News Herald Sun SuperCoach Articles

AFL Club
Carlton
KFC SuperCoach: The Investor and The Phantom look at the big issues for Round 18
For KFC SuperCoaches, the elephant in the room is lack of trades. So what is the best strategy with six rounds still to go? Investor Dan Begala explains his plan.

Daniel Begala

The curtains have closed on a monumental round of KFC SuperCoach that saw most coaches, including yours truly, register their highest dividend yields of FY21.
The market was brimming with positive sentiment from the get-go with a swathe of popular blue chip stocks generating dividends well in excess of their season-long averages.

The theme of Round 17, you ask?

Outperformance.

Although the market was awash with euphoria we were, however, reminded of the paramount importance of retaining an appropriate trade buffer, or, repertoire for the final stanza of FY21.

The KFC SuperCoach Investor, Daniel Begala, navigates the key investment thematic plaguing the minds of coaches as we embark towards the most exciting, yet, tumultuous period of the AFL season.

Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Lachie Whitfield will serve the mandatory 12-day concussion period. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM: TRADES
The main issue impacting coaches alike – if you’ve had your head in the sand – is the scarcity of trades, or, lack thereof when it matters most.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the new season of Dave on BINGE Get BINGE Basic from only $10/mth
The KFC SuperCoach Investor, Daniel Begala, currently boasts a fully-fledged line-up of premium assets across each and every line of his portfolio.

The only concern, however, is that his trade repertoire is limited to two injury. or form-related. trades at the business end of proceedings.

Let me remind you, folks, there are still six – yes, six – rounds of football to navigate and that can feel like an eternity if you’ve exhausted all of your trades.

In Round 18 alone, we saw injuries to popular players including Changkuoth Jiath (season-over), Kyle Langford (hamstring) and perennial blue chipper, Lachie Whitfield, who succumbed to an innocuous concussion incident and will miss – at a minimum – Round 18.

You can all-but guarantee, investors, that your portfolio will be impacted by an injury prior to season’s end so it’s integral that you set, or better yet, manage your own expectations.

TRADE GUIDE: ALL THE BEST OPTIONS AHEAD OF ROUND 18

Rowan Marshall is still great buying in KFC SuperCoach. Picture: Michael Klein
The KFC SuperCoach Investor, despite the allure of Brodie Grundy at R2, opted for Rowan Marshall to fill the void for the sole purpose of retaining an extra trade (2) and these are the types of decisions coaches will need to implement as dusk begins to settle on FY21.

What do we call this, folks?

Sacrifice.

My portfolio will ultimately underperform by 25-30 points per week in the ruck alone, however, the comfort of an additional trade, and the flexibility this offers, suited the inherent conservatism of this particular investor.

Just imagine – hypothetically – if Max Gawn or any other blue chip asset was rested, injured or missed, and you had no coverage or a trade to address the sudden absence.

Now extrapolate this absence over two, three and four weeks.

The impact of a trading halt can be catastrophic and undo all of your meticulous work if you end up foregoing 100 additional points per week.

The ultimate decision, folks, is how you choose to balance the relentless pursuit for rankings and the honour that ensues with league victory and success.

Choose your own adventure, investors, and stay the course.

AFL Club
Carlton
DEPTH CHARTS
The depth of your bench coverage will be the most influential assets within your portfolio mix between now and season’s end.

Mark. The. Investors. Words.

As they say in AFL terms, your team is only as strong as your bottom four-to-six players and the clubs with high-performing state-league programs typically perform best at the business end of the year.

What’s the essential ingredient?

Depth.

If you’ve thrown caution to the wind and traded your way – aggressively – towards a robust blue chip portfolio, you will certainly be running the trade and injury gauntlet.

Most coaches that win the ultimate prize, $50K, have exhausted their trade allocation not long after the byes as they place their faith in the twenty-two blue chip assets until season’s end.

It’s not for the faint-hearted, though, as the futility of being unable to trade an injured star in the run home is possibly one of the most underwhelming sensations you can have in our great game.

But let’s not focus on the negatives, folks, as the euphoria of a successful season bookended by rankings or league success far outweighs the risk of your portfolio imploding as your trades dwindle, or, exhaust.

Lachlan Bramble starred last week against the Dockers, playing a KFC SuperCoach-friendly role in defence. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
The tip for mitigating any of these issues arising is to ensure you place the upmost emphasis on bench depth with dual-position flexibility the preferred default position of the KFC SuperCoach Investor.

At this moment, players such as Lachlan Bramble (MID), Trent Bianco (MID/DEF), Thomas Highmore (DEF) and Cody Weightman (FWD) reflect ideal coverage for the run home.

They’re not your first-line selections, but they’re all capable of a decent score when, or if, called upon in the absence of a blue chip stock.

Most importantly, they’re being picked.

Exhibit A: Bramble - 120 KFC SuperCoach points in Round 17.

The Begala Brigade, however, has a gaping hole at F7 (Kieran Briggs) that could prove to be a scoring sieve if called into ‘action’ given he looks unlikely to be selected soon, after being overlooked in favour of Matt Flynn for Round 18.

Enter the two trades held aside for a “rainy” KFC SuperCoach day.

It is essential, folks, that you retain and nurture as much of your bench squadron as possible as in all likelihood, many will be summonsed for scoring duty should an injury crisis bestow your portfolio.

They’re not steak knives, investors, but can sometimes be the barometer of your side, league and rankings success.

Don’t be sleeping on your bench, folks.

THE ADVERTISER2:15
KFC SuperCoach AFL: Hot & Cold, Round 17

NOW PLAYING
Resume

2:32
UP NEXT

• Protesters stall operations at Chinese-owned Tasmanian mine
    3:46
    Cancel

• Australia can learn a 'great deal' from UK COVID strategy
    7:30

• 'States can't keep closing down' for those who refuse to be vaccinated
    8:07

Al Paton lists a few of the players who's performances are standing out... one way or another!

THE PHANTOM’S BURNING QUESTIONS
Another round, another KFC SuperCoach injury.

Yes, listening to me saying ‘anything can, and will, happen in the run home’ over again may be annoying, but do you now know why I continue to say it?

That’s rhetorical, not burning.

Is Lachie Whitfield going to play?
The star Giant was subbed out of the Round 17 clash with the Suns at half-time and was diagnosed with concussion on Monday, meaning he won’t be able to play for 12 days under the mandatory protocols.

He won’t play in the Sydney Derby in Round 18, and 12 days from Monday is the Friday of Round 19 – fortunately for owners, the Giants-Bombers fixture has been locked in for the Saturday twilight slot, so he should miss just the one week.

So, do I trade him?
If – and it is possible given his history with migraines – Whitfield misses two matches, it means he’s out for a third of the season from his point.

On that percentage, you could make an argument for trading – but only if you have five trades or more remaining.

Yes, those KFC SuperCoaches do exist.

But, if you’re not one of them, and have the cover on the bench, hold him for now.

Kyle Langford was subbed off with hamstring tightness in Round 17. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Daniel Pockett
I am one of those KFC SuperCoaches, who should I trade him to?
Geelong’s Tom Stewart, the third-ranked defender behind Rory Laird and Callum Mills, is only $30k away, while Bomber Jordan Ridley, who has now posted four consecutive KFC SuperCoach tons, will cost you even less.

If you don’t have cash in the bank, Tiger Jayden Short, who has reached three figures in three of his past four matches, is available for $482k, while Nic Newman – in a Blues defence missing Sam Docherty – is still good buying at $444k.

AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting…I’m down to 2 trade, shou …
I’ll cut you off - no.

Unless, maybe, you are in the top 20 overall and want to have one last crack.

If you are, though, you have probably stopped listening to me.

What about Kyle Langford?
Hamstring tightness was the word out of the Bombers on Friday night, after the midfielder was subbed out against the Crows.

Unless he has hamstrings like Sean Darcy – who missed three days earlier this season – it could mean at least one week on the sidelines.

And, let’s face it, no one has hamstrings like the big fella.

Back-to-back scores of 180 or more, boy, oh, boy, wowee.

Forget R2 next year, he’s going straight to the top – well on price, anyway.

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Calm down, Phant. Am I trading Langford?
The Bombers on Tuesday night that Langford, in fact, does have a hamstring strain and that they hope to get him back “in a few weeks”.

That’s a definite two, likely three, meaning he falls into trade territory.

What about Changkuouth Jiath?
More than 28,000 KFC SuperCoaches still own the emerging Hawthorn star – and yes, I am one of them.

Jiath, who was the star of the first two and a half quarters for the Hawks on Saturday, hurt his knee late in the third term and was subbed out of the game at the final change.

And, unfortunately, the short-term outlook isn’t good for owners.

“CJ has got some form of PCL injury, so he is unlikely to play for some time,” coach Alastair Clarkson said post-match.

“We’ll probably take a conservative approach with him and with only six weeks it will probably mean that it would be doubtful he gets back for this year.”

This is a definite trade.

But, despite his 94 points in just 58 per cent game-time, Jiath’s price tag of $406k makes it a difficult one.

Nick Haynes has taken 23 intercept marks in the past five matches. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images
If I’ve got three trades left, and no cash, can I afford to use two to move on Jiath for a big name?
Now that is a good question.

It is, in fact, my question and, yes, I’ve reverted to complimenting myself – it’s been a long year.

I love the idea of swinging Rory Laird back to defence and upgrading Jiath to Clayton Oliver. It makes my on-field team look pretty bloody good.

But, given I would need to make an extra downgrade, that would leave me with one trade and take away my swing defensive cover in Laird.

So, I’m going to go after the value. And I can’t afford any of the players mentioned above - if I could get to Newman, you know I would.

But I think there’s enough to like in Giant Nick Haynes to just use the one trade.

The $431k defender has posted scores of 118, 96, 94, 87 and 86 since the bye, after resuming the KFC SuperCoach-friendly floating tall role in the Giants’ defence - similar to the one that saw him average 106 points per game in the first 16 rounds last year.

After taking just 10 intercept marks to Round 11 this season, Haynes has recorded 23 in the past five matches.

His total intercept possessions have increased, too, with the 29-year-old tallying 55 – 15 last week against the Suns – since Round 11.

You may not have Jiath, but this type of thinking is something to keep in mind if an injury pops up elsewhere in your side.

Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey had a big impact in the midfield again. Picture: Michael Klein
I need to find that value option at the other end, should I consider Jordan De Goey?
You should’ve last week.

But his 29-disposal, 124-point performance against the Tigers is official confirmation.

After equalling his career-high disposal tally in each of his previous two matches - and with his midfield percentage through the roof - De Goey’s positional shift, with Jamie Elliot back in the forward line, was clear.

Now, it’s hard to overlook.

The 25-year-old had 12 contested possessions, eight score involvements – including one goal and two direct assists – and nine groundball-gets to go with his 29 disposals on Sunday.

A great F6 option to finish your forward line.

Would you pick him over Rowan Marshall?
Another good question.

For $438k, if you have a ruck-forward swing at R3, then Marshall is your man.

His game-time increased slightly – up from 65 to 71 per cent – against the Lions, and he knocked out another solid score of 95 as he continues to build after returning from injury.

The Saints play the Power this week, a side Marshall has scored 160 and 139 against in the past two.

I’m playing for league glory and I have 7 trades left, would you trade Max Gawn for Darcy, Phant?
Very specific, but yes, it could be the move that brings you KFC SuperCoach premiership glory.

Josh Dunkley is set to return in Round 18. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
What about Josh Dunkley?
He’s back - that’s the good news.

“Josh’s rehabilitation following his shoulder reconstruction has gone fantastically well,” Bulldogs head of sports medicine Chris Bell told the club’s website on Tuesday.

“He has been back into full training for the last couple of weeks and hasn’t missed a beat.

“He will be looking to put his hand up for selection this weekend.”

But the big question is, at $634k, how do you get there?

The other problem is, after scores of 113, 132, 132, 117, 148 and 132 before his time on the sidelines, Dunkley has a breakeven of 94.

More Coverage
SuperCoach Plus: 11 stats to help your team this weekNAB League Top 50: Best SuperCoach scores revealedSuperCoach trade guide: Who’s hot, who’s cheap
The only thing is when the star midfielder returned from injury last year, he failed to reach three figures in the first three matches. That was an ankle, injury, though - he’s been running after shoulder surgery.

Might be one for those 7-trade KFC SuperCoaches - for now, anyway.

AFL Club
Collingwood
THE WINNERS
Dyson Heppell (Ess) 2021 MID > 2022 DEF
Jack Billings (StK) 2021 MID > 2022 FWD-MID
Mitch Duncan (Geel) 2021 MID > 2022 FWD-MID
Lachie Hunter (WB) 2021 MID > 2022 FWD-MID
Lachie Weller (GC) 2021 MID > 2022 FWD-MID
Tim English (WB) 2021 RUC > 2022 RUC-FWD
Dan Houston (Port) 2021 DEF > 2022 DEF-MID
Harry Perryman (GWS) 2021 MID > 2022 DEF
Mark Blicavs (Geel) 2021 DEF-MID > 2022 DEF-RUC
Jake Stringer (Ess) 2021 FWD > 2022 FWD-MID
Hunter Clark (StK) 2021 DEF > 2022 DEF-MID
Tarryn Thomas (NM) 2021 FWD > 2022 FWD-MID
Liam Duggan (WC) 2021 DEF > 2022 DEF-MID
Jack Lukosiu (GC) 2021 DEF > 2022 DEF-MID
Zak Butters (Port) 2021 FWD > 2022 FWD-MID
Jordan De Goey (Coll) 2021 FWD > 2022 FWD-MID

Mitch Duncan, Jack Billings, Lachie Hunter and Tim English are the headline acts here, given they’re all currently on track to become forwards in 2022. Duncan has spent 40% of his time on ground as a forward this year, and with a PCL injury likely to rule him out of the rest of the home and away season, it’s pretty safe to lock him in as a forward for 2022. Bulldogs pair English (41% forward) and Hunter (50% forward) appear safe given their current percentages too. Billings could go either way, though, having spent 36% of his time as a forward and the majority of his time on a wing (which counts toward midfield status). If you’re looking to trade him in, it’s worth watching him closely in the next few weeks before offering a king’s ransom to a rival coach.
@stephen

re Thomas

AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Herbie I knew it was here somewhere but couldn't find it. I'm definitely interested.
Be interesting where he fits.

Danger , Duncan , Dunkley , Dusty , Hunter , Sidebottom , Zorko (?) etc etc

Bailey , Billings , Bolton , Butters

maybe English & Marshall

Dixon , Hawkins

Does Anderson affect Thomas ?

Last edited:
AFL Club
St Kilda
Be interesting where he fits.

Danger , Duncan , Dunkley , Dusty , Hunter , Sidebottom , Zorko (?) etc etc

Bailey , Billings , Bolton , Butters

maybe English & Marshall

Dixon , Hawkins

Does Anderson affect Thomas ?
Good point. Will be pretty stacked if they stay fit. You'd think we'll be aiming to end up with something like Danger, Dunkley, Duncan, English, Marshall, Dusty. Not much room for error with the breakout picks. Bit of a shame. Time to get on the phone with the app developers to get your advanced version up with the KPF spots and the tighter salary cap and fewer trades.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Good point. Will be pretty stacked if they stay fit. You'd think we'll be aiming to end up with something like Danger, Dunkley, Duncan, English, Marshall, Dusty. Not much room for error with the breakout picks. Bit of a shame. Time to get on the phone with the app developers to get your advanced version up with the KPF spots and the tighter salary cap and fewer trades.
1 Ruck
2 KPD & 2 KPF
1 General Forward
1 General Defender
2 Wingers
9 Mids

Obviously a long way to go until 2022 but forwards doesn't seem the line to take any breakouts or speculative picks with what looks like being available to select

AFL Club
Hawthorn
KFC SuperCoach 2022: The Phantom’s early rookie bible

It’s January and the KFC SuperCoach pre-season is officially underway. To kick things off, The Phantom looks at the rookie options, and all their numbers, for 2022.

The Phantom

9 min read

January 3, 2022 - 6:00AM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Happy New Year, KFC SuperCoaches!

Is your resolution to nail all of your rookie picks in 2022?

Well, you’ve come to the right place.

From mature-age recruits and the top draftees to recycled players and second-year stars, the next crop of cash cows is starting to emerge.

With the official opening of the game for next season getting closer, here’s a look at all the best cheap options ($230k or less) on every line.

DEFENDERS

Will Gould (Syd) $123,900

Surely this is the young Swan’s year. Surely. We’ve been talking about Gould ever since he starred at SANFL level in his draft year, but, mainly due to concerns over his fitness, he failed to make a senior appearance in his first two years at the club. It won’t be easy breaking in, but with Braeden Campbell and Justin McInerney a chance to be used further up the ground to help fill the Jordan Dawson void, Gould, who averaged 83 points in the VFL last season, is in the mix. You’ve heard that before, I know, but ‘new year, new me’ and all that.

Charlie Dean (Coll) $102,400

A mature-age intercept defender, who won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal as the VFL’s best young player? Yes, please. And, no, I’m not talking about KFC SuperCoach star Luke Ryan, who did just that in 2016. The ready-made Dean averaged eight intercepts and 85 KFC SuperCoach points per game for Williamstown, and made it all the way through to Collingwood in the rookie draft, meaning a basement price tag in 2022.

Garrett McDonagh (Ess) $117,300

Like Dean, McDonagh is another mature-age draftee to keep an eye on over summer, because you don’t pick 25-year-old’s from the VFL to develop them. And Bombers list boss, Adrian Dodoro, confirmed just that post-draft, declaring the long-kicking defender “could possible play very early on in the piece”. McDonagh, a terrific runner who is a great ball user by foot, averaged 21 disposals, five intercepts, five rebound-50s and 84 KFC SuperCoach points in the VFL last season.

Sam Skinner $123,900 (Port), Fwd

Sticking with the mature-age theme, the former Lion is another who could have an impact in KFC SuperCoach in 2022. Skinner was signed by the Power as a delisted free agent after a switch to defence saw him dominate the back-half of the SANFL season for South Adelaide. After shifting back, Skinner, who played three games in five injury-ravaged seasons at Brisbane, averaged 19 disposals, 11 intercepts – seven of them marks – and 113 KFC SuperCoach points between Rounds 16 and 21. The 24-year-old took a remarkable 41 intercept marks in the final seven matches for the year, patrolling the air for the Panthers in a similar way Tom Highmore did before he was drafted. Another who is ready to step in, if Port Adelaide needs.

Bodhi Uwland (GC) $102,400, Mid

There’s been little talk about Uwland, who was pre-listed by Gold Coast under the club’s draft concessions. But he’s a competitive beast who is ready to go after mixing it with the bigger bodies at VFL and QAFL level in 2021. Uwland averaged 63 points in six VFL matches, with his 19-disposal, 10-intercept, 112-point performance against Sydney the highlight. And the teenager also posted KFC SuperCoaches scores of 151 and 120 in his two NAB League appearances. The make-up of the Suns’ 22 will be interesting, but he’s one to keep on the radar.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
MIDFIELDERS

Jason Horne-Francis (NM) $207,300

The No. 1 pick could’ve played for North Melbourne last season and, barring injury, is a certainty to debut in Round 1. And you need to start him in KFC SuperCoach, too. No, he’s not too expensive. And, no, it doesn’t matter if he spends plenty of time forward. Horne-Francis played the midfield-forward role at senior level for the past 18 months and averaged 16 disposals, nine contested possessions and 88 KFC SuperCoach points, while also booting 15 goals, in 20 matches last season. In his last appearance at SANFL under-18 level, the explosive teenager posted scores of 117, 141, 172, 166, 181 and 167 in his only six matches as a bottom-age player in 2020.

Nick Daicos (Coll) $193,800

Daicos, too, could’ve featured for the Magpies in 2021 and is another who looks set to be worth the top-end rookie price tag in KFC SuperCoach. The big talking point over the pre-season, however, will be can you afford to start both? The father-son selection, who has the versatility and skill set to be used on each line, averaged 36 disposals, two goals and 159 KFC SuperCoach points in five NAB League games in 2021 and, despite his ability to win so much of the ball, is a player who should still score well early in his career with fewer touches.

Greg Clark (WC) $117,300

He’s a little older, but the mature-age Eagle is another who could have an instant impact and be KFC SuperCoach gold in 2022. In a phenomenal WAFL season, Clark averaged 27 disposals, 11 contested possessions, seven tackles and a huge 128 KFC SuperCoach points in 18 non-injury-affected matches. The strong-bodied, 192cm midfielder capped off the year with a 181-point performance, on the back of 25 disposals, 14 tackles, six clearances and two goals, to win the medal as best afield in the WAFL Grand Final.

Matty Roberts (Syd) $117,300

If we’re picking on numbers alone, Roberts would have to be the first rookie picked in most KFC SuperCoach sides. The ball magnet impressed in South Adelaide’s senior side in 2021 but in his 10 under-18 matches in the past two years, Roberts posted scores of 240, 188, 175, 139, 208, 146, 120, 125, 160 and 104. Yep, two KFC SuperCoach double tons. And given there was some concern of his athletic ability, he slid to the Swans’ pick 34, giving him a very appealing price tag in 2022. His ability to have an impact forward of centre in the SANFL late in the year will help his chances of breaking into the Swans’ side, but there is plenty of young midfield talent in Sydney already.

Finlay Macrae (Coll) $206,800

It was a frustrating first KFC SuperCoach season for Macrae, who battled for regular opportunity in Collingwood’s best 22. But he showed in spurts his elite ball-winning ability, highlighted by his 20-disposal performance in just 61 per cent game time against the Hawks in Round 21. Remind you of anyone? A consistent midfield role for Macrae could bring a serious KFC SuperCoach spike, quickly.

Josh Ward (Haw) $180,300

Hawthorn’s top pick is another with terrific KFC SuperCoach potential and, in a developing Hawks engine room, could feature early in his debut season. The midfielder, in the mould of Essendon star Zach Merrett, finished the NAB League season with scores of 136, 124, 174 and 140. In a performance which highlights his multiple avenues of scoring, Ward tallied 34 disposals, 17 contested possessions, eight clearances, eight tackles, five intercepts and five score involvements in the final game of the year.

Robbie McComb (WB) $102,400

Luke Beveridge gave mature-age recruits Anthony Scott and Lachie McNeill a Round 1 debut in 2021, with both going on to be significant KFC SuperCoach cash cows. McComb, plucked from the VFL in the rookie draft, could be set to follow a similar path if he can impress over summer. The 25-year-old won Footscray’s best-and-fairest after averaging 26 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles, five clearances and 106 KFC SuperCoach points. McComb is an elite runner, and energetic around the contest, with his ability to hit the scoreboard also likely to keep him in Beveridge’s thinking.

Alex Davies (GC) $202,500

Gold Coast has a Hugh Greenwood replacement waiting in its wings. Davies, a 191cm midfielder, is a contested-ball star, who hunts the body when he doesn’t get his hands on it first, like Greenwood did during his time at the Suns. On debut in the final round last season, Davies won 14 of his 17 possessions in a contest and applied six tackles, on his way to 62 KFC SuperCoach points. In his final four VFL matches before the season was called off, the 19-year-old Suns Academy graduate averaged 21 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven clearances, seven tackles and 111 KFC SuperCoach points.

Charlie Constable (GC) $213,400

Suns coach Stuart Dew also has big-bodied midfielder Constable to help fill the Greenwood void after the former Cat was given a lifeline by Gold Coast in the national draft. Numbers have never been a problem for Constable, opportunity – and maybe what he does without the ball – has. He scored 90 KFC SuperCoach points on debut and had 31 touches in his second game but was dropped after his fourth. That was in April 2019, and he’s made just eight senior appearances since, despite being a class above a stage league level. The 22-year-old averaged 113 in Geelong’s reserves side during that strange debut season and finished his time at the Cats with scores of 175, 132 and 146 before the VFL season was called off in 2021.

Jackson Mead (Port) $123,900

After battling hamstring injuries during his first season at the club in 2020, Mead was pressing for a debut last season before he collapsed during a SANFL game and missed 12 weeks with a lacerated spleen. But the left-footer finished the year strongly at state league level, tallying 27 disposals and six clearances through the midfield in Round 15, before showing his versatility behind the ball, recording 15 intercept possessions and KFC SuperCoach scores of 107 and 93 in the final two rounds. The 20-year-old is also strong overhead and can play forward, as he proved at junior level. But a fully-fit Mead, who averaged 106 points for his state during his draft year as onballer, could be the one to add something different to Port Adelaide’s midfield in 2022.

Dylan Stephens (Syd) $167,800

A hard-running, skilful midfielder, Stephens was in and out of the Sydney side last year, robbing him of any sort of consistent opportunity. But with Jordan Dawson moving to the Crows, there’s a vacant spot on the wing and the left-footer, who is heading into his third season at the club, could be the one to benefit. Stephens, who won the club’s first 2km time trial of the pre-season, averaged 104 KFC SuperCoach points in eight VFL games in 2021 and 82 points at SANFL level as a 17-year-old before he was drafted.
RUCKS

Braydon Preuss (GWS) $204,700

If you were interested last year at $303k, after he joined the Giants looking for more opportunity, during the trade period, Preuss should be high on your radar at a heavily discounted price in 2022. He didn’t play a game due to injury last season but the cheap R2 strategy could be back on. Remember, in the three games he played without Max Gawn at the Demons, Preuss posted scores of 84, 85 and 140. And in his two at North Melbourne without Todd Goldstein, he scored 111 and an injury-affected 39.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
FORWARDS

Elijah Hollands (GC) $123,900, Mid

As a $123k dual position midfielder-forward, Hollands looms as a popular rookie-price pick – and rightly so. The pick 7 from last year’s draft hasn’t played a senior game but he’s on track to feature early in 2021, after an impressive finish to his debut season at VFL level. After working his way back from an ACL tear, Hollands, an explosive 188cm midfielder who can play forward, tallied 27 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five clearances and 112 KFC SuperCoach points in his third and final game for the year.

Josh Rachele (Adel) $184,800, Mid

The Crows need class, skill and x-factor forward of centre, and Rachele fits the bill right away. Adelaide’s top pick has already impressed on the track and if all goes well over summer, will improve Matthew Nicks’ side offensively from Round 1. The 18-year-old averaged 129 KFC SuperCoach points and booted 11 goals in four games, playing as a forward, in the NAB League last year. In 2019, he averaged 26 disposals, 11 contested possessions, six score involvements and 124 points for Vic Metro as a midfielder. He’ll start forward for the Crows but so creative and smart is Rachele, he won’t need a lot of the ball to score well.

Will Brodie (Freo) $224,300, Mid

In four VFL seasons at the Suns, Brodie averaged 121, 127, 124 and 100. But he managed just 25 senior appearances at the club after being drafted in 2016. And that’s despite ranking first at the Suns for hardball-gets, second for tackles and handballs, third for disposals, fourth for clearances and fifth for contested possessions in the final six games of 2019. Yes, I’ve been unhappy about this for a while. New coach Justin Longmuir likes Brodie’s strength – so will that be enough? I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Charlie Curnow (Carl) $224,300

A fit Charlie Curnow, who averaged 74 and 77 in his last two injury-free years – his second and third in the competition – is almost a no-brainer. And the signs are good so far this summer, but the fact is the talented forward has played just 15 games since 2019.

Kaine Baldwin (Ess) $123,900

Baldwin join the Bombers as an SSP signing in early 2021 after being overlooked in the draft. In terms of talent, the Glenelg junior was on par with fellow South Australians Riley Thilthorpe and Lachie Jones, but two knee reconstructions saw him overlooked. He’s on the way, however, to completing a full pre-season and could be one to surprise in 202 – and not just in KFC SuperCoach.

Charlie Parker (WB) $102,400, Mid

In a similar story to McComb, the Bulldogs pick mature-agers to play them. And they love Parker’s kicking and run – two traits that would add another layer to an impressive line-up. The 24-year-old, who was playing amateur footy in Adelaide two years ago, wasn’t a huge ball-winner at SANFL level in 2021, averaging 14 disposals and 68 points in nine games for Sturt. But, with a booming right-foot and dual-position status as a basement-price rookie, keep him on the radar.

AFL Club
Richmond
FORWARDS

Elijah Hollands (GC) $123,900, Mid

As a $123k dual position midfielder-forward, Hollands looms as a popular rookie-price pick – and rightly so. The pick 7 from last year’s draft hasn’t played a senior game but he’s on track to feature early in 2021, after an impressive finish to his debut season at VFL level. After working his way back from an ACL tear, Hollands, an explosive 188cm midfielder who can play forward, tallied 27 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five clearances and 112 KFC SuperCoach points in his third and final game for the year.

Josh Rachele (Adel) $184,800, Mid

The Crows need class, skill and x-factor forward of centre, and Rachele fits the bill right away. Adelaide’s top pick has already impressed on the track and if all goes well over summer, will improve Matthew Nicks’ side offensively from Round 1. The 18-year-old averaged 129 KFC SuperCoach points and booted 11 goals in four games, playing as a forward, in the NAB League last year. In 2019, he averaged 26 disposals, 11 contested possessions, six score involvements and 124 points for Vic Metro as a midfielder. He’ll start forward for the Crows but so creative and smart is Rachele, he won’t need a lot of the ball to score well.

Will Brodie (Freo) $224,300, Mid

In four VFL seasons at the Suns, Brodie averaged 121, 127, 124 and 100. But he managed just 25 senior appearances at the club after being drafted in 2016. And that’s despite ranking first at the Suns for hardball-gets, second for tackles and handballs, third for disposals, fourth for clearances and fifth for contested possessions in the final six games of 2019. Yes, I’ve been unhappy about this for a while. New coach Justin Longmuir likes Brodie’s strength – so will that be enough? I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Charlie Curnow (Carl) $224,300

A fit Charlie Curnow, who averaged 74 and 77 in his last two injury-free years – his second and third in the competition – is almost a no-brainer. And the signs are good so far this summer, but the fact is the talented forward has played just 15 games since 2019.

Kaine Baldwin (Ess) $123,900

Baldwin join the Bombers as an SSP signing in early 2021 after being overlooked in the draft. In terms of talent, the Glenelg junior was on par with fellow South Australians Riley Thilthorpe and Lachie Jones, but two knee reconstructions saw him overlooked. He’s on the way, however, to completing a full pre-season and could be one to surprise in 202 – and not just in KFC SuperCoach.

Charlie Parker (WB) $102,400, Mid

In a similar story to McComb, the Bulldogs pick mature-agers to play them. And they love Parker’s kicking and run – two traits that would add another layer to an impressive line-up. The 24-year-old, who was playing amateur footy in Adelaide two years ago, wasn’t a huge ball-winner at SANFL level in 2021, averaging 14 disposals and 68 points in nine games for Sturt. But, with a booming right-foot and dual-position status as a basement-price rookie, keep him on the radar.
I can't see Josh Rachele being an option.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
KFC SuperCoach 2022: The breakout players ready to take the next step
The key to getting the jump on the competition in KFC SuperCoach is identifying the players set to take the next step. The Phantom names 7 potential breakouts.
The Phantom
6 min read

January 19, 2022 - 6:00AM
SuperCoach
Don't miss out on the headlines from SuperCoach. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow

Every KFC SuperCoach knows the big guns - the stars of the game almost guaranteed to score well.
But the key to getting the jump on the rest of the competition - in your league or in the race for the grand prize - is identifying the players set to take the next step.
Sure, it can backfire - we’ve all been there - but finding the value in KFC SuperCoach is one of the keys to building the foundation of a successful year.
Here are seven players The Phantom is tipping to increase their average significantly in 2022.
Caleb Serong (Freo)
$451,000, Mid
2021 average: 83
Predicted average 2022: 104

When trying to identify the next breakout star, role change, more opportunity, big junior numbers and a strong finish to the previous season are some of the things you should be looking for.
It’s not often you find a player who fits under each category – but when you do, it feels so right.
Sorry, I couldn’t resist. But it does feel right for the emerging Dockers star in 2022.
Often last season – his second in the competition – Serong was used as a tagger by coach Justin Longmuir, who described the role as the 20-year-old earning his midfield stripes.
But when he was given more freedom to win his own ball, he thrived. Serong tallied 26 disposals or more in seven matches last season and won at least 30 in each of the final three rounds.
In that huge three-game stretch to finish 2021, Serong, averaged 32 disposals, 10 contested possessions, seven clearances and 118 KFC SuperCoach points.
And his graduation to full-time ball-winner is likely to be fast-tracked with the departure of Adam Cerra - as long as he’s able to increase his time-on-ground from 74 per cent.
There are plenty of ticks there. But there’s one more – his junior numbers.
In his draft year of 2019, Serong, who is so clean with the ball and makes great decisions, averaged 130 KFC SuperCoach points at the under-18 carnival and 123 for Gippsland in the NAB League.
Phantom’s verdict: I’m trying very hard to squeeze him in.
Errol Gulden (Syd)
$415,600, Fwd
2021 average: 76
Predicted average 2022: 95

The young Swan’s first two games at AFL level will go down in KFC SuperCoach folklore.
Gulden had 21 disposals, three goals, three goal assists and 139 points on debut against the Lions in Round 1, before following it up with 22 disposals, 11 score involvements and 136 points week later.
The teenager gradually fell away after that, before spending time on the sidelines with a stress reaction in his foot.
But he returned late in the year and posted another big KFC SuperCoach ton against the Dockers in Round 19. Again, there was no huge possession tally – this time 23.
It’s what Gulden does with the ball, and where he wins it, that counts. In his first year, the skilful left-footer rated elite for inside 50s, effective kicks, intercept possessions and goal assists as a forward.
And it’s been that way for a while – Gulden has always been what some call a Champion Data player.
He posted scores of 168, 131 and 105 in his three NAB League games in his draft year and went 245, 177 and 149 at the national under-16 carnival the previous season. Across those six matches, he averaged 30 disposals.
Even if his role only increases slightly in 2022, he’ll win more of the ball and, with another pre-season under his belt, Gulden should be able to maintain a level more consistently.
Phantom’s verdict: Second-year breakouts are rare but so are back-to-back 130s to start your career. This is the guy I really want to pick. But, at this early stage, there might just be too much value below him in the forwards
Luke Davies-Uniacke (NM)
$462,100, Mid
2021 average: 85
Predicted average 2022: 101

Last year, Davies-Uniacke began showing why North Melbourne took him with pick 4 in the 2017 draft on a regular basis.
After battling groin and shoulder injury in his first three seasons, the 188cm midfielder showed off his explosiveness, ball-winning ability and game-breaking traits in 20 senior matches in 2021.
It resulted in five KFC SuperCoach tons, up from just two in his first 30 appearances at the top level.
Davies-Uniacke averaged 22 disposals last season and had 38 in a huge performance against the Tigers late in the year. From Round 14 onwards, he averaged 95 KFC SuperCoach points.
But the key to the fourth-year Kangaroo taking another step in 2022 could be where he wins the ball.
In that career-best showing against Richmond, 29 of Davies-Uniacke’s possessions were uncontested. Across the year, 40.7 per cent of his possession was won in a contest – a percentage that rated just average for a midfielder.
In his draft year, the now 22-year-old recorded a contested-possession rate of 48.3 per cent. He then won 59.6 per cent of his footy in a contest in his first VFL season for North Melbourne in 2018. It was a similar story in four reserves games a year later – 52 per cent.
With a consistent year under his belt, Davies Uniacke could win more of the ball in 2022 – and more of it in contest, resulting in another KFC SuperCoach spike.
Phantom’s verdict: One of those players where you can just see it by watching him. And the numbers are there, too. But there are also plenty of numbers in the North Melbourne midfield mix.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tom Green (GWS)
$430,000, Mid
2021 average: 79
Predicted average 2022: 100

You knew it was coming.
Fine, I will admit that I was … a year too early.
Dropped after one round, played forward, or sat on the bench for long periods, when he was picked and sent back to the VFL to tally 41 disposals and 189 points in June. It was an interesting year for Green.
But his best was still brilliant for a 20-year-old in his second season in the competition.
The tall midfielder had at least 22 disposals and 10 contested possessions in nine games to post KFC SuperCoach scores of 88, 111, 104, 71, 123, 98, 92, 70 119.
And Green, who is still the Champion Data contested possession record holder at junior level, spent more than 76 per cent of time on the field in just two of those matches.
Phantom’s verdict: I’m back onboard the Tom Green train – this time for a third-year breakout. But I haven’t yet found space for him.
Harry Schoenberg (Adel)
$390,200, Mid
2021 average: 72
Predicted average 2022: 90

The third-year Crow revealed earlier this summer his main focus over the pre-season was “just to get fitter and be able to play more midfield minutes”.
His words, not mine.
But Schoenberg’s growth as a midfielder started in the second-half of last season, with the 20-year-old averaging 22 disposals from Round 15 onwards after his centre bounce attendance increased by 15 per cent after the Crows’ Round 14 bye.
These numbers are more impressive given he played 72 per cent game-time or less in five of those nine matches.
Schoenberg, who averaged 128 points at junior level, posted three consecutive 90-point scores between Rounds 18 and 20, before breaking through for the second KFC SuperCoach ton of his career in the final game of the season.
The 115-point score, on the back of 24 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 10 score involvements, eight tackles and six clearances, again, proved he has multiple scoring avenues.
His 10.9 for the year is also an impressive feat.
But there are numbers of concern. Schoenberg’s nine clangers in the Round 21 Showdown meant a 31-disposal game resulted in just 68 points. And, overall, his disposal efficiency of 67.2 is rated below average.
Phantom’s verdict: Next step? Yes, I think so. Full-blow breakout in KFC SuperCoach? I’m still deciding.
Hayden Young (Freo)
$418,400, Def
2021 average: 77
Predicted average 2022: 95

After recovering from an early-season injury, the attacking defender made an outstanding return – at all levels.
Young posted KFC SuperCoach scores of 100 and 109 in the WAFL before finishing with 13 disposals and 54 points in his return to the senior side in Round 19.
But it didn’t take long for the elite left-footer to make his mark, averaging 19 disposals, seven intercepts, seven marks and 98 KFC SuperCoach points in the final four games of the year.
Young, who passed three figures in each of his 12 NAB League appearances in his draft year, on his way to a 129-point average, scored a KFC SuperCoach ton in games 10 and 13 at AFL level.
He has midfield traits, and could very well end up there, but he’ll be the go-to man across half-back for the Dockers for a while yet.
Phantom’s verdict: It’s an awkward price, but there is plenty of value here. Very, very high on the pre-season watchlist.
Will Day (Haw)
$345,700, Def
2021 average: 79
Predicted average 2022: 90

If it wasn’t for injury, Day would’ve likely taken the next step already.
He exploded out of the blocks with a 122-point performance in Round 1 last season, but hurt his ankle the following week, however, and managed just five matches for the year.
Before he injured it again later in the season, the skilful Day tallied another 112 KFC SuperCoach points, on the back of 29 disposals and 10 intercepts, against the Giants.
In fact, if you take out the injury-affected score in Round 2 – which was 55 in 59 per cent game-time – Day’s average in four games last year was 85.
And, if all goes smoothly, that might be his floor in 2022. There are plenty of options in defence for new coach Sam Mitchell now, but the Hawks love to get the ball in Day’s hands.
Phantom’s verdict: With the discount, Day is priced at an average of 64 this year. Now that’s what I call underpriced.
Originally published as KFC SuperCoach 2022: The breakout players ready to take the next step

AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to pick any of them. All too expensive to make quick cash and just short on average. With Hayden Young, how often have two defenders from the same team been worth picking? Maybe Rance and Houli, but Rance was a very unusual key defender. Not often that type of player scores that highly. Outside a couple of gun mids, job sharing doesn't often work for supercoach.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every 2022 KFC SuperCoach player, price and position

The launch of KFC SuperCoach for 2021 is just days away. Get a jump on the pack with price and position lists for every Crow, Lion, Blue, Magpie, Bomber and Docker.

January 20, 2022 - 6:00AM

The launch of KFC SuperCoach for 2021 is just five days away.

Can’t wait? Start your quest for KFC SuperCoach glory with the full list of player prices and positions for 2021.

See where every premium, recruit and rookie is listed and how much they will cost below.

Today – every player from Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Fremantle. Check back in tomorrow for part two as more prices are revealed.

ADELAIDE

Sam Berry $250,400 FWD

James Borlase $123,900 DEF

Luke Brown $325,100 DEF

Jordon Butts $309,800 DEF

Brayden Cook $209,000 MID

Matt Crouch $482,000 MID

Ben Davis $204,500 DEF/FWD

Jordan Dawson $550,300 DEF

Tom Doedee $464,700 DEF

Darcy Fogarty $288,800 FWD

Billy Frampton $242,800 FWD

Lachlan Gollant $161,100 FWD

Will Hamill $233,700 DEF

Jackson Hately $188,700 MID

Elliott Himmelberg $251,100 FWD

Mitchell Hinge $180,900 DEF

Chayce Jones $273,300 DEF

Ben Keays $560,400 MID

Rory Laird $632,600 MID

Shane McAdam $286,300 FWD

Fischer Mcasey $161,600 DEF

Ned McHenry $292,900 FWD

Andrew McPherson $307,900 DEF

Wayne Milera $271,100 DEF

Lachlan Murphy $296,500 FWD

Nick Murray $312,400 DEF

Luke Nankervis $102,400 MID/FWD

Tariek Newchurch $123,900 FWD

Reilly O’Brien $520,600 RUC

Patrick Parnell $123,900 DEF

Luke Pedlar $123,900 MID/FWD

Joshua Rachele $184,800 MID/FWD

James Rowe $313,300 FWD

Harry Schoenberg $390,200 MID

Paul Seedsman $521,600 MID

Lachlan Sholl $361,700 MID

Rory Sloane $528,000 MID

Brodie Smith $459,600 DEF

Jake Soligo $117,300 MID

Kieran Strachan $273,500 RUC

Zac Taylor $117,300 MID

Riley Thilthorpe $3293,00 FWD

Taylor Walker $469,400 FWD

Josh Worrell $123,900 DEF

We say: Rory Laird is the most expensive Crow, and by a big margin. He has lost his dual-position status but after averaging 116.2 playing as a pure midfielder last season, he could be a unique option in 2022. Ben Keays is a surprise No.2 on the Adelaide rich list, just ahead of Jordan Dawson, but the former Swan has a huge upside after averaging 114 over the final nine rounds last year.

BRISBANE LIONS

Marcus Adams $417,300 DEF

Callum Ah Chee $273,800 DEF

Harris Andrews $517,900 DEF

Noah Answerth $246,800 DEF

Zac Bailey $459,900 FWD/MID

Jarrod Berry $268,500 MID

Thomas Berry $171,500 FWD

Charlie Cameron $375,800 FWD

Nakia Cockatoo $265,600 FWD

Blake Coleman $123,900 FWD

Keidean Coleman $263,200 DEF/FWD

Joe Daniher $430,500 FWD

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen $273,800 MID

Darcy Fort $307,900 RUC

Tom Fullarton $262,400 FWD

Darcy Gardiner $296,300 DEF

Eric Hipwood $310,300 FWD

Kalin Lane $123,900 RUC

Ryan Lester $324,500 DEF

Kai Lohmann $121,800 FWD

Jarryd Lyons $640,100 MID

James Madden $310,300 DEF

Rhys Mathieson $337,500 MID

Lincoln McCarthy $421,800 FWD

Hugh McCluggage $544,100 MID

Connor McFadyen $123,900 FWD/MID

Oscar McInerney $509,600 RUC

Daniel McStay $412,200 FWD

Carter Michael $123,900 DEF

Lachie Neale $543,200 MID

Jack Payne $338,700 DEF

Jaxon Prior $250,400 MID

Cam Rayner $318,400 FWD

Daniel Rich $582,700 DEF

Deven Robertson $343,300 MID

Mitch Robinson $400,900 MID

Harry Sharp $193,200 MID

Ely Smith $123,900 FWD/MID

Henry Smith $123,900 FWD

Brandon Starcevich $325,400 DEF

James Tunstill $117,300 MID

Deividas Uosis $123,900 DEF

Darcy Wilmot $139,800 DEF

Dayne Zorko $595,400 MID

We say: No shortage of scoring power at the Lions, led by the perennially underrated Jarryd Lyons (av 113 and 118 the past two seasons) and Dayne Zorko, who can only be selected in the midfield this year after being last year’s top-scoring forward. Keep Daniel Rich in your backline plans - he only dipped below 90 three times in 2021. Oh, and Lachie Neale could be the bargain of the year.

CARLTON

Domanic Akuei $102,400 DEF/RUC

Jordan Boyd $123,900 DEF

Jack Carroll $123,900 MID

Adam Cerra $490,200 MID

Matthew Cottrell $268,100 MID

Patrick Cripps $454,800 MID

David Cuningham $259,100 MID/FWD

Charlie Curnow $224,300 FWD

Ed Curnow $468,900 MID

Tom De Koning $325,800 RUC

Sam Docherty $533,000 DEF

Paddy Dow $302,400 MID

Corey Durdin $143,700 FWD

Zac Fisher $353,300 FWD

Lachie Fogarty $373,500 FWD

George Hewett $399,000 DEF/MID

Josh Honey $216,600 FWD

Liam Jones $375,900 DEF

Brodie Kemp $156,800 DEF

Matthew Kennedy $440,900 MID

Caleb Marchbank $209,300 DEF

Jack Martin $371,100 FWD

Oscar McDonald $201,900 FWD

Mitch McGovern $256,000 FWD

Harry McKay $421,100 FWD

Alex Mirkov $123,900 RUC

Jesse Motlop $117,300 FWD

Nic Newman $477,100 DEF

Jack Newnes $362,100 MID

Lochie O’Brien $281,300 MID

Matthew Owies $296,900 FWD

Luke Parks $199,600 DEF

Sam Philp $123,900 FWD

Marc Pittonet $462,700 RUC

Lachie Plowman $292,200 DEF

Adam Saad $449,800 DEF

Will Setterfield $337,500 MID

Jack Silvagni $355,600 FWD

Liam Stocker $317,900 DEF

Sam Walsh $637,100 MID

Jacob Weitering $512,200 DEF

Zac Williams $461,100 DEF

Tom Williamson $244,000 DEF

Lewis Young $332,000 DEF/RUC

We say: Sam Walsh is the eighth-most expensive midfielder in KFC SuperCoach and that could still look like good value by the end of the season. Sam Docherty is the only other Blue over $500k, with recruit Adam Cerra coming in at $490k. Patrick Cripps hasn’t been this cheap since his second season in 2015, but after averaging 83.5 points a game last year, can you trust him?

COLLINGWOOD

Taylor Adams $516,700 MID

Aiden Begg $123,900 RUC

Trent Bianco $280,100 FWD

Callum Brown $270,600 FWD

Tyler Brown $252,300 MID

Darcy Cameron $420,600 FWD

Isaac Chugg $123,900 DEF

Mason Cox $275,300 FWD

Jack Crisp $571,000 DEF/MID

Josh Daicos $369,500 MID

Nick Daicos $193,800 MID

Jordan De Goey $463,500 MID/FWD

Charlie Dean $102,400 DEF

Arlo Draper $117,300 MID

Jamie Elliott $428,300 FWD

Jack Ginnivan $199,900 FWD

Brodie Grundy $627,100 RUC

Harvey Harrison $117,300 MID

Oliver Henry $219,900 FWD

Will Hoskin-Elliott $378,000 MID

Jeremy Howe $427,300 DEF

Ashley Johnson $123,900 FWD

Mark Keane $238,400 DEF

Will Kelly $123,900 DEF/FWD

Nathan Kreuger $198,100 DEF

Patrick Lipinski $359,900 MID

Finlay Macrae $206,800 MID

Jack Madgen $362,600 DEF

Brayden Maynard $502,500 DEF

Beau McCreery $210,900 FWD

Reef McInnes $123,900 MID

Liam McMahon $123,900 FWD

Brody Mihocek $324,500 FWD

Darcy Moore $488,200 DEF

Cooper Murley $117,300 MID/FWD

Nathan Murphy $243,300 MID

John Noble $380,800 DEF

Scott Pendlebury $492,300 MID

Caleb Poulter $326,100 MID

Isaac Quaynor $406,600 DEF

Jordan Roughead $389,800 DEF

Trey Ruscoe $260,100 DEF

Steele Sidebottom $475,400 MID/FWD

Tom Wilson $199,600 DEF

We say: Brodie Grundy has lost his spot in the big two rucks in KFC SuperCoach and will start 2022 as the fourth-most expensive ruckman – but his 2021 average of 115.2 is nothing to sneeze at. He’s clearly the top-priced Magpie ahead of Jack Crisp, who had a career-best season in 2021 and finished with scores of 140, 143, 103, 124, 97 in his last five games.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
ESSENDON

Kaine Baldwin $123,900 FWD

Cody Brand $123,900 DEF

Nick Bryan $194,300 RUC

Jye Caldwell $266,700 MID

Nikolas Cox $308,900 MID

Tom Cutler $336900 DEF

Sam Draper $396,400 RUC

Sam Durham $298,000 MID

Josh Eyre $123,900 DEF/FWD

Aaron Francis $306,800

Matt Guelfi $315,400 MID

Brayden Ham $261,600 FWD/MID

Dyson Heppell $541,000 DEF

Nick Hind $506,200 DEF

Tom Hird $123,900 FWD/MID

Ben Hobbs $153,300 MID

Michael Hurley $349,600 DEF

Harrison Jones $264,000 FWD

Jake Kelly $372,900 DEF

Kyle Langford $472,300 MID

Jayden Laverde $357,500 DEF

Alastair Lord $117,300 DEF

Cian McBride $123,900 RUC/FWD

Garrett McDonagh $117,300 DEF

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti $345,400 FWD

Andrew McGrath $464,600 MID

Zach Merrett $625,700 MID

Darcy Parish $621,300 MID

Archie Perkins $272,700 FWD

Andrew Phillips $411,500 RUC

Mason Redman $410,800 DEF

Zach Reid $201,900 DEF

Jordan Ridley $537,100 DEF

Dylan Shiel $361,100 MID

Devon Smith $351,200 FWD

Will Snelling $439,700 FWD

James Stewart $319,400 DEF

Jake Stringer $506,800 MID/FWD

Patrick Voss $102,400 DEF/FWD

Alec Waterman $298,100 FWD

Peter Wright $447,700 RUC/FWD

Brandon Zerk-Thatcher $221,300 DEF

We say: The big two at Tullamarine are Zach Merrett and Darcy Parish, with Merrett edging out his teammate by about $4000 at the KFC SuperCoach bank and one point per game on 2021 averages (Merrett 115 to Parish 114.1). Jordan Ridley is $10k cheaper than he started last year while Jye Caldwell and Dylan Shiel could be big bargains returning from injury.

FREMANTLE

James Aish $371,100 DEF

Jye Amiss $175,800 FWD

Bailey Banfield $233,500 FWD

Eric Benning $117,300 RUC/FWD

Connor Blakely $239,000 MID

Andrew Brayshaw $584,300 MID

Will Brodie $224,300 MID/FWD

Heath Chapman $275,200 DE F

Jordan Clark $338,200 MID

Travis Colyer $323,600 FWD

Brennan Cox $382,800 DEF

Mitch Crowden $257,300 FWD

Sean Darcy $642,600 RUC

Neil Erasmus $166,800 MID

Michael Frederick $269,800 FWD

Nat Fyfe $546,500 MID

Joel Hamling $274,300 DEF

Liam Henry $228,600 FWD

Ethan Hughes $341,600 DEF

Matthew Johnson $117,300 MID

Rory Lobb $396,100 FWD

Griffin Logue $320,100 DEF

Lloyd Meek $263,700 RUC

David Mundy $542,300 MID

Nathan O’Driscoll $123,900 DEF/MID

Alex Pearce $303,700 DEF

Luke Ryan $540,300 DEF

Lachie Schultz $325,200 FWD

Caleb Serong $451,000 MID

Sam Sturt $201,400 FWD

Sam Switkowski $359,700 FWD

Matt Taberner $363,700 FWD

Josh Treacy $240,600 FWD

Darcy Tucker $323,200 DEF

Luke Valente $123,900 MID

Brandon Walker $230,200 DEF

Michael Walters $349,400 FWD

Joel Western $123,900 MID

Nathan Wilson $391,300 DEF

Karl Worner $102,400 DEF/MID

Hayden Young $418,400 DEF

We say: Nat Fyfe’s starting price is the lowest it’s been for a decade, and you have to go back to 2012 to find a cheaper price tag for Michael Walters. It’s a changing of the guard at the Dockers, led by Sean Darcy, the second-most expensive ruckman in KFC SuperCoach in 2022

AFL Club
Hawthorn
GOLD COAST
Ben Ainsworth $330,800 FWD

Noah Anderson $455,000 MID

Mac Andrew $189,300 RUC

Rory Atkins $248,300 MID

Charlie Ballard $379,200 DEF

Jack Bowes $450,900 DEF

Sandy Brock $102,400 DEF

Connor Budarick $234,300 DEF

Chris Burgess $313,700 RUC/FWD

Levi Casboult $270,500 FWD

Mabior Chol $367,400 RUC

Sam Collins $397,300 DEF

Matt Conroy $123,900 RUC

Charlie Constable $213,400 MID

Josh Corbett $312,100 FWD

Alex Davies $202,500 MID

Sam DayGCS $277,600 FWD

Brandon Ellis $487,200 MID

Jy Farrar $303,200 DEF

Brayden Fiorini $551,600 MID

Sam Flanders $299,000 FWD

Caleb Graham $238,600 DEF/RUC

Elijah Hollands $123,900 MID/FWD

Nick Holman $354,500 FWD

Joel Jeffrey $127,400 FWD

Ben King $290,500 FWD

Sean Lemmens $283,300 DEF

Jack Lukosius $438,400 MID

Darcy MacPherson $321,600 FWD

Oleg Markov $412,400 DEF

Jez McLennan $123,900 DEF

Touk Miller $677,800 MID

Ned Moyle $123,900 RUC

Patrick Murtagh $123,900 RUC/FWD

Rhys Nicholls $123,900 DEF

Hewago Paul $123,900 FWD/MID

Wil Powell $446,600 DEF

Izak Rankine $299,700 FWD

Malcolm Rosas $130,600 FWD

Matt Rowell $342,900 MID

Alex Sexton $300,600 FWD

Jeremy Sharp $356,200 MID

David Swallow $489,900 MID

Rory Thompson $123,900 DEF

Bodhi Uwland $102,400 MID

Lachie Weller $400,300 MID/FWD

Jarrod Witts $380,300 RUC

We say: It’s Touk then daylight at the Suns. Miller is the third-most expensive player in the game after averaging 124.5 last season, and $126k more exensive than the Suns’ No.2, Brayden Fiorini. Former top-10 draft pick Elijah Hollands is set to be one of the most popular forward rookies this year.

GEELONG
Tom Atkins $415,700 DEF

Jed Bews $309,500 DEF

Mark Blicavs $456,400 DEF

Jeremy Cameron $441,800 FWD

Jonathon Ceglar $491,700 RUC

Brad Close $354,700 FWD

Toby Conway $117,300 RUC

Luke Dahlhaus $320,900 FWD

Patrick Dangerfield $567,800 MID

Sam De Koning $123,900 DEF/FWD

Oliver Dempsey $102,400 FWD

Mitch Duncan $540,000 MID/FWD

Francis Evans $123,900 FWD

Cameron Guthrie $616,700 MID

Zach Guthrie $310,300 DEF

Tom Hawkins $510,900 FWD

Jack Henry $447,400 DEF

Shaun Higgins $430,000 FWD

Max Holmes $334,400 MID

Mitchell Knevitt $117,300 MID

Jake Kolodjashnij $326,000 DEF

Flynn Kroeger $117300 MID

Sam Menegola $491,500 MID

Gryan Miers $337,000 FWD

Oisin Mullin $102,400 DEF

Quinton Narkle $327,000 MID

ShannonNeale $123,900 FWD

Mark O’Connor $394,400 DEF/MID

Brandan Parfitt$445,000 MID

Esava Ratugolea$303,100 RUC/FWD

Gary Rohan $376,500 FWD

Joel Selwood $549,000 MID

Sam Simpson $262,700 FWD

Isaac Smith $486,500 MID

Rhys Stanley $481,000 RUC

Tyson Stengle $247,500 FWD

Cooper Stephens $123,900 MID

Nick Stevens $123,900 MID

Tom Stewart $585,700 DEF

Paul Tsapatolis $123,900 RUC

Zach Tuohy $478,100 DEF/MID

Cooper Whyte $117,300 MID

James Willis $117,300 MID

We say: Patrick Dangerfield has lost his dual-position status, but Mitch Duncan has picked it up and could be a shrewd pick in the forward line – he averaged 117 points per game in the first seven rounds last year before getting injured. The most expensive Cat is ever-reliable defender Tom Stewart.

GWS GIANTS
Leek Aleer $144,300 DEF

Ryan Angwin $123,900 DEF/MID

Lachie Ash $413,400 DEF/MID

Jarrod Brander $322,600 MID

Kieren Briggs $182,900 RUC

Callum Brown $213,400 DEF/FWD

Tanner Bruhn $263,300 FWD

Jack Buckley $337,800 DEF

Finn Callaghan $198,300 MID

Stephen Coniglio $261,300 MID/FWD

Isaac Cumming $505,700 DEF

Brent Daniels $315,300 FWD

Phil Davis $285,800 DEF

Matt de Boer $337,500 MID/FWD

Josh Fahey $117,300 DEF

CameronFleeton $123,900 DEF

Matt Flynn $473,600 RUC

Tom Green $430,000 MID

Toby Greene $495,000 FWD

Cooper Hamilton $102,400 MID/FWD

Nick Haynes $413,700 DEF

Bobby Hill $268,800 FWD

Harry Himmelberg $390,400 FWD

Jesse Hogan $410,300 FWD

Jacob Hopper $527,700 MID

Connor Idun $334,400 DEF

Lachlan Keeffe $343,600 DEF

Josh Kelly $582,200 MID

Adam Kennedy $354,400 MID

Daniel Lloyd $354,200 FWD

Xavier O’Halloran $299,000 MID

James Peatling $242,400 DEF

Harry Perryman $497,700 DEF

BraydonPreuss $204,700 RUC

Jake Riccardi $230,200 FWD/MID

Will Shaw $123,900 DEF/MID

Zach Sproule $293,900 FWD

Jake Stein $176,400 DEF

Conor Stone $181,400 FWD/MID

Tim Taranto $529,700 MID/FWD

Sam Taylor $475,800 DEF

Callan Ward $506,200 MID

Jacob Wehr $123,900 DEF

Lachie Whitfield $502,600 DEF/MID

We say: Josh Kelly is top dog again at the Giants, although his average last season (107) was down on four straight years of 113+ averages. Having said that, he played 21 gams for the first time since 2017. Tim Taranto is an interesting proposition after being given MID/FWD status – on last year’s averages he would have been the third top-scoring forward.

HAWTHORN
Lachlan Bramble$411,000 DEF

Luke Breust $387,600 FWD

Tyler Brockman $227,100 FWD

Sam Butler $117,300 MID/FWD

Jackson Callow $123,900 FWD

Will Day $345,700 DEF

Connor Downie $143,700 MID

Sam Frost $366,900 DEF

Denver Grainger-Barras $206,700 DEF

Jack Gunston $355,200 FWD

Blake Hardwick $496,400 DEF

Kyle Hartigan $264,400 DEF

Daniel Howe $420,600 MID

Jarman Impey $494,500 DEF

Emerson Jeka $171,500 FWD

Changkuoth Jiath $459,300 DEF

Jacob Koschitzke $286,300 FWD

Mitch Lewis $358,500 FWD

Ned Long $102,400 MID/FWD

Max Lynch $207,700 RUC

Connor MacDonald $117,300 MID

Finn Maginness $143,700 FWD

Ben McEvoy $483,700 FWD

Seamus Mitchell $123,900 FWD

Tom Mitchell $638,100 MID

Dylan Moore $416,700 FWD

Josh Morris $123,900 FWD

Harry Morrison $349,500 FWD/MID

Conor Nash $310,300 FWD/MID

Jai Newcombe $261,300 MID

Fionn O’Hara $102,400 MID

Jaeger O’Meara $528,300 MID

Tom Phillips $379,800 MID

Ned Reeves $358,800 RUC

Jack Saunders $123,900 FWD

Jack Scrimshaw $456,100 DEF

Jai Serong $117,300 MID/FWD

Liam Shiels $422,200 MID

James Sicily $448,100 DEF

Josh Ward $180,300 MID

Chad Wingard $501,500 FWD/MID

James Worpel $399,800 MID

We say: Tom Mitchell scores KFC SuperCoach points in his sleep (averages over the past four seasons: 119, 129, 114, 117) but the fantasy interest at the Hawks in 2022 is down back. James Sicily is severely underpriced but he will have to share the points with the likes of Jack Scrimshaw, Will Day and 2021 revelations Jarman Impey and Changkuoth Jiath. Are there enough to go around?

MELBOURNE
Oskar Baker $255,300 MID

Toby Bedford $123,900 FWD

Jake Bowey $265,600 DEF

Angus Brayshaw $366,200 MID

Ben Brown $379,400 FWD

Mitch Brown $293,400 FWD

Kade Chandler $123,900 FWD

Majak Daw $176,400 DEF/RUC

Luke Dunstan $501,700 MID

Bayley Fritsch $367,500 FWD

Max Gawn $657,400 RUC

James Harmes $473,900 MID

Michael Hibberd $316,800 DEF

Blake Howes $117,300 MID/FWD

Jayden Hunt $303,700 DEF

Luke Jackson $389,800 RUC/FWD

James Jordon $373,500 MID

Ed Langdon $452,300 MID

Bailey Laurie $123,900 FWD/MID

Jake Lever $494,800 DEF

Steven May $492,300 DEF

Tom McDonald $467,600 FWD

Judd McVee $102,400 DEF/MID

Jake Melksham $284,700 FWD

Andy Moniz-Wakefield $102,400 MID

Alex Neal-Bullen $396,900 FWD

ClaytonOliver $672,000 MID

Christian Petracca $606,200 MID

Harrison Petty $296,700 DEF

Kysaiah Pickett $371,900 FWD

Trent Rivers $361,200 DEF

Fraser Rosman $123,900 MID

Christian Salem $514,500 DEF

Deakyn Smith $123,900 DEF

Joel Smith $177,200 DEF

CharlieSpargo $321,600 FWD

Tom Sparrow $262,500 FWD/MID

Adam Tomlinson $306,400 DEF

Daniel Turner $123,900 DEF

Jacob van Rooyen $126,300 DEF/FWD

Jack Viney $453,600 MID

Sam Weideman $200,900 FWD

Taj Woewodin $117,300 MID

We say: It’s a cliche that Melbourne is a club for the well-heeled but the SuperCoach bankers seemingly agree, with Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca valued at a combined $1.9 million – pick those three and 20 per cent of your salary cap is gone. So, where’s the value at the Dees? Luke Jackson is on the rise and has RUC/FWD eligibility and Jake Bowey lived up to the Caleb Daniel comparisons in his seven senior appearances last year, including an 80-point game in a preliminary final.

NORTH MELBOURNE
Jed Anderson $401,700 MID/FWD

Jackson Archer $117,300 DEF

Miller Bergman $117,300 DEF/MID

Aiden Bonar $289,000 DEF

Atu Bosenavulagi $293,200 DEF

Callum Coleman-Jones $361,300 RUC/FWD

Charlie Comben $123,900 RUC/FWD

Aidan Corr $306,700 DEF

Ben Cunnington $591,900 MID

Paul Curtis $117,300 FWD

Luke Davies-Uniacke $462,100 MID

Jacob Edwards $123,900 RUC/FWD

Eddie Ford $206,800 FWD

Joshua Goater $117,300 MID

Todd Goldstein $548,800 RUC

Hugh Greenwood $507,300 MID

Aaron Hall $572,900 DEF

Kyron Hayden $199,600 DEF

Jason Horne-Francis $207,300 MID

Nick Larkey $327,300 FWD

Charlie Lazzaro $201,400 FWD/MID

Jack Mahony $299,400 FWD

Luke McDonald $372,100 MID

Matt McGuinness$123,900 DEF/FWD

Ben McKay $305,100 DEF

Flynn Perez $147,000 DEF

Will Phillips $260,900 MID/FWD

Jared Polec $246,900 MID

Tom Powell $368,500 MID/FWD

Bailey Scott $286,800 FWD

Jy Simpkin $529,000 MID

Phoenix Spicer $123,900 FWD

Jaidyn Stephenson $423,700 FWD

Curtis Taylor $286,700 FWD/MID

Tarryn Thomas $459,300 MID/FWD

Kayne Turner $266,700 DEF

Josh Walker $307,100 DEF

Patrick Walker $123,900 DEF/MID

Tristan Xerri $208,200 FWD

Lachie Young $295,600 DEF/MID

Jack Ziebell $585,800 DEF

Cameron Zurhaar $348,100 FWD

We say: Jack Ziebell and Aaron Hall were revelations after being moved to the backline last season – this year they are both listed as defenders and are a lot more expensive. Hall, in particular, could be worth the investment. Meanwhile, No.1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis is the most expensive first-year player available, but plenty will fork out the cash for the teenage prodigy.