Strategy New rules for 2019. How will they affect the game?

Which of the changes do you think will make it a better game?

• Change 1. Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Change 2. Kick-ins

• Change 3. Marks and free kicks in defence

• Change 4. Runners and water carriers

• Change 5. Umpire contact

• Change 6. 50m penalties

• Change 7. Kicking for goal after the siren

• Change 8. Marking contests

• Change 9. Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• You cannot be serious!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blades

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a lot of love for these new rules. I'm with Damian Barrett (Sliding Doors) on this one. At least that the rule changes are pretty good. Not that others are crazy for not liking them...
I think that's one of the great things about the game and this site...Intelligent, knowledgeable people about the game can look at the same new rules and for different reasons have a 100% different take on them.

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
Last edited:

Blades

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Carlton
Makes Grundy possibly a better option as he's been very good at this, especially in front of goal.

Eg:
I thinks, to a lessor extent, you could add Goldy and Nank to the list of beneficiaries. They seem to outbody or are quick to get in position for the occasional easy ball. Less so the great tap ruckman like Gawn, Naitanui etc who get heaps of points anyway from outjumping/ outreaching their opponents anyway

KLo30

AFL Club
North Melb.
Don't get over excited with the ruck rule. Coaches will now deploy a player at the stoppages to counter the ruckman who takes hold of the ball.

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't get over excited with the ruck rule. Coaches will now deploy a player at the stoppages to counter the ruckman who takes hold of the ball.
I think, in general, people are making too much of this rule change. The "prior opportunity" rule was only in place 5 years, and if you go back beyond then, Rucks sharking the ball at Ruck contests wouldn't happen more than 5 or 6 times in most games. From the number of stoppages in a game, that's not going to cause that may much of a change. What it will change, is Clubs putting "faux" rucks like Grigg into too many contests, as they will want to guard against this happening.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think, in general, people are making too much of this rule change. The "prior opportunity" rule was only in place 5 years, and if you go back beyond then, Rucks sharking the ball at Ruck contests wouldn't happen more than 5 or 6 times in most games. From the number of stoppages in a game, that's not going to cause that may much of a change. What it will change, is Clubs putting "faux" rucks like Grigg into too many contests, as they will want to guard against this happening.
Agree, but there isn't much else happening with Supercoach to get the SC adrenalin going :)

Prochard

Deputy Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally found the impact on sc of recent rule changes have been quite profound.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...f=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_afl

The AFL has introduced a "Toby Greene rule'' aimed at preventing players from raising their stops and causing injury in marking and other contests.
The AFL Commission has approved of a rule that will lead to a crackdown on players such as Greene who have raised their leg in a way that exposes opponents to boot-stud injury, with free kicks paid and potentially suspensions for more severe offences with studs up.
The Greene rule was passed by the commission, along with a raft of other reforms to the laws of the game, including a change to the bumping rule and have given the match review officer the option of a set penalty of three matches for some head high, severe and intentional incidents......…....As reported by The Age on Monday, the commission also changed the bumping rule to make the player who elects to bump liable if there's a head clash or other impact that isn't directly to the head and will crack down on low-level punches and niggles. The bumping change could be referred to as the Ryan Burton rule, given that the then-Hawk's bump on Shaun Higgins - for which Burton was cleared - was clearly the catalyst for the change.

Manikato1

150 Games Club
AFL Club
West Coast
The Toby Greene rule is really a bit of a non event as do we have a lot of those situations? Having said that did not like what Greene did. More likely a player gets a full knee in the back of the head during a marking contest than studs (and the knee to the head is not considered high contact still??). As for the niggle punches etc well they have said that off and on for years and it usually starts out being applied harshly first few games, then a wobble period followed by throw a dart at the board and let's see what the tribunal do. It never lasts and it just gets everyone annoyed when the penalties are not applied consistently. And can we just tag the player now instead of bumping him and then he hands the ball over to the opposition player in a pleasant non aggressive manner?

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Toby Greene rule is really a bit of a non event as do we have a lot of those situations? Having said that did not like what Greene did. More likely a player gets a full knee in the back of the head during a marking contest than studs (and the knee to the head is not considered high contact still??). As for the niggle punches etc well they have said that off and on for years and it usually starts out being applied harshly first few games, then a wobble period followed by throw a dart at the board and let's see what the tribunal do. It never lasts and it just gets everyone annoyed when the penalties are not applied consistently. And can we just tag the player now instead of bumping him and then he hands the ball over to the opposition player in a pleasant non aggressive manner?
Regarding the knee to the head, all it will take is for a nasty incident to happen, that catches the media's attention, which the media will milk, and the public get excited, then the AFL will make it illegal.

Ratzondix

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Regarding the knee to the head, all it will take is for a nasty incident to happen, that catches the media's attention, which the media will milk, and the public get excited, then the AFL will make it illegal.
Did you see when kade kolo got kneed in the back of the head? I thought he’d died he dropped that quickly.

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you see when kade kolo got kneed in the back of the head? I thought he’d died he dropped that quickly.
No missed that. But if it happened to 'a Dangerfield' type gun player, it may have been different.

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
I spent some time looking into the rule changes, so I thought I would share some links etc for those who are interested.

Assessing the impact on game style, SC scoring and the like is not my forte, so I am open to others offering constructive thoughts as well!

My working conclusions:

- The 6 6 6 rule is likely not a major change for most players. It only applies to centre bounces (25-30x per match) and apparently most teams were playing close to 6 6 6 anyway. Could give genuine mids a bit more time and space though.

- The changes to kick ins (distance of the man on the mark, ability to handball or simply play on) seem more significant to me. The implications are less clear but I suspect ball movement out of defence could change for at least some teams. Maybe this is a different person bringing the ball back in, maybe they kick it further from goal, perhaps there are fewer easy short kick marks in D50, etc. Interestingly the players who lead their sides for kick ins, or kick in marks (see linked article below), are maybe not as SC relevant as expected. The exceptions are notable though - in rough order I would flag Simpson, Witherden, Lloyd, Short, Sicily, Whitfield, Hurley and Laird.

AFL rule changes
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/afl-announces-new-rule-changes-and-interpretations

Discussion of changes (Hocking/Barrett)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

First VFL trial - note this included the 6 6 6 zones (ultimately introduced) and the 18m goal square (not introduced, but the man on the mark must be 10m back from kick-ins, and an actual kick is not required - so any kick-ins are from the same position as before, but with greater opportunity to play on)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-04/rule-changes-have-little-influence-in-vfl

Trials - impact on scoring (up? See below) and tackles (down)
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-09-13/rule-changes-imminent

Interesting stats piece on whether scoring actually increased or decreased!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-15/afl-rules-changes-may-reduce-scoring-not-increase-it/10247576

2017 changes (third man up etc)
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...for-the-2017-season/5kznr40ldcx811bmckkurzjq2

Teams adapting?
"The 6-6-6 is not a massive change, there's a lot of games in the NEAFL where that is how we set up anyway," he said.
"We have not had a lot of (AFL) games where we have played a forward coming in off the back of the square. Adelaide are probably the most consistent at it, Melbourne often did it but a lot of teams have started to go back to 6-6-6 in recent times. I don't know if that is anticipation of the rule or not."
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-lifts-curtain-on-rules-20180730-p4zui4.html

Kick ins - who kicks in, who goes long, who takes those marks, etc
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-22/kings-of-the-kickin

Last edited:

All is Wells

50 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.
How do kick ins get scored now. Last year when a player kicked it to himself it counted as a disposal and would get them a few sc points. Do kick ins to yourself still exist? Or does every kick in from a behind count as a disposal or is it only if they play on? Players like lloyd, sicily and witherden are quite underpriced if every kick in now counts as a stat

Darkie

Vice Captain
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do kick ins get scored now. Last year when a player kicked it to himself it counted as a disposal and would get them a few sc points. Do kick ins to yourself still exist? Or does every kick in from a behind count as a disposal or is it only if they play on? Players like lloyd, sicily and witherden are quite underpriced if every kick in now counts as a stat
It's a good question, my understanding was that the kick in itself was not counted as a disposal and that the kick of itself did not generate SC points (it needed to be long, etc, to do so). I'm open to being corrected on this.

IDIG posted a question from Brodie Smith on the previous page that was tongue in cheek, but seemingly not answered based on this:

My understanding is consistent with what MattyB indicated.

Presumably this will be clarified before the season starts, perhaps being addressed in the prospectus? Anyone know when that is released?

freowho

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
Fremantle
No clearer for me! o_O
So did the kick in player get a stat for a kick to themself? Witherden might be the one to suffer if he loses these points. Luke Ryan looks like the one to gain as he didn't play on much and he often kicked short. You would think he would start to kick longer to the middle of the ground.
I didn't realise the 6 6 6 rule meant the forwards and defenders had to stay inside the 50m arc! I would expect the centre clearance players to have more time and space.
The ABC were saying the data set isn't big enough which I agree with but the AFL's results of less tackles and more scoring also makes sense as the game should be more open. Devon Smith out, Tom Lynch in.

I would have prefferred they trial 17 players to open the game up. Less rules the better.

All is Wells

50 Games Club
AFL Club
North Melb.
As soon as the player kicked it to himself the next disposal whether it be a kick or handball counts as a stat and contributed to their supercoach score. Pretty sure on this. But now that kick ins to oneself arent a thing, how do points get scored. Only if the player plays on will it count as a stat or will every kick from a behind now give them supercoach points?? Would be good to get some clarification now but i'd imagine we need to wait until jlt and follow live supercoach scores to see how things have changed

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
As soon as the player kicked it to himself the next disposal whether it be a kick or handball counts as a stat and contributed to their supercoach score. Pretty sure on this. But now that kick ins to oneself arent a thing, how do points get scored. Only if the player plays on will it count as a stat or will every kick from a behind now give them supercoach points?? Would be good to get some clarification now but i'd imagine we need to wait until jlt and follow live supercoach scores to see how things have changed
I reckon it'd be when the player plays on (ie: umpire has to call play on) before the player kicking in gets a stat.

Bomber18

Dual Brownlow Medalist
AFL Club
Essendon
I spent some time looking into the rule changes, so I thought I would share some links etc for those who are interested.

Assessing the impact on game style, SC scoring and the like is not my forte, so I am open to others offering constructive thoughts as well!

My working conclusions:

- The 6 6 6 rule is likely not a major change for most players. It only applies to centre bounces (25-30x per match) and apparently most teams were playing close to 6 6 6 anyway. Could give genuine mids a bit more time and space though.

- The changes to kick ins (distance of the man on the mark, ability to handball or simply play on) seem more significant to me. The implications are less clear but I suspect ball movement out of defence could change for at least some teams. Maybe this is a different person bringing the ball back in, maybe they kick it further from goal, perhaps there are fewer easy short kick marks in D50, etc. Interestingly the players who lead their sides for kick ins, or kick in marks (see linked article below), are maybe not as SC relevant as expected. The exceptions are notable though - in rough order I would flag Simpson, Witherden, Lloyd, Short, Sicily, Whitfield, Hurley and Laird.

AFL rule changes
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/afl-announces-new-rule-changes-and-interpretations

Discussion of changes (Hocking/Barrett)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

First VFL trial - note this included the 6 6 6 zones (ultimately introduced) and the 18m goal square (not introduced, but the man on the mark must be 10m back from kick-ins, and an actual kick is not required - so any kick-ins are from the same position as before, but with greater opportunity to play on)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-04/rule-changes-have-little-influence-in-vfl

Trials - impact on scoring (up? See below) and tackles (down)
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-09-13/rule-changes-imminent

Interesting stats piece on whether scoring actually increased or decreased!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-15/afl-rules-changes-may-reduce-scoring-not-increase-it/10247576

2017 changes (third man up etc)
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...for-the-2017-season/5kznr40ldcx811bmckkurzjq2

Teams adapting?
"The 6-6-6 is not a massive change, there's a lot of games in the NEAFL where that is how we set up anyway," he said.
"We have not had a lot of (AFL) games where we have played a forward coming in off the back of the square. Adelaide are probably the most consistent at it, Melbourne often did it but a lot of teams have started to go back to 6-6-6 in recent times. I don't know if that is anticipation of the rule or not."
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-lifts-curtain-on-rules-20180730-p4zui4.html

Kick ins - who kicks in, who goes long, who takes those marks, etc
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-22/kings-of-the-kickin
This is based on no real evidence, but if kick ins are only classed as stats when a player plays on, it's possible that less players play on as a result of the increased kicking in area. They can just run further in before taking the kick, therefore there is less need to "kick to themselves" or play on.

Could mean slightly less stats for some of the back man if there are less play ons from a kick in.