Position Midfielders Discussion

Who will you start from the most expensive midfielders?

• Mitchell

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Macrae

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Cripps

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • Oliver

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Fyfe

Votes: 49 62.8%
  • Kelly

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Neale

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Treloar

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Coniglio

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02...m=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

…......With Ablett to play more inside attacking 50, Mitch Duncan forecast that the Cats would use strong, aggressive players at centre bounce stoppages to make the most of the new starting position rules.
"I think we've got some really powerful personnel and Patty's a really good example. Quinton Narkle, when he's around the footy, is really powerful and a go-forward player," Duncan said.
"You get them around the ball and they can give you first look then I think that can be really important. We've got to make it our strength, that's for sure."...…...

NT.Thunder

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
GWS Giants
I'm not sure Mundy scores all that well now days with increased mid time, being listed as a forward helps but at his price I'd rather a few other options on that line.

stephen

400 Games Club
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bumping your post from Dec, but I've come back to Bont as well - looking at a few in that Merrett price range possibly to replace Merrett.

Being parked at full forward with the Doggies lack of tall forward options definitely is a concern but body possibly is another concern. Seems like every year you can make a case for Bont based on scoring potential because he averaged 115+ excluding Round X, Y, Z as he was carrying an injury or was underdone. Last season again, I've tracked down that he hyperextended his knee in Round 13 and then had 3 scores of 87, 94 and 67 after that. Then had an appendix removed. Also missed Round 7 with hip soreness, and FF shows that he seemed to be having hip soreness issues in R22 to finish the year. Hip soreness also affected his finish to 2017, and seems to be a ongoing concern re Bont on the doggies BF board.

A positive sign is that Bont is fine to play AFLX - so his body must be in decent shape (or he's really in need of $50k).

I'll be keen to see where Bont lines up in the JLT, whether forward or midfield. I avoided him last year as I was pretty sure he'd be playing more time forward. Still averaged 104, which is still pretty good (although he missed a few games). If his body looks OK, the role risk is the only thing you'd be taking with him. And he might even be able to push 110 as a forward if fully fit. BIG POD at the moment, only 4% ownership. That alone has me interested considering his potential.
I'm a confirmed Bont addict as you know so my thoughts should be downgraded accordingly. I don't think he looked quite right throughout second half of last season. Sometimes he looked fine and played well, but then he went missing and/or looked sore. As you suggest I suspect his hips were playing up for most of the season. Hopefully just the kind of wear and tear that needed a rest over preseason, but no doubt a watch.

I wouldn't be relying on him getting a heap more mid time. Pizza Safety's number of 33% fwd time last year sounds right to me. Hopefully a bit more mid than last year but wouldn't be expecting him there permanently. I think he will always have a bit of forward time. If the team is going ok and the player is a good forward who kicks goals and has an instinct (and the freedom) to get there at the right time, I think that's actually a great SC role. Hard to get a line on Dogs but I think they'll be more competitive than last year.

In my gut I just think Bont is a champ and will have a 120+ year at some point and I don't want to miss the train. Seems like this is the last year you can rationally predict a breakout. He's not locked for me yet but if he is moving well in JLT and Dogs look competitive he will probably be in my team.

NT.Thunder

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
GWS Giants
I'm a confirmed Bont addict as you know so my thoughts should be downgraded accordingly. I don't think he looked quite right throughout second half of last season. Sometimes he looked fine and played well, but then he went missing and/or looked sore. As you suggest I suspect his hips were playing up for most of the season. Hopefully just the kind of wear and tear that needed a rest over preseason, but no doubt a watch.

I wouldn't be relying on him getting a heap more mid time. Pizza Safety's number of 33% fwd time last year sounds right to me. Hopefully a bit more mid than last year but wouldn't be expecting him there permanently. I think he will always have a bit of forward time. If the team is going ok and the player is a good forward who kicks goals and has an instinct (and the freedom) to get there at the right time, I think that's actually a great SC role. Hard to get a line on Dogs but I think they'll be more competitive than last year.

In my gut I just think Bont is a champ and will have a 120+ year at some point and I don't want to miss the train. Seems like this is the last year you can rationally predict a breakout. He's not locked for me yet but if he is moving well in JLT and Dogs look competitive he will probably be in my team.
I wouldn't be concerned about missing the train with Bont or anyone else for that matter. I'm not starting Bont but I'll have a plan to bring these bolters in early, I'm not scared to burn a few trades in the first few weeks to fix my team. The starting team is really important but I still think the first 3 weeks are equally as important getting the team settled. We very rarely ever get our starting teams correct from day one, just never be too proud to admit a mistake and let it fester throughout the year.

stephen

400 Games Club
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn't be concerned about missing the train with Bont or anyone else for that matter. I'm not starting Bont but I'll have a plan to bring these bolters in early, I'm not scared to burn a few trades in the first few weeks to fix my team. The starting team is really important but I still think the first 3 weeks are equally as important getting the team settled. We very rarely ever get our starting teams correct from day one, just never be too proud to admit a mistake and let it fester throughout the year.
Completely agree

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Exactly right - this year is the year for early correction trades because of the rule changes. I certainly will be keeping an open mind.

I’m considering starting with 600-700k in the bank to upgrade rookies to premos before round 3 after seeing the affects of the rule changes.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon

I'll still continue to consider him but I'm not convinced he will ever have a 120+ year, he should, but he hasn't yet fully developed his capacity to accumulate the footy. He's still got plenty of time to get those numbers up, and not just this year, but this does seem like the last time he's worth the gamble. The issue I have is that the bulldogs have a very good midfield, a decent back line but a pretty poor forward line. They will probably have Gowers, Schache, and Cavarra forward, along with a defender playing out of position, but this set up can change throughout the game. It makes me worry that they just need him as a forward because they have no options. You have Macrae, Libba and Hunter as sole mids but then you have a rotation of Wallis, McLean, Jong, Dunkley and Bont as guys who rotate mid and half-forward, with Bont and Dunkley able to play deeper. I mean it's just a mess and I wish they would settle it down a bit and keep Bont and one of the others more in the middle. You also end up with Caleb Daniel finishing the year in the back line, which worked but it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

With all of that being said with Yeo unlikely to be picked by me given he's still in the process of ramping up his training (also depending on how he he looks in JLT) I might pick the Bont simply because I need a pod with upside in my side. Even with 33% time forward he can average 110+ if he can improve his game and stay relatively injury free, if he gets the midfield time, again he has the tools to go big and needs to find more consistency. I would also have a look at Matt Crouch but I think Dusty offers better value than him and along with Cripps and Kelly having all 4 of them would mean too many players for me with the same bye.

Last edited:
That's madness. Why would you deliberately start with a 200 point handicap? Basically guarantees you'll lose to someone who nails some starting decisions.
Yeah upon reflection maybe it is not the best idea. I just don’t want to get 3-4 picks wrong which would cost way more than 200 points.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah upon reflection maybe it is not the best idea. I just don’t want to get 3-4 picks wrong which would cost way more than 200 points.
It's important to make money in the first part of the season, so to upgrade players later in the season. The money that is sitting in the bank is not making money. Most SuperCoaches don't start with a perfect team Rd1, many do correction trades in the first rounds.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-02-06/midfield-bolstering-for-battle

…….midfield coach Brett Kirk hopes a boost in depth will see the Swans’ engine room tick over to even higher revolutions in season 2019.
Half-back Callum Mills and small forward Tom Papley ………..the two young stars are now brushing shoulders with Kennedy and Parker in pre-season midfield drills.
Kirk told Swans Media ahead of the Christmas break that Oliver Florent, Zak Jones and Will Hayward were likely set for greater midfield responsibility themselves in 2019

“Gone are the days where you’ve got three or four key midfielders that spend the bulk of the time in there. We want our midfielders to be able to go forward, wing and even spend time back if we can, to keep them flexible and adaptable.”

Established midfielders Isaac Heeney and George Hewett are just two of Sydney’s troops mounting glittering pre-season campaigns,

bomberboy

Deputy Vice Captain
AFL Club
Essendon
dont do it you inevitably need to correct rookies and basically miss out on 2 premos vs everyone else until rd 5
Also, I feel like 2 rounds of data isn't worthwhile - you'd need to wait until round 6-7 to actually take away findings.

BlueNwhiteHoops

AFL Club
Geelong
I'll still continue to consider him but I'm not convinced he will ever have a 120+ year, he should, but he hasn't yet fully developed his capacity to accumulate the footy. He's still got plenty of time to get those numbers up, and not just this year, but this does seem like the last time he's worth the gamble. The issue I have is that the bulldogs have a very good midfield, a decent back line but a pretty poor forward line. They will probably have Gowers, Schache, and Cavarra forward, along with a defender playing out of position, but this set up can change throughout the game. It makes me worry that they just need him as a forward because they have no options. You have Macrae, Libba and Hunter as sole mids but then you have a rotation of Wallis, McLean, Jong, Dunkley and Bont as guys who rotate mid and half-forward, with Bont and Dunkley able to play deeper. I mean it's just a mess and I wish they would settle it down a bit and keep Bont and one of the others more in the middle. You also end up with Caleb Daniel finishing the year in the back line, which worked but it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

With all of that being said with Yeo unlikely to be picked by me given he's still in the process of ramping up his training (also depending on how he he looks in JLT) I might pick the Bont simply because I need a pod with upside in my side. Even with 33% time forward he can average 110+ if he can improve his game and stay relatively injury free, if he gets the midfield time, again he has the tools to go big and needs to find more consistency. I would also have a look at Matt Crouch but I think Dusty offers better value than him and along with Cripps and Kelly having all 4 of them would mean too many players for me with the same bye.
I hadn't heard anything about Yeo being injured as he is currently in the team, how long has he been injured for/ unable to run for, so far this preseason? I found info that its a toe injury but having trouble finding out how long he has had it for, cheers.

pizza safety

AFL Club
Essendon
I hadn't heard anything about Yeo being injured as he is currently in the team, how long has he been injured for/ unable to run for, so far this preseason? I found info that its a toe injury but having trouble finding out how long he has had it for, cheers.
He wasn't training until January and has slowly been increasing his running. It's a bit unclear https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...ared-to-up-pre-season-workload-ng-b881094267z.
That headline seems to be contradicted by the article, which says he is increasing his work load and not almost cleared to do so. It was Redden saying "he should be right for Round 1" that had me a bit worried. If he plays JLT I'll probably just pick him because he started last year with a worse preseason and a hip injury.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2019-02-05/west-coasts-injury-list-dwindling-by-the-day

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-06/star-leaves-track-early-with-leg-issue-as-eagles-feel-the-heat

" In promising news, Yeo (toe) and Barrass (foot) completed the entire early-morning session without a hitch.

Two-time John Worsfold medallist Yeo covered plenty of territory during 11-a-side match simulation, while Barrass wrestled and ran with workhorse Jack Darling."

BlueNwhiteHoops

AFL Club
Geelong
He wasn't training until January and has slowly been increasing his running. It's a bit unclear https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...ared-to-up-pre-season-workload-ng-b881094267z.
That headline seems to be contradicted by the article, which says he is increasing his work load and not almost cleared to do so. It was Redden saying "he should be right for Round 1" that had me a bit worried. If he plays JLT I'll probably just pick him because he started last year with a worse preseason and a hip injury.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2019-02-05/west-coasts-injury-list-dwindling-by-the-day

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-06/star-leaves-track-early-with-leg-issue-as-eagles-feel-the-heat

" In promising news, Yeo (toe) and Barrass (foot) completed the entire early-morning session without a hitch.

Two-time John Worsfold medallist Yeo covered plenty of territory during 11-a-side match simulation, while Barrass wrestled and ran with workhorse Jack Darling."
Hmm, thanks for the link and info, a bit sketchy regarding the ''round 1'' mention by Redden lol
I didn't realise he had missed so much of the preseason, I might have the make him an early upgrade target.

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood

Could you pick a POD elsewhere, or simply worry about PODs later? You don't seem overly convinced on Bont.

Even two starting sides that are identical will quickly generate different scores, because of on field and captaincy decisions, along with LTI replacements and upgrade targets.

randomcliche

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's important to make money in the first part of the season, so to upgrade players later in the season. The money that is sitting in the bank is not making money. Most SuperCoaches don't start with a perfect team Rd1, many do correction trades in the first rounds.
But I just did my trade plan, I didn't make any mistakes requiring amendment in the first 3 rounds :p