Discussion NRL SuperCoach Discussion

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
To be honest there’s not much.
Coates - if he beats isaako to a wing spot.
Mann - looks likely but expensive
Shibasaki - again expensive, I don’t rate him
Pearson/Watkins - stuck on the titans
Crichton - outside chance

I’ll probably start with Smith-Shields as a non-player if Scott gets stood down and Oldfield gets the vacant spot. Don’t think I could go 2 non-players though.
You're right, there isn't much showing at this stage outside of an injury and/or a coach going wild.

AFL Club
Sydney
hey all, getting close now starting to really follow it

based on trail lists this weekend my thoughts in no particular order

Dogs
Being a fan its hard to be objective but Harper really should start in that team, Okunbur hasn't fixed his defence, Harper will play eventually and I'm tempted to carry him in either way, Dean Pay being the coach I aint touching anyone else unless by some miracle Wakeham gets a gig.

Broncs
Coates will play wing for broncos, isako has missed fb and wont make the 17 meaning staggs will kick, with tonight it seems joe o stood down for 3 weeks haas a must, carrington and flegler now great options, carrington comes in for me, Fifi a must.

Dragons
Really praying Kerr comes right for round 1 but I will probably carry him in anyway he's looks an absolute gun, I'm off merrin but lets see saturday, has been reported sailer is to focus on 5/8 in reserves so saab will start, I'm not sold on him at his price. Lomax is in you dont sign a 20 year old for 6 years (!!!) to not play him, once mary is sacked he's a sell lol.

Souths
Bennett is known as the supercoach killer for a reason so murray is an avoid with this switch. I'm not in on Su'a, lowe I think is preferred, I will take knight, i enjoy watching him play. Cook going to be hard to watch but I feel i have to take the api/brailey combo at hooker as there really is poor options for cash generation. I have burns in my team at the moment but its a big if.

Knights
I really like fitzy but can't, I have ponga in at the moment but it depends on lino and who kicks, otherwise I'll need to rejog to get teddy. Best is another im considering holding but his timeframe is a bit sketcky, the temp centres / wing I think i'll avoid, new coach who knows what they doing

Warriors
Was all over curran but it seems hes not going to start, coaches like kearney and pay are was to unpredictable for me

Cows
JT is in, and probably Molo, he will start rd 1 with no mcguire but I think he will increase minutes this year and looked awesom last week.

Eels
I have moses, he plays rd 12 bye was the only reason of not cleary. Really want a back with their strong draw but very pricey, Blake is a big possible if he's fit, can't afford matto but probably really should, no messing around will play 80 on the edge surely?

Titans
Arrow in at the moment, i think hes underpriced and needs to lead the team, should play big minutes

Tigers
Have doehli but not at all convinced, kind of hoping they announce he wont kick to make it an easy one. Very tempted on Luci Leilua, he could play big minutes, any whiff of that and he's in, walters is very interesting starting this weekend at hooker.!

Storm
Papi in, have to see what they doing with smith, especially with the other smith out for a few weeks.

Roosters
Manu is an alternate to Braiden Burns, might be a toss of the coin, he will get a lot of ball and searches to be involved.

Raiders
Have taken williams, if a cheaper genuine option comes along he will go, or possibly Turpin from broncos if no mucolloch, which I'm not expecting or Walters, running api / brailey in hooker I think a 3rd option may be beneficial. Tapine has burnt me before but i'm tempted, just think Bateman will rise from the ashes again.

Sharks
Brailey a must, I have NFI what they will do with the rest of their pack, kind of need to reserve a trade rd 2 for the forwards that looks like the biggest winner I think. But the biggest descision I have is Johnson. he is in at the moment but I just dont know, I dont think the sharks will go too well this year, but its Johnson, but the injuries....
When I look at my squad I am taking quite a few injury risks, johnson, api, arrow, burns etc, I may cave and swap him for walker or maybe even kearey.

anyways all that dribble is more for my benefit, cheers

AFL Club
Brisbane
Hi All,

Same as last year, a league for those of us that play NRL SC as well - 775463.

Feel free to post any news, questions, team reviews etc in here as well

AFL Club
Carlton
It’s NRL related but can someone post this please? Link
KFC NRL SuperCoach 2020 Cheapie Bible: Contenders who shown in trials

The NRL pre-season is done and dusted and a number of new bottom-dollar KFC SuperCoach NRL cheapies did their selection chances a power of good.

Robert Sutherland, Tom Sangster, Matt Logue, Chris Honnery, Wilson Smith, David Riccio, Nick Walshaw, Peter Badel, Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

March 3, 2020 1:14pm

DAILYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU2:43

Tom Sangster's Cheapie Bible | KFC SuperCoach NRL

SuperCoach guru Tom Sangster runs through the players that can help round out your team for 2020.

NRL predicted starting teams for Round 1 2020 updatedTIPS. COM. AU: Over $2 million in prizes to be won

While guns score most points in KFC SuperCoach NRL, it’s cheapies who make cash and help transform your team into a powerhouse!

You’ll need to start with at least eight cheapies, so here are the players to keep an eye on.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO. Every game of every round LIVE & Ad-Break Free during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

KFC SuperCoach NRL 2020 Cheapie Bible

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Zane Musgrove $201,000 – Wests Tigers

There are minutes up for grabs in the front-row rotation of at the Wests Tigers and Musgrove put his giant-sized mit up for them with two big efforts in the trials. With consecutive 90-metre plus games, Musgrove was the best metre eater in both games and at just $201,000 he makes a compelling case for your fourth or even third FRF.

Verdict: Buy

Zane Musgrove made a number of bruising runs for the Wests Tigers in the trial match against the Warriors. Picture: Michael Bradley/Getty Images

*** UPDATED 13 FEBRUARY ***

Jake Averillo $171,900 (HFB/CTW) – Bulldogs

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Test cricket is back! Watch Australia v Sri Lanka live Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

Jake Averillo, a centre and winger from Moorebank Rams, is close to pinching a spot in an injury depleted Bulldogs backline for the season opener against Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium next Thursday night. Averillo played just three Canterbury Cup games last season and is on standby for the possible loss of outside backs Nick Meaney (hamstring), Marcelo Montoya (knee) and Christian Crichton (knee). Montoya and Crichton are rated little chance of playing, while Meaney would need to be running by Friday at the latest to be selected. Averillo impressed at the Perth Nines and played some minutes in Canterbury’s trial matches against Cronulla in Port Moresby and Canberra in Port Macquarie last weekend. He scored a try against the Raiders.

Verdict: No. Cheapies are thin on the ground at CTW, but it’s hard to put a buy call on a player who is likely to be named due to injuries.

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Toby Rudolf $171,900 (FRF) – Sharks

Signed by the Sharks from the QRL Cup in 2018, the big prop tore his ACL the very next day. Forced to spend much of 2019 in rehab, Rudolf then came out and dominated for Newtown over the close of the season and is considered a chance of a bench spot alongside Billy Magoulias (see below) with Paul Gallen, Matt Prior and Kurt Capewell having left the club. In the final six games of the regular season, Rudolf averaged just shy of 50 MPG, busting 25 tackles, throwing six offloads and averaging 30 tackles per game (season high of 47) and 133 running metres per game (season high 164). Cronulla run deep in the FRF with the likes of Fifita, Woods and Braden-Uele in front of Rudolf but the big man has the bash to play in the middle and the agility to cover an edge which counts in his favour in the race for a bench spot. Rudolf was super impressive in the final trial with a try, 11 runs for 89 metres, seven tackle busts and 28 tackles (with none missed).

Verdict: Definite cheapie candidate if named to the bench on TLT.

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Billy Walters $201,000 (HFB|HOK) – Tigers

The battle between Walters and Josh Reynolds is well and truly on, with Walters given the nod to start at hooker in both the Tigers’ trial matches with Reynolds taking on the job from the bench. Walters also had several strong efforts and proved a handful in attack in the Nines. The 26-year-old also scored in his side’s win over South Sydney while the old man, Queensland Origin coach Kevin, called it from the Fox Sports commentary box.

Verdict: Maybe. A timeshare cheapie hooker don’t scream ‘buy’ in SuperCoach but if you were looking for a bottom-dollar hooker who provides decent base thanks to his defensive work at hooker then Walters could be your guy.

Wests Tigers recruit Billy Walters has impressed in the pre-season. Picture: Grant Trouville

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Keaon Koloamatangi FRF/2RF $171,900 – Rabbitohs

An early headknock to Jaydn Su’A saw Koloamatangi win big minutes off the bench in the Charity Shield and the young man made the most of his extra time on the field scoring 67 points in a performance that included 11 runs, 23 tackles with one try, one linebreak, two tackle busts and an offload. The pre-season injury to Ethan Lowe opens the door for Koloamatangi to nab a possible bench spot for round one.

Verdict: Watchlist/Buy. If Lowe is not named for round one but Koloamatangi is then he is a no, however, if ‘Kolo’ wins a spot on the bench even with Lowe in the team he could be a useful DPP cheapie.

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Haumole Olakau’ata $171,900 (2RF)/ Sean Keppie $201,000 (FRF) – Sea Eagles

With injury clouds over Jake Trobjevic, Addin Fonua-Blake and Taniela Paseka, the Sea Eagles could be starting the season having to blood some rookie forwards.

Manly have a host of rising young stars Des Hasler will consider as replacements, including Haumole Olakau’atu and Sean Keppie. Standing 196 centimetres and weighing in at 113kg, Olakau’atu is a monster of an edge second rower who looks sure to see some time in the NRL in 2020. In 16 Canterbury Cup appearances last season (nine in which he played the full 80 minutes), Olakau’ata scored four tries, busted 68 tackles, threw eight offloads and averaged over 100 metres per game with a season high of 165 against Penrith in round 12. The big fella has some guile too as he displayed in round 10 against the Jets when he put on a chip and chase play on the fifth tackle before putting in a grubber kick for a try.

Both put up impressive stat lines in the Sea Eagles’ solitary pre-season trial:

* Keppie: 10 runs for 91 metres, a tackle bust and 16 tackles (five missed)

* Olaka’ata: a try, 10 runs for 82 metres, six tackle busts and 16 tackles (two missed)

Verdict: Watch for now, as one of these guys is a good chance to get a bench spot but it will depend on trial form and team lists.

AFL Club
Carlton
*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Billy Magoulias $221,700 (2RF) – Sharks

The perfect example of everyone’s favourite rugby league term “skilful big man”. Normally a lock, the Greek international sent Marrickville into meltdown as a five-eighth for the Jets in last year’s Canterbury Cup grand final, producing a matchwinning chip kick in the final moments. Also capable of playing hooker, Magoulias has long been touted as heir apparent to Paul Gallen at lock, although Jack Williams looks to have locked (couldn’t help myself) that role up and Magoulias’ versatility could make him a better fit for a bench spot. Currently the tenth most popular player in KFC SuperCoach at 29.4 per cent ownership. Magoulias does have the workrate we crave and despite starting from the bench in both trials he topped the tackle count in each.

Verdict: Minutes are always a huge issue for a utility forward. Last resort cheapie.

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Oregon Kaufusi $255,600 (FRF) – Eels

Despite added competition from the arrivals of Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Ryan Matterson in the off-season, Kiwi-born giant Oregon Kaufusi has put himself in line for a berth in the Eels’ 17 for their season opener against Canterbury on Thursday week. Eels coach Brad Arthur wouldn’t be drawn on team selections but The Daily Telegraph understands Kaufusi is in a bench cluster which includes Kane Evans, Peni Terepo, Brad Takairangi, Marata Niukore and Ray Stone.

*** UPDATED 25 FEBRUARY ***

Josh Kerr $233,000 (FRF/2RF) – Dragons

We thought Kerr had passed us by as a cheapie when he went down with what appeared to be a serious knee injury over the weekend. However, the injury has been diagnosed as a grade one medial ligament issue and he’s set to miss just 2-4 weeks, which places him well in contention for round one. Kerr is in the midst of a huge pre-season and is tipped to take big minutes off the ageing James Graham this season.

Verdict: Weak buy

Josh Kerr copped an injury for the Indigenous All Stars.

*** UPDATED 24 FEBRUARY ***

Blayke Brailey $201,000 (HOK) – Sharks

While already the most popular player in KFC SuperCoach NRL, Brailey is now a must have after Cronulla Sharks backup hooker Cameron King suffered a suspected ACL injury in their trial loss to the Bulldogs. King was nibbling at Brailey’s heels and looking like seriously eating into his minutes, but we can likely put the rumours to bed now. Brailey now continues to look like the cheapie of the year, potentially playing even more gametime than the 60 minutes per game his brother (now at the Knights) played for the Sharks in 2019.

Where Jayden was a defensive workhorse, Brayden brings more attack to the role and he possesses a deft kicking game. A proven 80-minute hooker, Brailey played the full game in all seven NSW Cup matches last year and also played 80 minutes for the Sharks in round 14 last year.

Verdict: Buy! A near must have for SuperCoaches.

Blayke Brailey has been given a boost with the unfortunate injury to Cameron King. Picture: NRL Photos.

FOOTY TIPS! Join Australia’s best footy tipping competition for your chance to win big.

Add our experts to your league and join now at TIPS.COM.AU.

*** ADDED 24 FEBRUARY ***

Connor Tracey $245,400 (HFB) – Sharks

With Cameron King injured the Sharks now need another option for a bench utility, and Connor Tracey is likely to be the man. Blayke Brailey has expressed his desire to play the full 80 and he is more than capable of doing it, but the club will likely still opt to run with a bench option. Tracey did look pretty good for the Sharks playing at five-eighth in their trial loss to the Bulldogs and scored a try.

Verdict: Avoid. Blayke Brailey is a much better cheapie prospect at almost $45k cheaper.

Josh Curran $216,900 (2RF) – Warriors

Reportedly in contention with Jackson Frei for a bench spot at the Warriors, Josh Curran can now probably be locked in as a potential cheapie, after Frei suffered a suspected ACL injury. The former Rooster Curran looked impressive playing for the Indigenous All Stars, making the most of his limited minutes by coming up with a try.

Across his three games in 2019, Curran averaged 26 MPG and 23 PPG at a PPM of 0.91. A NSW representative at under 16, under 18 and under 20 levels, Curran played 18 games in Canterbury Cup in 2019 (including five 80-minute efforts) and will push hard to play more minutes for the Warriors in 2020.

Verdict: Watch. Bench forwards are hardly a SuperCoach gold mine and Curran picked up an injury in the Warriors’ final trial.

Josh Curran was impressive for the Indigenous All Stars. Picture: AAP.

Francis Molo $298,600 (FRF) – Cowboys

The Cowboys giant has fallen a bit by the wayside for SuperCoaches given his awkward pricing, but he has looked very impressive this pre-season and was a standout in the Cowboys trial win over the Broncos. The former Broncos prop has never quite stamped his mark on the NRL but at 25 he is still young enough to have a long career. Molo made a number of bruising charges and with Matt Scott having retired, a starting jumper is there for the taking.

Scott (39 minutes) and Bolton (37 minutes) commanded decent game time last season and with no major recruits in the forwards, expect Molo’s minutes to improve considerably from the 24 he averaged last year. Molo’s PPM of 1.35 sits in the beastly range and he’s just as beastly on the field, passing the eye test with flying colours each week.

— Peter Badel

Verdict: Buy. He is on the expensive side of the cheapies, but there aren’t many affordable options in the forwards.

Francis Molo was a standout for the Cowboys in their trial against the Broncos. Picture: Stewart McLean.

Lindsay Collins $201,000 (FRF) and Sitili Tupouniua $267,000 (2RF) – Roosters

The departure of Zane Tetevano frees up an average of 37 MPG in the middle rotation at the Roosters. Add to that Angus Crichton or Mitchell Aubusson’s likely move to centre to replace Latrell Mitchell (Rabbitohs) and the injury to Billy Smith (ACL), and we’re almost certain to see a cheapie on the bench.

Collins played 13 games in 2019, averaging 19 MPG and 20 PPG at a PPM of 1.04 and seems locked in for one bench spot, according to Buzz Rothfield.

But another option is Tupouniua, who played 16 games, averaging 29 PPG at 0.97 PPM and got to start on an edge in the World Club Challenge with Crichton playing at centre, but underwhelmed with five errors. Whichever of the two wins out could be a sneaky cheapie — however, be aware that bench forwards are slow-money burners.

Verdict: Watch. One of these guys will play Round 1 but minutes are at a premium in such a stacked pack.

Opportunity knocks for Lindsay Collins in 2019. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui $217,500 (2RF) – Storm

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui is another Storm monster. In their first trial match, the Storm giant showed why he was one of the hottest properties of the off season. Fa’asuamaleaui was a notable presence for most of the first hour, with strong carries, big defence and some handy offloads. Although he also conceded three penalties and made an error.

At just 19, the Queensland under-20s forward is already 113kg and at 195cm, he was a frightening sight for NRL rivals at the Nines. Big Tino flexed his muscle in Perth, using his bulk to crash over from close range against the Broncos. Fa’asuamaleaui played five first-grade games last season and will be looking for a huge 2020 before he joins the Titans next year.

There was big SuperCoach interest early in the pre-season following rumours the star young forward would be released a year early to join the Gold Coast. Big Tino would have commanded big minutes in a poor Titans pack, but is now set for bit-parts off the bench at the stacked Storm.

— Peter Badel and Michael Burgess

Verdict: Great at the Nines, decent in the first trial, but hard to see him getting enough minutes under Craig Bellamy. A must if he moves to the Titans early.

AFL Club
Carlton
** UPDATED 24 FEBRUARY ***

Bradman Best $240,700 (CTW) Knights

While he has looked like one of the safest cheapie options for most of the pre-season, Best has unfortunately suffered a foot fracture and now looks set to miss the start of the NRL season. At the time of writing he is currently the sixth most purchased player in SuperCoach at a massive 36 per cent ownership, but is now a player to sell and just keep an eye on as a player to bring in later in the season. The Central Coast junior weighs in at a hefty 103kg and showed in three games last year he is not physically intimated by playing against seasoned men in the NRL (rare for an 18-year-old). Best played three games last season for an average of 37 points, but starts close to bottom dollar once discounts are applied.

Verdict: Sell! But still keep an eye on as he’ll likely be an option later in the season.

Bradman Best was strong in three NRL games last year.

Joe Lovodua $171,900 (HOK/2RF) or Billy Brittain $242,600 (HOK) – Dragons

With Cameron McInnes and Isaac Luke ahead of him at the Dragons it seemed unlikely Joe Lovodua would be considered for 2019. But with McInnes facing up to three months on the sidelines with an MCL injury, Lovodua could be in line for a bench spot. This fleet-footed Fijian flyer who represented the Bati at the 2017 World Cup is a talent to watch out for.

Lovodua joined St George Illawarra’s development player squad ahead of the 2018 season following several seasons in the Dragons’ junior representative pathways. The local Hurstville United junior has the ability to excel in a host of positions.

Another option could be former Rabbitohs hooker Billy Brittain, signed on a train and trial deal after the injury to McInnes. Of the two Lovodua looks more likely to grab a bench spot for now, but neither scream buy, with Blayke Brailey a better cheapie at hooker, but keep an eye on the Dragons hooking situation.

—Matt Logue

Verdict: Watch for now, Isaac Luke is set to start at hooker and Lovodua could still miss out on a bench spot, while Brittain remains outside the top 30 squad.

Cooper Johns $171,900 (HFB) – Storm

Johns had a decent game in the Storm’s first trial of the pre-season, scoring a try and kicking well, but still doesn’t quite look ready for first grade. While reports the son of Knights legend Matty Johns could start the year at halfback are premature, Johns is expected to earn a debut over Origin. Josh Addo-Carr recently mentioned Johns as a stand out this pre-season, saying he had “no doubt he will be in the first grade squad”. Definitely keep an eye on Johns as he seems likely to play NRL at some stage in 2020, depending on injury, Origin and the form of Jahrome Hughes.

Verdict: Not an option for Round 1 but serious target over Origin when Cameron Munster is out, or if injuries hit.

Cooper Johns has emerged as another potential cheapie at halfback for SuperCoaches. Picture: Getty Images.

Brandon Wakeham $277,600 (5/8) – Bulldogs

The Bulldogs halves dilemma isn’t any clearer after Saturday night’s trial match in Port Moresby. While they started with Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger as expected, Wakeham was a standout in the dogs big trial win over he Sharks, providing a spark in attack which the Bulldogs so sorely need.

The injury to Kieran Foran opens an opportunity at the Bulldogs and while Jack Cogger would seem to have first run at the vacant spot in the halves, young Fijian international, and Canterbury junior, Wakeham must also be considered.

Wakeham, who spent the early part of 2019 rehabbing a syndesmosis injury, played three games in the NRL for the Bulldogs last year (one game off the bench and then two full 80-minute games at five-eighth) in which he scored one try, assisted another and broke five tackles while making 30 (and missing eight). Not a true cheapie at the price, but if he starts in round one he’ll still make good money.

Verdict: Watch. If he is named to start in Round 1 he could be a must have, but it seems a bench role is more likely, which is far from exciting.

BULLDOGS ROOKIE WANTS STARTING NRL HALVES SPOT IN 2020

Brandon Wakeham is already a star for Fiji but is yet to make a big mark on the NRL.

*** ADDED 17 FEBRUARY ***

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow $171,900 (CTW/FLB) – Cowboys

The breakout player of the NRL Nines at just 18-years-old, ‘The Hammer’ was incredible for the Cowboys using his speed to score tries with ease, including the match winner in the grand final against the Dragons. Currently outside the club’s top 30 squad, he is no chance of playing NRL before June 30th as it stands. But from what we saw at the Nines, the Cowboys would be crazy to not get him in there as he adds some much needed strike power.

Verdict: Avoid for now unless he gets added to the Cowboys top squad, which would make him one to keep an eye on.

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow was unlucky to not be named in the NRL Nines team of the tournament. Picture: AAP.

*** ADDED 17 FEBRUARY ***

Cody Ramsey $171,900 (CTW/FLB) – Dragons

The good spies have had the name Cody Ramsey in their black books for a while. But to the rest of the rugby league world, it will be at the 2020 Perth Nines that he arrived.

The Dragons under-20s player of the year finished the Nines as the equal leading tryscorer with four tries and was also named in the team of the tournament.

Still 20, Ramsey will push hard for an NRL debut this season. The good thing for the apprentice plumber is that Dragons coach Paul McGregor can’t afford to die wondering. Given the Dragons’ lack of star power in their backline, you’d back the rookie to earn his dream.

— David Riccio

Verdict: A player to watch.

AFL Club
Carlton
*** UPDATED 17 FEBRUARY ***

Tommy Talau $208,220 (CTW) – Wests Tigers

Previously one of the most popular cheapies in SuperCoach following mail he would start at centre in place of the departed Esan Marsters, Talau’s prospects dipped following a spree of arrivals and departures at the Tigers. New signings Joey Leilua (centre) and Adam Doueihi (fullback) walk into backline spots, while centre Paul Momirovski’s move the Storm appears to have been spiked.

However Momirovski’s future at the club remains a mystery after picking up an ankle injury which should see him miss the next two to three weeks. This won’t affect his availability for the regular season but adds another element for the Storm to consider as they attempt to negotiate a swap deal for Harry Grant.

This all seemingly still leaves no place for Talau in the Tigers’ predicted Round 1 team, but he’s highly rated and almost certain to play NRL at some stage in 2020. Talau played one game of NRL last year, his debut. He also played 10 games of Canterbury Cup for the Magpies in 2019 averaging over 100 metres per game and scoring a try in each game from round 15-19. Starting CTW cheapies are money making gold in KFC SuperCoach so watch the pre-season games closely.

Verdict: Avoid for now but an option later in season.

Wests Tigers youngster Tommy Talau. Credit: Dan Talintyre

*** UPDATED 03 MARCH ***

Stefano Utoikamanu $171,900 (FRF) – Eels

While hyped rookie Stefano Utoikamanu didn’t exactly tear apart the competition at the Nines — and admitted to being “heaps nervous” — the 19-year-old did enough to confirm himself a SuperCoach cheapie who he will definitely play a role in the NRL this year. Asked about appearing for the Eels in Round 1, he said: “I’m working hard and hopefully I get there”.

Talked up by none other than NSW coach Brad Fittler, the young Eel is considered the best young prop in the country yet to make his NRL debut. The Tigers recently landed the Payne Hass-clone on a three-year deal worth about $800,000 from 2021. However, the Eels refused to release the local product from his contract a year early, instead upgrading the 19-year-old from a development contract to a top 30 deal. Expect him to come very close to a bench spot in Round 1.

—Nick Walshaw

Verdict: Watch. Round 1 teams are key and Utoikamanu appears to have slipped behind Oregon Kaufusi in the pecking order at the Eels.

Highly-rated Eels young gun Stefano Utoikamanu. Picture: Brett Costello

Tristan Sailor $247,200 (CTW) – Dragons

The emergence of Saab as the Round 1 favourite (details below) will see Sailor’s ownership plummet. That being said Tristan Sailor was a standout performer in the Dragons’ Nines side, showing serious skill with the ball in hand. While he previously indicated he would start the season playing halves in reserve grade, with Saab likely to start on a wing, coach Paul McGregor may need to reconsider after the Nines.

Sailor averaged 43.5 in three games last year, but still fits into the borderline cheapie range once discounts are applied. Sailor was impressive when given an NRL opportunity in the final rounds of 2019, notching a try, linebreak and six tackle busts.

Verdict: Sell for now but keep on the radar.

Tristan Sailor is the son of NRL great Wendell Sailor.

Harry Grant $184,900 (HOK) – Storm

Storm legend Cameron Smith could be on the verge of retirement this season but Melbourne have a promising hooker in Harry Grant. The 21-year-old has been linked with a 12-month loan to the Wests Tigers but the Storm have high hopes for Grant. He was busy at the Nines and played with the hunger of a rookie itching to succeed in the NRL. Grant and Brandon Smith are handy options as the Storm prepare for life after King Cam.

But the trade deal, already on thin ice,could now be in even more doubt after Paul Momirovski picked up an ankle injury. Grant would have emerged as one of the cheapies of the year if the trade between the current Storm third-string hooker and fringe Tigers back Momirovski went ahead. But the deal now appears over and SuperCoaches must look elsewhere (Blayke Brailey, Apisai Koroisau etc).

Grant’s stats in Queensland Cup last year are simply insane. In 22 games (playing the full 80 minutes in 20), Grant scored 14 tries, assisted 21 more, made 18 linebreaks, busted 61 tackles and threw 20 offloads — all while averaging close to 40 tackles and 100 metres per game. No wonder Grant is being compared to Damien Cook!

— Peter Badel

Verdict: Avoid pending further news on the player swap with Momirovski.

Harry Grant has been earmarked as a future star, playing for the Queensland Maroons under-20s.

Greg Leleisiuao $171,900 (CTW) – Titans

The Titans were a huge surprise at the NRL Nines and shockingly very impressive, with Greg Leleisiuao a big part of their success, forming a decent combination with Ash Taylor. The Gold Coast junior is now back in Queensland and battling it out with the likes of Anthony Don and Jonus Pearson for a starting spot on the wing for the Titans. Phillip Sami made the NRL Nines team of the tournament and seems to have the left wing spot locked down. But Leleisiuao is putting together a strong pre-season under the eye of former NSW winger Michael Gordon and working particularly hard on his Achilles heel — defence. A devastating attacker, Leleisiuao has a very SuperCoach friendly game that would make him a must have should he be named to start in round one.

Written up as a potential cheapie last year, Leleisiuao then got stuck behind 2019 breakout candidate Maika Sivo at the Eels. Rather than mope about his lack of NRL opportunity, the winger went on a tear in the NSW Cup. In 26 games he put up incredible stats including 196 tackle breaks (the most in the competition and close to double the player who came second in the stat), 4,513 run metres – of which 1535 were post-contact metres (the most of any player in both stats), 12 tries, 15 linebreaks and 43 offloads (equal most). Now back on the Gold Coast, Leleisiuao is a ‘buy’ should he be named in the starting team for round one.

Verdict: Must-have if he plays Round 1. Pre-season form is crucial as he must leapfrog some noted names, but he made a big impression at the Nines.

AFL Club
Carlton
** UPDATED 17 FEBRUARY ***

Jarome Luai $257,400 (HFB|5/8) – Panthers

Currently the fourth most popular player in SuperCoach 2020, Luai will get first crack at replacing James Maloney in the halves for the Panthers. Not to badmouth Matt Burton, but Luai was definitely more impressive of the two at the Nines, with Burton looking less confident. A livewire runner, Luai looms as a safe money-maker through the opening 8-10 weeks of the season who could then be traded up to a bye-round covering keeper.

Luai played 13 games for the Panthers in 2019 but the majority were as a bench utility with limited minutes. In the four games he started at five-eighth last year, Luai averaged 46.75 and he is priced at a $180K discount to that average. Has handy dual-position eligibility making him a quality back-up option at both positions in the halves.

Verdict: Must-have.

Jarome Luai is set to start at five-eighth. Picture: Jonathan Ng

*** ADDED 13 FEBRUARY ***

Gehamat Shibasaki $286,400 (CTW) – Knights

The best mail man in the business, our very own Wacko’s Whispers, recently revealed the former Bronco is expected to earn Newcastle’s right centre spot for Round 1. At $286,400 we are stretching the definition of “cheapie”, but he starts underpriced after averaging 59 minutes last year.

Forced out of the Broncos after the signing of halfback Brodie Croft, Shibasaki was snapped up by Newcastle. While only averaging 28 points in his 12 games in 2019, don't be fooled as three of these were off the bench and yielded poor scores. If you take these games out, his average jumps up to a much more respectable 37.

Borderline cheapie Gehamat Shibasaki is a chance to start for the Newcastle. Pic Peter Wallis

Jason Saab $271,100 (CTW) – Dragons

Saab has the inside running for a Round 1 wing spot at the Dragons and will therefore surge through the ownership rankings. The rangy winger made his debut in 2019, scoring 125 points in three games (with three tries) for an average of 41.7. At 199cm tall, Saab is said to be the tallest player to ever don the Red V.

The giant Dragons winger Jason Saab is a huge threat in the air. Picture: Brett Costello

Tony Williams $201,000 (2RF) – Sea Eagles

The former NSW and Kangaroos backrower is tipped to resurrect his NRL career by being named in the Manly 17 for Round 1. While likely scoring only a bench spot for now, Williams starts incredibly cheap following two ACL injuries and a number of off-field dramas, including his axing from the Eels last season for cocaine use. It’s a long time ago, but Williams was a solid SuperCoach performer in the past averaging 51.6 in 2014, 47.7 in 2013 and 53.4 in 2012.

Verdict: It’s a no for now but keep him on your radar. Bench edge backrowers are generally SuperCoach poison, but move immediately if there’s any indication he starts. Pre-season form is crucial after such a long time out.

Xavier Coates $203,500 (CTW) – Broncos

Got a taste of first grade at just 18-years-old last year and was immediately compared to Greg Inglis following an incredible leaping try on debut. There will never be another Greg Inglis but this kid is a serious athlete.

Coates has impressed many good judges at the Broncos this pre-season and our spies tell us he’s in the running to play round one due to an injury to Corey Oates, who is behind the eight-ball after being hospitalised during the Christmas break with a serious infection in his lower leg. Note however, that Coates picked up a “niggle” at training and has been ruled out of the Nines.

Verdict: Buy for now but all hinges on the injury to Oates.

Xavier Coates could earn a wing spot for Round 1.

Bayley Sironen, Keoan Koloamatangi, Tom Amone or Ky Rodwell (all FRF) – Rabbitohs

The exits of Sam Burgess, George Burgess and John Sutton create a cheapie opportunity on the bench. All these players are therefore in contention for a bench spot, all are at or near bottom dollar and all are now firmly on the cheapie radar.

Verdict: Wayne Bennett rarely gives young forwards big minutes. Last resort cheapies.

*** UPDATED 30 JANUARY ***

Phoenix Crossland $184,900 (5/8) – Knights

Unfortunately Crossland has bowed out of Round 1 cheapie contention after picking up a groin injury. The New Zealand-born playmaker, compared to Darren Lockyer, was heavily-tipped to partner Mitchell Pearce in the halves for the Newcastle Knights. Keep an eye on him as a cheapie for later in the season.

Verdict: Not an option for Round 1 but will play plenty of NRL this year.

Full story here by Matt Logue

NRL PHYSIO

✔@nrlphysio

Phoenix Crossland not expected to be fit to play until early in the regular season as he deals with bruising/inflammation of his pubic bone (osteitis pubis). Is an issue that is known to linger.
Treatment: managing training loads & strengthening core/pelvic muscles

11:55 AM - Jan 30, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See NRL PHYSIO's other Tweets

Phoenix Crossland has been compared to Darren Lockyer.

Ben Trbojevic $171,900 (2RF/CTW) – Sea Eagles

Currently the 11th most popular player but KFC SuperCoaches are clearly getting sucked in by the Trbojevic name. The younger bother of Tom and Jake isn’t in the Manly top 30 squad and is therefore no chance of playing Round 1.

Verdict: Sell immediately

Albert Hopoate $171,900 (CTW) – Sea Eagles

A heavily-fancied cheapie last year before doing his ACL. The son of John Hopoate is popular again in 2020 as the 22nd most popular buy. But while Hoppa is no doubt a cheapie to keep tabs on after earning a spot in Manly’s top 30 squad, estimates on his return range from Round 3 to Round 14. And after consecutive knee reconstructions, expect him to be eased back through lower grades.

AFL Club
Carlton
** UPDATED 20 JANUARY ***

Billy Smith $290,400 (CTW) – Roosters

Anointed as the man to replace Latrell Mitchell on the left edge for the Roosters, Billy Smith unfortunately suffered his second ACL injury in just 18 months during a training drill on January 20. While a more expensive ‘cheapie’ option at $290,400, Smith looked set for a huge year and his injury is a massive blow to SuperCoaches.

Roosters' Billy Smith celebrates try with James Tedesco. Picture. Phil Hillyard

Matt Burton $211,900 (HFB|5/8) – Panthers

While Luai is widely tipped to fill Maloney’s shoes, he doesn’t have a clear run to the job. Dubbo-born playmaker Matt Burton is snapping at the Samoan international’s heels after making his debut last year in Round 20. He produced a try assist and forced drop out for 38 points and with discounts applied for limited number of game, he should start just above bottom dollar. Burton has also recently re-signed with the club to join the team’s top 30 squad, and will be eligible for selection in round one.

Verdict: Sell.

Matt Burton in action for the Panthers during his NRL debut. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Tom Gilbert $171,900 (FRF/2RF) – Cowboys

The reigning QRL Rookie of the Year, Gilbert will join the Cowboys top 30 squad for 2020, and has his sights firmly set on making a step up into the NRL. Gilbert played in all 24 games for the club (at lock) averaging 139 metres, 29.5 tackles and two tackle breaks per game. He has been rewarded with a contract upgrade to join the Cowboys top 30 squad next season, and is hopeful of joining fellow Rookie of the Year nominees Reuben Cotter and Peter Hola in making his debut for the NRL side.

Ilikena Vudogo $171,900 (CTW) – Broncos

Vudogo is a flash-footed, powerful winger who was in line to join the Fijian Rugby Seven’s squad last year but was poached by the Broncos to sign a two-year deal in February.

The 20-year-old played nine games for Souths Logan Magpies in the Intrust Super Cup in 2019 and showed plenty of potential, scoring five tries in his short stint including a hat-trick in one game.

He averaged 121.2 running metres a game and displayed his tackle busting ability with 32 tackle breaks. Vudogo’s 2019 form has seen him promoted from a development contract into the main squad for 2020 as he pushes for an NRL debut. Read more here.

Starford To’a $245,400 (CTW) – Knights

Knights insiders predict this Auckland-born 19-year-old will play plenty of NRL in the coming season following the abovementioned backline exodus. To’a debuted in the final regular season round last year and immediately impressed with a try (made more impressive by the fact the Knights were thrashed 54-10). That said, both Best and To’a face stiff competition for backline spots from recruit Enari Tuala, who will start considerably above bottom dollar after seven games for the Cowboys last season.

Morgan Harper $227,700 (CTW) – Bulldogs

Touted as a potential cheapie candidate last season, the New Zealand born centre made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs in round 25 running for 117 metres and making 21 tackles (missing six). In 21 games of Canterbury Cup, Harper assisted seven tries, broke 72 tackles, broke the line eight times and threw 19 offloads while averaging 136 metres per game.

Morgan Harper debuted in the NRL last season.

Ethan Parry $264,900 (CTW) – Eels

Having been signed by the Eels when just 15 and going on to represent NSW at under-16, under-18 and under-20 levels, it was no surprise to see Parry impress when given a shot in the NRL last season. Selected on the wing in rounds 18 and 19, Parry scored a try in each game and put up a particularly impressive stat line in the second game (against the Warriors) with a try, linebreak, four tackle busts and 35 points in base. Parramatta’s outside back quartet of Ferguson, Jennings, Blake and Sivo were very good last year but Parry is ready to step up should injury strike.

Ethan Parry scores a try during the Round 19 NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the New Zealand Warriors at Bankwest Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

Connelly Lemuelu $171,900 (CTW/FLB) – Cowboys

A genuinely talented young footballer, Lemuelu can play anywhere in the backline from halfback to fullback and everywhere in-between. Last year Lemuelu played 21 games for the Bulldogs in the Canterbury Cup averaging 127 metres per game and scoring eight tries, assisting four more with 11 linebreaks, 44 tackle busts and a very healthy 31 offloads. Signed by the Cowboys until 2021, Lemuelu is a member of the Cowboys senior squad.

Brandon Wakeham in action for Fiji during a Test match between Fiji Bati and Papua New Guinea Kumuls. Picture: Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images

Brayden Musgrove $171,900 (CTW) – Sea Eagles

A big lump of lad, Musgrove has been recruited to the Sea Eagles from the Knights. Long limbed and fast, Musgrove played 10 games in NSW Cup last year recording 12 offloads and 12 tackle breaks. Check out his highlight reel from 2017.

Tanah Boyd $201,000 (HFB) – Titans

The Australian Schoolboys halfback was poached from the Broncos in June by Mal Meninga and made his NRL debut in round 24 off the bench before being handed his first start in the top flight in the final round of the season. The Allan Langer lookalike is hoped to lead the next generation of Gold Coast talentafter representing Queensland in the Under-18s and Under-20s and has earned praise from incoming coach Justin Holbrook.

Cronulla Sharks

✔@Cronulla_Sharks

Man of the Match: Toby Rudolf

Emry Pere $171,900 (FRF) – Cowboys

A hulking front rower with plenty of raps on him, Pere happens to have the misfortune of being at a club chock full of representative hulking front rowers. Pere played 22 games for the Cutters in QCup in 2019 scoring four tries, busting 64 tackles, throwing 16 offloads and averaging just a touch under 100 metres per game with the ball.

Egan Butcher $171,900 (2RF) – Roosters

Unlike Bailey, Butcher is a member of the senior squad and the former five-eighth turned second rower has big raps on him. Still just 19 years-of-age, Butcher played six games for the Bears in the Canterbury Cup in 2019. One of those games was a brief cameo off the bench, excluding that game in five outings he scored three tries, set up another, broke the line four times, busted 13 tackles and averaged 33 tackles per game. An NRL debut looks likely in 2019, but with the Roosters boasting one of the most stacked packs in the competition big minutes would be a stretch.

AFL Club
Richmond
Hey fellas running a 20 team H2H $50 cash comp. $800 to the winner, $100 to the minor premier and $100 to the highest single round.

A wide variety of skilled players involved, mostly just my mates who are casual players. We’ve got a group chat on messenger going that’ll be going throughout the season for a bit of banter.

Let me know if you’re keen to join. Currently 9 spots available and will run out fairly quick. Money to be collected once 20 spots filled.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Tom Sangster reveals best bargains as #cheapiecrisis deepens
Tom Sangster , The Daily Telegraph
5 Mar. 2020, 7:42:00 am
KFC SuperCoach is in the midst of a #cheapiecrisis with a host of bargains set to miss Round 1.
There aren’t many left standing with Blayke Brailey and Jarome Luai the only safe cheapies to lock in for now following a succession of sorry tales for the most popular bargains in the game:
* Xavier Coates (ninth most popular player) – Could lose Brisbane wing spot to Jesse Arthars.
* Billy Magoulias (10th most popular) – Won’t make Cronulla’s top 17 with Connor Tracey the utility and Toby Rudolf scoring the final forward bench spot.
* Greg Leleisiuao (11th most popular) – Has two players in front of him for a wing spot at Titans.
* Ben Trbojevic (13th most popular) – Not in Manly’s top-30 and therefore no chance for Round 1.
* Bradman Best (15th most popular) – Will miss the first three weeks due to foot surgery.
* Tristan Sailor (19th most popular) – Set to play halves in NSW Cup.
* Stefano Utoikamanu (23rd most popular) – Unlikely to score a bench spot in a stacked Eels pack.
* Tommy Talau (24th most popular) – The late recruitments of Joey Leilua and Adam Doueihi have pushed Talau down the pecking order.
* Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (32nd most popular) – Nines star isn’t in the Cowboys’ top-30 and therefore ineligible for Round 1.
* Jason Saab (45th most popular) – Set to miss a Dragons wing spot to Mikaele Ravalawa.
* Phoenix Crossland – Formerly the third most popular player but the Knights youngster is out of the early rounds with a pelvis injury.
* Patrick Mago – Looked amazing in scoring 80 points in the Charity Shield before confirming a torn pectoral will rule him out for 12 weeks.

TOM SANGSTER’S TOP 10 CHEAPIES
1 Blayke Brailey, HOK, $201,000

The most popular player in KFC SuperCoach for good reason. The younger Brailey averaged just 30 minutes last year but the Sharks have given every indication he will get first crack at filling the 60 minutes per game his brother Jayden, now at the Knights, played for the Sharks in 2019. Will make plenty of money and be an easy stepping stone to Damien Cook or Cameron Smith. The recent injury to Cameron King (ACL) further enhances Brailey’s claims.
2 Jarome Luai, HFB/5/8, $257,400
The fourth most popular player in KFC SuperCoach 2020, Luai is heavily tipped to have first crack at replacing James Maloney in the halves for the Panthers. Luai played 13 games for Penrith last year but the majority were as a bench utility with limited minutes. In the four games he started at five-eighth, Luai averaged 46.75 and he is priced at a $180,000 discount to that average, with handy dual-position eligibility to boot.
3 Gehamat Shibasaki, CTW, $286,400
All but guaranteed a centre spot at the Knights for Round 1 after an impressive off-season. The former Bronco scored a try in the recent trial, albeit against a very understrength Roosters. He is also the great grandson of a Japanese pearl diver – an awesome fact with absolutely no relevance to this story.
4 Kallum Watkins, CTW, $271,800
Set for a centre spot at the Titans and starts cheap after a disrupted first season in the NRL. Watkins has some decent pedigree, having played 25 Tests for England. Currently owned by just four per cent of KFC SuperCoaches.
5 Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, FRF, $171,900
The barnstorming prop is set for a Round 1 bench spot at the Warriors following season-ending ACL injuries to Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei. A rare Victorian junior, Taunoa-Brown brained the Queensland Cup last year before heading across the ditch. He was a shock selection at starting prop for the Indigenous All Stars, notching 88 metres in 12 runs (only David Fifita made more metres), a tackle bust, offload and 28 tackles – all in just 40 minutes. He backed that up in the final trial with an almost identical stat line – eight runs for 77 metres, a tackle bust, offload and 28 tackles. Currently owned by just two per cent of KFC SuperCoaches.
6 Kurt Mann, CTW/FLB, $287,100
Will partner Mitchell Pearce in the halves at the Knights, but has handy dual positioning for KFC SuperCoach at FLB and CTW. Starts cheap after playing seven of 19 games off the bench last year.
7 Toby Rudolf, FRF, $171,900
Take it as gospel that Rudolf will score the final bench spot at the Sharks ahead of Billy Magoulias. Rudolf was super impressive in the final trial with a try, 11 runs for 89 metres, seven tackle busts and 28 tackles (with none missed).
8 Josh Kerr, FRF/2RF, $233,000
On track for a Round 1 return despite a minor knee injury in the All Stars. After averaging just 23 minutes last year, Kerr has been earmarked for increased game time in place of ageing warrior James Graham. Kerr’s PPM of 1.23 sits in the elite range and he’s good for a sneaky try from short range, as he showed for the Indigenous side. Dual positioning works nicely with the likes of Patrick Carrigan and Liam Knight.
9 Xavier Coates, CTW, $203,500
As per above, Coates is in a battle for a wing spot at the Broncos with Jesse Arthars. He got a taste of first grade at just 18-years-old last year and was immediately compared to Greg Inglis following an incredible leaping try on debut. There will never be another Greg Inglis but this kid is a serious athlete.
10 Bradman Best, CTW, $240,700
As mentioned, Best will miss the first three weeks with a foot injury but he’s still worth carrying as a non-player to save a trade later on. Weighing a hefty 103kg, Best showed in three games last year that he won’t be physically intimated by playing against men — very rare for an 18-year-old.
Notable mentions: Billy Walters, Kaeon Koloamatangi, Zane Musgrove, Lindsay Collins
ALSO NOTE: I’m also considering running with a bunch of players just above cheapie price. Zac Lomax ($324,600), Jaydn Su’A ($303,600), Patrick Carrigan ($326,300), George Williams ($333,800), Apisai Koroisau ($338,800) and Coen Hess ($354,000) are all contenders.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
SCS Leagues

SCS NRL 1 (530184) Somebody has jumped out, so one spot remaining to be filled
SCS NRL 2 (905676) Two spots remaining