Discussion Music Discussion

AFL Club
Fremantle
Here is my top 5
5. Con Te Partiro ( Philzsay beat me to it)
I fell in love with this song originally in Step Brothers then putting it in Blades of Glory sealed the deal for me
Will Ferrell crushs it in this scene

4.Duel of the fates by John Williams
Just Listen

3. YMCA by The Village People
Just a happy song that would lift any mood
2.Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO
Everyone in my generation knows all the words and will just vibe to this song

1. Never gonna give you up by rick astley
This is the internets theme song/ anthem
You know you know the words

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
My top 5 songs: all more for their meaning to me, at a time in my life, than there musical quality.

1) The Choir Boys - Run To Paradise

In my early 20's I was a pool shark. Literally. Not a hustler, but I did take quite a few beers and $5/$10 bets off people, but that was usually my limit. There are so many stories I could share. I played in some scary places run by the "Turkish mafia". Guys plonking down big wads of cash, wanting to play me in high stakes games. I never did though. Bouncers at one pub, that let me and my friends stay hours after closing, with free beer, because I kept beating them game after game (for only a $5/game bet). Where this song comes into it is, it was my "juice". I could be in a tight spot in a game, and if this song came on, I just couldn't miss! I'd let the rhythm go through me, and it was at the pace of my game. It's hard to explain. When you get on a roll, you get a rhythm. This song was my perfect rhythm!
I can't play for sh1t these days, as my eyes just don't cut it anymore. Haven't picked up a stick seriously in 20 years.

2) Divinyls - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore

One of the many, many times in my life, that I found myself in a weird head space. I got home pretty drunk, and was home alone. I wasn't depressed, but I was very much wrapped up in my thoughts. This song came on, and particularly the guitar opening, just spoke to me. It was raining a strange rain outside. Largish drops, but not pouring rain. At 2.30am I went outside, and danced in our front yard, in the rain, with this song playing over and over. I was out their dancing for about 25 or 30 minutes. When I was done, I went back to my chair, and just smiled to myself. It seemed pretty unreal at the time.

3) AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long

January 1981, long before "schoolies week" was a wet dream in some promoters pants, me and 6 mates went to the Gold Coast for 2 weeks of non-stop drinking, and whatever other trouble we could get up to. This was the first song that came on, at the first club we went to, and always instantly takes me back to that trip. It was an amazing trip for a group of 18 and 19 year olds! Probably tame in comparisom to what some of them get up to today, but we did ok. Not sure many of todays 18/19 year olds could drink beer 16-18 hours/day, every day for 2 weeks, what with pills and powders being more the order of the day, these days!

4) Linkin Park - Numb

This song is generational. My favourite band, and it speaks to me, and I can see how it speaks to my 20 year old grandson, too.

5) Pearl Jam - Better Man

I'm a very lucky man. I have 2 large groups of friends, and 2 amazing families. For around 7 or 8 years in a row, on Melbourne Cup Day, we would meet at one particular friends house, from one of those groups. Around 20 to 25 of us. We'd drink, punt, laugh, bbq, drink some more, then around 7.30 or 8.00pm, we'd crank up the music, and sing and drink even more. It was usually around a 14 hour session, from 11am until 1am, until his wife would get sick of us, and kick us out. Greatest times of my life. Great friends, drinking, punting, laughing, singing. I really have missed them, these past 10 years in Denmark. This song reminds of those times, as we'd really belt this one out, when it came on.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Mull of Kintyre is the only song I immediately thought of for emotional reasons. The rest of my top 5 will be songs I simply like and they could have been any number of songs really. There are so many reasons people like a song. I'm definitely for the music rather than the lyrics and I wouldn't even know half the lyrics of my favourite songs. People also have their own natural rythym, tempo, pitch etc. The way they talk, walk and interact with the world. I would say I don't like techno, hip hop, country, metal, classical etc, yet they will occasionally throw out one of my favourite songs. I would never sit and listen to a Stone Temple Pilots album yet this song never leaves my playlist.

AFL Club
West Coast
It's impossible for me to list just my top 5 songs... There is just way too much music that I love, So I'll give you my clear number 1 song... Then a selection of other songs that are very high on my list, Some are popular, and some are from bands you've probably never heard of.

First of all and easily my favorite song of all-time... It's 23 minutes long, but an absolute masterpiece. A masterclass of Prog-Rock.

Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons

Metallica - One

Tool - Eulogy

Guns N' Roses - November Rain

Pearl Jam - Black

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Part 2...

Karnivool - Change

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze

Jebediah - Monument

The Living End - The Room

The Winery Dogs - Regret

I love Soul To Squeeze, it’s my favourite RHCP song. I went and saw them at A Day On The Green in Geelong, they were so good but I was so bummed that they didn’t play STS! ?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
How about this for a mental exercise for you all.

What are your PERSONAL TOP 5 FAVOURITE SONGS of all time? And feel free to write a line or two as to why.

Not the best songs, not songs that you think others will like. Just songs that you have either listened to and sang along to a millions times, or have some kind of meaning to YOU.

Now to have a think about mine.
Ripper idea, Phil. You nailed this one!

AFL Club
West Coast
I love Soul To Squeeze, it’s my favourite RHCP song. I went and saw them at A Day On The Green in Geelong, they were so good but I was so bummed that they didn’t play STS! ?
Yeah Soul To Squeeze is easily my favourite RHCP song too. It's unbelievable to me that it didn't even make the cut for the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album. Such a great song. I've seen them live multiple time but haven't heard it live yet either. I'm stoked that John Frusciante is back in the band and can't wait to see what they come up with.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My top 5:

In no particular order and based on the listen/sing a long portion of Philzsay’s suggestion.

Stephen Bishop- On and On

Earth, Wind and Fire- September

Paul Simon- You Can Call Me Al

Billy Ocean- When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going

Elton John- I’m Still Standing

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Next up in my personal top 5 favourite tracks of all time is a track which was released in 1998.
I’ve been a fan of electronic music from a young age and one of my favourite periods is late 90’s trance. This track is my favourite from that genre and period.
These days I don’t listen to trance as I much prefer progressive house and techno but I will always love late 90’s trance.

At number 4 here’s ‘Universal Nation’ by Push.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Next up in my personal top 5 favourite tracks of all time is a track which was released in 1998.
I’ve been a fan of electronic music from a young age and one of my favourite periods is late 90’s trance. This track is my favourite from that genre and period.
These days I don’t listen to trance as I much prefer progressive house and techno but I will always love late 90’s trance.

At number 4 here’s ‘Universal Nation’ by Push.

Casey Kasem!