News Injuries & Suspensions

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
My point is a little different, but somewhat related.

The value of winning a final is greater than the value of winning a normal home and away game ... so if fines and suspensions are equal, you would expect to see more players breaking the rules during finals.

If you then decide not to actually enforce the rules, it’s likely to be worse again.
It's a bit like what they did with horseracing a few years ago.
First, they told the jockeys that suspensions handed out in the big races would be bigger and longer, than they were in the everyday races.
This lasted about 2 years, and they realised, some jockeys were happy to "stretch" the rules to win a major, and would just cop the "holiday".
Quite cleverly, they then adjusted the rules again, and told the jockeys, longer suspensions, AND you'll lose your winning % of the prizemoney.
This has improved the quality and "fairness" of riding in the big races, though there is nothing they can do, to stop owners backhanding the offending jockey for getting the win, at any cost.
I'm not sure how the AFL do something similar.
It becomes a real minefield, if they start apportioning suspensions and fines, on the basis of "we believe your act had a considerable determining factor, on the outcome of the match".
Something like someone maliciously knocks Dusty out 2 minutes into the game, and Richmond lose the Grand Final by 2 points.
"We say you affected the outcome of the game. You are fined 50% of your years salary, and suspended for 12 weeks".
You'd sort of like to see it, if you could trust them to get it right. It seems that "match determining" infringements, get treated like any other.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe a 'Sin Bin' or a 'Red Card' send o*** could be a deterrent, because the team will be one player down during the game. Surely that must hurt.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Was it confirmed that Greene did actually eye gouge?
It looked like he just ruffled up Bont's hair a bit!
If there was no eye gouging, $7,500 is a bit rich imo.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Was it confirmed that Greene did actually eye gouge?
It looked like he just ruffled up Bont's hair a bit!
If there was no eye gouging, $7,500 is a bit rich imo.
from what I have read he was fined for serious misconduct , the AFL's case did not make reference to Greene making contact with Bontempelli's eyes.

Not sure if the public have access to the official tribunal findings or not.

Been found guilty on 16 charges previously for 6 game suspension in total and nearly $ 20,000.00 in fines may not have helped.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd bet that in Rioli's second urine sample they find nothing wrong there. I'm thinking he was frustrated and so in anger protested by pouring the Energy Drink in the sample container. He apparently did it in front of the assessor, so he wasn't trying to hide what he did. Logically, I see it an act of frustration.

AFL Club
Essendon
I'd bet that in Rioli's second urine sample they find nothing wrong there. I'm thinking he was frustrated and so in anger protested by pouring the Energy Drink in the sample container. He apparently did it in front of the assessor, so he wasn't trying to hide what he did. Logically, I see it an act of frustration.
Frustrated at what? It's part of being a professional athlete.

AFL Club
West Coast
Don't reckon it was frustration. Knowing his character, He's a pretty nervous type of person just in everyday life, so I think the more likely reaction in that moment was one of Panic not frustration.

Not that it likely matters, It sounds like from the limited information we know so far, that he will receive a ban of some sort. A lot to play out in this and will likely be a long time before we know the whole story.

Either way, what a silly boy. Pretty gutted for him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Frustrated at what? It's part of being a professional athlete.

I don't know exactly what frustrated him, possibly the frustration of annoyance in the drug taking method? Maybe having issues at the time and being asked for the sample was just bad timing. Professional athletes have emotional and psychological problems as well.
What ever the reason, pouring an energy drink into the cup in front of an assessor is not an act of trying to cheat the system, more of an act of frustration. That's how I see it.
The second sample result will be interesting.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't reckon it was frustration. Knowing his character, He's a pretty nervous type of person just in everyday life, so I think the more likely reaction in that moment was one of Panic not frustration.

Not that it likely matters, It sounds like from the limited information we know so far, that he will receive a ban of some sort. A lot to play out in this and will likely be a long time before we know the whole story.

Either way, what a silly boy. Pretty gutted for him.
I agree that it was a reaction, if it was panic of being caught, then that would be no good for him in the long run. But if his second sample is all clear, then he would be in much less trouble.
Either way, I'm pretty gutted for him too.

AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know exactly what frustrated him, possibly the frustration of annoyance in the drug taking method? Maybe having issues at the time and being asked for the sample was just bad timing. Professional athletes have emotional and psychological problems as well.
What ever the reason, pouring an energy drink into the cup in front of an assessor is not an act of trying to cheat the system, more of an act of frustration. That's how I see it.
The second sample result will be interesting.
Really not sure what point you’re trying to make. I have no ill will, but being frustrated or whatever doesn’t preclude being an athlete and being subject to spot testing. And the thing is you are stating that he did x and y because he was frustrated. We don’t even know if x and y happened, and if they did, how and why, let alone his mental state let alone said hypothetical level of frustration.

Not going to get into a thing here. You’ll appreciate that I have been on both sides of this conversation.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really not sure what point you’re trying to make. I have no ill will, but being frustrated or whatever doesn’t preclude being an athlete and being subject to spot testing. And the thing is you are stating that he did x and y because he was frustrated. We don’t even know if x and y happened, and if they did, how and why, let alone his mental state let alone said hypothetical level of frustration.

Not going to get into a thing here. You’ll appreciate that I have been on both sides of this conversation.
I'm meaning 'frustrated' as 'annoyed'.
When I read the Rioli story it didn't make sense to me. My thought was that he must have been 'annoyed' at something at that time of the test and released his frustration by pouring an energy drink in the sample container.
It was just my thought, as we don't know why he did it yet, just a possible reason why he did it, that's all.
Because Riolli's follow up test revealed nothing, I hope common sense comes into play and he gets a light sentence.

AFL Club
West Coast
makes you wonder even more what he was thinking then to tamper with the sample

quite bizarre

you would assume the club drum it into the players what goes on at the testing
Yeah the whole thing is bizarre isn't it.

There's a couple of explanations that could make sense, First being he may have had something like marijuana in the days before the test, and once he was getting tested he simply panicked not knowing ASADA is only testing for PED's and not illicit drugs.

The other plausible situation could be that he was just simply joking around, as he's quite a prankster and fun loving character, and might not have thought through how serious it actually was.

If the reports are correct that he didn't have PED's in his genuine sample... Then there might be a case for a reduced or negotiated penalty like most cases seem to receive.

I personally think 4 years is too much if the genuine test is clean. Not fair that he receives a much longer penalty than people who have tested positive on match day. He needs some sort of penalty though.

Just feel for him though, he hasn't had it easy in life and is a ripping bloke who looks to have made a very stupid mistake. He's going to need a lot of support.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah the whole thing is bizarre isn't it.

There's a couple of explanations that could make sense, First being he may have had something like marijuana in the days before the test, and once he was getting tested he simply panicked not knowing ASADA is only testing for PED's and not illicit drugs.

The other plausible situation could be that he was just simply joking around, as he's quite a prankster and fun loving character, and might not have thought through how serious it actually was.

If the reports are correct that he didn't have PED's in his genuine sample... Then there might be a case for a reduced or negotiated penalty like most cases seem to receive.

I personally think 4 years is too much if the genuine test is clean. Not fair that he receives a much longer penalty than people who have tested positive on match day. He needs some sort of penalty though.

Just feel for him though, he hasn't had it easy in life and is a ripping bloke who looks to have made a very stupid mistake. He's going to need a lot of support.
Was doing a bit of reading on it.

I can't fully understand that they only were testing for PED but it is "ok" if they had/did were taking illicit drugs (I guess if it doesn't affect their game any player can take what they want too).

What category do weight loss tablets full under ?

Having been in the system you would think he has been tested before and knows the drill , and the club would keep educating them.

Couple of stories that he had something in his mouth beforehand/during or just poured a substance into the cylinder when he was taking it to the tester and pour it into A and B.

Or as you said was just doing a prank , if that's the case he is a very , very silly boy.

I guess they see tampering as more of a crime than actually testing positive.

If you believe the stories there are a number of players with more than 3 strikes in the system that are still "allowed" to play.

Apparently it may take 3-6 months before it is resolved , which can't be good for Rioli.

Surely they need to fast track things