Discussion NBL RDT Dream Team Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
Just thought I'd start a thread to gauge interest for the Upcoming 2019/2020 NBL RDT Comp.

The season starts on 3rd October and runs through to the 16th February. Most weeks start on a Thurs or Fri and end on a Sunday, with occasional Mon & Wed games.

8 teams per league, 10 man rosters (5 Starters & 5 Bench Players... All of who count towards weekly score). And one of the unique features much like the NBA RDT is that some teams play multiple games per week so using your 30 trades take on more importance trying to maximize players on 2 games per week.

It's great strategic fun, gives you something to do in the AFL off-season, and it's also great watching some fantastic quality Basketball, even more so if you support one of the teams like I do with the Perth Wildcats.

There is also NBL Fantasy as well run by the same people who do AFL Fantasy. This comp has a few differences to NBL Dream Team... With an 11 man team (6 starters including a 6th Man plus 5 bench players all who count towards weekly score), 2 trades every week, Players prices that increase from the first game, and a different scoring system to NBL DT with bonus points for players that score double doubles & triple doubles.

Both comps should open within the next couple of weeks, So if this sounds interesting... Post your interest below. Would be great to have some SCS Leagues going this season if enough people are interested.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just thought I'd start a thread to gauge interest for the Upcoming 2019/2020 NBL RDT Comp.

The season starts on 3rd October and runs through to the 16th February. Most weeks start on a Thurs or Fri and end on a Sunday, with occasional Mon & Wed games.

8 teams per league, 10 man rosters (5 Starters & 5 Bench Players... All of who count towards weekly score). And one of the unique features much like the NBA RDT is that some teams play multiple games per week so using your 30 trades take on more importance trying to maximize players on 2 games per week.

It's great strategic fun, gives you something to do in the AFL off-season, and it's also great watching some fantastic quality Basketball, even more so if you support one of the teams like I do with the Perth Wildcats.

There is also NBL Fantasy as well run by the same people who do AFL Fantasy. This comp has a few differences to NBL Dream Team... With an 11 man team (6 starters including a 6th Man plus 5 bench players all who count towards weekly score), 2 trades every week, Players prices that increase from the first game, and a different scoring system to NBL DT with bonus points for players that score double doubles & triple doubles.

Both comps should open within the next couple of weeks, So if this sounds interesting... Post your interest below. Would be great to have some SCS Leagues going this season if enough people are interested.
Count me in. Love to partake in all the comps offered by the SCS members and a jam packed off-season for myself consisting of NBA, NFL, NBL, EPL and BBL will be very entertaining. A great aspect of these comps is gaining an interest in the sport and increasing knowledge of the players, game, etc whilst avoiding predispositions regarding selections due to the foreign concept.

AFL Club
West Coast
So after contacting Sportsdeck, they have informed me that they are not doing NBL Dream Team this year... A baffling decision considering basketball is once again on the rise in Australia, and also considering all the other smaller sports that Sportsdeck do have Dream Teams for.

I've been playing NBL Dream Team with them since 2005 so to stop doing it now is puzzling and very annoying.

Several of my friends from other message boards have contacted them in the hope to get the decision reversed, but it's probably not going to happen. It wouldn't be hard for them to reverse the decision though as they would already have the infrastructure in place to get it up and running very quickly. Can only hope.

AFL Club
West Coast
Meanwhile the NBL Fantasy Competition has opened!!

You select an 11 man team (6 starters including a 6th Man plus 5 bench players all who count towards your weekly score), 2 trades every week, Players prices increase from the first game, and a different scoring system to NBL DT with bonus points for players that score double doubles & triple doubles.

Also a prize of $10,000 and a VIP NBL Finals Experience.

It's quite a fun and challenging game. Just 9 days until the new season starts!!!

https://fantasy.nbl.com.au/classic

I've started up a SuperCoach scores league... The League Code is - E7XEYK3K

Hopefully there is enough people here to fill a league, and give us something to do over the summer.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You select an 11 man team (6 starters including a 6th Man plus 5 bench players all who count towards your weekly score), 2 trades every week, Players prices increase from the first game, and a different scoring system to NBL DT with bonus points for players that score double doubles & triple doubles.

It's quite a fun and challenging game. Just 9 days until the new season starts!!!

Hopefully there is enough people here to fill a league, and give us something to do over the summer.
Thanks. Just joined the league and created a team based on my limited knowledge, early fixture and ownership percentage.

PG: A Brooks, (L Ball)
SG: C Prather, (M Deric)
SF: L Patterson, (D Louzada Silva)
PF: K Noi, (J Lual-Acuil)
C: S Long, (W Magnay)
6th man: J Roberson

Remaining salary: 50,000

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

@Herbie66, @Tails, @Bermi, @Professor, @pizza safety, @KLo30, @Goodie's Guns, @Darkie, @PC, @Diabolical, @Ben's Beasts, @Tamuhawk, @THCLT, @IDIG, @Bomber18, @Ironhawk, @Courtesans, @Juzzo, @Nathan, @quite ironic, @jaca, @I am FT, @Snatch, @Verbal Kint, @Pearcey47, @doc ron

AFL Club
Collingwood

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://nbl.com.au/news/ten-standouts-from-the-2019-nbl-blitz

Deshon Taylor (Adelaide 36ers)
Adelaide went down in both of their games in Tassie but Deshon Taylor had some stretches where he showed exactly why Joey Wright brought him in. The defensive-minded guard had 12 points and 4 assists against Cairns but it was his efforts against Brisbane – especially when things got tough in the third quarter – that really impressed. Taylor scored 14 of his game-high 23 points in a six-minute stretch during that third term, helping to keep the 36ers in touch against a confident Bullets squad. Taylor will lead the way at the defensive end for Adelaide in NBL20 but he showed in Tassie that he can also be an offensive spark – something this 36ers squad will need from him all season.

Honourable mention: Eric Griffin

Will Magnay (Brisbane Bullets)
This will be year three for Magnay in the NBL – year two as a fully-contracted guy – and the 21-year-old is ready to take a bit of a leap. Magnay turned heads this winter with his play at the World University Games and put together an impressive body of work in the QBL. He has now carried that form towards NBL20 and, with the off-season departure of Cam Bairstow, he appears set to step into a larger role.
Magnay dominated Brisbane’s opening hit-out with 17 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks and then backed that up with a solid showing against Cairns two days later. The 6-foot-10 centre has always possessed intriguing physical tools but right now he looks stronger, more athletic and much more comfortable on the NBL floor than he ever has. Big year ahead.

Honourable mention: Taylor Braun

Nate Jawai (Cairns Taipans)
Jawai is fit, focused and ready to fire in NBL20.It looks like Taipans head coach Mike Kelly is going to bring the big fella off the bench this season and I think it’s a savvy move, opening the door for Jawai to be the focus of the offence during his minutes on the floor. Against Adelaide, Jawai scored 12 points (including the game-winning tip-in), grabbed 7 boards and threw 3 assists in 17 minutes of action. Two days later he was dominating against an undersized NBL1 squad before a knock to the head finished his night early.
The talk about Jawai’s improved physique is on the money and Big Nate looks good to go.

Honourable mention: Kouat Noi

LaMelo Ball (Illawarra Hawks)
If you didn’t know, now you know. Melo Mania was in full effect across the weekend as Ball showed out in his one and only appearance for the Hawks, helping him rise to number three on ESPN’s latest 2020 NBA Mock Draft. In a Kingborough stadium teaming with NBA scouts, Ball looked in total control against the NBL’s GOAT defender as he snaked off ball screens, got two feet in the paint and made good decisions with the ball. Ball also displayed his deep shooting ability, knocking down 4-of-6 triples including three in a row to begin the second half and another with just a minute to go in regulation. What most impressed about Ball, though, was his poise. He wasn’t ruffled at all by Damian Martin’s trademark pressure (although, admittedly, Martin is a different beast during the regular season). He simply went about his business; pushing the rock, exploring the gaps and making plays for both himself and his teammates. My favourite Melo moment of the Blitz? The joyous expression on his face when Tim Coenraad sent that game into OT. I mean, the kid was genuinely jubilant; instinctively celebrating that his teammate had made a play and that his squad was still a chance to win. Ball sat out Illawarra’s second game – a loss to Melbourne – but his performance against the defending champs sent shockwaves around the globe.

Honourable mention: Angus Glover

Jo Lual-Acuil (Melbourne United)
High-profile Melbourne recruits Shawn Long and Melo Trimble both played well in Tassie but let’s take this chance to show some love for former Baylor standout Jo Lual-Acuil. Lual-Acuil is tall, long and athletic and, after playing well in United’s earlier pre-season games, the South-Sudanese Aussie continued to impress at the Blitz. That was especially true in the event’s final game, when he put up 17 and 8 off the bench in Melbourne’s win over Illawarra. What’s most impressive about Lual-Acuil’s play is his versatile offensive skillset. Against the Hawks he scored a few times out of the block, made a presence of himself on the o-glass and even drilled a catch-and-shoot three that he stroked with absolute confidence. Standing seven-feet tall, he’s also shown a freakish ability to spark the break with the dribble as well as face up and score off the bounce against slower bigs. Lual-Acuil is a handful – look for him to play a chunk of back-up minutes for Melbourne this season

Honourable mention: Shawn Long

RJ Hampton (New Zealand Breakers)
Scotty Hopson’s a stud, Corey Webster continues to get buckets and Sek Henry will be a very important piece to the Breakers’ puzzle. But all eyes were on RJ Hampton during New Zealand’s two games at the Blitz as the Next Star stepped out in front of all those NBA scouts. That’s a lot of pressure for an 18-year-old playing his first pro game but the kid handled it admirably, leading the Breakers to a win over United and then a narrow loss to the Phoenix. Against Melbourne, Hampton was limited by foul trouble but was effective during his 21 minutes on the floor, putting up 11 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists. He then put more of his game on display against South East Melbourne, finishing with 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks; thrilling the crowd with his speed and athleticism at both ends of the floor. Hampton was back at it last night in Adelaide as he top-scored (19 points) for the Breakers in their hit-out against the 36ers. The kid’s legit and watching him blossom over the course of this season is going to be a whole lot of fun.

Honourable mention: Scotty Hopson

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like we are going to struggle to get a league here.

Bit surprising, thought Basketball was a bit more popular with more people supporting their local teams.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Clint Steindl (Perth Wildcats)
The Blitz is a pre-season tournament and the Wildcats are very much a post-season team. As such, there wasn’t a lot for the Red Army to get excited about in Tasmania with the defending champs going 0-2 across the weekend. One guy who did play reasonably well for the ‘Cats was Steindl, who re-signed over the off-season on a new two-year deal.‘The Sniper’ hit 3-of-5 threes on his way to 15 points in Perth’s overtime loss to the Hawks and then top-scored for his squad in their heavy loss to Sydney, putting up 17 points along with 4 assists and 2 steals. Steindl wasn’t particularly efficient against the Kings but in a game where everything was going Sydney’s way, his aggressive, confident approach was a welcome sight for Wildcats’ fans.

Honourable mention: Nick Kay (who did his thing while having his workload carefully managed)

Didi Louzada (Sydney Kings)
Two months ago I sat in the stands at the Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas and watched Louzada ball out for the New Orleans Pelicans in the NBA Summer League. Stepping out for the team who’d selected him at the recent NBA Draft, Louzada moved gracefully around the court; picking pockets, slicing to the cup and splashing threes. ‘Oh my,’ I remember thinking. ‘This kid is going to be unbelievable for the Kings.’Of course, a lot of guys do a lot of things in that Summer League environment that don’t always translate effectively onto the NBL hardwood. But that’s what makes Didi so special: the way he plays is perfectly translatable. You could see it instantly: he’s a long and active defender, he moves to all the right spots at both ends, he makes quick reads and quick decisions, has a beautiful shooting stroke and uses his explosive quickness to get to the rim when the defence plays him for his perimeter shot. The way Didi goes about his business makes him very easy to cheer for and now that he’s here on Aussie soil, we get to appreciate his brilliance every single week. Enjoy him while you can, Kings fans.

Honourable mention: Jae’Sean Tate

John Roberson (South East Melbourne Phoenix)
Despite missing their marquee man, Mitch Creek, for both games, the NBL’s brand new club went 2-0 in Tasmania on the back of some outstanding play from Roberson. The sharpshooting import guard nailed an incredible 7-of-7 threes in SEM’s opening win over Sydney, finishing with 31 points to get the better of his match-up with three-time All-NBL First Team guard Casper Ware. Roberson then showed a bit more of his versatility two days later against New Zealand, stuffing the stat-sheet with 16 points, 4 rebounds, 7 assists and 6 steals in another Phoenix win.The 30-year-old’s impressive play earned him the Ray Borner Medal as Blitz MVP and has foundation members bubbling with excitement for the club’s inaugural season.

Honourable mention: Tai Wesley

Isaac Turner (NBL1 All-Stars)
That was a tough weekend for the group of players thrown together to represent the NBL1 at the Blitz. The squad had one training session together before taking on Brisbane last Thursday and, with league MVP Demarcus Gatlin and star guard Deonte Burton not making the trip, they ended up going down by a zillion points. They fared much better against Cairns, though, and with a tick under six minutes left in that game they had an open look to cut the difference to single digits.The main reason they’d been able to hang tough was the play of NBL1 All-Star Five member Isaac Turner who had stuck a series of jumpers late in the third quarter and early in the fourth.Turner, who does his thing for the Kilsyth Cobras, finished that game with 21 points on 7-for-11 shooting from the field, two days after leading his team with 14 points in the loss to the Bullets.The former Saint Vincent College standout should now be on the radar for most NBL teams as a potential injury replacement option if someone goes down during the season.

Honourable mention: Dain Swetalla

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Like others, thanks, but no thanks. Unfortunately I don’t follow basketball at all - except for one year I said I followed Melbourne Magic just because most of my mates were into the Melbourne Tigers at the time. When I think about it, it was over 20 years ago so I have no idea if those teams still exist?

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like others, thanks, but no thanks. Unfortunately I don’t follow basketball at all - except for one year I said I followed Melbourne Magic just because most of my mates were into the Melbourne Tigers at the time. When I think about it, it was over 20 years ago so I have no idea if those teams still exist?
The Magic were formed in 1992 and then merged with the North Melbourne Giants in the 1998/1999 season to form the Victoria Titans until 2002 when they became the Victoria Giants and then dissolved in 2004. The Tigers have been known as Melbourne United since 2014.