Discussion 2022 NFL RDT Dream Team Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
Is mcAfferey a trade now?
Might be even better at San Fran :-

The move has fantasy implications for several players, but let’s start with McCaffrey. His value won’t change a ton as he’ll remain a top-three running back in fantasy football, but playing in a Kyle Shanahan offense is an exciting thought for fans. His system has always been running back friendly, so McCaffrey should shine.
Of course, adding CMC means the value of Jeff Wilson Jr., Elijah Mitchell and any other Niners runner takes a major blow. Whether or not McCaffrey plays for his new team in Week 7 against the Chiefs remains to be seen (but we hope so)

AFL Club
St Kilda
Is mcAfferey a trade now?
Definitely not.
SF tend to be a run-first team and CMC will be their clear RB1.
They also use their RBs in the passing game which suits CMC.
CMC and his new coach Shanahan have something of a history. CMCs dad was coached by Shanahan's dad and Shanahan may even have baby-sat a young CMC - whatever that may be worth.

Maybe CMC won't get the same % of touches with SF as he's been getting with Carolina but there is a possibility the quantity will be the same.
Both the SF defence and offence are considerably better than Carolina's which means CMC will be in an offence that spends more time on the field.
Plus the quality of his touches should be much better. Garoppolo isn't a great QB but he's a gem compared to the Carolina ones.

My only questions: will he play Monday? if so, should I start him?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Andrews (knee) didn't take part in practice Thursday
Now with a second straight absence under his belt, Andrews will have just one more opportunity to mix into drills before the Ravens potentially hand him a game-day designation ahead of Sunday's divisional matchup with the Browns.

Chase has been limited through two practices indicates he's not fully healthy, but so long as he maintains a practice presence Friday he should be on track to suit up against Atlanta

Barkley continues to operate with practice limitations since injuring his shoulder Week 5 at Green Bay. Like last week, the Giants may clear up his status Friday on their final injury report, which would set him up to lead the backfield Sunday at Jacksonville, per usual.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Definitely not.
SF tend to be a run-first team and CMC will be their clear RB1.
They also use their RBs in the passing game which suits CMC.
CMC and his new coach Shanahan have something of a history. CMCs dad was coached by Shanahan's dad and Shanahan may even have baby-sat a young CMC - whatever that may be worth.

Maybe CMC won't get the same % of touches with SF as he's been getting with Carolina but there is a possibility the quantity will be the same.
Both the SF defence and offence are considerably better than Carolina's which means CMC will be in an offence that spends more time on the field.
Plus the quality of his touches should be much better. Garoppolo isn't a great QB but he's a gem compared to the Carolina ones.

My only questions: will he play Monday? if so, should I start him?
Good ol Stanford boy

AFL Club
St Kilda
atm I'm thinking of benching CMC for Hall and Pierce.
I know - on past evidence - that Hall and Pierce will get the touches but CMC is an unknown in a new team. There is doubt as to whether he will play and if he does play how large a role he will have.
Unfortunately, CMC plays early while Hall and Pierce play late so I'll have to decide Sunday night.

Another up-in-the-air choice is my 2nd QB.
atm it is Zappe but if he doesn't play it will have to be Jones due to the late game.
Alternatively, I could go for Mariota but I'd rather not spend $9.85m on my 3rd QB. Sure with his -15 BE he'll make money but that's only useful if I trade him and I'd rather not waste that trade

With the Eliminator starting this week I'm a bit conflicted over priorities: do I maintain a long-term view or try to ensure a win this week?

AFL Club
Bulldogs
I know - on past evidence - that Hall and Pierce will get the touches but CMC is an unknown in a new team. There is doubt as to whether he will play and if he does play how large a role he will have.
Unfortunately, CMC plays early while Hall and Pierce play late so I'll have to decide Sunday night.

atm it is Zappe but if he doesn't play it will have to be Jones due to the late game.
Alternatively, I could go for Mariota but I'd rather not spend $9.85m on my 3rd QB. Sure with his -15 BE he'll make money but that's only useful if I trade him and I'd rather not waste that trade

With the Eliminator starting this week I'm a bit conflicted over priorities: do I maintain a long-term view or try to ensure a win this week?
Not confident in Smith and Pickett this round?

AFL Club
St Kilda
Not confident in Smith and Pickett this round?
Thanks for that. I'm very grateful to you for mentioning Pickett.
I thought Pickett was going to miss so traded him to Zappe. I (wrongly) assumed that much the same time period would apply as with the AFL; maybe not the full 12 days but definitely more than 7.
Now I can reverse that trade and bring in Adams for Sutton.

I'm happy enough with Geno. All I want is a score around his 38 BE so he doesn't drop in value.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
Thanks for that. I'm very grateful to you for mentioning Pickett.
I thought Pickett was going to miss so traded him to Zappe. I (wrongly) assumed that much the same time period would apply as with the AFL; maybe not the full 12 days but definitely more than 7.
Now I can reverse that trade and bring in Adams for Sutton.

I'm happy enough with Geno. All I want is a score around his 38 BE so he doesn't drop in value.
I would like it to be a part of the NFL. Would be horrible to get another not long after the first.

AFL Club
Collingwood

RE:......With the Eliminator starting this week I'm a bit conflicted over priorities: do I maintain a long-term view or try to ensure a win this week?......
If I was sitting 7th in ranking, I would focus on the long-term. You have a good scoring team and the odds of playing a weaker team in the Eliminator is on your side. There are over 2.3k lower scoring teams than yours, so the odds are good for you.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Hall plays at 7.05am and McCaffrey plays at 7.25am, so, I will make a decision at 7am, after getting all the latest info I can read on McCaffrey.

AFL Club
St Kilda
RE:......With the Eliminator starting this week I'm a bit conflicted over priorities: do I maintain a long-term view or try to ensure a win this week?......
If I was sitting 7th in ranking, I would focus on the long-term. You have a good scoring team and the odds of playing a weaker team in the Eliminator is on your side. There are over 2.3k lower scoring teams than yours, so the odds are good for you.
Thanks, that's the conclusion I've come to.
I researched my opposition in the Eliminator and after a bit of work found that their team has scored about 100 points less per week than my team. Unless something drastic happens I should win fairly comfortably, even considering the byes.

So I'm definitely thinking long-term. With Pickett playing I'm bringing in Adams. Good for the long-term if not necessarily this week.

I'm still benching CMC and playing Hall and Pierce - although without any conviction.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks, that's the conclusion I've come to.
I researched my opposition in the Eliminator and after a bit of work found that their team has scored about 100 points less per week than my team. Unless something drastic happens I should win fairly comfortably, even considering the byes.

So I'm definitely thinking long-term. With Pickett playing I'm bringing in Adams. Good for the long-term if not necessarily this week.

I'm still benching CMC and playing Hall and Pierce - although without any conviction.
Doing a bit of research, most websites recommend starting Hall, just, over Pierce, so, I'll have to decide starting Pierce or McCaffrey.
Currently, I see McCaffery having a higher ceiling, and also a lower floor, than Pierce, hmmm, still undecided.
-----------------------------------
Christian McCaffrey is a quick learner, apparently. The All-Pro running back is expected to make his debut...........The Niners reportedly have a package of plays in their game plan ready for McCaffrey..........
----------------------------------
...........While McCaffrey won't have time to learn pass protection assignments this week, asking him to get on the field and run angle routes or take check downs in the flat isn't a tall order..........The 49ers reportedly have a "package of plays" in their gameplan for McCaffrey, so it sounds like he'll be at least a somewhat significant part of the offense immediately. But there simply hasn't been enough time for him to get anywhere close to fully up to speed on the playbook, so fantasy managers certainly shouldn't expect a massive workload.........
McCaffrey joined the team Friday and has been learning the playbook since. Assuming he is officially active, it's unclear how involved McCaffrey will be in the offense, though presumably, the 49ers will look to get him involved at key points in the game.........
..........It's unknown how head coach Kyle Shanahan plans on utilizing McCaffrey.........he'll likely see enough snaps in Week 7.............McCaffrey should remain a must-start despite the risk of a limited workload........

AFL Club
St Kilda
Doing a bit of research, most websites recommend starting Hall, just, over Pierce, so, I'll have to decide starting Pierce or McCaffrey.
Currently, I see McCaffery having a higher ceiling, and also a lower floor, than Pierce, hmmm, still undecided.
Christian McCaffrey is a quick learner, apparently. The All-Pro running back is expected to make his debut...........The Niners reportedly have a package of plays in their game plan ready for McCaffrey..........
----------------------------------
...........While McCaffrey won't have time to learn pass protection assignments this week, asking him to get on the field and run angle routes or take check downs in the flat isn't a tall order..........The 49ers reportedly have a "package of plays" in their gameplan for McCaffrey, so it sounds like he'll be at least a somewhat significant part of the offense immediately. But there simply hasn't been enough time for him to get anywhere close to fully up to speed on the playbook, so fantasy managers certainly shouldn't expect a massive workload.........
McCaffrey joined the team Friday and has been learning the playbook since. Assuming he is officially active, it's unclear how involved McCaffrey will be in the offense, though presumably, the 49ers will look to get him involved at key points in the game.........
..........It's unknown how head coach Kyle Shanahan plans on utilizing McCaffrey.........he'll likely see enough snaps in Week 7.............McCaffrey should remain a must-start despite the risk of a limited workload........
I'm benching CMC because I think Hall and Pierce are guaranteed to get touches but not CMC. Any of the three could go big but CMC is the most likely to go small.
Note that the pundits are talking about draft, not salary cap So when they talk about "must-start" think of it in terms of your top-24 RBs, not top-6.
All the rankings I've seen have him behind Hall and Pierce and fairly low: FantasyPros - #15; ESPN - #17; Numberfire - #42
Nice to see that at least one site, ESPN, agrees with me and rates Pierce above Hall.

Being able to trade out Sutton is a bonus with Russ expected to miss.