New rules for 2019. How will they affect the game?

Which of the changes do you think will make it a better game?

• Change 1. Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Change 2. Kick-ins

• Change 3. Marks and free kicks in defence

• Change 4. Runners and water carriers

• Change 5. Umpire contact

• Change 6. 50m penalties

• Change 7. Kicking for goal after the siren

• Change 8. Marking contests

• Change 9. Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• You cannot be serious!

Results are only viewable after voting.

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought this deserved it's own thread to discuss what we like and dislike and how it might affect AFL in general and Supercoach.

The AFL has today announced nine new rule changes for the 2019 AFL season.

The immediate standout is the scrapping of the hands in the back rule – a staple of the game for a long time.
A push in the back will remain a free kick, but the placing of hands on the back will no longer result in a free.
While we will not see an 18 metre goal square, the player on the mark after a behind will be placed five metres further back.

Players can now run through the goal square and take off without having to kick the ball to themselves. They can also now handball the ball out from a behind.
The much-touted 6-6-6 set-up at centre bounces has been approved. This means all clubs must have six players in each area of the ground after a goal.

Read the AFL’s full breakdown of the new rule changes below, as per AFL.com.au

1. Traditional playing positions at centre bounces
• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
• Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

2. Kick-ins
• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
• Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.

3. Marks and free kicks in defence
• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

4. Runners and water carriers
• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
• Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

5. Umpire contact
• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.

6. 50m penalties
• The player with the ball:
• Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
• Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

7. Kicking for goal after the siren
• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
• Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
• BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

8. Marking contests
• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
• Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
• PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

9. Ruck contests: prior opportunity
• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
• Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love getting rid of the runners. The coaches could wire up the water carriers and there would be no need for runners at all. Given they are using the 50m arc for zones they could get rid of the centre square and goal square. Have the wingmen line up on the advertising spaces.

Blades

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
I think most of them are pretty good. I have my concerns re hands in the back. When two guys are jostling as the ball comes in its not to bad but when someone is on the lead is going to be hard to differentiate between a steadying hand of the defender and a gentle shove with momentum. Just didn't think that the hands in the back rule was a problem and I reckon it might open a can or worms. I bet they keep adjusting the interpretation every few rounds.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oops, I didn't see this thread, so I will cut and paste my thoughts from the 'General Discussion' thread.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
doc ron said:
The last one is a bit unclear to me. :oops: How often will the umpire be uncertain of who is in the Ruck contest? I would assume every ball up. You would think the 2 tallest blokes in the immediate vicinity would contest the contest. Does it really matter who goes up as long as it is 1 from each team? In alot of the games i watched this year the ump virtually nominated them anyway. Just throw the bloody pill up straightaway, even if there are no ruckmen in sight and can the boundary umps just throw it in straightaway. Why do they to make a simple task of throwing a ball over their head all about them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Simple, at ball up (and boundary throw ins), if more then 1 player from a team goes up, then it's a free. It's up to the teams to decide who goes up, so the umps don't need to worry about who is going up.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Regarding:
50m penalties
Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.

What happens if the infringing player is delaying the game? A free kick after the 50 meters kick is taken???:rolleyes:
Seriously thou, what penalty will the umpire give?

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
No more "kicks" registering for kick-ins?

That's big for some of the defenders

AFL Club
Collingwood
Love getting rid of the runners. The coaches could wire up the water carriers and there would be no need for runners at all. Given they are using the 50m arc for zones they could get rid of the centre square and goal square. Have the wingmen line up on the advertising spaces.
1 forward , 1 defender needs to start in the goal square as part of the 6-6-6

AFL Club
Collingwood
"Alfie" Langer has been doing this for years in the NRL with the Broncos , the water boy who essentially stays on the field most of the game as the onfield coach.

Not sure if he uses a earpiece or not to the coach.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne

Absolutely hate most of these! Those in charge of the game should hand in their resignations, effective immediately. It seems they are more intent on having a "legacy", than actually looking after the game.

1. Traditional playing positions at centre bounces
• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.

On you marks, get set, GO! All it means is that players, maybe 3 or 4, will be toeing the 50m arc line, and sprinting once the ball is bounced. Achieves nothing, offers a completely different set of circumstances for different grounds. There is avariation as great as 16 metres from the shortest ground to the longest ground. That means players on some grounds are 8 metres closer to achieving their goal of either getting to the action, or getting to the back line to cause congestion. That 8 metres could possibly decide a game. If the AFL is going to fool with the rules along these lines, we are not far from them introducing a rule that stipulates a standard ground size and dimension. Then we lose one of the truly unique parts of our game, forever!

• Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

Who decides where the wing is? Can they go down as far as the corner of the centre square? Just another thing to be officiated, in an over officiated, but under "rules followed" game!

2. Kick-ins
• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
• Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.

So I assume we are only a year or two off the goal square being removed all together? The only thing it is used for now, is to determine if a player gets to kick from straight in front, or has to go an angle. A netball Goal Attack type arc can't be far from our future!

3. Marks and free kicks in defence
• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

See? The Goal Attack arc lends itself to this perfectly!

4. Runners and water carriers
• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

More officiating, more confusuion, more stupid free kicks!

• Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

If water carriers were really causing that much problem, and the coaches were really tricking, and using them to pass messages, don't you think doctors/trainers will be roped in to do the same thing? Are they going to ban them, too?

5. Umpire contact
• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.

The contact is incidental, in a game where "mayhem" is part of it's attraction. For goodnees sake, the game survived over 100 years without having to put in these namby-pamby nanny state rules. Penalise deliberate contact, and let incidental contact be!!!

6. 50m penalties
• Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.

So I'm guessing a 2nd 50m penalty occurs in this instance, great!:rolleyes:

More opportunity for confusion, but I don't totally hate this one.

• BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

Adapting to style and play changes, fair enough. Wait for someone's kick to be called "ineligible" because he went 15cm over/past what is basically an imaginary line. Or similarly, calls that a kick should have been ineligible, because he went 50cm over/past said imaginary line.

8. Marking contests
• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
• Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
• PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

Wind the clock back to more sensible times. Bravo.
How long until some of these rules are wound back, too?!

9. Ruck contests: prior opportunity
• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
• Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.

The AFL rule committee in a nut-shell. Take a simple concept, that has been thrashed to death in the media, but be pig-headed and say "No! We know better". Everyone knows that keeping it simple, and just saying no nomination, but penalties for more than 1 up is the sensible, and easiest officiated approach. Everyone but the AFL, apparantly. I'd love them to explain why this isn't the rule, and I'll set my alarm for 2 years from now, when they announce it as a rule change for 2021!

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Posted below in a different thread before I saw this one.

With this new rule:
When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goal square.

What happens while the player on the mark is being brought back to the top of the goal square? Eg Defender marks just inside the point post. Ump blows whistle and starts directing the player on the mark to move back to the top of the square. Meanwhile the defender with the ball runs off and plays on in the opposite direction because no one is in front of him on the mark. Or is play going to stop and the ump puts both the man on the mark and the defender on the correct line as in the same when a person marks and is kicking for goal and the ump puts him on the correct line. If the latter won't that just give the opposition team more time to set up a zone and lock the ball in their forward line?

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast

Absolutely hate most of these! Those in charge of the game should hand in their resignations, effective immediately. It seems they are more intent on having a "legacy", than actually looking after the game.

Adapting to style and play changes, fair enough. Wait for someone's kick to be called "ineligible" because he went 15cm over/past what is basically an imaginary line. Or similarly, calls that a kick should have been ineligible, because he went 50cm over/past said imaginary line.
So does this also mean that when Buddy marks the ball 45m out on the flank in the GF with 10 seconds on the clock and the Swans are 5 points behind does this mean as soon he goes into his standard swing out wide kicking style of his the umps will blow the whistle and it is game over before the ball even gets kicked? OR does this rule only apply when the player is doing a checkside or kicking across their body?

Or when a player marks the ball next to the point post and it is blowing a gale straight down the ground towards the goal he is kicking at and as such he knows when he puts the ball in the air he needs to put it off to the side of the man on the mark to allow for the wind to bring it back he cannot do that? And what happens then when it does not go directly over the man on the mark? Does the ump stand directly behind or in line with the kicker to ensure this rule is applied? And if it doesn't go over the man on the mark is the kick void and game over. Are we going to be in the situation where 90,000 people will see the ball go through the goals and think one team has won only to have the kick declared void?

Reckon this one is going to cause a big stink sooner or later.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Posted below in a different thread before I saw this one.

With this new rule:
When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goal square.

What happens while the player on the mark is being brought back to the top of the goal square? Eg Defender marks just inside the point post. Ump blows whistle and starts directing the player on the mark to move back to the top of the square. Meanwhile the defender with the ball runs off and plays on in the opposite direction because no one is in front of him on the mark. Or is play going to stop and the ump puts both the man on the mark and the defender on the correct line as in the same when a person marks and is kicking for goal and the ump puts him on the correct line. If the latter won't that just give the opposition team more time to set up a zone and lock the ball in their forward line?
The man on the mark doesn't go to the top of the goal square, he moves backwards, until he is level with the top of the goal square. In the scenario, where the Def has marked at the point post, the man on the mark will be standing 10 metres from the point post, but directly in line with it.

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Ahhh...….My misinterpretion of the rule. However the rest of the query still applies. While the ump sends the man on the mark back 10m will the defender be able to play on? Or I play held up till the man on the mark is set?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ahhh...….My misinterpretion of the rule. However the rest of the query still applies. While the ump sends the man on the mark back 10m will the defender be able to play on? Or I play held up till the man on the mark is set?
As what the umpire is doing "favours" the Def, I would think he can run off his line and play on, but then that releases the guy that was moving backwards to then go and tackle him.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not in favour of all those rule changes, actually surprised how poor some are. Surely the 'rule makers' are intelligent people, so I would be keen to see their logical reasons for the changes.

I presume the rules changes were made because there were issues, but making rules that are going to cause more issues is not the way to go.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
With some research (see below), I have a better understanding of the rules changes.
I thought simplifying the game rules would be a priority, but I see that the AFL places more emphasis on making money by pleasing more of the public.
I suppose the AFL hierarchy would not keep their jobs if the AFL was losing crowds and money, I now see their logic. :sneaky:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/12/afl-agrees-on-nine-rule-changes-for-2019-season/

The AFL says it’s listened to fans and will introduce nine rule changes next year to produce more free-flowing football and make the game a better spectacle...…….The tweaks are designed to arrest some of the low-scoring football of the past five seasons......…..“The changes are about enhancing what’s great about the game – the fast and open nature of the game, the unique skills of the players and we’re also looking to even up the offensive and defensive strategies,” Hocking said (AFL general manager of football operations Steve Hocking)