Position Midfielders Discussion

Who will you start from the most expensive midfielders?

• Mitchell

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Macrae

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Cripps

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • Oliver

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • Kelly

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Neale

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Treloar

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Coniglio

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
How much should potential tags be taken into account when selecting a mid?
I love Josh Kelly as a player and a supercoach player, but now with Shiel gone it is hard to see him not getting the tag most games.
Not saying he can't play through it but he will get a lot more attention this year.
If I think he can go 115 - 120 but not factoring in the every week tag, would this need to be offset by a few points? Or is it better to not worry about what may or may not effect his scoring?
If you think he will be tagged then I can’t see why you wouldn't factor that in. Some players are much better at dealing with tags than others, but personally I would always prefer to see my players not tagged ... which tells me it’s negative for scoring for basically everyone.

Check out Merrett or Zorko’s round by round scores on footywire.com. They went from pretty reliable options to abominable scorers early last year through more attention.

Both worked through it to varying degrees, but if you started them it was very sub optimal. Even though both did better in the second half of the year, other coaches had the opportunity to upgrade into them at much lower pricing, and some of those who timed it right would have dodged their poor scores as well.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02...m=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

…………..Fyfe expected 33-year-old veteran David Mundy would be shifted from his predominantly forward role to help cover dual Doig medallist Lachie Neale's absence in the early rounds...……..

"Lach's a big loss from a leadership capacity and just his general ball-winning, that contested-type player," Fyfe said.
"There is a bit of a hole there. Reece Conca has come across (from Richmond) and he's putting his hand up, as is (ex-Bomber) Travis Colyer.
"(Adam) Cerra and (Andy) Brayshaw in their second years are players we're putting a lot of time and effort getting them into our midfield.

"The obvious replacement is Dave Mundy, who has played as a forward for us the last year, year-and-a-half, but he's an established midfielder and most likely, particularly in the short term, he'll come back in and play as a midfielder."

Ricky Bobby

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very interesting re Mundy
I just wish he was a bit cheaper. He was a good POD for me last year, but I think he cost around $490k rather than the $520k this year. Having said that, $520k shows he had a reasonable year and more mid time can only help him as he did seem to spend quite a bit of time up forward in 2018.

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very interesting re Mundy
I just wish he was a bit cheaper. He was a good POD for me last year, but I think he cost around $490k rather than the $520k this year. Having said that, $520k shows he had a reasonable year and more mid time can only help him as he did seem to spend quite a bit of time up forward in 2018.
I would luv to put another purple jumper in my team but at his price he has to be a keeper. The article made it clear to me that the young guys are the priority. He might have a hot start and then drag the forward line down for the rest of the year. Especially when you look at the number of young supercoach forwards that could become priority mids for their AFL team.

anfa18

Vice Captain
AFL Club
North Melb.
Based on his DE from last season (just 62%) he has plenty of upside, more mid time should be a big bonus.

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty keen on Bont for a few reasons
- Still only 23 so in the zone for a 110+ breakout year after 4 years between 103-107. Only missed 5 games in last 4 years
- The last 3 games of the season he had his 3 highest possession games of the year. Could be learning to find the ball more or Beveridge realised to leave him in the middle
- Supercoach love child. Has averaged around 4.3 points per touch over the last 4 years which is elite compared to most mids. If he bumps his average touches up to 26-27 can definitely see a 115+ year. Had 7 games where he found the ball 24 times or more. Averaged 127 in these games with all but 1 of these being 120+ scores and 3 of them being losses.
- Don't know how the knew rules or Libbas return will affect him but at this stage he's in my side as my 5th midfielder but also weighing up Oliver, Merrett and a few others for the same spot
Bumping your post from Dec, but I've come back to Bont as well - looking at a few in that Merrett price range possibly to replace Merrett.

Being parked at full forward with the Doggies lack of tall forward options definitely is a concern but body possibly is another concern. Seems like every year you can make a case for Bont based on scoring potential because he averaged 115+ excluding Round X, Y, Z as he was carrying an injury or was underdone. Last season again, I've tracked down that he hyperextended his knee in Round 13 and then had 3 scores of 87, 94 and 67 after that. Then had an appendix removed. Also missed Round 7 with hip soreness, and FF shows that he seemed to be having hip soreness issues in R22 to finish the year. Hip soreness also affected his finish to 2017, and seems to be a ongoing concern re Bont on the doggies BF board.

A positive sign is that Bont is fine to play AFLX - so his body must be in decent shape (or he's really in need of $50k).

I'll be keen to see where Bont lines up in the JLT, whether forward or midfield. I avoided him last year as I was pretty sure he'd be playing more time forward. Still averaged 104, which is still pretty good (although he missed a few games). If his body looks OK, the role risk is the only thing you'd be taking with him. And he might even be able to push 110 as a forward if fully fit. BIG POD at the moment, only 4% ownership. That alone has me interested considering his potential.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
In the 7 games without Fyfe last year he averaged 106, this year there will be Fyfe but no Neale, but the idea that he's getting more midfield time is still the same.

Only issue is Blakely coming back might eventually take those midfield minutes off him, but then Fyfe probably gets injured or suspended and he gets them back, only for Walters to come in and take them off him before he gets suspended or injured and Mundy gets them back, only for Ross Lyon to send Mundy to full forward and play Hogan in the centre square and Lobb in the ruck, before they both get injured, and Mundy plays ruck for the rest of the year and goes big week after week.

Other issue is he's also 33 this year, and although he's done well thus far, at that age it's always a risk that they fall off the cliff.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In the 7 games without Fyfe last year he averaged 106, this year there will be Fyfe but no Neale, but the idea that he's getting more midfield time is still the same.

Only issue is Blakely coming back might eventually take those midfield minutes off him, but then Fyfe probably gets injured or suspended and he gets them back, only for Walters to come in and take them off him before he gets suspended or injured and Mundy gets them back, only for Ross Lyon to send Mundy to full forward and play Hogan in the centre square and Lobb in the ruck, before they both get injured, and Mundy plays ruck for the rest of the year and goes big week after week.

Other issue is he's also 33 this year, and although he's done well thus far, at that age it's always a risk that they fall off the cliff.
Some great points raised and aside from Fyfe at a stretch I'm finding it really difficult to have any of them.

- Fyfe. Scoring never been an issue but with Neale gone and the injury / brain fade risk. Could take out the brownlow though if he could play a full season
- Walters. Yes, No, Yes , No ... been there before and not sure I can go back there. Held together by sticky tape IMO.
- Blakely. Scoring never really been an issue but so injury prone ... not sure I can take the risk even when he comes back.
- Ryan. Not sure yet but given the history of FRE players I've put a line through him at the moment too,

BigRuss

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bumping your post from Dec, but I've come back to Bont as well - looking at a few in that Merrett price range possibly to replace Merrett.

Being parked at full forward with the Doggies lack of tall forward options definitely is a concern but body possibly is another concern. Seems like every year you can make a case for Bont based on scoring potential because he averaged 115+ excluding Round X, Y, Z as he was carrying an injury or was underdone. Last season again, I've tracked down that he hyperextended his knee in Round 13 and then had 3 scores of 87, 94 and 67 after that. Then had an appendix removed. Also missed Round 7 with hip soreness, and FF shows that he seemed to be having hip soreness issues in R22 to finish the year. Hip soreness also affected his finish to 2017, and seems to be a ongoing concern re Bont on the doggies BF board.

A positive sign is that Bont is fine to play AFLX - so his body must be in decent shape (or he's really in need of $50k).

I'll be keen to see where Bont lines up in the JLT, whether forward or midfield. I avoided him last year as I was pretty sure he'd be playing more time forward. Still averaged 104, which is still pretty good (although he missed a few games). If his body looks OK, the role risk is the only thing you'd be taking with him. And he might even be able to push 110 as a forward if fully fit. BIG POD at the moment, only 4% ownership. That alone has me interested considering his potential.
You think hell return to the midfield? Im still failing to see who the doggies will play forward in his absence. If Boyd and Shache can lock down the KPP spots he could very well be a decent pick. Definitely one to watch.

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
You think hell return to the midfield? Im still failing to see who the doggies will play forward in his absence. If Boyd and Shache can lock down the KPP spots he could very well be a decent pick. Definitely one to watch.
TBoyd injured it appears, might not be there for R1. I guess they have English, Schache and Trengrove as targets too. Does the inclusion of Cavarra help?

Doggies aren’t gonna win another premiership by playing Bont forward, they’ll eventually have to find someone to play forward so Bont can win games from the middle. It’s more about taking a punt that Bevo decides to back in Schache/English types for the year rather than relying on Bont as a bandaid solution. Still something to monitor.

Otherwise, Bont comes with both role risk and injury risk so understandable why he’s unique but definitely has the upside if all things click for him. Although, the player positioning suggests he had <35% time forward last year so perhaps it was more the body than role that restricted him from achieving a 110 avg.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
TBoyd injured it appears, might not be there for R1. I guess they have English, Schache and Trengrove as targets too. Does the inclusion of Cavarra help?

Doggies aren’t gonna win another premiership by playing Bont forward, they’ll eventually have to find someone to play forward so Bont can win games from the middle. It’s more about taking a punt that Bevo decides to back in Schache/English types for the year rather than relying on Bont as a bandaid solution. Still something to monitor.

Otherwise, Bont comes with both role risk and injury risk so understandable why he’s unique but definitely has the upside if all things click for him. Although, the player positioning suggests he had <35% time forward last year so perhaps it was more the body than role that restricted him from achieving a 110 avg.
Always liked Bont but with Dahl gone, emergence of Dunkley, Libba back I've got my concerns ...

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon

I'm looking at the Bont after finding out today that Yeo is still ramping up his training and the Redden saying that "he should be ready for round 1", didn't realise Yeo was having such a delayed preseason. Like Yeo Bont is a pod with plenty of upside but I believe that upside only exists if he gets to play more time in the midfield and it's completely unsure whether that happens in my opinion. Last year he apparently spent 33% time forward, can't tell you where I read that but I definitely did. With Libba back, Macrae hitting his peak, and Mclean and Dunkley improving as midfielders, it's hard to trust that Beveridge doesn't continue to keep him forward that much, even if he is better as a mid, the bulldogs might be better off with him as a forward.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
Some great points raised and aside from Fyfe at a stretch I'm finding it really difficult to have any of them.

- Fyfe. Scoring never been an issue but with Neale gone and the injury / brain fade risk. Could take out the brownlow though if he could play a full season
- Walters. Yes, No, Yes , No ... been there before and not sure I can go back there. Held together by sticky tape IMO.
- Blakely. Scoring never really been an issue but so injury prone ... not sure I can take the risk even when he comes back.
- Ryan. Not sure yet but given the history of FRE players I've put a line through him at the moment too,
Haha yeah they have a lot of injury prone players and Ross Lyon as a coach and those two things combined mean uncertainty for Mundy's role.