Discussion NFL RDT Dream Team Discussion

AFL Club
St Kilda
Since there are 32 teams in the NFL, then each team, on average, would be expected to win one Final every 32 years, so most supporters wouldn't be celebrating their team winning many finals in their life time.

One thing I noticed playing Fantasy NFL is that there are too many teams, and too many players, to keep track off.

Since I understand the game better now, I am actually enjoying watching the game.
One thing I really like is that the rules seem to be clear, little interpretation, so little remonstration from the players, not like the AFL. But I wouldn't be happy if the AFL umpires slowed the game down, to discuss each free kick before a decision is made!
Now that there are 32 teams in the NFL, yes, one championship every 32 yrs on average.
But there haven't always been 32 teams.
There were two 10 team competitions:
The original competition started in 1920 with 10 teams from only four states. Over the next few years various teams came and went until things settled down. From the original ten teams in 1920 only two are still around: the Arizona Cardinals - originally the Chicago Cardinals; the Chicago Bears - originally the Decatur Stanleys. Three more of the still-extant teams joined fairly quickly: 1924 - Green Bay, 1925 - NY Giants, Detroit Lions (but then known as the Portsmouth Spartans).

In 1933 the league was divided into Eastern and Western Division with five teams in each and an NFL Championship game played between the two Division leaders. From the ten teams in 1933 there are eight still around. The five already mentioned plus: the Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Pirates/Steelers, Boston Redsox/Washington Redskins. The Cleveland/Los Angeles Rams joined in 1937.

Various changes have taken place since then. All very complicated.
The NFL merged with the rival AFL in 1966 to begin the SuperBowl era.
Teams have changed cities and names. E.G. in 1997 the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the Titans; in 1996 the entirety of the Cleveland Browns organisation moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens while the Browns' name/logo/history went into storage until re-established for the 1999 season.
There have been five teams that have been added since the NFL/AFL merger: 1976 - Seattle and Tampa Bay; 1995 - Carolina and Jacksonville; 2002 - Houston Texans.
The addition of the Texans brought the league back to an even-numbered 32 teams. It had become an uneven 31 in 1999 when the Clevelan Browns were re-established.

I've written all this as much for my own education as anything else. I knew there had been changes but not much of the detail.

Professor

100 Games Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Now that there are 32 teams in the NFL, yes, one championship every 32 yrs on average.
But there haven't always been 32 teams.
There were two 10 team competitions:
The original competition started in 1920 with 10 teams from only four states. Over the next few years various teams came and went until things settled down. From the original ten teams in 1920 only two are still around: the Arizona Cardinals - originally the Chicago Cardinals; the Chicago Bears - originally the Decatur Stanleys. Three more of the still-extant teams joined fairly quickly: 1924 - Green Bay, 1925 - NY Giants, Detroit Lions (but then known as the Portsmouth Spartans).

In 1933 the league was divided into Eastern and Western Division with five teams in each and an NFL Championship game played between the two Division leaders. From the ten teams in 1933 there are eight still around. The five already mentioned plus: the Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Pirates/Steelers, Boston Redsox/Washington Redskins. The Cleveland/Los Angeles Rams joined in 1937.

Various changes have taken place since then. All very complicated.
The NFL merged with the rival AFL in 1966 to begin the SuperBowl era.
Teams have changed cities and names. E.G. in 1997 the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the Titans; in 1996 the entirety of the Cleveland Browns organisation moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens while the Browns' name/logo/history went into storage until re-established for the 1999 season.
There have been five teams that have been added since the NFL/AFL merger: 1976 - Seattle and Tampa Bay; 1995 - Carolina and Jacksonville; 2002 - Houston Texans.
The addition of the Texans brought the league back to an even-numbered 32 teams. It had become an uneven 31 in 1999 when the Clevelan Browns were re-established.

I've written all this as much for my own education as anything else. I knew there had been changes but not much of the detail.
great insights, I had no idea.

Ironhawk

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who'd be a Cardinals fan.
1898: started in Chicago as an amateur team called the Morgan Athletic Club and then the Racine Street Cardinals
1920: as the Chicago Cardinals a founding member of the NFL
1925: NFL Champs
1947: NFL Champs
1960: moved to St Louis
1988: moved to Arizona
The longest, continuously-running professional football team in the US but have only ever won the two titles and both before the SuperBowl era.
So, also the team with the longest drought: 72 years

Only been to the SuperBowl once: in the 2008-2009 season.
Only won 7 post-season games: 3 in the 2008-2009 season and 4 in the other 71 years.

And I thought being a Sainters supporter was hard.
Almost as bad are the Lions, think they have had 1 post-season game in 50 years (which they lost). Only team not to play in a Super Bowl that have been in place for the full SB era.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Almost as bad are the Lions, think they have had 1 post-season game in 50 years (which they lost). Only team not to play in a Super Bowl that have been in place for the full SB era.
Yeah, they've been pretty bad - but not quite that bad.
They have actually been to the post-season twelve times but only won the one game - in 1991 they had the bye, won the Divisional play-off and lost the NFC Championship game.

In recent times the Cleveland Browns have had it just as bad.
Never made a SuperBowl. Since re-established for 1999 they've only made it to the play-offs once - in 2002 when the lost in the Wild-Card round.
Which is sort of a shame given how successful they were early on. In their first 12 seasons they won 7 Championships and were runner-up 4 times.
Originally part of the AAFC, which only last 1946-1949, they won the only four championships.
Joined the NFL in 1950 when the AAFC folded and in their first eight seasons played in the NFL Championship game seven times for three Championships.
They were somewhat like New England is today.

Last edited:

Ironhawk

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, they've been pretty bad - but not quite that bad.
They have actually been to the post-season twelve times but only won the one game - in 1991 they had the bye, won the Divisional play-off and lost the NFC Championship game.
Should have checked that, as you said it's only one win, not one appearance. Still pretty bad. Compare it to the AFL, where I think every team except for Gold Coast has made the GF in the last 20 years and it's very less even.