[KFC BBL08] Big Bash League Fantasy Discussion - Starts 19th Dec 2018

AFL Club
Collingwood
Matt Parkinson joins Melbourne Stars' legspin influx

Lancashire and England Lions legspinner Matt Parkinson has signed with Melbourne Stars for the Big Bash.

He will play half the season for the Stars when Nepal legspinner Sandeep Lamichhane switches to the Bangladesh Premier League.
Parkinson has established himself as one of the leading limited-overs bowlers in English domestic cricket. He was the second-highest wicket-taker in the 2018 T20 Blast with 25 scalps at 16.60 and an economy rate of 7.32, which backed up being the leading bowler in the 50-over Royal London Cup with 18 wickets, as he pushed his claims for full England honours.

"I am hugely excited to have signed for the Melbourne Stars. It's one of the biggest T20 competitions in the world and I can't wait to get over there and meet the rest of the squad," Parkinson said. "It's a competition I have watched and admired for a long time and one that I've always wanted to play in. To have the chance to play for the Stars at the Melbourne Cricket Ground would be a dream come true.

"Whilst I've been really pleased with my T20 form over the last couple of years, I still have a lot to learn with the white ball and this will be another fantastic opportunity for me to develop my game, learn from some of the best players in the world and challenge myself in-front of some really big crowds."

Legspin will play a key part for the Stars throughout the competition with Adam Zampa, who has been recalled by Australia for the series against Pakistan, also in the squad.

AFL Club
Collingwood
HANDSCOMB PENS TWO-YEAR DEAL WITH STARS

Test hopeful Peter Handscomb has recommitted to the Melbourne Stars on a two-year deal ahead of this summer's KFC Big Bash League.
Handscomb, who has played for Australia in Tests and ODIs in recent years, adds considerable experience and stability to the Stars' batting line-up, which has lost English mainstays Luke Wright and Kevin Pietersen.

A foundation Star, Handscomb has played 30 matches in green and has 453 runs to his name, including a memorable 103no against the Perth Scorchers in BBL|04.

"I'm really happy to re-sign with the Stars," Handscomb said. "I have a lot of friends here and to get to play with the likes of (Marcus) Stoinis, (Scott) Boland and (Adam) Zampa again is something that excites me.

"We're a pretty close group and there are a few of us that have played together for the last three or four years, so we've gotten to know each other quite well both on and off the field.

"We also have some new faces at the club and we're really looking forward to welcoming them to the Stars family."
Stars List Manager Trent Woodhill said securing Handscomb strengthens the team's batting line-up.

"It was a major focus for us to lock in Pete along with Marcus Stoinis," Woodhill said. "These two guys along with Glenn Maxwell, Nic Maddinson and Ben Dunk will provide us with a strong batting spine that features an array of quality local batters.

"We think that Pete is someone who can dominate this tournament, as seen by his century against the Scorchers, and from the recent JLT Cup, we know that he is in good white-ball form.

"We also know that Pete has strong leadership skills – he's proven himself as a leader not just at the Stars but in his role as captain of Victoria."
The Stars open their BBL|08 campaign against Sydney Thunder on December 21, and will host their first home match on January 1 with a blockbuster New Year's Day Derby at the MCG.

Melbourne Stars squad to date: Michael Beer, Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman, Travis Dean, Ben Dunk, Seb Gotch, Sandeep Lamichhane (Nepal), Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Matt Parkinson (England, *international replacement), Marcus Stoinis, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa