Discussion Music Discussion

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Going back in time (1989) and a different sport but always recall this one from Tina Turner in this NRL promo ...

Even found a version with Jimmy Barnes ...

Last edited:

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Artist: Stephen Bishop
Song: On and On
Album: Careless
Year: 1976

Introduced to this via his appearance on Gilbert Gottfried‘s Podcast with an amusing story involving a certain lyric and Bob Marley’s wife and has become one of my favourites since.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Song: Mrs Robinson
Artists: Simon and Garfunkel
Year: 1968
Featured in the movie- ”The Graduate”

Frank Sinatra’s cover version with changes to numerous lines.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Song: Escape (The Pina Colada song)
Artist: Rupert Holmes
Album: Partners in Crime
Year: 1979

Rupert Holmes: “The original lyrics said, "If you like Humphrey Bogart and getting caught in the rain."…
As I was getting on mic I thought to myself, I’ve done so many movie references to Bogart and wide-screen cinema on my earlier albums, maybe I shouldn’t do one here.
I thought, What can I substitute? Well, this woman wants an escape, like she wants to go on vacation to the islands. When you go on vacation to the islands, when you sit on the beach and someone asks you if you’d like a drink, you never order a Budweiser, you don’t have a beer. You’re on vacation, you want a drink in a hollowed-out pineapple with the flags of all nations and a parasol. If the drink is blue you’d be very happy. And a long straw. I thought, What are those escape drinks? Let’s see, there’s daiquiri, mai tai, piña colada… I wonder what a piña colada tastes like? I’ve never even had one.
I thought that instead of singing, "If you like Humphrey Bogart," with the emphasis on like, I could start it a syllable earlier and go, "If you like piña-a coladas."

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Song: Timothy
Band: The Buoys
Written by: Rupert Holmes
Year: 1970

According to his own account, Holmes and a colleague had discovered the Buoys and convinced Scepter Records to sign them to a one-single contract. Since the deal did not call for the label to promote the single, the band would have to find some other way to get themselves and their song known. Holmes suggested a novel solution to this problem: to purposefully record a song likely to be banned, thus generating publicity for the Buoys.

It presents the unnerving story of three men trapped in a collapsed mine, two of whom apparently resort to cannibalism, eating the third—the eponymous character Timothy.