Position Midfielder Discussion

Who are your likely 3 starters post Marsh 1...?

• Macrae

Votes: 74 69.2%
  • Neale

Votes: 57 53.3%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Kelly

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Cripps

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • Dunkley

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Titch

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Danger

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Bont

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Oliver

Votes: 35 32.7%

• Total voters

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
T Mitchell:
1581494182240.png

1581494215258.png

1581494234665.png

Wins: 117.87 from 54 (11/54 below 100, 27/54 120+)
2015: 118 from 12
2016: 110.06 from 17
2017: 114.5 from 10
2018: 128.87 from 15

Losses: 107.96 from 28 (11/28 below 100, 8/28 120+)
2015: 72 from 5
2016: 83.2 from 5
2017: 121.82 from 11
2018: 129.57 from 7

Pre Bye: 114.16 from 43 (13/43 below 100, 17/43 120+)
2015: 111.29 from 7
2016: 106.15 from 13
2017: 115.83 from 12
2018: 123.64 from 11

Post Bye: 115.23 from 40 (9/40 below 100, 19/40 120+)
2015: 99.7 from 10
2016: 100.78 from 9
2017: 122.5 from 10
2018: 134.55 from 11

SC Avg at Hawthorn (2017-2018): 123.98 from 44 (3/44 below 80, 6/44 below 100, 22/44 120+)
Disposals Avg at Hawthorn (2017-2018): 35.75 from 44

SC avg when disposals equal/exceed 36: 142.59 from 22 (0/22 below 100, 18/22 120+)
SC avg when disposals below 36: 105.36 from 22 (6/22 below 100, 4/22 120+)

AFL Club
Richmond
Dion Prestia says there are two big ways Marlion Pickett has improved his game over summer

Richmond midfielder Marlion Pickett is sure to be a popular KFC SuperCoach pick this year, with even teammate Dion Prestia suggesting he will pick him. Here’s why.

Reigning Richmond best-and-fairest Dion Prestia believes “hugely talented” teammate Marlion Pickett only scratched the surface of what he is capable of last year and has grown significantly as a player over summer.

Pickett debuted in last year’s Grand Final, gathering 22 disposals, three clearances and nine score involvements in the Tigers’ 89-point crushing of Greater Western Sydney.

A mid-season draftee last year, the 28-year-old produced the performance just over four months after playing his last WAFL game for South Fremantle.

Prestia said Pickett had learnt plenty across his first AFL pre-season and there had been tangible signs of his improvement on the track.

“I’d definitely be picking him in SuperCoach,” Prestia told the Herald Sun from a shoot for Kayo Sports on Wednesday.

“He’s been absolutely amazing, really. Coming into the team halfway through last year and playing in the VFL and then the AFL premiership is pretty impressive. He hasn’t missed a beat all pre-season.

“He’s done every session and he’s looking pretty good. I can’t wait to see what he’ll produce this year having a full AFL pre-season under his belt.

“I think it’s pretty awesome for him to come into a midfield with (Trent) Cotchin, (Dustin) Martin, (Shane) Edwards where he doesn’t have to be the best player. He doesn’t have to stand out and make all the decisions. He can just be himself and play his normal game which I think is going to be the best thing for Marlion.”

Prestia, who joined Richmond from Gold Coast Suns at the end of 2016, said he knew from personal experience that it took time to adjust to a new club and a new system, adding that Pickett would benefit enormously from having had a full pre-season at Punt Rd.

“It takes a while to get your head around the game plan and get to know our running patterns, how we defend and how we move the ball,” Prestia said.

“So for him to be able to do what he did on Grand Final day after only a couple of games with us was incredible.

“I know when I first came to Richmond it took me more than a couple of weeks to get used to that even after doing a full pre-season.

“Now he’s got a whole pre-season under his belt and I think that’s where he’ll get his improvement – knowing where to run and knowing the ball movement.”

Pickett has a bargain-basement SuperCoach price this year of $123,900.

Richmond meets Collingwood in its first game of the Marsh Community Series on Sunday, March 1.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/0ea9e531d043ba666963093691f961f9

AFL Club
Richmond
Dion Prestia says there are two big ways Marlion Pickett has improved his game over summer

Richmond midfielder Marlion Pickett is sure to be a popular KFC SuperCoach pick this year, with even teammate Dion Prestia suggesting he will pick him. Here’s why.

Reigning Richmond best-and-fairest Dion Prestia believes “hugely talented” teammate Marlion Pickett only scratched the surface of what he is capable of last year and has grown significantly as a player over summer.

Pickett debuted in last year’s Grand Final, gathering 22 disposals, three clearances and nine score involvements in the Tigers’ 89-point crushing of Greater Western Sydney.

A mid-season draftee last year, the 28-year-old produced the performance just over four months after playing his last WAFL game for South Fremantle.

Prestia said Pickett had learnt plenty across his first AFL pre-season and there had been tangible signs of his improvement on the track.

“I’d definitely be picking him in SuperCoach,” Prestia told the Herald Sun from a shoot for Kayo Sports on Wednesday.

“He’s been absolutely amazing, really. Coming into the team halfway through last year and playing in the VFL and then the AFL premiership is pretty impressive. He hasn’t missed a beat all pre-season.

“He’s done every session and he’s looking pretty good. I can’t wait to see what he’ll produce this year having a full AFL pre-season under his belt.

“I think it’s pretty awesome for him to come into a midfield with (Trent) Cotchin, (Dustin) Martin, (Shane) Edwards where he doesn’t have to be the best player. He doesn’t have to stand out and make all the decisions. He can just be himself and play his normal game which I think is going to be the best thing for Marlion.”

Prestia, who joined Richmond from Gold Coast Suns at the end of 2016, said he knew from personal experience that it took time to adjust to a new club and a new system, adding that Pickett would benefit enormously from having had a full pre-season at Punt Rd.

“It takes a while to get your head around the game plan and get to know our running patterns, how we defend and how we move the ball,” Prestia said.

“So for him to be able to do what he did on Grand Final day after only a couple of games with us was incredible.

“I know when I first came to Richmond it took me more than a couple of weeks to get used to that even after doing a full pre-season.

“Now he’s got a whole pre-season under his belt and I think that’s where he’ll get his improvement – knowing where to run and knowing the ball movement.”

Richmond meets Collingwood in its first game of the Marsh Community Series on Sunday, March 1.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/0ea9e531d043ba666963093691f961f9
I didn't need any more convincing in starting Pickett (like everyone else) but geez that sounds great from a Tigers perspective.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Damn now I gotta find room for him

AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone have any insight why Elliot Yeo's TOG went from 87.2% in 2018 to 81.0% in 2019? He had that toe injury in preseason and a minor calf injury mid year but it seems like it was consistent all year.

Big scope for improvement with a better preseason if he can get back to his 2018 TOG but would love to know why the drop off last year.

THCLT

BBL|05 Winner
AFL Club
North Melb.
Anyone have any insight why Elliot Yeo's TOG went from 87.2% in 2018 to 81.0% in 2019? He had that toe injury in preseason and a minor calf injury mid year but it seems like it was consistent all year.

Big scope for improvement with a better preseason if he can get back to his 2018 TOG but would love to know why the drop off last year.
I recall @Rowsus mentioning that increased midfield generally equates to a lowering in %TOG as they need to run more hence more rest. His clearance numbers certainly supports the notion that he was around the ball more so last season than in 2018.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I recall @Rowsus mentioning that increased midfield generally equates to a lowering in %TOG as they need to run more hence more rest. His clearance numbers certainly supports the notion that he was around the ball more so last season than in 2018.
Other than a game or two he played full time mid in 2018 didn't he?

AFL Club
Geelong
I've landed on the below selection of premium midfielders at this early stage, tbh not an awful lot of Marsh Challenge will influence any changes. The studs will be going at around 75% in these matches, so can't read too much into how they look.

Macrae, Fyfe, Cripps, Danger, Oliver.

Macrae/Dunkley/Bont still very much a coin flip, but it's hard to leave out the best SC mid for two straight seasons in Macrae.

Where's everyone else at with their crop of premo mids?

AFL Club
Collingwood
I've landed on the below selection of premium midfielders at this early stage, tbh not an awful lot of Marsh Challenge will influence any changes. The studs will be going at around 75% in these matches, so can't read too much into how they look.

Macrae, Fyfe, Cripps, Danger, Oliver.

Macrae/Dunkley/Bont still very much a coin flip, but it's hard to leave out the best SC mid for two straight seasons in Macrae.

Where's everyone else at with their crop of premo mids?
Bont , Cripps , Danger & Oliver so far for me (hopefully)

Depending on my M9/F8 will likely start Whitfield in the mids and then have the option of selecting 4 mids during the season.

AFL Club
Sydney
Bont , Cripps , Danger & Oliver so far for me (hopefully)

Depending on my M9/F8 will likely start Whitfield in the mids and then have the option of selecting 4 mids during the season.
I did that with Dane Swan a few years back, I "knew" he'd be a top forward whereas the Mids were more of an unknown. Unfortunately I think I had a Fwd premo get injured in R2/3 so the strategy didn't get to play out for very long.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I did that with Dane Swan a few years back, I "knew" he'd be a top forward whereas the Mids were more of an unknown. Unfortunately I think I had a Fwd premo get injured in R2/3 so the strategy didn't get to play out for very long.
I am happy with my 4 premium mids at the moment , and it is rare that the same Top 12 miss are the same season to season so gives me a bit more flexibility.

Maybe we will have 30-40 rookies available Round 1 and everything can change again.

If I end up with "extra" money I could just swap Dusty & Whitfield and upgrade Dusty to a premium mid and bring him in later.

Or just swap Whitfield & Cockatoo around

Like most I guess I have a list of preferred rookies that we are all hopeful get selected.

AFL Club
Richmond
what’s your thoughts on walsh? can he be like oliver and ave 110 in his second year. all reports his been killing it. put on a lot of size and been working on his contested ball niumbers. worth a punt?

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
what’s your thoughts on walsh? can he be like oliver and ave 110 in his second year. all reports his been killing it. put on a lot of size and been working on his contested ball niumbers. worth a punt?
He’s been in and out of my team. Trying to figure out whether he will average around 100 or around 110 is proving rather difficult.