Position Midfield Rookies

Which Midfield rookies will you be taking into round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As we near the start of the season and the drop of the all important round 1 teams, I thought it would be an enlightening little exercise to see where the site as a collective sits on the rookie situation.

I've made a poll (hope I've done it right) for each line (excluding rucks) to allow us to gauge who appear to be the most selected rookies by the site.

As to DPP players, if they are M/F or D/M I've included them in their non midfield positions. D/F players are included on both lines.

I've tried to include the most popular choices though if I've forgotten anyone feel free to let me know and I'll try to rectify it.

Thanks to everyone that participates.

AFL Club
St Kilda
I selected Walsh, Butters, Scott, Atkins & Gibbons.

If Constable is named I will find a way to fit him in, possibly instead of Gibbons although the timing of all the teams will make Gibbons very hard to pass up.

Likewise if Hind is named I would find him very tempting. If all of Constable, Atkins, Scott and Hind are named, I will probably have to reshuffle a bit to fit at least 3 of them in. I may also risk skipping Butters in that scenario. I'm expecting Hind not to be named and my gut tells me no Constable either.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I selected Walsh, Butters, Scott, Atkins & Gibbons.

If Constable is named I will find a way to fit him in, possibly instead of Gibbons although the timing of all the teams will make Gibbons very hard to pass up.

Likewise if Hind is named I would find him very tempting. If all of Constable, Atkins, Scott and Hind are named, I will probably have to reshuffle a bit to fit at least 3 of them in. I may also risk skipping Butters in that scenario. I'm expecting Hind not to be named and my gut tells me no Constable either.
Im struggling on the Constable pick too, outside of Walsh I think he has the most scope for spike games if played in preferred position, though i just dont know where he fits into Geelongs side.

I've selected Walsh, Butters, Constable, Scott, Atkins & Gibbons myself, though Im starting to think that 6 decent rookies is going to be quite a stretch.

AFL Club
Essendon
Walsh, Scott, Constable, Atkins and Gibbons for me.

Butters I'm not sure about Had a great JLT and looks like he's going to be a very good player, and has great job security. But if he's going to be stuck playing forward pocket at AFL level in his rookie season then I'm not sure if he's worth the extra 35-40k. Port have a lot of players to rotate through that midfield and so he may not get many minutes in there. Think I'd rather save the money and just start Scott who showed equally good scoring throughout the JLT and looks like a ball magnet.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Walsh, Butters (Constable, Atkins, Gibbons) for me

Constable v Scott is the one that'll be interesting come team selections. Also, the alternatives, should neither get selected!

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im struggling on the Constable pick too, outside of Walsh I think he has the most scope for spike games if played in preferred position, though i just dont know where he fits into Geelongs side.

I've selected Walsh, Butters, Constable, Scott, Atkins & Gibbons myself, though Im starting to think that 6 decent rookies is going to be quite a stretch.
6 ??? I currently have 11 in my team ?.

Think a lot of coaches will be anxious to see the sides the twins select this week.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Do people have a contingency if none of Constable, Scott, Hind or Bewley get named? Just a matter of Duursma into the mids and grabbing McKay / Joyce / Burgess types? Or Hately if he gets named?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do people have a contingency if none of Constable, Scott, Hind or Bewley get named? Just a matter of Duursma into the mids and grabbing McKay / Joyce / Burgess types? Or Hately if he gets named?
For me it means splitting Macrae down into Rocky + Brouch, though im loathe to do it. I reckon we'll be ok for mid rookies though.

AFL Club
St Kilda
This would be my ideal scenario. I would have license from the universe to change Whitfield+Scott to Hanley+B Crouch, which is what I secretly want but can't really rationalise. Plus we have a heap of downgrade options in the pipeline.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
For me it means splitting Macrae down into Rocky + Brouch, though im loathe to do it. I reckon we'll be ok for mid rookies though.
Interesting, gee that would really be a big change in the profile of your line up. You wouldn't consider something like Macrae down to a $550k / $600k type and getting a Hately or Cousins?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
This would be my ideal scenario. I would have license from the universe to change Whitfield+Scott to Hanley+B Crouch, which is what I secretly want but can't really rationalise. Plus we have a heap of downgrade options in the pipeline.
Hahaha. Massive change in the team profile as well, interesting.
I guess I'm already quite mid pricery so will probably be looking to slot in a Cousins or Ridley, or maybe even a FD.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting, gee that would really be a big change in the profile of your line up. You wouldn't consider something like Macrae down to a $550k / $600k type and getting a Hately or Cousins?
Id think about Hatley if named I reckon. Im quite bullish on Rocky but im really trying to resist the mid priced urge, would give me an excuse to let go of my inhibitions.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Hahaha. Massive change in the team profile as well, interesting.
I guess I'm already quite mid pricery so will probably be looking to slot in a Cousins or Ridley, or maybe even a FD.
Reading over the pathetic way I worded that post was enough to log back in and change to Hanley/Crouch. Have some courage, Stephen!