News Injuries & Suspensions

AFL Club
Hawthorn
RE: ……..GWS have never won a game without at least one of Lachie Whitfield or Toby Greene in the side...…...

I hope the Pies players don't read that, I don't want them going into the game cocky :)
I think most people who aren't a pies supporter probably want to see them lose, so I hope they do read it. :)

Apparently I'll be cheering for GWS this week as the "Not Collingwood" option. Who I support changes every week once the Hawks get eliminated and the Pies are still in.

Although Collingwood losing the GF is always good to see too.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I think most people who aren't a pies supporter probably want to see them lose, so I hope they do read it. :)

Apparently I'll be cheering for GWS this week as the "Not Collingwood" option. Who I support changes every week once the Hawks get eliminated and the Pies are still in.

Haha, so when the Pies win, the victory will be sweeter :)

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon

And that is why I will be barracking for the Pies this week!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Letting off steam :coffee:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/to...s/news-story/d19824bbc7ea4ca3e1ba0c0982d6dcce

Toby Greene’s manager Paul Connors has delivered a scathing rebuke of his client’s one-match suspension...…….on Thursday evening following a marathon two-hour hearing...……..

Among several pointed remarks, Connors:
— Accused the AFL Court of Appeals for playing favourites because Greene played for the Giants and not a big Victorian club, such as Collingwood.
— Declared he would raise it with the “highest people” at the AFL
— Said Michael Christian got it wrong in the first place when he handed a one-game sentence to Greene, and
— Maintained the star Giant did not go anywhere near Neale’s eyes and that the tribunal was wrong to dismiss the Lion’s testimony as “vague.”

…….“If this was any other player, this would not have even got through the MRO...…...If this was a Collingwood player there would be uproar...…….if it was any other player, especially at Collingwood, I don’t think we’d be hearing the last of it.………...“I will certainly be raising it with the highest people...……...

AFL Club
West Coast
Letting off steam :coffee:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/to...s/news-story/d19824bbc7ea4ca3e1ba0c0982d6dcce

Toby Greene’s manager Paul Connors has delivered a scathing rebuke of his client’s one-match suspension...…….on Thursday evening following a marathon two-hour hearing...……..

Among several pointed remarks, Connors:
— Accused the AFL Court of Appeals for playing favourites because Greene played for the Giants and not a big Victorian club, such as Collingwood.
— Declared he would raise it with the “highest people” at the AFL
— Said Michael Christian got it wrong in the first place when he handed a one-game sentence to Greene, and
— Maintained the star Giant did not go anywhere near Neale’s eyes and that the tribunal was wrong to dismiss the Lion’s testimony as “vague.”

…….“If this was any other player, this would not have even got through the MRO...…...If this was a Collingwood player there would be uproar...…….if it was any other player, especially at Collingwood, I don’t think we’d be hearing the last of it.………...“I will certainly be raising it with the highest people...……...
Based on his comments, its fairly likely they will want to be talking to him too :LOL:

1568934932083.jpeg

AFL Club
Collingwood
Is that Greene's hand ?

He would be better off just running around hitting/punching players off the ball which every player in every game does (which the weak as piss umpires continually do nothing about , great example to juniors a watching (thought that constitutes striking.....which the AFL said pre-season they were stamping out )

Amazed that the media did nothing over the Lions player that thumped Whitfield in the back off the ball numerous times.

I guess it depends who you are and hence why blokes like Ablett and Fyfe get treated differently for elbowing and striking.

And yes that probably is Greene's hand.

Plenty of ex-footballers/commentators still saying he should not have got suspended and it should have been thrown out.

Why didn't the umpire pay a free kick to Neale then ? ?

AFL Club
West Coast
Really good article about the Toby Greene incident in the West Australian Today by Mark Duffield...

No Winners In Giant Debacle

Toby Greene's club, Greater Western Sydney, is outraged. His Manager, Paul Connors, says the AFL judicial process is a disgrace.

Spare us the outrage please and spare us Connor's colorful language. If we are going to be honest about what should and shouldn't be happening here, Greene shouldn't be playing this week because he shouldn't have played last week.

And given that he was one of the best two players on the ground in the Giant's last-gasp win against Brisbane at the Gabba last Saturday night, that means it probably should be the Lions lining up in today's preliminary final against Collingwood, not the Giants.

Those entitled to be outraged the most are Brisbane generally, Lachie Neale specifically and Marcus Bontempelli.

Greene gave Neale a facial, and Bontempelli the previous week not only got the facial, but was also the recipient of a novel and unique attempt at hair extensions.

Is the AFL Tribunal a joke? Probably, although no one seems to be laughing much.

Greene should absolutely have been suspended for what he did to Bontempelli and the $7,500 he was fined for "serious misconduct" said as much.

The whole thing reeked of a negotiated outcome - a "we know you should be suspended for this but we would prefer that you played" kind of verdict.

Similarly, this week reeked of match review officer Michael Christian, the AFL Tribunal and the appeals board all letting Greene know "you were given a chance, you didn't learn, so have a week off and see if that teaches you anything".

None of it does the AFL any credit, but nor does it hand Greene any moral high ground. What he did to Bontempelli was as bad a look for the game as anything we have seen this year. He took a player lying vunerable on the ground, swarmed his hands around his face and scalp, then grabbed two handfuls of hair and pulled.

This was not tough football, this was not playing on the edge. This was playing in an unhinged fashion way out of line with the standards and expectations of an elite sport. He should have been banned.

The AFL Tribunal should have known that appeasement doesn't always work -- certainly not with footballers prone to white line fever.

In round one this year, after the AFL had warned it was clamping down on the gut and jumper punches that had become commonplace, Ben Cunnington belted Fremantle's Nathan Wilson in the stomach off the ball at Optus Stadium.

The AFL could have suspended Cunnington and backed up it's message. But it only fined Cunnington, who spent the rest of the season working his way through the phone book with tummy punches delivered both in and around the ball.

He wasn't suspended. He was never fined more than $5,000 for any one hit despite being warned that he was on the verge of suspension. That tells you how ludicrous the Greene fine of $7,500 instead of suspension was.

Connors is one of the AFL's most respected player managers for good reason and was sticking up for his client but he should be giving Greene some sound advice: "Stop doing it."

According to Connors, the Neale incident was nothing more than three players trying to lock the ball in. Which ball was that? The football of Neale's eyeball?

Greene's hand was in close vicinity to Neale's eye, which is right next to the nose Connors said the hand had come into contact with.

The Giants need to get ready for today. If they win, they should be having a pretty stern talk to Greene about what is and isn't acceptable on grand final day.

If they lose. the same talk should be had. The only difference is they have all summer to have it.

AFL Club
Geelong
GWS & Greene will have learnt/changed nothing as it has all worked out for them anyway, people don't change behaviour that has lead to good things.

Rioli is in a lot of strife now

JUST IN: Rioli test comes back positive
BREAKING: The AFL future of Willie Rioli looks even more grim after he tested positive to cannabis just weeks after his alleged urine tampering.
The AFL confirmed on Tuesday that Rioli tested positive for a metabolite of cannabis in a September 5 test after West Coast’s elimination final win over Essendon.
Rioli is already facing a ban of up to four years after allegedly tampering with his urine sample during an ASADA test on August 20.
The Eagles announced they were made aware a sample taken from Rioli returned positive for a "metabolite of cannabis".
"As stipulated two weeks ago, the club’s primary concern remains the health and wellbeing of Willie," the West Coast statement read.
"We will continue to support him through this particularly challenging time to assist him while this ongoing investigation runs its course.
"The club will respect the process of the investigation into the circumstances surrounding this case and will co-operate fully with it.
"We expect that these processes will take some months to complete and the club will not be in a position to make further comment until such completion."

AFL STATEMENT BELOW:
The AFL has confirmed that William Rioli of the West Coast Eagles has been notified of a further Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) and a potential violation of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (Code) in respect of a test conducted by ASADA on September 5, 2019.
The test was conducted following the West Coast Eagles’ elimination final against Essendon.
The September 5, 2019 sample has tested positive for a metabolite of cannabis, which is an In-Competition Prohibited Substance under the Code.
On September 11, 2019 Rioli was notified of an Adverse Analytical Finding for Urine Substitution being a Prohibited Method under the Code following an Out-of-Competition doping control test on 20 August 2019.
The West Coast Eagles have been made aware of this finding and will continue to provide support for Rioli.
It is important that Rioli be provided a fair process. As a result, the AFL will not be providing further detail on this case at this time.

AFL Club
Carlton
Bloody idiot has probably extended his ban 5 fold. Disappointing as he’s one of those players you love to watch.
They're saying 3 months for the cannabis, but both indescretions heard together. Apparently gatorade has worses effects than cannabis, lol.

AFL Club
West Coast
Bloody idiot has probably extended his ban 5 fold. Disappointing as he’s one of those players you love to watch.
The actual ban for this incident won't be as bad... Because he tested positive in this new test before he was notified on September 11 of the Gatorade incident... meaning any ban for this new incident will be served concurrently with any ban for the Gatorade incident. Whichever suspension is longest... is what he will serve.

It's probably more about what West Coast will do... Will we stand by him and keep him on the senior or rookie list, or will we cut ties and delist him. An 18 month ban or 2 year ban we might keep him but 4 years would be a career ender I think.

It's pretty sad, because as you said he's a fantastic player to watch, a great footballer who had a big future, and he's also a cracking bloke. Will gladly give up his time to help others and the less fortunate.

Going to be a big price to pay either way for a couple of silly incidents in the space of a couple of weeks.

AFL Club
West Coast
They're saying 3 months for the cannabis, but both indescretions heard together. Apparently gatorade has worses effects than cannabis, lol.
Yeah the pouring Gatorade into the cup is definitely the more serious of the two charges, If the second one hadn't of been on game day... It would only have been a strike and no suspension unless it was his second or third strike.

The most recent case for a match day positive test was Sam Murray who negotiated a 18 month ban for Cocaine in his system on Game Day. Weed is a lot less serious than Cocaine in my opinion but I don't if ASADA views it that way or not. Ryan Daniels suggesting anywhere from a warning to a 2 year ban. Hoping both bans are on the lower end of the scale.

I do think it is time for the AFL to ditch ASADA & WADA though.... Those systems where set up for Olympic Athletes and the 4 year cycle and have little relevance to our game that is played weekly. The AFL has lobbied in the past to have Cannabis removed from the list of banned match-day performance-enhancing drugs but has failed... Butting heads with ASADA for not the first time. It's clearly time for the AFL to have their own Drug Testing policies and penalties that are relevant to our game.

AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah the pouring Gatorade into the cup is definitely the more serious of the two charges, If the second one hadn't of been on game day... It would only have been a strike and no suspension unless it was his second or third strike.

The most recent case for a match day positive test was Sam Murray who negotiated a 18 month ban for Cocaine in his system on Game Day. Weed is a lot less serious than Cocaine in my opinion but I don't if ASADA views it that way or not. Ryan Daniels suggesting anywhere from a warning to a 2 year ban. Hoping both bans are on the lower end of the scale.

I do think it is time for the AFL to ditch ASADA & WADA though.... Those systems where set up for Olympic Athletes and the 4 year cycle and have little relevance to our game that is played weekly. The AFL has lobbied in the past to have Cannabis removed from the list of banned match-day performance-enhancing drugs but has failed... Butting heads with ASADA for not the first time. It's clearly time for the AFL to have their own Drug Testing policies and penalties that are relevant to our game.
Obviously the most serious charge is the tampering charge... unfortunately the positive marijuana test suggests that Rioli's tampering with the original sample (or the process) may have had a more sinister reason... it's gone from silly mistake to trying to cover up something...

I hope it doesn't happen but I just feel we've probably seen the last of Willie on the big stage...

Last edited: