Discussion NFL RDT Dream Team Discussion

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Usually, loopholes will be used in the kicker position but if you’d prefer cover in that position then it seems fine to use the RB and WR position due to having 2 available spots but in this format it isn’t overly necessary in comparison to AFL SC,etc. I recently grabbed the Falcons new kicker Y Koo and he performs well over the next fortnight, then I’ll likely trade Pineiro to a donut which should provide sufficient funds for an Andrews to Kelce trade, etc.

In regards to Brees, since his injury affected 1 he has been earmarked for the bench QB spot and hopefully I can execute the trade next week which will allow me to field either Brees or Rodgers dependent on their matchup for the remainder of the season whilst providing great cover for Rodgers upcoming bye.
Yeah, Kickers seem to be the obvious choice for a non-player. I don't need Pineiro either, hope he can make some more money!

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Christian McCaffrey (knee) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

This is likely a maintenance day for the stud back, but Thursday and Friday's injury reports are worth tracking just to be sure. McCaffrey is on pace for 2,488 yards from scrimmage, which keeps him in the hunt to beat Chris Johnson's record. Assuming he's healthy, McCaffrey will be the RB1 overall this week against the beatable Packers run defense.

Quasimodo

AFL Club
Sydney
Christian McCaffrey (knee) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

This is likely a maintenance day for the stud back, but Thursday and Friday's injury reports are worth tracking just to be sure. McCaffrey is on pace for 2,488 yards from scrimmage, which keeps him in the hunt to beat Chris Johnson's record. Assuming he's healthy, McCaffrey will be the RB1 overall this week against the beatable Packers run defense.
Reckon he will RB1 overall whoever he plays rest of season even with just one good knee. The guy is a force of nature and THE fantasy beast of NFL 2019! :p

Professor

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Carlton
OBJ struggled to score last week again, until he had a late flurry in the last quarter where he doubled his score. I've lost $4.9m on him and he won't drop anymore as he's bottomed out. Just waiting on the right match up, might have to bench him and that's when he punches a 40 out. lol

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OBJ struggled to score last week again, until he had a late flurry in the last quarter where he doubled his score. I've lost $4.9m on him and he won't drop anymore as he's bottomed out. Just waiting on the right match up, might have to bench him and that's when he punches a 40 out. lol
Lot of heat on CLE this week ... be interesting to see how it all unfolds ....

Connoisseur

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfathomable how poorly Cleveland have utilised OBJ this season as evident by his scoring in conjunction with the stats listed above. Hopefully, he finishes the season with a late flurry for those owners that have held him since the start and if not, then he will be a great value selection next season.

Traded him out at RD6 ($9,470,000) to Gallup due to missing out on McLaurin and Chark and the lack of cash generation in my other positions. Still could bring him back if funds permit to push Ju Ju to the bench but it seems unlikely.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty much all of the pundits say that in NFL fantasy it tends to be quantity over quality. If a RB doesn't get the carries or a WR the targets then they just don't score well. Of course, the better the player then the more touches. So quality leads to quantity anyway.

As for trades. I've rarely known a player to be put on ice to preserve their value. At least in the NFL. Unrestricted free agents, uncontracted players with a minimum of 4 years experience, can sign with any team they want. So there is no value to a team in looking after that player.
In 2014 the Cowboys had a RB, DeMarco Murray, who the Cowboys were quite happy to run in to the ground in the season leading up to his free agency. In 16 games he had 392 rushing attempts. That's an average of 24.5 per game.
In comparison, Christian McCaffrey has the most rushing attempts per game so far this year: 165 in 8 games at roughly 20.6 per game. Dalvin Cook with 19.66 per game has the second most. It's no coincidence that they are also the two highest scoring fantasy RBs.

Usually it's the player who sits out games to preserve their (uninjured) value, e.g. Le'Veon Bell last year.
Or players do what Gordon and Zeke Elliott did this year: sit out the pre-season in order to get a better contract. Elliott managed to get the contract he desired from the Cowboys so he was happy. Gordon, as far as I know, didn't get offered the contract he wanted from the Chargers but no other team was prepared to give up what the Chargers wanted in exchange. So he returned to the Chargers on what was, for him, a less than ideal contract.
Been stewing and researching on this all day ... I'm new to taking this game seriously after the first few rounds when the NBA commences so still finding my way ...

- Agree on the difference in hindsight on players being put on "ice" in this game (NBA is almost the polar opposite) ... my bad !!

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfathomable how poorly Cleveland have utilised OBJ this season as evident by his scoring in conjunction with the stats listed above. Hopefully, he finishes the season with a late flurry for those owners that have held him since the start and if not, then he will be a great value selection next season.

Traded him out at RD6 ($9,470,000) to Gallup due to missing out on McLaurin and Chark and the lack of cash generation in my other positions. Still could bring him back if funds permit to push Ju Ju to the bench but it seems unlikely.
See everyone blaming a combo of:

- An over-rated QB holding the ball too long / not hitting targets / not getting enough protection (albeit this one is being heavily debated and was my initial thought)
- Play caller not running enough variance
- O'line giving away too many stupid penalties putting the QB under unrealistic pressure / opportunities to move the chains
- OBJ being self centred
- Coach not up to it

In the end ... I've settled on a combo of all of the above ... on paper they look good but game day execution seems to be bordering on deplorable with the talent they have at their disposal ...

Last edited:

Connoisseur

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
See everyone blaming a combo of:

- An over-rated QB holding the ball too long / not hitting targets / not getting enough protection (albeit this one is being heavily debated)
- Play caller running not enough variance
- OBJ being self centred
- Coach not up to it

In the end ... I've settled on a combo of all of the above ... on paper they look good but game day executuion seems to be bordering on deplorable with the talent they have at their disposal ...
Hear, Hear.

Rupert

Draftee
AFL Club
St Kilda
Both OBJ and JuJu have been disappointing.
I started with both instead of, say, Evans and Thomas who would have cost much the same.

I also started with Baker-Mayfield. I thought that he was grossly under-priced considering the turnaround in his form last year - he averaged 39.6 in his last 8 games - after Kitchens became Offensive Co-ordinator. I thought that with Kitchens as Head Coach and OBJ as WR1 the upside was too good to ignore.
But what do I know? Kitchens might have been a good Offensive Co-ordinator but as Head Coach?

JuJu's relative failure is easier to live with given Roethlisberger was injured.

Last edited:

Rupert

Draftee
AFL Club
St Kilda
On a completely different topic: I know that the Miami Dolphins are tanking but I wouldn't mind betting that they'll show a vast improvement next year.
For a start, they are a very disciplined team. Usually a team that is losing a lot tends to give away a lot of penalties but Miami have given away the least so far this year.
Miami in 8 games has given up 45 penalties. Compare Cleveland which has the worst record and in 8 games has given up 75 penalties. The other ill-disciplined teams: Arizona - 73 penalties; Houston - 71; NY Jets and Jacksonville - 70.

Miami also appear to be getting better as the season progresses. Yes, they've only won the one game - and that was the Jets - but they led Pittsburgh (4-4 record) 14-0 and they led Buffalo (6-2) 14-9.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On a completely different topic: I know that the Miami Dolphins are tanking but I wouldn't mind betting that they'll show a vast improvement next year.
For a start, they are a very disciplined team. Usually a team that is losing a lot tends to give away a lot of penalties but Miami have given away the least so far this year.
Miami in 8 games has given up 45 penalties. Compare Cleveland which has the worst record and in 8 games has given up 75 penalties. The other ill-disciplined teams: Arizona - 73 penalties; Houston - 71; NY Jets and Jacksonville - 70.

Miami also appear to be getting better as the season progresses. Yes, they've only won the one game - and that was the Jets - but they led Pittsburgh (4-4 record) 14-0 and they led Buffalo (6-2) 14-9.
What do they do with all those early round draft picks ... bank on the future or upgrade the team ... got no idea myself in those sort of machinations ...

Quasimodo

AFL Club
Sydney
I offloaded both OBJ and JuJu after Week 3 or 4 I think. If I still had them I'd likely carry them for the rest of the season now given they have had their bye and bled the vast bulk of their cash already. Now cheaper than some of the better rookies out there which is crazy to consider given their god given talent levels. Just can't outperform a crap situation I suppose.

Both have attractive remaining schedules (at least on paper) but frankly it's hard to have much optimism given what's gone down thus far. So it's best if you can move them mainly to WR7/8 back-up duties and only consider streaming them onfield in the most favourable of match-ups or obviously to cover one of your studs on bye or short term injury.

Last edited:

Rupert

Draftee
AFL Club
St Kilda
What do they do with all those early round draft picks ... bank on the future or upgrade the team ... got no idea myself in those sort of machinations ...
From what I've heard they'll pick for the future - which could be an immediate upgrade anyway. In NBA terms, think 76ers.
Miami deliberately traded out talent to get the early picks so it seems unlikely that they won't use them on rookies. They have 3 x 1st and 2 x 2nd rnd picks. That's enough to get them started on a decent re-build.

Tails

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From what I've heard they'll pick for the future - which could be an immediate upgrade anyway. In NBA terms, think 76ers.
Miami deliberately traded out talent to get the early picks so it seems unlikely that they won't use them on rookies. They have 3 x 1st and 2 x 2nd rnd picks. That's enough to get them started on a decent re-build.
Thanks so IMO looking to be a 3 -5 year turn around ....

Haven't been following the NBA for long enough to really comment ... but take away any of their top 5 starters and they still lack the bench depth IMO ...

Bermi

Rising Star Winner
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not many good RB Rookies around, maybe this one could be good soon (bye 10 - $2,450,000).

Player News

Derrius Guice activated from injured reserve
Talented Washington running back Derrius Guice has been activated from injured reserve and added to the team's 53 man roster.
Fantasy Impact
Adrian Peterson has continued to look more impressive than anyone thought possible, but Derrius Guice was drafted to be the future of Washington's backfield. He should be eased back into action when the team comes off of its bye in Week 11, but could secure the lead role down the stretch. His true everydown skillset will help Dwayne Haskins under center as the offense will no longer be constantly tipping its hand when rotating Peterson with the team's healthy receiving back.Expectations should be tempered on what has been a bad team, but Guice's ability as a receiver could make him the back to own in Washington. He should be added in all formats.

Raju Byfield - Nov 7, 2019

Rupert

Draftee
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thanks so IMO looking to be a 3 -5 year turn around ....

Haven't been following the NBA for long enough to really comment ... but take away any of their top 5 starters and they still lack the bench depth IMO ...
I think that the main diff. between the NFL and NBA is squad sizes.
An NFL team can lose almost anyone and still be competitive, sometimes even SuperBowl winners - as Philadelphia proved in SuperBowl LII. They lost their starting QB, Wentz, in wk.14 but Foles took over and they went 5-1 including 3 straight in the play-offs.
Plenty of teams have won the SuperBowl without a Hall of Famer QB: Baltimore under Flacco in SuperBowl XLVII; the NY Giants with Eli Manning in SuperBowl XLII and XLVI.

I'd never deny the value of a good QB but it's a bit different to the NBA where I think that one star can compensate for much. A star QB can't do it without a decent O line to protect him, at least one decent WR who he can target and a defence that can limit the amount of points needed to win. Think Aaron Rodgers.

Look at the teams that have lost QBs this year:
New Orleans - lost Brees for 6 games but went 5-1 in that period
Carolina - no Newton since wk.2 but 5-1 under Allen
Indianapolis - no Luck from the start and arguably only lost last week because of Brissett injury but with a 5-3 record
Pittsburgh - lost Roethlisberger in wk.1 and 4-4

Coaching really helps, too. The LA Rams were a basket case under their previous coach Jeff Fisher. They didn't have a winning season in the 5 years he was coaching them and had a 34-45-1 record. Sean McVay took them to 11-5 in his first season. It was their first winning season since 2003 when they went 12-4.

Last edited: