128
Rory Laird 111
Jake Lloyd 103
Zach Tuohy 102
Angus Brayshaw 87
Jamie Macmillan 75
Brad Lynch 55

MIDFIELDERS

Tom Mitchell (c) 384
Stephen Coniglio 143
Dustin Martin 139
Josh Kelly 130
Clayton Oliver 127
Patrick Dangerfield 126
Zach Merrett 123
Patrick Cripps 122
James Worpel 110
Cameron Polson 63
Nathan Freeman -

RUCKS
Todd Goldstein 102
Max Gawn 93
Darcy Cameron 25
FORWARDS
Jordan de Goey 147
Devon Smith 122
Robbie Gray 113
Kane Lambert 107
Michael Walters 94
Isaac Heeney 78
Paul Ahern 62
Dylan Clarke -

Tom Mitchell is the top scoring player again in Round 18.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: TOM MITCHELL
The Mitchell juggernaut continued as he racked up another 192 SuperCoach points – his third score of 150-plus points from his past four games. He finished with 46 disposals, 30 uncontested possessions, six clearances, nine tackles, one score assist and two goals from 90 per cent game time.
MARKET WATCH
ELLIOT YEO

Yeo was the top-ranked player on the ground in the win over Western Bulldogs with 128 SuperCoach points, enjoying a price rise of $13,100 along the way. He finished with 28 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five clearances and team-highs of eight tackles and seven inside 50s from 88 per cent game time.
ISAAC HEENEY
Like many Swans on the weekend, Heeney was well below his best, scoring just 78 SuperCoach points – his equal-lowest return in any full match this year. He finished with 20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five clearances, three inside 50s and two score assists from 83 per cent game time.
ROBBIE GRAY
Gray overcame an injury cloud and scored 113 SuperCoach points against the Giants, his second 100-plus point return since Round 8. After a slow start, he scored 72 points
after half-time, finishing with 24 disposals, 12 contested possessions, four clearances, six tackles and two goals straight.
YOUNG GUN: JARROD LIENERT
Lienert was solid on his AFL debut against Greater Western Sydney, hitting the target with 18 of 20 disposals on his way to 92 SuperCoach points. He also had 14 uncontested possessions, five marks, two tackles and five inside 50s from 79 per cent game time. He also won seven intercept possessions which were the equal-second most of any Power player.
HiPAGES NAILED IT/FAILED IT
Reviewing Thursday night’s predictions on the SuperCoaches Box Podcast.
Ben Higgins: Dustin Martin to score 130 against the Saints.
Verdict: Nailed It. Not much to say here. Higgo nailed his prediction after Dusty returned to the form we’ve all been waiting for with a score of 139 against a miserable St Kilda outfit. Owners will be hoping he can maintain such scores in the final weeks against some tougher opponents.
Chris Vernuccio: Tom Cutler to score 90.
Verdict: Nailed It. Cutler came away with a score of 105 in Brisbane’s narrow loss against the Crows. It was a strange and fairly safe prediction from Chris, with the young Lion owned in just 632 teams across the competition, and is now averaging exactly 90 from his last five games. An inventive prophecy, if not insightful.

AFL Club
Carlton
7 keys to surviving the last round of AFL SuperCoach
Michael Randall, Herald Sun
3 minutes ago
Subscriber only
WHETHER you’re sitting pretty at the top of your league or scrapping just to make the eight, this week’s SuperCoach round looms as the most important of the year.
Here are seven tips to surviving it.
SUPERCOACH INVESTOR: THE GIANT READY TO EXPLODE
LEFT FIELD: MAGPIE WHO COULD BE KEY TO SUCCESS
REVIEW: THE PHANTOM’S GOOD, BAD, UGLY IN ROUND 18

1. TRADE STRATEGY AT THE TOP
If you’re in the top four and no danger of falling out, keep your trades in the bag. Injuries are the No. 1 scourge of the SuperCoach finals. Ever finish on top of your league, lose two stars to injury and have no trades to replace them with? Even if you’re fourth and could miss the double, you might want to consider keeping your powder dry.
2. THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND
If you’re sitting just outside the eight and have trades left, what are you doing with your life? Spend them. Spend them now. There is no next week if you don’t make the top eight and turning a cash cow into a premo or upgrading a fallen star could be the difference between playing finals and shutting down your SuperCoach app until next year.
Could Zach Merrett’s hot form help you get the SuperCoach edge? Picture: AAP
3. CAPTAINCY LOOPHOLE
Don’t understand how the captaincy loophole works? Pick a player on Friday night or Saturday to be your vice-captain and have a player from a later game as your captain. If your vice-captain goes big, bring in a player who is not playing and slap the C on him, moving one of your on field players to the bench and making them an emergency. You’ll get the double score from your vice-captain and still get the emergency’s score. Potential Friday night vice-captaincy candidates include Lance Franklin — who averages 120 against the Bombers and has a career-high of 189 against them — Jake Lloyd — the most consistent Swan in 2018 — and Zach Merrett — who has broken out of his slump to average almost 120 in his last three. The Saturday Collingwood v Richmond blockbuster offers an array of stars you could put the VC on, chiefly Pies’ ruckman Brodie Grundy. Rolled gold stars Dustin Martin and Scott Pendlebury have both had down seasons, but this is the sort of big stage both men thrive on. I would have said Jordan de Goey could be a left field vice captaincy selection but it was bad news for him today. How about the Nank? Or Taylor Adams?
4. POINT OF DIFFERENCE
Do your research on your opponent. Look at the projections and check game day to see which common players you have. Of course, you can’t predict who your opponent will trade, but you can make an educated guess by looking at their players who are either injured, or upgrade candidates. For example, if you both still have someone like Jack Billings ($421,600 3 RdAvg 93) you might look to turn him into someone similarly-priced, but in better form like Orazio Fantasia ($423,200, 3 RdAvg 108.7) or Tim Taranto ($438,200, 3 RdAvg 105) or even take a punt on Toby Greene ($439,900) who is two matches back from a long injury lay-off and capable of huge SuperCoach scores.

COMPLETE THE SURVEY BELOW AND YOU COULD WIN AFL GRAND FINAL TICKETS

5. WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE
This is as sneaky as you can get in SuperCoach. Plan the trades you’re going to make and do them at the very last minute. Even after the round has started. If you’re line-up is all but set and you don’t plan on trading anyone from Friday night’s game between Essendon and Sydney in or out, then wait until after the match to do it. It could end up being a very unwelcome surprise for your opponent and might tip the match in your favour. But don’t mess it up!
Haven’t got Tom Mitchell? Get him. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
6. GET TOM MITCHELL
It’s hard to fathom, but there are still 65,690 teams that don’t have Tom Mitchell. Wouldn’t be surprised if not one of them is in the top eight, but if you are one of those owners, move heaven and earth to get him. He’s putting together a historic SuperCoach season, averaging over 130, and is coming off competition-high 192 last week. If you haven’t got the Hawthorn ball magnet, you’re probably not going to win anything. Just sayin’.
7. CROSS YOUR FINGERS
It’s all up to the SuperCoach Gods now. You’ve done everything you can, survived injuries, dud stars and rookies that just didn’t play. Now it’s time to cross your fingers and hope for the best. Good luck.

Watch every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >

AFL Club
Carlton
Who let us down and who should we be trading in in SuperCoach after Round 19
Paul Dunn, Herald Sun
15 minutes ago
Subscriber only
WITH SuperCoach finals starting this week we need to maximise those points, particularly if you find yourself in an elimination final this week.
However, we can still send our finals bound players a message as we rage trade after Round 19.
THE TACKLE: YOUNG BULLS TOO HARD TO SPLIT
PODCAST: WHICH CAT COULD BE ON THE MOVE?
BOOT HIM
LANCE FRANKLIN

Buddy has hit 100 just once now in his last six games and is averaging just 74 across that period. He is certainly not showing the level of scoring you need coming into your finals campaign this week. If you have the cash and trades left it may be worth upgrading him.
DUSTIN MARTIN
After a couple of good scores and we all thought he was back, Dusty was once again tagged to a low score with just the 83 points this week and he needed three goals to even get that much. His scoring and susceptibility to a tag makes him a very nervous proposition for coaches in Round 1 of SuperCoach finals this week. He is a high risk, high reward player at the moment and could win or lose you a final.
Dustin Martin at Richmond training. Picture: Alex Coppel
Joel Selwood at Geelong training. Picture: Glenn Ferguson
JOEL SELWOOD
Selwood has hit the wall recently and hasn’t been over 100 in the last three games and that isn’t the sort of form to get us SuperCoaches excited. Gary Ablett has stepped things up and it seems to be at Joel’s expense. You can’t carry a score of 52 like he had this week in an elimination final.
RORY SLOANE
Sloane was tagged again this week and unfortunately he didn’t work his way through it. We know from last season that he is at risk of a low score when tagged. He did have a lot of tackles but a disposal efficiency of 29 per cent will certainly hold his scoring back every time.
PAUL SEEDSMAN
Seedsman missed the majority of the game due to a hamstring injury and based on that alone you will unfortunately have to trade him out of your side.
Marcus Bontempelli at Western Bulldogs training.
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
Round 13 was the last time Bont cracked the 100 barrier. Whilst he got close this week he just isn’t getting the big scores that we need from him at this stage of the season, if you can upgrade him then it is something you should certainly consider doing.
TOM ROCKLIFF
Just the one score over 95 in his last six games now sees Rocky as a liability in your side. There are other players that are scoring much better and if you have the luxury of being able to side swap him then you should seriously consider as you can’t have scores in the 80s and 90s in your midfield.
MICHAEL WALTERS
He has struggled to put big scores on the board consistently and has three scores in the 60s in his last six games now. This sort of inconsistent scoring is the sort of thing that will lose you a final when you come up against someone that has a consistent 90 scorer.
Jake Lloyd at Sydney training. Picture: Phil Hillyard
BUY HIM
JAKE LLOYD

If we can overlook that blip on the radar a couple of weeks ago Lloyd has been in great form and if you have one upgrade left in your defence then he would be a smart choice to put in your side.

ZACH MERRETT
Zach hasn’t been under 100 now since Round 11 and only two of those games have been under 110 with two of the last four over 120. He had a poor start to the year but has really gotten going and is in just over 12 per cent of teams and could be the unique to get you the win in your league finals.
BRODIE GRUNDY
If you are one of the 78 per cent of teams without Brodie in your side then you should seriously consider bringing him in. He is one of the form rucks in the competition and has a very high ceiling which he showed once again this week with his eighth score of the season over 130.
DAYNE BEAMS
Four games over 110 now in the last five weeks for the Lions superstar and he doesn’t look like slowing down as the Lions are starting to show some really good form of late. He is under 5 per cent ownership and teams with him in them would be looking forward to a good finals campaign.
Dayne Beams at Brisbane training.
Gary Ablett at Cats training. Picture: Alison Wynd
GARY ABLETT
Gaz has been showing us just why the Cats were keen to get him back with some great scoring in the last few weeks capped off by a 38 possession game this week which netted him 134 points. He is owned by less than 5 per cent of the competition and is cheap compared to a lot of the other players who have been scoring 110-plus recently.
PATRICK CRIPPS
Cripps has been in some great form in recent weeks and capped it off with a huge score this week. His last three have been over 120 and two of those now have been over 150. He is well worth considering in your run through the finals.
JACK MACRAE
This is his second really big score since coming back from injury and he seems to have brought his best form back with him. He was dropped by a number of teams when he got injured and is now in less than 10 per cent of teams and could be a great pick-up now for the run home.
CAPTAINS SCORECARD
A+
: Max Gawn, Tom Mitchell, Brodie Grundy, Gary Ablett, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy, Jack Macrae
A: Dayne Beams, Elliot Yeo
B+: Paddy Dangerfield, Scott Pendlebury, Lachie Neale
B: Dayne Zorko, Todd Goldstein
C: Dusty Martin, Andrew Gaff
ROOKIE WATCH
Let’s be honest, these guys should only be bench cover or coming onto your field for a one week injury so hopefully you don’t need to take any of these guys in your finals scores. But knowing which ones to use may be key when you have run out of trades in a week or two.
START HIM: Paul Ahern (124), Jack Higgins (91), Lachie Fogarty (68), Harrison Himmelberg (81), Paddy Dow (86), Lachlan Murphy (68), Tom Cole (79), Jarrod Lienert (83), Aaron Naughton (82), Andrew Brayshaw (74), Bailey Banfield (79), Taylin Duman (70)
SIT HIM: Matt Guelfi (40), Ben Ronke (56), Colin O’Riordan (33), Liam Baker (45), Brody Mihocek (49), Jaidyn Stephenson (43), Sam Murray (38), Quinton Narkle (42), Oscar McInerney (39), Cameron Rayner (40), Zac Langdon (59), Josh Battle (30), Nick Coffield (58), Nick Holman (34), Cameron Polson (33), Jordan Gallucci (38), Charlie Spargo (41), Bayley Fritsch (47), Willie Rioli (55), Daniel Venables (42), Jack Petruccelle (18), Jake Waterman (39), Kane Farrell (48), Fergus Greene (41), Adam Cerra (46), Alex Pearce (29)

AFL Club
Carlton
Collingwood star Jamie Elliott suffers another hamstring injury in the VFL
Kate Salemme and Toby Prime, Herald Sun
July 29, 2018 6:07pm
Subscriber only
COLLINGWOOD has suffered another massive injury blow with star Jamie Elliott reinjuring his left hamstring in the VFL.
The Magpies confirmed on Sunday afternoon he will have scans, with the severity of the injury to be known in the next 24-48 hours.
WATCH VISION OF JAMIE ELLIOTT'S INJURY IN THE VIDEO ABOVE
A dejected-looking Elliott walked from the field at the 22-minute mark of the final term against North Melbourne in Werribee after laying a strong tackle on the wing.
He received a free kick but sat on the ground for a few seconds before rising but clearly didn’t look happy. He quickly handballed the footy to a teammate before walking straight to the bench.
MALTHOUSE: PIES CAN BEAT TIGERS IN FINALS
MARK ROBINSON: TIGERS HAVE PIES’ MEASURE, FOR NOW
BUCKLEY: PIES SHATTERED FOR INJURED SCHARENBERG

Elliott did not return to the field. It was his second game back from another hamstring injury.
Collingwood VFL coach Jared Rivers said he was unsure of the extent of Elliott’s latest setback but conceded it did not look good for the injury-riddled 25-year-old.
“You knew when he walked off he did something but to be honest I can’t tell you too much,” Collingwood VFL coach Jared Rivers said.
“We felt another four-quarter game with him would definitely put him in selection for next week.
“It’s really testing us now with a few key boys out but we’ve done that all year, we’ve relied on people coming in to play their role.
“It’s getting thin but we’re backing our boys in at AFL and VFL to do the job.”
Jamie Elliott appears to have suffered another injury setback.
The 25-year-old has had a wretched run with injuries and has not played a game this season after undergoing ankle surgery in the pre-season and then suffering two hamstring injuries.
He missed the entire 2016 season with a back injury before returning to play 17 games for the Magpies last year.
He is out of contract at season’s end.

It is another bitter blow for Collingwood, who on Saturday lost defender Matthew Scharenberg to an expected ACL injury and Jeremy Howe to concussion, while forward Brody Mihocek on Sunday had scans on an ankle injury sustained against the Tigers.
On Thursday it was also revealed star midfielder/forward Jordan De Goey would miss at least two matches with bone stress in his leg.
In better news for the Magpies, forward Alex Fasolo and midfielder James Aish came through their second games back unscathed and will be in the selection mix to face Sydney on Saturday night.
Elliott had been working his way back to full match fitness. Picture: Getty
Defender Adam Oxley also put his hand up to replace Scharenberg.
Promoted category B rookie Jack Madgen could also come in for his debut after the emerging defender was elevated to the senior list in place of Lynden Dunn on Thursday.
Madgen spent four years playing college basketball in America but could make his first appearance at senior level next weekend as Collingwood looks for backline reinforcements.
“Clearly with the injuries we’ve got down back now with ‘Dunny’ (Lynden Dunn) and now ‘Shaz’ (Scharenberg), he has put his hand up to possibly come in at some stage and make an impact,” Rivers said of Madgen.
“You’ve got him, you’ve got Ox (Oxley) as well who has been in really good form over the last month.”
Collingwood won the game 10.10 (70) to 9.8 (62) to keep their top-four hopes alive.

AFL Club
Carlton
The Phantom’s Round 18 Review: Young Saint set to become goalkicking version of Neale
The Phantom, The Advertiser
an hour ago
Subscriber only
THE minor round is over, SuperCoaches.
The road to the big dance is on.
If you didn’t make the finals in your league, it might be time to start looking ahead to 2019.
No, it’s never too early.
One player who is high on The Phantom’s 2019 watchlist is Saint Jade Gresham.
The skilful small-forward, who has started the transition into full-time AFL midfielder, featured in The Phantom’s forward-line points-of-difference story last week and he continued his good form with 113 SuperCoach points in Round 19.
It was Gresham’s fourth SuperCoach ton in the past six weeks.
Gresham ranks equal-14th in the Coleman Medal race with 32 goals and is the 10th-ranked player in the competition for scoreboard impact.
Impressive for a 20-year-old in his third season.
But it’s the numbers the first-round draft pick from 2015 has produced in the past two matches that indicates his days as a small-forward are over.

Play Video
Play
/
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

Giant leap into top 4
On Saturday against the Giants, for the second consecutive week, Gresham played predominantly as a midfielder, attending a season-high 11 centre bounces.
The 20-year-old tallied an equal career-high 25 disposals, eight contested possessions, seven score involvements and two goals.
A week earlier against the Tigers, the creative right-footer, posted 110 SuperCoach points, on the back of 24 disposals, 10 contested possessions, seven clearances, five tackles, seven score involvements, and two goals.
For those who followed Gresham’s career as a junior, these numbers should come as no surprise.
Saint Jade Gresham. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Docker Lachie Neale. Picture: Daniel Wilkins.
The former Northern Knights captain averaged 29 disposals, 12 contested possession and 146 SuperCoach points per game in the TAC Cup during his draft year.
Gresham replicated these numbers at the 2015 Under-18 Championships when he averaged 23 disposals, eight contested possessions and 134 SuperCoach points per game.
At 177cm, Gresham is the same height as Fremantle star Lachie Neale.
While Gresham is yet to show a similar ball-winning ability to Neale at the top level, he’s yet to have the same midfield opportunity.
It took Neale four years to average three figures in SuperCoach and 2019 will be Gresham’s fourth year in the competition.
I’m tipping a similar breakout year for Gresham next season.

Only he will kick more goals.
THE GOOD

North Melbourne’s Paul Ahern was best afield in his side’s win over the Eagles.
Paul Ahern, ladies and gentleman. In just his eight senior game, the 21-year-old, who has had two knee reconstructions after being selected at pick No. 7 by the Giants in 2014, recorded 37 disposals, 22 contested possessions, 12 clearances and 124 SuperCoach points. Well done to those who were able to take his score. Make sure you give yourself the option to do so in the next four weeks, especially with a number of underperforming — so called — premium forwards.
After — hopefully — reading The Phantom’s review last week, almost 1000 SuperCoaches traded in Tom Hawkins ahead of Round 19. And, boy, would they be happy!? The Geelong forward booted another seven goals on his way to a season-high 151 SuperCoach points. Hawkins’ five-round average of 125 is now the fifth-highest in the competition and 16 points better than the next best forward.
One I didn’t mention in the forward line points-of-difference last week was third-year Bulldog Josh Dunkley. My good friend at Champion Data, Fantasy Freako, tells me Dunkley ranks fourth in the AFL for tackles since Round 15. A greater midfield role has seen the 21-year-old post scores of 105, 86, 88, 105 and 147 in the past five matches.
THE BAD

It might be time to trade Swan star Lance Franklin, right.
Lance Franklin’s 52 points against the Bombers in Round 19 was his fourth score of 73 or less in the past five matches. While not many can bounce back like Buddy can, with a tough month ahead for the Swans, if you have the trades, it’s time to move him on.
Same goes with Docker Michael Walters, who had no influence in the first half against the Hawks, playing as a permanent forward.
THE PHANTOM’S MENACE
Ross Lyon
Don’t do a Richo on us, Ross. We want Michael Walters in the midfield.
THE PHANTOM ROUND 19
Score: 2384
Overall Ranking: 12,744
Originally published as The Phantom: The good, the bad and the breakout Saint

AFL Club
Carlton
SuperCoach market watch: Top scores, best trades for finals
Al Paton, Herald Sun
July 30, 2018 4:00pm
Subscriber only
THE sun isn’t shining and there isn’t much of a smell about the fresh-cut grass, but don’t be fooled - it’s finals time in SuperCoach.
The four-week finals series in private leagues kicks off this week with qualifying (if you were lucky enough to finish in the top four) and elimination finals.
That means you need to think strategically when planning your trades.
RAGE TRADES: DUSTY ON THE NOSE AGAIN
SUPER LADDER: WILL SWANS WIN ANOTHER GAME?

If you have the double chance, it might be wise to hold off. If it’s doe or die, now is the time to pull the trigger.
Before you do, do some opposition research. Look at your opponent’s squad and identify their strengths and weaknesses. Do they have a gun that you don’t? Maybe you can trade them in to cancel out their advantage.
It also pays to look at the fixture for the final four rounds.
Tom Hawkins is in brilliant form. Picture: Alison Wynd
Giants Stephen Coniglio and Heath Shaw.
Tom Hawkins showed why this can be so valuable when he booted seven goals and scored 151 points against Brisbane on Saturday. The red-hot Tomahawk faces Fremantle and Gold Coast, both at the Cattery, in the final two rounds - preliminary final week and Grand Final week in SuperCoach. The only reasons not to trade him in now are his inflated price tag ($568,800) and the fact he might find the going a bit tougher against Richmond at the MCG this week.
That fixture also makes Gary Ablett a very attractive option given his three-round average of 122.
If you need points this week, look no further than GWS and Melbourne players.
They face Carlton and Gold Coast respectively, and the Suns concede the most SuperCoach points to midfielders this year, and the Blues the second-most. That pushes Josh Kelly ($540,100 mid) and Clayton Oliver ($568,800 mid) to the top of the shopping list.
And for those in need of a defender (attention 18,000 Jeremy Howe owners) you could even take a punt on Heath Shaw.
The $445,800 defender has averaged 105 across his past three games including 107 against the Saints on Saturday. His past three against the Blues include a 118 and a 95.
Scott Selwood and Gary Ablett at Geelong training. Picture: Glenn FergusonROUND 19 STARS
173 Patrick Cripps
157 Brodie Grundy
156 Jackson Trengove
152 Marc Murphy
151 Tom Hawkins
WEEKLY TOP SCORES
2705 The Muppets, Chris
2673 CanberraBlues, Patrick
2662 Mahlas, Andreas
2651 BallSoHard, James
2647 FitzNumeroUno, Patrick
OVERALL LEADERS
43,474 Throbbing Hotspurs, Robert
43,428 Chrispys Critters, Chris
43,380 SnowSky, Callan
43,319 CharCole Chicken
43,298 Happy Feet FC
THIS WEEK’S WINNING TEAM
The Muppets
Coach: Chris White, Vic
Score: 2705
DEFENDERS
Elliot Yeo 128
Zach Tuohy 94
Jack Crisp 71
Kade Simpson 125
Rory Laird 91
Jake Lloyd 118
Mason Redman 0

Jordan Ridley 0
MIDFIELD
Tom Mitchell (c) 300
Patrick Cripps 173
Bryce Gibbs 118
Luke Parker 104
Gary Ablett 134
Josh Kelly 130
Jack Macrae 147
Patrick Dangerfield 117
Nick Holman 34
Jack Petrucelle 18
Dom Barry 0

RUCKS
Max Gawn 130
Brodie Grundy 157
Darcy Cameron 0
FORWARDS
Tom Hawkins 151
Devon Smith 97
Robbie Gray 65
Lance Franklin 52
Mitch Robinson 79
Paul Ahern 124
Tim Smith 0
Michael Apeness 0

Patrick Cripps celebrates a goal against Gold Coast.PLAYER OF THE WEEK: PATRICK CRIPPS
Cripps led the Blues to victory with a round-high 173 SuperCoach points against Gold Coast. It was his work on the inside that stood out yet again, winning a team-high 17 contested possessions, while he also generated five clearances. He finished with 37 disposals, 11 tackles and a goal.
CHAMPION DATA MARKET WATCH
BRODIE GRUNDY
Grundy starred in his 100th AFL game, finishing with a season-high 157 SuperCoach points. He won the ruck battle against Toby Nankervis, winning the hitouts-to-advantage 9-1, while also having 23 disposals, 12 contested possessions, five clearances and a game-high 10 tackles.
LANCE FRANKLIN
Franklin’s impact was minimal against the Bombers, scoring a season-low 52 SuperCoach points including just 10 points in the first half. He finished with four effective disposals, two marks, one tackle, two score assists and two goals from 87 per cent game time. Franklin’s price also nosedived by $15,900.
LUKE BREUST
Breust has reached 100 SuperCoach points in six of his past seven games after scoring 113 in the win over Fremantle. He was once again among the goals with a game-high of four, also having 16 effective disposals, 14 uncontested possessions, four tackles and three inside-50s.
YOUNG GUN: PAUL AHERN
Ahern had a blinder against the Eagles on his way to a season-high 124 SuperCoach points, jumping in price by $35,400 in the process. He finished with 37 disposals, 22 contested possessions, five inside 50s and a game-high 12 clearances from 75% game time. Ahern won a game-high 18 disposals and 17 contested possessions pre-clearance.
PERFECT 9
The SuperCoach Perfect 9 jackpot has hit $300,000.
All you have to do is nominate the top SuperCoach scorer in each game of Round 20. Get them all right and the money is yours. And entry is free.
Pick your Perfect 9 line-up now!