News Injuries & Suspensions

AFL Club
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Adelaide midfielder David Mackay is expected to dodge suspension for the hit that broke Hunter Clark’s jaw because he was legally contesting the ball despite the brutal nature of the incident.
Match review officer Michael Christian will consider the decision on Sunday but a pair of precedents this year are likely to see Mackay playing on without suspension.

Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara was not suspended for a hit that rocked Will Hayward on Friday night, while Gold Coast’s Jarrod Harbrow escaped censure for a similar collision with Carlton’s Michael Gibbons.

In both of those incidents the player had their hands on the ball when a collision occurred, and were deemed to have legally contesting the football.

Only if a player is found guilty of a reportable act is the damage to an opponent relevant.

AFL Club
West Coast
Adelaide midfielder David Mackay is expected to dodge suspension for the hit that broke Hunter Clark’s jaw because he was legally contesting the ball despite the brutal nature of the incident.
Match review officer Michael Christian will consider the decision on Sunday but a pair of precedents this year are likely to see Mackay playing on without suspension.

Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara was not suspended for a hit that rocked Will Hayward on Friday night, while Gold Coast’s Jarrod Harbrow escaped censure for a similar collision with Carlton’s Michael Gibbons.

In both of those incidents the player had their hands on the ball when a collision occurred, and were deemed to have legally contesting the football.

Only if a player is found guilty of a reportable act is the damage to an opponent relevant.
On the vision I have seen Clark has contact with the ball before Mackey touches the ball and clearly head high contact takes place but it is a raffle these days.

1623575735056.png

AFL Club
Sydney
On the vision I have seen Clark has contact with the ball before Mackey touches the ball and clearly head high contact takes place but it is a raffle these days.

View attachment 31142
Looked to me like a legitimate play on the ball rather than a bump and I don't know what else he can do in that situation but what he did.

For mine, just an unfortunate outcome where two players go hard at the ball and one gets injured and that's as far as it should go. Same as O'Meara on Friday for mine which they nailed the call on for mine.