News Injuries & Suspensions

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Hmm. Back into consideration then, maybe :unsure:
Yeah I think so.

Grundy has now also missed 3 weeks of full training in the pre-season with a bruised toe. This was the comment on Grundy from Friday's training "Grundy repeat half laps/laps. I'd think he's probably back into it next week"

IDIG

AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I think so.

Grundy has now also missed 3 weeks of full training in the pre-season with a bruised toe. This was the comment on Grundy from Friday's training "Grundy repeat half laps/laps. I'd think he's probably back into it next week"
It’s not ideal but I can’t settle on an R2 so I reallly don’t want to throw the need for an R1 into the mix!

Dimmawit

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm. Back into consideration then, maybe :unsure:
Yeah I think so.

OK and then I saw these. Kruezer was my initial R2 choice

The Experiment

Michael Tuck Club
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone know anything else on this one? Didnt realise he hadnt been in full training either...

ESSENDON best and fairest winner Devon Smith will be taken out of full contact training for a week after he copped a significant knock to the biceps in the session at Tullamarine on Friday.

A Bombers spokesperson confirmed to AFL.com.au Smith suffered a partial disruption to the muscle in the training session at Tullamarine.

Essendon will be cautious with his return to training following the incident, particularly after being on a modified program pre-Christmas and being eased into training.

Smith participated in the Bombers' modified match simulation session at Tullamarine and got involved in the midfield rotation before joining in tackling drills with teammates on the adjacent oval.

When the three-period match play finished, Smith went over to join the rehab group to complete the conditioning aspect of his training before leaving the track following the incident.

Partial disruption? Does that mean bicep tear?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-08/bombers-star-smith-sidelined-from-training-after-bicep-injury

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone know anything else on this one? Didnt realise he hadnt been in full training either...

ESSENDON best and fairest winner Devon Smith will be taken out of full contact training for a week after he copped a significant knock to the biceps in the session at Tullamarine on Friday.

A Bombers spokesperson confirmed to AFL.com.au Smith suffered a partial disruption to the muscle in the training session at Tullamarine.

Essendon will be cautious with his return to training following the incident, particularly after being on a modified program pre-Christmas and being eased into training.

Smith participated in the Bombers' modified match simulation session at Tullamarine and got involved in the midfield rotation before joining in tackling drills with teammates on the adjacent oval.

When the three-period match play finished, Smith went over to join the rehab group to complete the conditioning aspect of his training before leaving the track following the incident.

Partial disruption? Does that mean bicep tear?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-08/bombers-star-smith-sidelined-from-training-after-bicep-injury
Word out of Essendon is that it's quite minor, and that he might just miss a week. Some twitter chatting doubting the Bomber's diagnosis.

The modified program Smith had been on was not due to an injury from what I understand - just an intention to lighten his load considering his prior knee concerns.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
Word out of Essendon is that it's quite minor, and that he might just miss a week. Some twitter chatting doubting the Bomber's diagnosis.

The modified program Smith had been on was not due to an injury from what I understand - just an intention to lighten his load considering his prior knee concerns.
On Smith do you reckon he’ll lose some inside mid time to Shiel? Merrett probably won’t move much but I reckon Heppell might play elsewhere a little bit more but I see smith losing the most time of the three

aps1

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Essendon
On Smith do you reckon he’ll lose some inside mid time to Shiel? Merrett probably won’t move much but I reckon Heppell might play elsewhere a little bit more but I see smith losing the most time of the three
Smith spent 35%+ of stoppages positioned as a forward in 2018 so don't think he will lose much time. He is also our best defensive midfielder. Heppell may lose some inside mid time, maybe to a HBF/mid role at times. Could see Merrett dropping back as the exit at times also.
You also have Parish and Langford, both should see more MID time and rotate of the HFF and through the MIDs with Smith. Myers may lose some time, but he does provide the the big body we need.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
Smith spent 35%+ of stoppages positioned as a forward in 2018 so don't think he will lose much time. He is also our best defensive midfielder. Heppell may lose some inside mid time, maybe to a HBF/mid role at times. Could see Merrett dropping back as the exit at times also.
You also have Parish and Langford, both should see more MID time and rotate of the HFF and through the MIDs with Smith. Myers may lose some time, but he does provide the the big body we need.
Good points it might not go down and he is incredibly valuable defence wise. Our midfield has improved so much the past two years, hopefully we can get a breakout year from one of the young guys

aps1

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Essendon
Good points it might not go down and he is incredibly valuable defence wise. Our midfield has improved so much the past two years, hopefully we can get a breakout year from one of the young guys
We have some good depth, esp if some of the younger guys come on. Another contested guy would be good.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
We have some good depth, esp if some of the younger guys come on. Another contested guy would be good.
Langford is the only bigger body among the younger guys but he’s not really a bull, something we should try to get in the future

AFL Club
Collingwood
He's cooked, why people are looking at him is beyond me. It's unfortunate but his body just won't give him a chance to play freely it seems.
Amazing drop from where he was 2-3 years ago , Top 5 in the Brownlow in 2015 & 2016.

200+ games , almost 28

you would almost put him out to pasture for 6 months and then see if you can get him back

unreal footballer in his prime

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Hanneberry has done a hamstring , out for a month

Source: Channel 7 Adelaide News
More here. Although reported that Saints are saying it’s more “hamstring awareness” and not a “tear”. Tom Browne reckons it’s a mild tear.

That rules him out for me in any case - he needed a strong preseason from this point to make it but if he’s continuing on a modified program, that’s no good.

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's cooked, why people are looking at him is beyond me. It's unfortunate but his body just won't give him a chance to play freely it seems.
Had trap written all over him really. I was open to the idea of him but he would have had to shred the JLT. Wouldn’t have minded him getting through unscathed, likely would have got a little leg up on those that ended up picking him when he inevitably broke down.